• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: The Great Netflix Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
An-Det said:
I finished DS9 Season 1 this evening, and Dax was right in that the last two episodes were awesome. The first was Duet, which had some great character growth for Kira and some awesome back-and-forth with the Cardassian. Great ending as well, overall well done.

The finale, In the Hands of the Prophets, was great as well. I was so-so on it until halfway through when
the explosion of the school happens behind Odo talking
, after which the episode propelled into a wonderful conflict between the main people interested in the events.

Definitely an awesome pair of episodes to end the season with. Overall the season has been pretty good. It has a flew flops like most Trek seasons do, but it generally worked well. Odo is perhaps my favorite character so far, the dude is badass. And I've warmed up to Sisko; he is strange compared to the other captains, but he is cool if weird.

On to Season 2.

I found that in Season 1, the episodes that focused on character development and universe building were generally pretty solid, while the ones focused on the "unknown" were duds. And Emissary is by far the best pilot of any Trek series, juggling a hell of a lot of stuff while still being very watchable on a recent viewing.

An-Det

BorkBork said:
I found that in Season 1, the episodes that focused on character development and universe building were generally pretty solid, while the ones focused on the "unknown" were duds. And Emissary is by far the best pilot of any Trek series, juggling a hell of a lot of stuff while still being very watchable on a recent viewing.

That's what I found so far. Episodes like Dax or Duet that focused on specific characters were awesome, others like Babel and The Storyteller not so much. I'll need to rewatch Emissary, it was ok at the start but I'm curious to see how it holds up the second time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
An-Det said:
That's what I found so far. Episodes like Dax or Duet that focused on specific characters were awesome, others like Babel and The Storyteller not so much. I'll need to rewatch Emissary, it was ok at the start but I'm curious to see how it holds up the second time.

Storyteller was important for introducing the O'Brien/Bashir Bromance.

Zzoram

DrForester said:
Storyteller was important for introducing the O'Brien/Bashir Bromance.

You can figure out the developing bromance from other, better episodes.

I always thought the bioweapon episode was better for establishing the roots of their bromance.

An-Det said:
If you're going to re-watch Emissary, you should also watch Past Prologue. It's a really good episode because it introduces Garak who becomes important later on.

flyover

Voyager is a piece of crap. No, not the show. I actually like the show. There are a couple dozen episodes I'd consider very good, a handful great, and almost all are watchable -- in the comfort food way that Star Trek (though I've never watched Enterprise) is always watchable. And the Doctor may be my favorite main credits character from any of the series.

When I say Voyager is a piece of crap, I mean the ship is a piece of crap. Is there a single ship-centric episode where its shields don't fail and where weapons don't go offline? Why the hell are people in the Delta Quadrant so enamored of the ship, when a goddamn laser pointer could give it a hull breach and a lighted fart in Engineering might overload the warp core?

I think maybe it's the episode with the con-artist fakes of Janeway and Tuvok, where the fake Delta Flyer takes a potshot at Voyager, and -- as sparks fly around the bridge -- Tuvok (the real one) says something like, "They are no match for us... shields are holding at 90%." So, a shuttle can knock 10% off your shields in one blast, and that's good? (And doesn't "holding at 90%" just mean you're not taking damage between shots?)

And with the frequency with which the turbolifts went offline, you'd also think someone would have replicated some stairs, after a year or two of climbing ladders in the Jefferies Tubes.

I'll give the ship some credit. Whoever designed the structural integrity field is a genius, because they used that thing every other episode. The whole ship should've been one big structural integrity field (or maybe that's like asking why they don't make the entire plane out of the back box material).

In that episode where the crew found the twentieth-century "Sanford and Son" pickup truck floating in space, Paris and Kim should've played the odds and driven it back to the Alpha Quadrant. Would have been a safer trip.

flyover said:
Voyager is a piece of crap. No, not the show. I actually like the show. There are a couple dozen episodes I'd consider very good, a handful great, and almost all are watchable -- in the comfort food way that Star Trek (though I've never watched Enterprise) is always watchable. And the Doctor may be my favorite main credits character from any of the series.

When I say Voyager is a piece of crap, I mean the ship is a piece of crap. Is there a single ship-centric episode where its shields don't fail and where weapons don't go offline? Why the hell are people in the Delta Quadrant so enamored of the ship, when a goddamn laser pointer could give it a hull breach and a lighted fart in Engineering might overload the warp core?

I think maybe it's the episode with the con-artist fakes of Janeway and Tuvok, where the fake Delta Flyer takes a potshot at Voyager, and -- as sparks fly around the bridge -- Tuvok (the real one) says something like, "They are no match for us... shields are holding at 90%." So, a shuttle can knock 10% off your shields in one blast, and that's good? (And doesn't "holding at 90%" just mean you're not taking damage between shots?)

With the frequency with which the turbolifts went offline, you'd also think someone would have replicated some stairs, after a year or two of climbing ladders in the Jefferies Tubes.

I'll give the ship some credit. Whoever designed the structural integrity field is a genius, because they used that thing every other episode. The whole ship should've been one big structural integrity field (or maybe that's like asking why they don't make the entire plane out of the back box material).

In that episode where the crew found the twentieth-century "Sanford and Son" pickup truck floating in space, Paris and Kim should've played the odds and driven it back to the Alpha Quadrant. Would have been a safer trip.

Voyager was horrible when it came to using technobabble to provide tension or further the plot. ANYTHING could be done with " a few modifications".

Or Borg nanoprobes.

Some of my favourite episodes are when the crew explore a pre-warp society. I especially liked The Communicator (Enterprise). When they did a medical on Reed and Archer, finding their biology alien, shit hit the fan. Then came a moral dilemma when they decided rather than admitting the truth that they'd instead claim they were agents for an adversarial nation - the implication being the particular country that had found them would fear their enemies have mastered advanced technology and potentially view this as an act of war. When the episode had ended and the two escaped, Archer was left bitterly conflicted on that decision. They saw the two disappearing into a flying craft using energy weapons; technology supposedly belonging to that foreign state. Had he sparked the beginning of what would turn out to be a war? Should he have authorised first contact with such people?

The ethical ramifications of what we'd later know as the Prime Directive fascinates me. There would be another incident later in the series that would take this to another level, involving the extinction of an entire species because of the Enterprise. Someone should make a thread about it

flyover

Teh Hamburglar said:
Voyager was horrible when it came to using technobabble to provide tension or further the plot. ANYTHING could be done with " a few modifications".

Or Borg nanoprobes.
Ha! I know. Nanoprobes and rerouting power to the main deflector were basically like summoning a genie out of a lamp.

Like I said, though, I still loved the stupid show.

I totally forgot that the TNG Season 2 finale was a Will Riker retrospective. I loled while watching it, there has to be a story behind that episode.

Qwomo

Anerythristic said:
I totally forgot that the TNG Season 2 finale was a Will Riker retrospective. I loled while watching it, there has to be a story behind that episode.
Writer's strike.

jarosh

Anerythristic said:
well, it's a clip show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_show). the only one in star trek afaik. but there is some background info, yeah. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_(episode)

Maurice Hurley, who co-wrote the episode, commented, "Piece of shit. It was supposed to be a bottle show. Terrible, just terrible, and a way to save some money. I was on the way out the door."

benjipwns

Banned
It's also why there's fewer episodes that season and one or two of them are cannibalized scripts from other things like Phase II.

Salmonax

Started the rewatch late, and man is the first season mostly unwatchable. I've skipped several episodes. Now in Season 3 and there are many great episodes. I'd forgotten how great Picard is when he's really in the zone.

2 months and I officially watched every TNG episode. Im sad I have no more trips down memory lane left, I never saw the first season, and watched the other seasons as a kid. So this was an enjoyable experience.

I never was able to get into DS9 but Im considering giving it a chance.

Davey Cakes

Salmonax said:
Started the rewatch late, and man is the first season mostly unwatchable. I've skipped several episodes. Now in Season 3 and there are many great episodes. I'd forgotten how great Picard is when he's really in the zone.
Picard's a beast, no doubt. I'm currently in Season 4 and honestly, the guy just knows how to get shit done. He's a fantastic captain.

I'll still say that DS9 is my preferred show but four seasons into TNG and I'm glad I'm giving it a run-through. The jump in quality from season to season is satisfying to experience. Season 1 is just bad, with a couple of winners (Datalore). Season 2 is about twice as good. And Season 3 is even better than Season 2. And at that point the show just works on its momentum. Not every episode is strong (Identity Crisis, meh) but the stories are more interesting for sure.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
im about halfway through the original series right now.

the show gets better as episodes go on, i think. i love how i can always expect if there's a random woman that shows up, she's either going to be seduced, killed, destroyed, or something weird like that. even the black guys (if there are any that show up) live longer than the women. hilarious.

there's a lot of cool sci-fi concepts, too. they seem to harp on the "energy beings" and "mind control" stuff a lot throughout the show.

Jacobi

Banned
I've started watching DS9 season 7 recently, and man the beginning is nothing else but the fucking Ezri Dax Show. After that comes... The baseball episode! i thought about making a comic about this, because it's really fucking hilarious...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jacobi said:
I've started watching DS9 season 7 recently, and man the beginning is nothing else but the fucking Ezri Dax Show. After that comes... The baseball episode! i thought about making a comic about this, because it's really fucking hilarious...

Baseball episode was great.

Davey Cakes

What's funny is that DS9 succeeds at developing Ezri as a character even though she's only in the last season. Then again, that's probably because half of the season's episodes are dedicated to her. But I actually think it works, and I find Season 7 to be about as compelling as Seasons 5 and 6.

Jacobi said:
First two episodes are as much about Sisko as they are about Ezri.

Jacobi

Banned
Dax01 said:
First two episodes are as much about Sisko as they are about Ezri.
I just thought she was pretty annoying, but only after the rewatch... Many scenes about her, were pretty pointless too (bashir and Quark debating over who could have her and so on)

davepoobond said:
im about halfway through the original series right now.

the show gets better as episodes go on, i think. i love how i can always expect if there's a random woman that shows up, she's either going to be seduced, killed, destroyed, or something weird like that. even the black guys (if there are any that show up) live longer than the women. hilarious.

there's a lot of cool sci-fi concepts, too. they seem to harp on the "energy beings" and "mind control" stuff a lot throughout the show.
Season 1 was a bit shaky to start off with, but held its ground with some monumental episodes. Season 2 is definitely more consistent with the average quality per episode. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Season 3, which I just finished viewing a week back. Definitely some great Trek episodes in there, but the decline in the quality & production values is really really noticeable; but I was always up for more McCoy.

An-Det

ErasureAcer said:
So DS9 comes out tomorrow? Who will join me in a rewatch/discussion?

Damn, that crept up. I'm in season 4 myself (finished 'Little Green Men' last night), so it'll be great to have more people watching.

Dax01 said:

Damn that was good. I'm hyped for the next few seasons (and for the War). That trailer was the first time I have seen a visual of a space battle in the show, holy shit that looks awesome.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
im nearly done with the original series.

i watched the movies a long time ago before watching the original series -- do you guys think it would be worth watching a third time around, now that i actually know more about the characters, their pasts, the ship, etc?

i kind of dont want to watch 6 movies again, but i can't imagine i missed a whole lot before watching the original series.

Zzoram

DS9 had some good space battles.

I kinda found it amusing that the trailer used Babylon 5 music, especially since DS9 is widely believed to have been a rip off of Babylon 5 adapted to the Star Trek franchise.

stupid netflix has ds9 all effed up. Start first episode? Sisko with a goatee, in the middle of hunting a changeling on the station.

wtf netflix.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So my roomate and I just caught the first episode of The Animated Series and...it....was surprisingly good. Like...really good. We were always under the impression that it was like 60s Spider-Man, but this seems actually something worth watching.

Emissary: It's amazing how this show is polished. Very strong debut. Only big cheese factor is O'Brien risking DS9 and everyone's lives by moving the station only to be saved in the last second...somewhere Wesley is smiling. Overall: 9.5/10

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone else notice that all the DS9 episodes have that little "CC" closed-captioning symbol at the beginning? That's sorta weird. Was that on the DVDs too?

How many people live on DS9? I've always thought they never did the scale justice thanks to the Promenade set. It made it seem like DS9 was the size of a large office building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom