• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Voyager is kind of over-hated I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL128

I would generally agree that Voyager gets too much hate. More so than other Trek series, it seems to get judged exclusively by its worst episodes, and every Trek series has had some terrible episodes.

At the end of the day it was a decent show that squandered its own premise, but that doesn't mean it was bad.
Voyager's worst episodes get brought up because they represent fundamental and recurring problems with the show. Threshold is horrible science and nonsense technobabble getting them into a situation which is solved through nonsense technobabble. Endgame demonstrates Janeway's inconsistency and insanity. Fair Haven and its sequel highlight the absurd use of energy and direction of resources on what's supposed to be an isolated ship. The Fight has both fake Native American bullshit, and confuses confusingness with depth and complexity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also, you can tell how little respect they had for the concept because they would just randomly jump thousands of light years ahead at random points. The whole journey home didn't even matter once they got to season 5.

Also, you can tell how little respect they had for the concept because they would just randomly jump thousands of light years ahead at random points. The whole journey home didn't even matter once they got to season 5.

Seemed even earlier than that.

What captivated me was their isolation. All of the sudden it did not seem to be a concern to anyone and it was poorly portrayed. I was also very disappointed with the different political views of the crew that did not last after season 2 besides the partial Klingon, and even that was weak minus the wedding.

Remember starting watching Voyager 2 or 3 seasons after it started and didn't realize that the Voyager is supposed to have two different crews.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seemed even earlier than that.

What captivated me was their isolation. All of the sudden it did not seem to be a concern to anyone and it was poorly portrayed. I was also very disappointed with the different political views of the crew that did not last after season 2 besides the partial Klingon, and even that was weak minus the wedding.
It's funny that the Maquis stuff was really the only "crossover" between DS9 and Voyager. B'Elanna going crazy after she learns all their friends are dead was an interesting attempt to have some continuity at least.
But yeah, for about alone as they seemed to be... they were never actually alone. By season 7, it was just another Trek.

It's funny that the Maquis stuff was really the only "crossover" between DS9 and Voyager. B'Elanna going crazy after she learns all their friends are dead was an interesting attempt to have some continuity at least.
But yeah, for about alone as they seemed to be... they were never actually alone. By season 7, it was just another Trek.

my thought, they tried to incorporate other delta zone cultures but for the most part it just became lazy.

Their appearance of isolation was terrible, I think they only searched for tri-lithium once? Seems odd since the rationing was pretty much throughout the whole show.

The maquis situation could of been a goldmine too, sad they didn't use it more considering half the bridge was marquis to start.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
my thought, they tried to incorporate other delta zone cultures but for the most part it just became lazy.

Their appearance of isolation was terrible, I think they only searched for tri-lithium once? Seems odd since the rationing was pretty much throughout the whole show.

The maquis situation could of been a goldmine too, sad they didn't use it more considering half the bridge was marquis to start.
I like how they invented a reason why Holodecks could be kept on all the time even though they were always low on resources. I mean they blew up maybe 20 shuttles? And they just magically kept coming up with more.

The funny thing about the Maquis is that once in a while they'll bring it back - like once a year - but in a "not real" kind of way. Either someone is hallucinating or time travelling or whatever.

agreed

disagreed with "even O'Brien"
like, Chief O'Brien was aces man, aces. When he single handedly updates the space station to fire some mega cannons at enemy ships, man

O'Brien4lyfe

Agreed on O'Brien; he's a great character. Really the only weak link in the main cast I would say is Dax. Of course a big strength of the show is also having a lot of great recurring characters such as Garak and Weyoun. I'd even throw Dukat in there even if I disliked the direction they took him at the end.

Misha

Banned
Agreed on O'Brien; he's a great character. Really the only weak link in the main cast I would say is Dax. Of course a big strength of the show is also having a lot of great recurring characters such as Garak and Weyoun. I'd even throw Dukat in there even if I disliked the direction they took him at the end.

I dislike that Jadzia completely revolved around curzon. They say that each host is supposed to gain new experiences but it just would do an episode focused on something curzon did then suddenly that was something core to her character. I think Ezri was set up to get away from that but with half of her screentime being related to Worf, she needed at least one more season to make it work completely. At least they made an effort to have her tastes different.

Either way I liked the character, they just didn't take advantage of her correctly in the writing.

My dad is a big Star Trek fan and I remember growing up that I was more pulled toward Voyager than anything else. Granted, I think it was the one that was on TV most of the time in New Zealand but to my 7 year old self I thought the ship was cool (really liked the angular front but now realizing how bad the back looked) , it was a woman captain (closest comparison at that time was what...Xena?), Chakotay looked Maori (especially with the face tattoo), the premise was fascinating (lost in space was better than DS9 being stuck there), and so on and so forth

Thanks to this thread I'm giving it a proper watch. It is kind of all over the place but I'm still enjoying it.

Fox318

I still can't get over how all over the show is.

Not every Captain is going to be like a Picard and sticking so true to his values but Janeway seems so inconsistent.

Janeway violated the swarms space because she didn't want to add 15 months to their trip. Effective declaring war.

YET

Janeway sides in favor of Q being allowed to die despite the unknown consequences that could affect an entire species AND had she sided against Q she would have brought her ship back in an instant.

BUT

Janeway decides Tuvix must die because she needs 2 crewman back while killing a sentient lifeform.

YET

She shows mercy to a creature that just attacked her ship whose mate brought them to the delta quadrant n the first place.

There isn't anything wrong with Janeway being a little unhinged or venturing on being a monster but its crazy how the show flips back and forth.

Also the theme song sucks balls.

I'm rewatching the episode Flashback and I've just realised Neelix's culinary skills are on par with Bender's.

Yep. Classic case of a gimmick character who's talent turned out to be filling airtime. Enterprise did a much better job by giving Dr. Phlox a lot of secrets and unusual background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom