• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is now free with EA (& Origin) Access

Helios

Posted for EssKayZee EssKayZee
From Gamespot:
Star Wars Battlefront II is now available in the EA Access vault, publisher EA has announced. That means EA / Origin Access members can play the game at no extra cost for as long as they’re subscribed.

The full game is included in the Vault version, though paid DLC is sold separately.

Akuza89

That's got to hurt for the people that paid £50 for this at launch....

watching it tumble a bit more each month until it hit the literal bargain bin...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Free with a paid subscription so, not free. Thanks :(

I barely play/buy Origin games, I won't subscribe to them for a steady fee, lol.

Getting BF1 expansions for free was cool though since I only had the base game. Thought this was a similar offer.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also, nice store interface there on Origin EA, it doesn't even show you the price of games until several clicks in cos they all wanna pimp being "free" on the subscription(s), lol, wtf.

But even those not on the subscription (apparently even old games like Dead Space 3, what's the sub worth then?) you have to click on them first before it shows the pricing. Meh.

Last edited:

Codes 208

How a great franchise IP has fallen in just two iterations.

EA.
That’s the sad thing, I didn’t hate battlefront, it just lacked content and I was bummed it stuck to only the OG trilogy and one level from ep. 7

But between reveal and release bf2 just went to absolute shit. MTX’s, the p2w route and let’s not forget how DICE pissed off Reddit so bad that they got the most downvoted comment in history.

I just tried playing the game recently and I had a really bad time. Even without the MTX, there’s still that shitty loot box system and these updates didn’t just magically remove the upgraded cards people already have. I kept get killed left and right by people using cheap ass cards that granted their weapons 20-30% power. It’s still a fucking bullshit system. If they had removed the cards altogether and made gameplay more like the first, I would’ve had no issues with it.

EssKayZee

At this point in time, its pretty much certain that any EA published game will land on EA/Origin Access a few months down the line. So it makes sense for budget conscious gamers to wait a few months after the game is released and when it comes to EA Access, subscribe for a month and play it.
While it's understandable that people who don't like EA's output or generally just don't like EA wouldn't want to do anything with there subscription services, for a lot of people on a tight budget, it's a pretty good deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That’s the sad thing, I didn’t hate battlefront, it just lacked content and I was bummed it stuck to only the OG trilogy and one level from ep. 7

But between reveal and release bf2 just went to absolute shit. MTX’s, the p2w route and let’s not forget how DICE pissed off Reddit so bad that they got the most downvoted comment in history.

I just tried playing the game recently and I had a really bad time. Even without the MTX, there’s still that shitty loot box system and these updates didn’t just magically remove the upgraded cards people already have. I kept get killed left and right by people using cheap ass cards that granted their weapons 20-30% power. It’s still a fucking bullshit system. If they had removed the cards altogether and made gameplay more like the first, I would’ve had no issues with it.

Completely feel the same way as you do. IMO, the first one is a much better game, just worse at content. The first one shuld have been built upon, but no, it was used as a bait and switch for their MTX loot-box gamble.

Even when it dropped for $5 or $7 on PSN in sales, I was tempted to try it for the single player story, but since TLJ took some hardcore all my life Star Wars fanboy wind out from my sails, and knowing that still shows support to EA and what they tried to peddle, I have abstained from purchasing it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
niiiice.

lol with the free online games i only play for a few hours and never touch them again. AC Origins and Destiny 2 and now this. oh well. time to give it a shot. the game does look really pretty...

Free is you pay monthly fee isn't free. I'll wait till it's like 5 bucks on PSN and maybe then buy it.
I got ME:A and DA:I same way.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol yeah i messed with EA for half an hour signing up, getting this account, getting that account, registering, subscribing to their service, etc. i was logged into my EA account and my Microsoft account and was subscribed but it was still trying to get me to buy a sub.

i couldn't get the game to work and got an instant refund.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so i have subbed to origin EA access and am playing this game. it's a lot of fun now that they have a bunch of maps and lots of solo content to play. i don't really enjoy the MP stuff so i'll probably only play this for a few months, at least long enough to see the new Jedi game as well.

I am having one problem, I can only play with a mouse and keyboard. my controller does not work. the analog stick is way too sensitive, and inverted the wrong way. i tried configuring x360ce but it did not work. i am using a wired Nintendo Switch Pro controller fwiw. if anyone has had any luck using that or any USB xbox 360 style controller, is there a trick to get it working?

EDMIX

How a great franchise IP has fallen in just two iterations.

EA.

So bad, 1 title outsold both originals combined in a few months. Face it, you might not like it, but its broken several records and is not the default series to many regarding that IP, combined sales is something crazy like 25 million. Trust me, that isn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So bad, 1 title outsold both originals combined in a few months. Face it, you might not like it, but its broken several records and is not the default series to many regarding that IP, combined sales is something crazy like 25 million. Trust me, that isn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

Sales don’t always measure quality. Especially personal thoughts on the subject.

There are very few AAA games that they sell together for $5-7 in every digital sale that are not that old with a world renowned IP attached. That is practically giving them away.

And damn your quoting an old ass post, go troll somewhere else with your circular sales argument, you that bored?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sales don’t always measure quality. Especially personal thoughts on the subject.

There are very few AAA games that they sell together for $5-7 in every digital sale that are not that old with a world renowned IP attached. That is practically giving them away.

And damn your quoting an old ass post, go troll somewhere else with your circular sales argument, you that bored?

Not trolling, we simply disagree. Not everyone disagreeing with you is "trolling". "Sales don’t always measure quality" They don't and never said it does, but its our only measuring point that is 100% objective. Someone can SAY the last titles on PS2 and XB were better, but we have clear numbers this gen showing that folks clearly spent money on DICE's Battlefront.

'There are very few AAA games that they sell together for $5-7 in every digital sale"

When they moved 14 million, it wasn't for sale at "$5-7" though.... Most of the sales of Battlefront 1 and 2 and most games for that matter come around the first 6 months, you couldn't get either title for $5 at the time.....

In fact, it shows that even MORE own the game then, if it not at 25 million and you feel the $5 sales have boosted the sales, it means its beyond what EA has reported then.... We'll have to see what EA states. Regardless, someone likes the series and if it wasn't any good, the sales would reflect at least something.

"a world renowned IP attached" It was that during the PS2 and XB generation, clearly those sales didn't show up. Many are "renowned IP" heck look at Harry Potter, thats a MASSIVE IP, how many of those games are moving 15 million like its nothing in a few months? Transformers? So you can not like Star Wars under DICE, thats fine, but relax on the whole "fallen" rhetoric as the numbers just don't remotely support that. Even worst is trying to dismiss others like it by making it seem its because the IP alone or simply cause discounts. its ok that someone disagrees with you, relax on trying to make it seem as if its this questionable thing that someone else bought it full price in 6 months to actually play. If the IP ALONE was why it sold ,you'd see every damn movie game coming out doing 15 million. I don't play the Call Of Duty series, but I don't also go around pretending its selling cause discounts or hype alone or anything like that. I don't like it, but I also understand its moving units cause someone actually does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom