• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers]

Welfare

Xbox One has a 10 hr trial of Battlefront on EA Access so the numbers are highly inflated. The real numbers are probably in line with the PC version.

Assuming that a majority of EA Access members have not already used up the 10 hours they have had for a week.

These numbers will be interesting to see during the movies opening week.

Dysun

PC audience is doa for anything console centric

Put hats in your games and youll sell millions though

i buy all my games on pc

Anyone remember the peak in players online for Call of Duty last generation on Xbox 360? I remember Black Ops 2 at launch was around 600k online for PS3.

Best wishes.

Sonys lackluster first party lineup for the holidays paid off, congrats.

2968393-giphy1.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's concurrent though right? Over the next two months I see this game adding new users.

Sure, but as they do so, a good number of players who bought the game at launch will drift away. And since opening numbers are always a huge chunk of total sales, it'd be odd for Battlefront to add all that many new users, especially with somewhat middling word-of-mouth.

Still I expected higher player counts than that. If this is accurate its not all that impressive imo

It's about in-line with what I'd anticipated; the game really wasn't quite as hyped as many were led to believe, I don't think. It has presence, and it'll do pretty well, but it's not taking the crown from CoD -- or even coming close. Star Wars games don't sell like people think they do. Not even now. They sell reasonably well, sometimes, but they're rarely crushing NPDs.

RobNBanks

Banned
If it had been $30 however...

"PC gamers are picker" goes out the window when you consider hundreds of thousands play the middling quality 3rd remake of a game with decades old gameplay.

lol

1. CSGO isn't a remake.
2. Clearly people prefer gameplay from before you were born

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn son. Went all out with that comment lmaoooo. Lol seriously man I don't get this comment.
It's not really that hard to get. If you own an Xbox you have more interesting exclusives to chose this Holiday season. It's no science, Sonys whole marketing is focused on 3rd party title while MS is also pushing their exclusive games like Halo and Tomb Raider.

No need to get defensive about simple facts.
Of course the game would sell more on PS4 anyways... But I think not having as much of a first party presence on the system this holidays is a factor as well.

Theorry

Sure, but as they do so, a good number of players who bought the game at launch will drift away. And since opening numbers are always a huge chunk of total sales, it'd be odd for Battlefront to add all that many new users, especially with somewhat middling word-of-mouth.

Gameplay trailer in the cinema just before the movie starts. Boom. :p

I'd be curious how many people on PC asked for refunds. I bought the game, played it, and had no desire to keep it. Dan Ryckert brought up that he doesn't think the game will have legs a number of times and I wholeheartedly agree with him. There just really isn't much to the game.

It's not really that hard to get. If you own an Xbox you have more interesting exclusives to chose this Holiday season. It's no science, Sonys whole marketing is focused on 3rd party title while MS is also pushing their exclusive games like Halo and Tomb Raider.

No need to get defensive about simple facts.
Except tomb raider looks to be the last thing on xbox owners minds and im pretty sure battlefront,fallout and call of duty is out shining halo.

viHuGi

Banned
That's in ~1AM CET time and when USA is sleeping/waking up.

It's more than fine.

Wait until Sunday mate, around 4PM UK, the numbers on Ps4 will be much bigger because:

1 - Nothing beat Ps4 in EU.
2 - EU players will be playing in force.

Boke1879

I'm expecting Black Friday, The movie and Christmas to add new users. And EA isn't going to abandon this game. It'll sell it's 10 million and the playerbase will be there. I'm not worried about that.

shootfast

Xbox One has a 10 hr trial of Battlefront on EA Access so the numbers are highly inflated. The real numbers are probably in line with the PC version.

The reverse might also be true, people played it for 10 hours before release and went that is enough Battlefront for me and didn't buy the game.

viHuGi

Banned
Jesus christ, that's just scary.

I know LoL has a concurrent player number of 7.5+ Million, but actually seeing the number is insane.

You can play League on any Pc, also this is only 360 numbers, League is F2P this one costs 60$ back in the day.

Different beasts my friend...

watdaeff4

Not surprised that the PS4 player count is the highest

Surprised at how low the total user count is. Thought this would be the #1 or #2 game this month. I realize this is just a snapshot but may be wrong.

Surprised that the PC user count is so low

Surprised that the PS4:XB1 ratio is that much lower than the install base. Assumed people who had both consoles would lean towards the PS4 version like I did. You know what they say about assumptions and all that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm expecting Black Friday, The movie and Christmas to add new users. And EA isn't going to abandon this game. It'll sell it's 10 million and the playerbase will be there. I'm not worried about that.

The only part I'm not so sure on is the playerbase still being there in two months or more. I expect a sizable number of current players to drift off fairly quickly. But we shall see!

We have no proof of that, Treyarch does not disclose numbers anymore.

Ive just seen it reported no idea.

Either way this really isn't an impressive number. I'm curious to see how it peaks in the next few days because if it stays around here thats not great

You can play League on any Pc, also this is only 360 numbers, League is F2P this one costs 60$ back in the day.

Different beasts my friend...

only on 1 platform, in fact it's singlehandedly almost outclassing the primary platform on PC.

Different beasts indeed.

Sunday i will post here and believe me the numbers on Ps4 will be bigger, not sure if MUCH bigger but bigger.

you really just need to look at it when the US players are in school/at work

viHuGi

Banned
Ive just seen it reported no idea.

Either way this really isn't an impressive number. I'm curious to see how it peaks in the next few days because if it stays around here thats not great

Sunday i will post here and believe me the numbers on Ps4 will be bigger, not sure if MUCH bigger but bigger.

Robcat

Banned
I remember call of duty on 360 having over 1 mill online during the first week. It was probably the same on ps3. I guess there are to many shooters out right now because I expected higher numbers.

This game will be on every kids Christmas/Hanukkah list, so expect numbers to soar during late December, mainly on PS4 and XB1.

Right around the time the new movie drops in theaters.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been playing it on PS4 and I'm enjoying it. I'm not a shooter fan, but the ability to play in TPS mode is awesome for me.

I really suck at it though and I continuously get my ass handed to me. My K/D ratio is the stuff of comedic legend.

viHuGi

Banned
As an aside, how populated with "Star Wars: Battlefront" are everyone's console/PC friends lists right now?

Tbh Zero on my FL.

Everyone is either playing Fallout or Black Ops. Many on Destiny aswell and should i say Fifa? i dont want to lol

4Tran

the only monster FPS on PC is Counter-Strike. Outdoing every version of this game combined easily.
Crossfire too, although I don't know if anyone on this forum is going to care about it. In any case, Battlefront isn't a very PC-centric game, and so it wouldn't be surprising if it doesn't perform as well there as it does on consoles. By contrast, Fallout 4 is very PC-centric, so it sells very well on PC. The only thing that I find odd is that the Battlefield games generally perform very well on PC, but Battlefront's simplification seems to make it less welcome.

Top Bottom