• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX moves to December 20, 2019. One week after Wonder Woman 2

kswiston

This was announced on Deadline and several other sites

http://deadline.com/2017/09/star-wa...r-robin-project-opens-next-august-1202168132/

On the heels of J.J. Abrams taking over the directing reins of Star Wars: Episode IX, the final Skywalker family trilogy title will now open on Dec. 20, 2019 instead of May 24, 2019. This will certainly put in motion a domino effect as several studios will likely scurry to slot their pics over Memorial Day weekend 2019, and also move out of the way of Star Wars path as it barrels into December 24 months from now.

Wonder Woman is currently slated for December 13, 2019. I am curious to see if WB sticks to their guns, or if they move Wonder Woman out of December.

EDIT: December 2019 is still too far off to have a solid schedule for, but here's what is currently slated for the month:

December
• Wonder Woman 2 (WB) - 12/13
• Masters of the Universe (2019) (Sony) - 12/18
• Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] (BV) - 12/20
• Wicked (Uni.) - 12/20
• SPA Animated Franchise II (2019) (Sony) - 12/25

EDIT 2: Disney also confirmed that the live action Christopher Robin Movie will debut on August 3rd, 2018

Guy Richie's Aladdin is taking Star Wars' Memorial Day opening in May 2019. It was previously planned for that December 20, 2019 slot.

Miyahon

I find it interesting that Star Wars VIII and IX were both originally in May but then they all got delayed till December.

Expected.
Yeah, WW2 should probably move a few weeks. Considering the legs the first one had, having Star Wars taking up an insane amount of screens the next week would be a massive loss for WB.

Edit: damn, that's a busy december, although we'll see about Sony's Masters of the Universe. It'll either be pushed back, end up in development hell for a few more years of fail miserably.

Sulik2

No surprise, there is no reason to release Star Wars movies in the summer when you can own the box office completely to yourself for 6 - 10 weeks in the winter. Christmas time should be Star Wars time from here on out.

Not shocking.
Now they just have to push Han Solo to December next year, and it will be as it should.

I like watching Star Wars in December.

Am I reading that right? Disney is also releasing a live action fairy tale adaptation the same day?

No, I think they are saying that they moved Aladdin from December, and its now coming out in May (it switched spots with Star Wars)

If it were possible, WW2 should take that May slot.
Realistically, they should probably push back to November or grab March 2020.

This reminds me when BvS and Civil War had the same release date. That was good thread XD

kswiston

I updated the OP, but Guy Ritchie's Aladdin is going to take Episode IX's memorial day slot. I guess that it was originally planned for December 2019.

Arc

Gotta respect the power move here by Disney telling Warner Bros who their daddy is. WB has no choice but to move WW2.

pestul

I was always hoping for a good Masters of the Universe film.. but it would be screwed without a move as well. (I don't think this will be good)

kswiston

Why would they have WW in the december slot? It did super well for them releasing early summer.

This the current Summer 2019 schedule

May
• Untitled Avengers (BV) - 5/3
• Minecraft (WB) - 5/24
• Disney's Aladdin (Live Action) - 5/24

June
• Charlie's Angels (2019) (Sony) - 6/7
• The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Uni.) - 6/7
• Untitled Fox/Marvel Film I (2019) (Fox) - 6/7
• Untitled DC Film (June 2019) (WB) - 6/14
• Toy Story 4 (BV) - 6/21
• Cowboy Ninja Viking (Uni.) - 6/28
• Transformers 6 (Par.) - 6/28 (this will be dropped)

July
• Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (Sony) - 7/5
• Top Gun (2019) (Par.) - 7/12
• The Lion King (Live Action) (BV) - 7/19

They could throw Wonder woman into their June 2019 placeholder slot, but there's going to be a ton of competition in those three months.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why would they have WW in the december slot? It did super well for them releasing early summer.

No idea. I think they did it to put pressure on Jenkins. They announced the date after Comic-Con, before they finalized her deal. Then she fired back with her deal with that TNT show. They've been spinning around each other for months now.

I think it should stay a summer movie too.

Wonder Woman 2's definitely moving to 2020.

Damn Disney and their studio fuckups forcing other films people want to see to come out later than they should.

200.gif

Top Bottom