• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Fans Launch Class Action Lawsuit Over Cancelled KOTOR 2 DLC

Draugoth

Gold Member
kotor-2.jpg

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords was ported to Switch last year, breathing new life into the often-overlooked sequel. Better yet, the announcement trailer stated that the Restored Content Mod would be available as DLC, which as many fans will tell you, is the best way to experience the classic RPG. However, amid trouble behind the scenes, the DLC was later cancelled, leaving KOTOR 2 just as unfinished as it is on other platforms.

Now, fans are mobilising, launching a class action lawsuit against developer Aspyr Media and publisher Saber Interactive. The suit is said to involve multiple fans who purchased KOTOR 2 on Switch, arguing that they would not have done so if not for the promised DLC. The suit argues that Aspyr and Saber are legally obligated to provide refunds, as some buyers say they never even played the game because they were waiting for the restored content.

The case, Malachi Mickelonis v. Aspyr Media, Inc. et al, can be viewed online, showing that it was filed in July of this year. The fans and their lawyer, Ray Kim, demand a jury trial, and the defendants have until October 4 to respond.

In 2022, Defendants [Aspyr and Saber] advertised KOTOR to users of the video console Nintendo Switch as having never-before released 'Restored Content DLC.Plaintiff and numerous other consumers were excited about the new content that Defendants claimed was 'coming soon.' In fact, KOTOR sat at the top of Nintendo’s e-Shop rankings.

Plaintiff felt completely duped," the lawsuit continues. "In fact, Plaintiff did not even play KOTOR after purchasing it, instead choosing to wait until the Restored Content DLC was released.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
"I'm going to buy a product now that I have no intention of playing at full price, instead of waiting for the DLC, a sale, or even inflation to make the acquisition cost lower in the future."

Stupid move. Then again, I'm all for companies getting the shaft in favor of individual consumers, so I hope the little guys win.

Crew511A

Unfortunately, companies releasing incomplete games is the norm now. I wonder if we'll ever see a resolution to Halo Infinite's campaign.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The storyline definitely seems to certainly not be concluded. If I remember correctly, there were parts of the map that the Chief never went to.
The campaign is complete. It sets up a sequel, but the main campaign is complete at the end of the story.

Crew511A

The campaign is complete. It sets up a sequel, but the main campaign is complete at the end of the story.
I don't know how to insert spoilers, so let me just say there were a lot of loose ends, especially if you watch the ending on Legendary. I'm pretty sure the rest of the campaign was supposed to be told through additional DLC we're apparently not getting.

fatmarco

I don't know how to insert spoilers, so let me just say there were a lot of loose ends, especially if you watch the ending on Legendary. I'm pretty sure the rest of the campaign was supposed to be told through additional DLC we're apparently not getting.
Yeah there's a cut scene where the Arbiter stabs Revan in the back and winks at the camera that was meant to be exclusive to the Switch version of Knights of the Halo Infinite II: The Covenant Lords.

Svejk

Been playing this in my phone.. never played it before. (Loved the first one) So you're telling me the game is basically incomplete without this dlc?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Been playing this in my phone.. never played it before. (Loved the first one) So you're telling me the game is basically incomplete without this dlc?
The game was rushed out unfinished. Fans found the unfinished content in the files and created a mod that completes the game. Aspyr promised to release the mod with the Switch port to bait people into buying it, only to cancel plans to release it when they shipped the game. Thus the lawsuit.

Quasicat

I picked up the Kotor double pack for $12 and got the Force Unleashed for free as a consolation gift. I’m cool with this outcome.

Puscifer

The storyline definitely seems to certainly not be concluded. If I remember correctly, there were parts of the map that the Chief never went to.
I somehow managed to miss the reveal trailer and couldn't believe how much they showed that didn't exist in the full game.

Hip Hop

Gamers have a lot of rage when they don't get things as promised hopefully something comes out of this or at the very least it will deter other companies from doing the same.

Top Bottom