• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars is getting brand new Expanded Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I am glad they got this out of the way. I felt the EU was lazy and contrived, like most fan fiction. Not to say there weren't high points like Heir to the Empore.

This sums up my feelings as well. EU had some high highs (Thrawn, KotOR) but mostly low lows.

I'm sad to see KotOR being thrown out with everything else there though. Hope it can be re-canonized somehow.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait, what is there to stop future Star Wars Films from being set in the Legends of Star Wars universe? Or a Pixar version of Heir to the Empire?

Serialized nature? They are about to do oneshots about different characters, etc. If anything, the Star Wars movies are about to get more stand alone in nature. What is to stop an EU driven director like Kyle Newman saying, yep, I'm gonna canonnize Thrawn and the Vong.

I really doubt Disney gives a damn about story elements, at the end of the day people are going to go because of Star Wars. They pretty much let JJ do whatever he wants with the story and I assume Kennedy cares either. At the end of the day, if they bring in talent to work on Star Wars, I think they are just going to let him work on Star Wars. JJ has very little oversight so I assume another one with his caliber would have little oversight too.

You're saying a lot of different things. You first asked what would stop them from making movies set in the alternate Legends EU, and that's pretty obvious. Disney isn't going to spend $200m on a movie in a different universe and confuse people. Similarly, if you think Disney is going to make those 'standalone' movies such that audiences feel like they don't have to see them to see the whole universe, you're kidding yourself. Just because they follow one character and may be origin stories doesn't mean they won't tie in with the bigger picture. They're going to do the same as they're doing with Marvel and turn this into a self-perpetuating machine, with each movie building the universe out and making people feel increasingly compelled to see each and every movie.

If you're asking whether this new EU may end up borrowing some elements from Legends, that's an entirely different question and infinitely more likely.

LucasFilm threw together a group to watch over various books and games, etc.

Do you really think they are going to dictate to a film director?

"In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers..."

Seems like the movies dictate the New EU but I hardly doubt anyone will dictate the new movies.

Kyle Newman has got to get in on this...
Yes. They won't be the only or the final say, but that's their purpose. They're guiding the whole universe. Those guys combined with Kasdan, Kinberg, etc will be crafting this whole massive enterprise, much like Kevin Feige, Whedon and company are doing for Marvel. You're kidding yourself if you think Disney's going to give directors a blank check and autonomy to do whatever they want. Disney needs to show results to stockholders, not create niche movies to appeal to the diehard EU fanbase.

I get a good chuckle out of this a bit, especially when people are happy about it being wiped out saying the stories were all crap.

And yet it seems the old authors are still the same people doing the new stuff. Some people will say sure but they are under guidance now and told what they can't and can do. Yet even Lucas did the same thing with the old one as well and told them they couldn't do things at times and to get rid of characters or change plots.

Ah well, history and all that.

Yeah all the problems with the modern EU will return with vengeance very quickly. Only difference is that all the old problems will be dancing to the tune of a bad director in Abrams.

Toxi

Banned
This reminds me of the New 52.
Thrawn isn't all that "believable" He's COOL, yeah. But even Sherlock Holmes would give this dude the side-eye for his ability to infer things based on looking at someone's favorite painting.
To be fair, Thrawn basically lost because he made a horrible mistake. He's charismatic and creative, but I don't think he was that good at reading people.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So, just to get this all straight, all past EU SW stuff is now officially not canon or does it lie in some ambiguous limbo like state? Is it all even more non-canon than Star Trek novels, comic books and games (sans the newest ST video game, which believe it or not, was stamped as canon by Paramount) and now SW EU is brutally abandoned to non existence? Or is there still a chance of Darth Nihilus running around, dirty and horny to eat planets and stuff? I feel for that one really expensive EU venture called SWTOR.

Blader

So, just to get this all straight, all past EU SW stuff is now officially not canon or does it lie in some ambiguous limbo like state? Is it all even more non-canon than Star Trek novels, comic books and games (sans the newest ST video game, which believe it or not, was stamped as canon by Paramount) and now SW EU is brutally abandoned to non existence? Or is there still a chance of Darth Nihilus running around, dirty and horny to eat planets and stuff? I feel for that one really expensive EU venture called SWTOR.

It's all definitively non-canon. The only things that are canon are the movies and the Clone Wars tv series. Everything else, not.

It's all definitively non-canon. The only things that are canon are the movies and the Clone Wars tv series. Everything else, not.

But! A lot of the better parts will still heavily influence new canon, meaning characters like Thrawn will likely still exist to some extent (this has already happened to Bane) and certain big events will still occur in some form. So in a way it is in a sort of limbo until each specific part is basically rewritten.

strobogo

Banned
But! A lot of the better parts will still heavily influence new canon, meaning characters like Thrawn will likely still exist to some extent (this has already happened to Bane) and certain big events will still occur in some form. So in a way it is in a sort of limbo until each specific part is basically rewritten.

The MCU approach is the best approach possible.

TFU seems like it wasn't possible to be actual canon and I've never read any of the EU stuff.

Tablo

I love the EU. But if this means that TFU and SWTOR are purged then I'm fine. Abrams fucked up on the latest ST movie, I liked the first. I fear what he might do, although if the plot is good then it should be good. My issue as a trekkie with ST Into Darkness was the lack of meaningful narrative, it was superficial and overly focused on stupid personal shit between characters.
I hope the coming canon books will be good! I love me some good EU reading, in SW and ST!

All this talk of KOTOR is going to make my rebuy on Steam.

I do wonder if we'll ever get a remade prequel trilogy though. I would much rather have seen a more noble and likeable Anakin fall from grace who taps more and more into the dark side to win battles in the war against all odds.

The idea I've seen put out there by lots of people that regular Joes would have to enlist to a fight a war against some kind of Clone Army would've been better than what we got, much like KOTOR perhaps some Jedi saw it necessary to join the war effort (Anakin) whilst others felt it was not the Jedi's place to get involved (Obi-Wan). That tears their friendship apart but at the very least we'll have the opportunity to see them as good friends and can appreciate their opposing views. Anakin as one of the most powerful Jedi fighting the war becomes a poster boy of sorts (manipulated by Palpatine of course)

Anakin could've met (and slept) with someone whilst fighting the war - at this stage he's been exiled for joining the war so fuck the Jedi code anyway - who mothers Luke and Leia. Have Obi-Wan hear stories about Anakin using the dark side to win and in order to save his friend "joins" the war effort leaving the Order behind him as well. On the hunt he finds this woman - now obviously pregnant - and sends her into hiding. Has his showdown with Anakin who is passed the point of saving, seemingly kills him and finally unable to return to the Order he left to save his friend he lives out his life on Tatooine. Can still have the Jedi wiped out by a restored Vader who the propoganda can say was injured by the Jedi (Republic soliders who witnessed the battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan) and ultimately turns public perception against them. Obi-Wan on Tatooine obviously escapes the purge.

Wrote more than I planned to there but the prequels just disappoint me so much at what they could've been (that I would've liked anyway).

ankuo

Banned
the more i hear about this the more i get pissed off. Worst thing ever was to get rid of the clone wars it was amazing. i hate this kiddy pussification direction they are going with the show...

monome

the more i hear about this the more i get pissed off. Worst thing ever was to get rid of the clone wars it was amazing. i hate this kiddy pussification direction they are going with the show...

damn.

give it a few years and you can bet both your balls some "mature" SW stuff will come out.

Just let it go right now. And focusing on Rbels vs Clone Wars is missing the point.
They are making Episode VII. Yes Episode fucking VII.

Blader

They're not getting "rid of" anything. It's still there, you can still watch it and enjoy it.

There's no limbo. It's non-canon until they decide to reuse it as something canon.

There's no limbo. It's non-canon until they decide to reuse it as something canon.

To people that actually care about the EU, that is limbo. We can't just pretend it never happened after spending years absorbing it all. Good irl example, most people still consider Pluto a planet.

Marvel cinematic universe. The marvel heroes movies. And I expect that approach too. Take what works, and rearrange to fit in a 2 hour movie.

Edit: interpreted that wrong, new response: Yeah, they won't even go that far. They might nit pick a few characters like Thrawn and Jade if we're lucky but chances are the events in the movie will be completely new and not based at all on existing material. The only material pertaining to actual events that make get worked back in will be ones that exist prior to the movies.

strobogo

Banned
To people that actually care about the EU, that is limbo. We can't just pretend it never happened after spending years absorbing it all.

The marvel movies are set in a different canon from the comics. Thats not how Star Wars is going to work.

That's how it SHOULD work, is the point. Let the EU be its big dumb thing and use the movies to take the best parts for the best story.

Blader

To people that actually care about the EU, that is limbo. We can't just pretend it never happened after spending years absorbing it all. Good irl example, most people still consider Pluto a planet.

But none of it happened anyway -- it's all fiction -- so why does it matter whether it's canon or not as long as you like it? Because the implication I get from comments like these is that it's more important to people that the books, comics, games, etc. "matter" to the overall timeline more than they're good or bad in their own right.

And I say this as a (once) long-time fan of the EU who never read the Thrawn trilogy or X-Wing books, and never played KOTOR, so my standards for quality are probably much much lower than yours. :lol

But none of it happened anyway -- it's all fiction -- so why does it matter whether it's canon or not as long as you like it? Because the implication I get from comments like these is that it's more important to people that the books, comics, games, etc. "matter" to the overall timeline more than they're good or bad in their own right.

And I say this as a (once) long-time fan of the EU who never read the Thrawn trilogy or X-Wing books, and never played KOTOR, so my standards for quality are probably much much lower than yours. :lol

This is similar to my views, I've been reading a lot of EU material for the first time in my life and instead of seeking out what's canon or making sure I read in a certain timeline, I've been concerned with finding the better written stories in the universe. I still haven't gotten into any of the NJO stuff, but have read the Thrawn trilogy, Bane trilogy, Plagueis. I'm just looking for a good book to read, doesn't matter to me if some exective at Lucas or Disney tells me if it matters or not, to be blunt, fuck them.

Slime

Banned
New novel announced!

Based on unused Clone Wars season 7 scripts.

D9kf9ae.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom