• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Breaks Digital Sales Record for EA

Mista

Banned
Star-Wars-2-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

EA announced today that within its launch window, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has become the best-selling Star Wars game to date when it comes to digital sales. Furthermore, it has also become the publisher’s fastest-selling Star Wars game on PC within this period, too. EA’s return to selling games on Valve’s Steam platform surely was a big reason why Fallen Order was able to reach this milestone.

Respawn’s Vince Zampella:
“On behalf of Respawn and EA, we thank everyone for their support of the studio and the team throughout the development and launch of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Telling a story in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true and the reception from the fans has been incredible.”

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's a decent game, I'm enjoying it. I wish there was more force powers though, and that those powers were more dramatic like in Force Unleashed. I never feel like a badass in this game...though I will say that the melee combat is superb.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is good but it's not a digital sales record for specifically EA games in general, but Star Wars titles.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has become the best-selling Star Wars game to date when it comes to digital sales.

How many Star Wars digital games to they even have to compete with? The new battlefront that floundered at release? Some Force Unleashed?

Last edited:

Nydius

I'm happy for the sales success of the game but this is a game that I would never, ever, buy digitally. This is a one playthrough game. There's no New Game+, no real incentive to go back and replay it on the hardest difficulty, gathering the collectibles to reach 100% isn't hard (just tedious), and there's no plans for any DLC in the future to expand the game.

At least with a physical copy you can see a small return on the game when you realize you're never going to play it again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Who would have thought - make a good product and release it on platforms people actually want to use, and you'll do well.

Hopefully Ubisoft, Rockstar and Deep Silver are paying attention.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don’t think Rockstar belongs with the other two you mentioned. They’re printing money so why would they change anything?

I was specifically referencing this line from the OP

EA’s return to selling games on Valve’s Steam platform surely was a big reason why Fallen Order was able to reach this milestone.

I only mention Rockstar because their PC release of Red Dead Redemption is Epic Store exclusive and they've got a long history of draconian DRM schemes that ensures a lot of people (myself included) will never touch anything they release on PC again.

nObOdY wAnTs sInGlE pLaYeR gAmEs - EA, at one time

Poor Amy Hennig's project. :(
That 'one time' was right before the release of God of War, which was a smash success. EA and to a lesser extent MS, were saying single player games were dead. I wonder how much crow they've eaten? :pie_thinking:

Embarrasingly for EA, GoW wasn't a fluke and Spiderman followed suit and then so did Death Stranding.

I'm guessing Amy has "told you so" face right about now.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Incredible game. The atmosphere is top notch and it bleeds Star Wars through and through. From the music to bouts of humor, Respawn really nailed it. One can only hope that a sequel is in the works and/or something a bit different but made by the same team...perhaps an updated Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game. Watching Mandalorian; the main protagonist has all sorts of neat gadjets and moves, plus his own ship. Would be perfect for and open world(s) experience or something

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That's what you'll get by selling your games on Steam and if the game is really good.... I mean, 100% single player game.... the best Star Wars game since KOTOR 2.... with no mtx and other BS.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Good to see a single player game with no 'always-on', 'live online', 'infinite hours of gameplay', 'microtransactions' bullshit doing good. Hope to see more single player games in the future.

recma12

First the Mandalorian and now this, seems giving a fanbase what it wants makes more money than trying to create a fanbase at the expense of the current fans. 🤔

EA gonna EA.

Part of the reason why Fallen Order is so buggy and unpolished is probably that EA wanted this out with the TV show, no matter what.
And this is kinda sad, because Respawn likely could have ironed out the bugs with a few more weeks to work with.

Am on PS4pro and launched Fallen Order after I finished Death Stranding (where I didn't notice a single hiccup in 40hrs) and the difference in polish is staggering.

Mista

Banned
I was specifically referencing this line from the OP

I only mention Rockstar because their PC release of Red Dead Redemption is Epic Store exclusive and they've got a long history of draconian DRM schemes that ensures a lot of people (myself included) will never touch anything they release on PC again.
I thought they had their own launcher

Hostile_18

Banned
Those records seem very specific, it's not like a new Star Wars game is released very often and the last one was mired in controversy. The digital market has grown between releases so it's not necessarily indicative of massive sales.

"This is the best selling Star Wars game by Respawn Entertainment of this generation!!!"

:messenger_winking:

royox

I wish there was more force powers though, and that those powers were more dramatic like in Force Unleashed. I never feel like a badass in this game...

That's the whole point of the game and the last LAST moments of the game. Cal is literally a Padawan in this game and only knows the basics of the basics. Starkiller was trained by Darth Vader over years and was very powerfull in the force. Enough to beat the shit out of Vader himself and stand a chance against Palpatine.

JLB

Banned
It's a decent game, I'm enjoying it. I wish there was more force powers though, and that those powers were more dramatic like in Force Unleashed. I never feel like a badass in this game...though I will say that the melee combat is superb.

Have the same feelings. I was expecting a GOTY game, but its not that great. Its really good anyways, but after a couple of hours I returned to Outer Worlds.

Wasn’t really sure where to post since the B/S/T OT is gone... so thought this would be a good place to start?. I’m selling the digital copy of Star Wars (Deluxe Edition) that came with my new Xbox One S if anyone is interested. Asking $50, thanks.
T4EJYcS.jpg

Last edited:

Sixkiller

Neo Member

That's kind of the point, though. The Force Unleashed, while a fun game, was the epitome of the 'gamification' of Star Wars and specifically The Force. If you placed it in comparison to the movies it was utterly incoherent.

Because the decision was taken, rightly in my opinion, to make all content part of a coherent canon, it would be utterly ridiculous if the game involved cutting about pulling star destroyers out of the sky, etc. and using force powers to a degree never seen from the likes of Anakin or Yoda.

Gun Animal

That's kind of the point, though. The Force Unleashed, while a fun game, was the epitome of the 'gamification' of Star Wars and specifically The Force. If you placed it in comparison to the movies it was utterly incoherent.

Because the decision was taken, rightly in my opinion, to make all content part of a coherent canon, it would be utterly ridiculous if the game involved cutting about pulling star destroyers out of the sky, etc. and using force powers to a degree never seen from the likes of Anakin or Yoda.
You could make a game like that canon, you just can't have it be set at any point between Episode I and Episode IX. The distant past, distant future, another part of the universe... all fair game. Problem is, I'm sure Disney doesn't want the games or shows using these settings until they've gotten to them in the movies first. In other words, the mainline films need to lead the way in terms of power escalation.

Fbh

I think it's funny how big publishers always find some way to have their games break record. "This is the fastest selling game that at least 40 people who where born in march worked on!".

But good for the game, it's always nice to see a reminder that there is indeed a market for good single player games with high production values.
As someone mentioned though, most EA execs and shareholders are probably sad they are just getting a single payment for each sold copy, and there's probably someone who is already in charge of figuring out how to push for "recurrent consumer spending" in a potential sequel.

leo-j

You could make a game like that canon, you just can't have it be set at any point between Episode I and Episode IX. The distant past, distant future, another part of the universe... all fair game. Problem is, I'm sure Disney doesn't want the games or shows using these settings until they've gotten to them in the movies first. In other words, the mainline films need to lead the way in terms of power escalation.
i am grateful that force unleashed is not canon. Vader was very out of character in that franchise. And he was using force lightning lol which he cannot use because of his suit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
EA gets criticized a lot, but this game should have been released a long time ago and any sales it gets are under achieving, it's STAR WARS.

Top Bottom