• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 9 Minutes of Gameplay | IGN First

Edder1

The devs said a while back that they're using ray traced lighting (probably refering to hardware powered Lumen), but I'm not seeing it anywhere in this game. The assets are the same as last time, which is forgivable, but not using Lumen and having such flat lighting is unacceptable. Animations look dated even for last gen at this point. This should have been a much bigger upgrade visually, presentation and animations wise after all the sales Fallen Order got. Very underwhelming.

Last edited:

Gudji

Season 9 Idk GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

RAIDEN1

To me it just looks like a souped up DLC mission...as oppossed to a full blown sequel....I was hoping it might have some Force Unleashed charm to it.....(now that's a game that deserve a super HD remake like Dead Space)

Mossybrew

Lost hype entirely. Same janky/horrid as shit animations like the first. Still no human dismemberment. Samey ugly ass boring environment. Like holy fuck its the same game but with better graphics. THE RUNNIGN ANIMATION HOLY FUCK HORRIBLE. How. How???? How are the devs watchcing that and thinking, yeah its good my dudes. Have they never played any game in the last 10+ years? I just cant unsee that shit lol. Lemme guess, exploration is rewarded with skins only again, right?

Haha, yeah I don't get these "Looks Great!" responses. Looks boring and tedious. And yeah the dude's animation looks so fuckin awkward.

wolywood

The first game looked great and had probably the best storyline of any Star Wars media in the past decade. The actual experience of playing it though...for whatever reason it was never really enjoyable for me. Maybe because it felt like the Costco version of Dark Souls.

Ristifer

I'm in. It doesn't have that wow factor with any of the visuals, but I also thought the first game looked pretty great, so I'm not too upset about it. Hope that they introduced some new things though.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looking pretty good to me! I loved the first one, but hated its constant streaming stuttering, hope this one solves that.

And WTF with all the complaints? It just looks like your average good looking AAA game, how else is it gonna look like? Don't count on games looking like Matrix Demo anytime soon, or this gen even... Budgets/time are the real bottleneck and those are not going away.

simpatico

Again with the wiffle ball bat combat feel. Ugh. They'd be smart to accidentally leave in decaps and make it so you have to change a value in the ini file to unlock them. Like OG Mortal Kombat on Sega. That or mod it so I'm wielding a club instead of a light saber.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If this was a WWII themed game, I'd be interested. But the linearity and the "now do this" gameplay looks like utter *** to me.

Loved Fallen Order, looking forward to this. Happy with what I see, more fun in a "living" star wars game world. Looks like they're keeping the bosses and increasing the enemies/variety too.

kyussman

Looks like more of the same,but I enjoyed the first one enough.Games are where Star Wars is going to live anyway now considering what Disney have done to the IP on film/tv.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks fun, seems like a textbook "more of the same" sequel but I really enjoyed the first one so that's fine with me

But yeah that walking and running animation is extremely awkward.

Last edited:
Seems recent sequels are suffering from more of the same syndrom. Like Horizon Forbidden West and Gow Ragnarok are pretty much the first game but bigger. I bet even Zelda would feel pretty familiar after tomorrows direct.

Last edited:
I really loved the first game despite its one or two rough qualities.

However, as I thought playing the first one, worthy Jedi do not kill wild animals. That is Sith behavior. A Jedi would stun, confuse or scare it.

Hell, Obi Wan would just figure out the mating call of the species and trick the mf'er into leaving.

Even Luke Skywalker's killing of an enslaved Rancor is on the edge of the dark side. His only excuse for that is he had never been properly trained in the ways of the force. And it only mattered because of his innate abilities and that weird Skywalker prophecy that will never make any sense. It made us think, "Hey, if he goes bad, the bad guys will control the Galaxy, the whole thing hinges in him, oh no! "

Knowing that, is it necessary to cast the protagonist as a Jedi in order for this game to work as a story? Shouldn't this guy just be a bit more open to bad choices other than killing fauna? I am interested to see if this guy makes any problematic(interesting) decisions. I AM HERE FOR IT.

Salz01

It doesn’t look like a big step up. Hopefully one can turn off that left hud. I hate that it’s always on in the last one.

kikkis

I almost don't notice the animation problems since when playing I am watching enemies and environments, not characters legs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
To me it just looks like a souped up DLC mission...as oppossed to a full blown sequel....I was hoping it might have some Force Unleashed charm to it.....(now that's a game that deserve a super HD remake like Dead Space)
So you mean it looks like a sequel?

Id like you to show me how many sequels couldnt effectively be described exactly the same way you just described this that had a ~3 year dev cycle between entries.

So you mean it looks like a sequel?

Id like you to show me how many sequels couldnt effectively be described exactly the same way you just described this that had a ~3 year dev cycle between entries.
All they needed to do to differentiate it was improved the graphics. That's the bare minimum for a sequel. This is next gen only and is it using Unreal Engine 5? Should blow the first out of the water in terms of animations and visuals. Wtf. The animation has the exact same jank to it which was the big weak point of the first.

Gambit2483

Main character animations are not great.

I also noticed some of the animation transitions are kinda rough. Like when he lands and rolls or comes out of an attack animation. It doesn't look as smooth as something like Uncharted or Spider-Man. No wonder they delayed it. Otherwise it's a pretty good looking game art wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom