• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor physical versions will reportedly require a download to play

jm89

Advantage of getting physical is all about the cheaper prices and being able to trade in.

Don't know why folks are cheering the death of that.

Persevation obviously has gone the way of the dodo, with games not being on disc and broken day one games. But those other benefits are still there.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

There really is no point in owning games physically any more unless you and your friends borrow each others games often. There isn't even a collectors element any more due to how much they are mass produced

I bought a disc version of the PS5 and I have only really used the disc drive to "upgrade" a few PS4 games, and to play the demons souls remake when I first bought the console

It's sad, but I think physical's days are over after this gen

Last edited:

Zug

The point of physical medium is ownership, not holding the data. It's still possible on consoles where you don't have to register your game on an online platform like Steam.
Often, there's DLCs codes that you need to register on your personal account though, so DLCs are usually never owned, better wait for a GOTY physical version before buying.
On PC, physical has been dead for almost 20 years now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The point of physical medium is ownership, not holding the data. It's still possible on consoles where you don't have to register your game on an online platform like Steam.
Often, there's DLCs codes that you need to register on your personal account though, so DLCs are usually never owned, better wait for a GOTY physical version before buying.
On PC, physical has been dead for almost 20 years now.
If we are lucky the second print of the game will come on two disks.
Otherwise, physical collectors will always have to rely on either never deleting the data once they have downloaded it or hope the game is never completely delisted.

PC physical is still a thing......just very rare, especially for big games.

ori_and_the_blind_forest.jpg

halo-2-pc-physical-release-1024x576.jpg

81170VAiR1L.jpg

UoP4KVHL9sTyTmePmz4txF.jpg

EDMIX

Otherwise, physical collectors will always have to rely on either never deleting the data once they have downloaded it or hope the game is never completely delisted.

81170VAiR1L.jpg

Truth.

I'm hoping Starfield has a physical PC release.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Good to know, then i here is no need for me to buy the game day one at full price and instead i can wait for a digital sale.

Elysion

Banned
We really needed a new physical format, a successor to Blu-Ray, to deal with the increasing sizes of games. This is now the third generation we have Blu-Ray, and it‘s pretty clear the format has reached its limit. Prior to the PS4, Sony introduced a new optical disc format with each new gen, allowing game sizes to increase without needing to download additional data or having to ship multiple discs (except for some of the bigger games on PS1). Unfortunately, due to the rise of streaming services and online stores, it seems neither Sony nor anyone else has any interest in developing new storage formats anymore, so we‘re stuck with Blu-Ray until physical media goes away entirely.

The last hope for physical media at this point might actually be the Switch 2, depending on how big Nintendo‘s next gen cartridges will be. If Nintendo increases the storage size of their next cartridge format at the same rate that they increased them between previous gens, then it‘s possible that the Switch 2 could have 128GB, 256GB, or possibly even 512GB cartridges, which would exceed Blu-Ray by a significant margin.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Advantage of getting physical is all about the cheaper prices and being able to trade in.

Don't know why folks are cheering the death of that.

Persevation obviously has gone the way of the dodo, with games not being on disc and broken day one games. But those other benefits are still there.

Because people who have gone all digital don't give a shit until they shut down servers at some point, blocking access to their games. I'm sure it will happen once a generation is old enough, and even then many won't care.

Last edited:
Physical games are often just install discs. The full game has to be downloaded.
I checked your theory with Dead Island 2. Looks like your wrong.
The game Install from the disc is 47.957GB.

I can play the game without the day one patch which is over 1gb.

The only game which you have to download completely was Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 because they only put 70mb of data on the disc.

Tbh I expect this. There's no point in physical nowdays becsuse you only get part of a game and need to download the rest. Even where you get the full game on the disc, you need to download a patch for games to be playable or fix bugs or get better performance. I swear you don't even download the actual updates these days and they just make you redownload the whole game.

I just don't see the point in physical, especially now that I have two consoles (Seres a and x). If I buy physical it means I have to take the disc out and go to the other room with it. Not a hard job but just easier with digital

81170VAiR1L.jpg

There's a physical for flight sim? Is there any point for physical considering the game needs to be connected to the internet for the maps? Once the servers go down for that game will the game even be playable?

Why is this a surprise? Physical media is on the verge of death anyways.
I mean, not really. I just don't know if an updated blu-ray disc will ever be produced.

But there will always be a ,market for physical media for the foreseeable future.

Until internet bandwidth can make streaming indiscernible from 4K blu-ray, the discs will be there.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There's a physical for flight sim? Is there any point for physical considering the game needs to be connected to the internet for the maps? Once the servers go down for that game will the game even be playable?
Flight Simulator can be played offline.....you just wont have realtime real world weather and realtime real world flights data.....and of course if you havent already downloaded the photgramtery data.....it will look like shit.

The physical comes with "the world" but its not as accurate (buildings/airporst/roads) as downloading the packs or streaming it in.

5luhUO1.png

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I checked your theory with Dead Island 2. Looks like your wrong.
The game Install from the disc is 47.957GB.

I can play the game without the day one patch which is over 1gb.

The only game which you have to download completely was Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 because they only put 70mb of data on the disc.

Yeah, you’re right. I wouldn’t say it’s often.

Surprisingly there was actually a subreddit group r/fullgameondisc devoted just to letting you know if the full game was on the disc.

Gambit2483

The last hope for physical media at this point might actually be the Switch 2, depending on how big Nintendo‘s next gen cartridges will be. If Nintendo increases the storage size of their next cartridge format at the same rate that they increased them between previous gens, then it‘s possible that the Switch 2 could have 128GB, 256GB, or possibly even 512GB cartridges, which would exceed Blu-Ray by a significant margin.

Considering what developers were able to pull off on Switch using compression technology and not even using the 32GB cards for 90% of the games, it's entirely possible for physical to live on with Switch 2. Nintendo needs to nut up and make a deal with these game card manufacturers and lower the prices for these 32GB+ cards.

BreakOut

Haha ive had the EA account thing happen before, they wanted extremely absurd information to recover

- a list of ips from where the acc has logged in
- proof of verified purchases in the account
- full name and dob
- copy of my id

I just made a new account, fuck that.
Dude yeah! Its fucked though, because I have it linked to my PlayStation and can’t play anything online. When I gave them the information on the game I bought they told me I was wrong, -Like motherfucker no I’m not-. Maybe there was other stuff I missed, but she was telling me I was in accurate with that. I know exactly what I bought and I’m looking at the trophy that shows when I turned it on for the first time. That is the date. The lady was so unhelpful.
I’m burned on it, because they won’t unlink it from my PlayStation ID, give me access to it, or just delete it. I would just make another one but to play a game online I would have to pay for PlayStation plus on a second account.
I had this issue with Activision and they just let me send my fucking ID to them, it was the most smooth process on earth. They have a blank out like 90% of it.
I actually have to get my Ubisoft account next. Hopefully they have an account recovery system that’s realistic. I don’t know why any company wouldn’t just have a submit your ID feature.

Fuck I got super sidetracked, do you know if it’s gonna make me login to play?

BreakOut

Oh yeah? That means nkthing, just because they bought a physical ps5 doesnt mean every game they get is physical, it gives them an option and that's it.

Here is why - https://gamerant.com/physical-game-sales-down-2022-2023/#:~:text=The ERA estimates 89.5% of,were physical discs or cartridges.
I think that when they release a model without the disk drive and then sell it as an add-on we will see if physical sales actually go up.
I know three people who have a digital PS5, but only got it because they couldn’t get the normal one.
Obviously they have to buy digital, because they don’t have an option, but if they could just run out and buy a Disc drive they’d do it. It doesn’t help them right now, but the next Console they get, or if they decide to get the PlayStation 5 Pro and leave the PlayStation 5 Commoner behind, they will definitely get a drive and buy some disc versions.

Why is this a surprise? Physical media is on the verge of death anyways.
Just sucks when they remove the game eventually when they lose the licensing (RIP DriveClub).

This whole "download everything from the internet thing" gives the companies too much power to take away something you bought because it's not really yours... you're basically just renting it like Netflix.

For the 1 person who doesn't have internet in 2023, this matters.
Or you know... longevity. The disc will still work years down the road, can't say the same thing for a download.

Last edited:
Top Bottom