• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor physical versions will reportedly require a download to play

Puscifer

The days of physical are over. Let it go. Don't be the old dude still going outside to get his newspaper.
How about screw this idea of letting companies own what you pay for? I'm not even surprised we have cars that requires a monthly subscription for heated seats and keyfobs at this point, people just don't care and are like "let them do it no big deal, it's 5 dollars what's to complain about? Who cares that the onus for storage is now on the consumer, you can just buy extra SSDs at the store"

Just go cloud at this point, you own nothing.

Granted I'm on PC and have a PS5 but at this point I'm probably just going to cut my losses for the console and keep it for nothing but exclusives because this keeps happening. At least on PC there's options for my collection to be cracked, backed up on several hard drives and replayable. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft (on console) can flip a switch and say "too expensive to keep running, fuck you and your collection" and call it a day.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, in this day everyone should be prepared to download. Always. It's just the unfortunate standard these days. Just really sucks for the few out there that don't really have access to internet, or anything reliable.

I still don't understand why people want physical to die so bad. It's not "on the verge", it also isn't "extinct", there were plenty of reports from 2022 stating that physical vs digital sales basically even out in most cases. Sure, some ups and downs here and there on either side, but it's nothing primarily one side over the other. I'd rather people have the option to do what they please rather than just force everyone to do one over the other. Especially when there are still moments (albeit getting more and more rare) where physicals don't require downloads.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Will never understand consumers who damn near praise the loss of ownership....wow.
Just make a streaming device and do that, why buy hardware anymore?

Funny how much people complain about stuff like stadia and Luna because it removes all ownership but they'll happily turn around and be okay with actions like this.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The days of physical are over. Let it go. Don't be the old dude still going outside to get his newspaper.

I legit think if physical dies so does most modern day gaming.

You'd see loads more free to play and gaas games because let's be honest. What's the percentage of people willing to pay 70 quid to play sonething like ratchet and clank to only go and complete it in a weekend? No way the majority of people would go for that.

You'd see loads more free to play and gaas games because let's be honest. What's the percentage of people willing to pay 70 quid to play sonething like ratchet and clank to only go and complete it in a weekend? No way the majority of people would go for that.
What does any of that have to do if the game comes on a disc or not?

Not only are those games you mention still selling, but they're now selling more digital than physical.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

How about fuck this idea of letting companies own what you pay for? I'm not even surprised we have cars that requires a monthly subscription for heated seats and keyfobs at this point, you guys literally just don't care and are like "let them do it no big deal, it's 5 dollars what's to complain about? Who cares that the onus for storage is now on the consumer, you can just buy extra SSDs at the store" Just go cloud at this point, you own nothing.

Granted I'm on PC and have a PS5 but at this point I'm probably just going to cut my losses for the console and keep it for nothing but exclusives because this keeps happening. At least on PC there's options for my collection to be cracked, backed up on several hard drives and replayable. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft (on console) can flip a switch and say "too expensive to keep running, fuck your collection" and call it a day.
Yeah, I primarily do PC these days and have been for several years because it's often the "cheapest" route to go. For my PS5/Switch everything is physical. Ever since digital games began to exist on console I still preferred physical because I liked the idea of physically owning something, especially when it's the exact same price as digital. When PC began going digital a part of me was like, "Man, this sucks", but it being cheaper made it easier to accept. Even if they're all on platforms that could disappear at any given moment, even though that's not very likely. I'll admit the whole "not actually owning it" thing has made me feel weird.

43iv8l.jpg

Welcome to the future years ago.

ckaneo

I don't think it's a huge deal but EA isn't a small indie publisher. They have enough to afford 2 disc.

These big corporations take way too much advantage of things like this and the game is probably gonna need a day 1 patch anyways

Last edited:
The vast majority of discs since the middle of the Xbox One/PS4 gen have basically been licenses to download. Yes it sucks that it's that way, but I'm not sure it should be surprising to anybody that a game of this size wasn't going to require a massive download

Quezacolt

The vast majority of discs since the middle of the Xbox One/PS4 gen have basically been licenses to download. Yes it sucks that it's that way, but I'm not sure it should be surprising to anybody that a game of this size wasn't going to require a massive download
Again, this is false.
Sure, you have to install the games on the harddrive/ssd, but most games come complete on the disc.
No idea where you got that "vast majority" when its been only CoD for the most part.
It happens more with xbox now, because of smart delivery, since xbox one only accepts smaller sizes blu-ray discs, the series X suffers by not having many games complete.
With PS5, PS4 and Switch, most games are complete and fully playable without any downloads.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Just had PTSD flashbacks of when I had to change discs when I visited different areas in Mass Effect.

Last edited:

sachos

Completely false. https://www.doesitplay.org/index
Also, if its too big they could include it in two discs, like many other games have done in the past.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
You know I really wonder if this is why it hasn’t leaked.

A week out and I’m surprised there is almost nothing.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
To think that it has come down to downloading a portion of the game when it comes to physical discs. It's like the Switch cartridge situation where large portions of the game had to be downloaded because publishers were too cheap to manufacture bigger cartridges. It's not fun being a physical collector these days.
Which games require that on the Switch? I never knew about this or heard of it before until now.

Mr Hyde

Which games require that on the Switch? I never knew about this or heard of it before until now.

Off the top of my head:

Bioshock collection
LA Noire
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Resident Evil Origin Collection
NBA 2K18
Crysis Trilogy
Wolfenstein 2

+ Loads more. Publisher often writes on the box that you need internet to download a portion of the game. Hell, some Switch games don't even come on a cartridge. It's just the box and a download code.

Schmendrick

I don't mind the download as long as I retain the right to resell with the disc which imho is the main point of owning physical anyways...

Everyone in this thread calling physical old fashioned is literally brain-dead. There is no other explanation for wishing the sole possibility of actually owning a game to go away.....

CGNoire

I’ll still be able to trade in, give away, or otherwise resell the physical disk, even if it doesn’t contain the entire game on it.

Call me when digital allows me to do the same. Until that point, I will continue to buy physical because I’m not bending over and letting companies take away what few consumer copyright protections I have for the sake of “convenience”.
"PHYSICAL MEDIA IS DEAD!!" they chanted.

And bye they I mean....Greedy Corporations and all the forum members who wanted it to fail all along.

Traxtech

I wonder how much is on the disc though.. I hope it's not a modern Warfare situation, especially since I'll be away on work playing from a hotel upon release :(

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Digital & Streaming never actually caught up with Physical Media, Disc advancements just stalled due to the adoption of Streaming & Digital.
In 2016 Sony introduced a 3.3TB Disc with a 2gbps read speed and today it would have been more advanced and easily be able to fit today's games.
Physical is dying, but not because it's not capable but because we chose to let it die.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Off the top of my head:

Bioshock collection
LA Noire
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Resident Evil Origin Collection
NBA 2K18
Crysis Trilogy
Wolfenstein 2

+ Loads more. Publisher often writes on the box that you need internet to download a portion of the game. Hell, some Switch games don't even come on a cartridge. It's just the box and a download code.
Does that even include the Mega Man X Collection because I bought that one specifically for having those games on one cart?

That's insane because those are old games that are so small in file size there's no reason to not have them on one cart.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Not looking good for early adopters of physical media.

Why? Day 1 updates happen all the time, the game can still be sold and given away.

Until those thinks can't happen, we'll be just fine.

I gave away the first game as a gift to a huge Star Wars fan I know, I plan to do the same with the sequel after I'm done with it. Thats one of the biggest reasons I still buy physical. I like to share that experience and I paid for it, I should be able to give it away, sell it etc. So I don't really care so long as I'm able to still do that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why? Day 1 updates happen all the time, the game can still be sold and given away.

Until those thinks can't happen, we'll be just fine.

I gave away the first game as a gift to a huge Star Wars fan I know, I plan to do the same with the sequel after I'm done with it. Thats one of the biggest reasons I still buy physical. I like to share that experience and I paid for it, I should be able to give it away, sell it etc. So I don't really care so long as I'm able to still do that.
Yeah, and 99% of those "day one patch" games are playable from start to finish without the patch. Jedi Survivor will require you to download the patch for the game to even start. You really can't tell the difference?

Many users here are invested in collecting and game preservation, and such are basically dead if this becomes the new norm.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

A ton of games require downloads now, day 1 patches. So it’s not exactly a surprise. It sucks for game preservation, because there are a shit load of games that do that. Some of them I’m sure do it specifically so if people get the game early they are locked out. It is a problem in my opinion, used two discs. For $70 it wouldn’t kill them. I wonder what will happen when servers and stuff go down.

Is there any group of people that are fighting to reserve games like this? Even if they go down off-line? Like ripping the data from the desk, whatever? I guess it can always be done on PC right?

On a sidenote does anyone know if you have to log in to EA to play this game? The EA account linked to my PlayStation doesn’t work and they won’t let me recover it because I can’t answer a bunch of absurd questions. They also won’t unlink it. They said they can’t verify my identity, which is weird because Activision when you send them a picture of my ID and proof.
I digress though, I know it’s single player, but —if anyone knows whether or not they force you to log into play— I would appreciate it.
Haha ive had the EA account thing happen before, they wanted extremely absurd information to recover

- a list of ips from where the acc has logged in
- proof of verified purchases in the account
- full name and dob
- copy of my id

I just made a new account, fuck that.

unlurkified

Let’s not forget that you often have to wait for some PSN or MS Store sale to get older digital games at reasonable prices. I was recently looking to pick up Assassin’s Creed Origins and Farcry 5 that are 5+ year old games and Sony/MS still wanted $60 for them. I quickly said ‘hell no’ and got the disc versions from Amazon for $15 a piece.

Steam is great, but buying digital on console often sucks. I don’t think this issue gets brought up enough when ‘the death of physical’ is discussed.

Last edited:
Not too sure. The disc-drive version of the PS5 has been outselling the driveless one by a factor of at least 3-1.
Oh yeah? That means nkthing, just because they bought a physical ps5 doesnt mean every game they get is physical, it gives them an option and that's it.

Here is why - https://gamerant.com/physical-game-sales-down-2022-2023/#:~:text=The ERA estimates 89.5% of,were physical discs or cartridges.

The Digital Entertainment and Retail Association (ERA) is a UK-based trade organization that tracks physical and digital media sales for the music and video game industries, among other services. The ERA estimates 89.5% of games sold in 2022 were digital downloads. Only 10.5% of copies sold were physical discs or cartridges. Digital sales make up nine out of every 10 games sold in the UK

Last edited:

KiteGr

I still use consoles because I like collecting my games in physical format.
If shit like this continue, and force me to go digital, I'm jumping to PC.

Top Bottom