• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Lucasfilm possibly holding off on Obi-Wan spin-off for surprising reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
A Star Wars spin-off movie focusing on Obi-Wan Kenobi in the years between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy sounds like a license to print money and make everyone happy. The fans want it. Ewan McGregor wants to do it. So why not pull the trigger and make it happen?

Well, the latest story circling around the internet is that Lucasfilm isn’t sitting on an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie because they don’t want to do it, but for…other reasons. Reasons that some fans may not want to know if they’re concerned about potential spoilers. Consider that your warning before scrolling down.

Entertainment Weekly’s Anthony Breznican recently appeared on the Rebel Force Radio podcast and amidst a discussion about the upcoming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, he spoke about the continuously swirling rumors that an Obi-Wan film starring McGregor was in the works. His response (via Star Wars News Net) is… surprising:

"I have heard rumors that the one reason they haven’t moved sooner on Obi-Wan is that they’re not done with Obi-Wan quite yet in the Saga films. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Obi-Wan thing happen beyond Episode IX".

tumblr_n010tjTnfI1salvvho1_250.gif

Source.

Feel free to sarcastically inform me I did a "Good job" if old.

TVexperto

He is the best thing that happened to Star Wars, I really need McGregor to return even if its a ridiculous reason in the movie

Sapiens

You guys don't want this movie. It's going to be about ob1 trying to get substitutions at the cantina and then him driving off at the end.

Ashby

Well, they certainly don't need to rush. They've got plenty of time until Ewan McGregor starts looking remotely old.

Maybe I'm a moron, but wouldn't that mean that there are more prequel films to the original series in the works? How do you do a Obi-Wan appearance in a mainline Star Wars movie, moving forward past The Force Awakens, if Obi-Wan is died?

Oddly enough I don't actually want this to be so - mostly because I want the damned spinoff - but I could see a basic reason in doing so.

Obi-Wan's character arc through the prequels, particularly in relation to Anakin, mirrors what Luke has gone through courtesy of Kylo Ren. It's pretty obvious to draw comparisons and perhaps make use of them, in story.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ewan McGregor was already in TFA so it was inevitable that Obi-Wan would appear again in the future. I don't see why that should stop a spinoff, though.

Maybe I'm a moron, but wouldn't that mean that there are more prequel films to the original series in the works? How do you do a Obi-Wan appearance in a mainline Star Wars movie, moving forward past The Force Awakens, if Obi-Wan is died?

Obi-Wan appeared as a ghost in every movie that was set after his death.

Ithil

Not only dead, but his actor in the OT is dead. You can't exactly have him randomly de-age to McGregor as a ghost having appeared only as Alec Guinness in the OT.

Ushojax

Do we really need an Obi-Wan spin-off?

A Star Wars version of A Fistful of Dollars, with Obi-Wan as Clint Eastwood? Yes, yes we do.

Not only dead, but his actor in the OT is dead. You can't exactly have him randomly de-age to McGregor as a ghost having appeared only as Alec Guinness in the OT.

There would be no issue making McGregor look 20 years older with makeup, it would be a trivial job. That's if they even have the ghosts appear in the same crude way they appeared in the OT, they might present them differently.

Jarmel

Banned
I would be happy with them doing a spinoff movie after episode 9. McGregor deserves at least one decent movie after the shit with the prequels.

Not only that, he now looks younger for some reason? Even though we've seen his ghost look like old ass Obi?

This prequel stuff is annoying. A Han Solo one, I will make an exception for, but I'd rather they try something else than make another damned prequel movie.

Ewan McGregor wasn't even very good, funny, or charming, so what's even the appeal?

http://legionofleia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Qui-gon-jinn-star-wars-phantom1.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Qui-Gon would be more interesting for a spin-off. So far these Star Wars off year movies are sticking too close to the familiar. At least Qui-Gon has a whole past with Dooku and his stoner years.

enewtabie

I have no ideal how that would even work. Unless Obi-Wan has some secret kid with Satine Kryze the Duchess of Mandalore.

I thought that at first but the age doesn't line up. It's been 30 years since ROTJ right? Clone wars is another 20 or so plus earlier.

I have no ideal how that would even work. Unless Obi-Wan has some secret kid with Satine Kryze the Duchess of Mandalore.
Obi-Wan was really popular with the ladies. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a unknown daughter growing up during the Empire era who got married and had to leave her child alone when the First Order came for them.

Gambit

Simple. He had a child between Ep 3 and 4, which is why they have to hold off on Spin-Off, where it will be shown. Ta-dah!

A Star Wars version of A Fistful of Dollars, with Obi-Wan as Clint Eastwood? Yes, yes we do.

Yes, please. Of all the possible spin-offs, THIS is the one I want. McGregor deserves a good Star Wars movie

El Topo

Why not make that movie with a new character, instead of limiting the story in a needless way? The spinoff-prequels solely focussed around "What did X do at that time?" do not excite me much.

KHlover

Banned
That kid would be older than Luke. Nah, answer is obvious. Kenobi got some action just before he left Tatooine with Luke.

...how many years after ROTJ is TFA again?

Ushojax

DerZuhälter;225637354 said:
He will look for you, he will find you, and he will make you agree on republican credits.

"I didn't actually come here to free slaves" - Qui-Gon Jinn

SpaceWolf

Banned
That kid would be older than Luke. Nah, answer is obvious. Kenobi got some action just before he left Tatooine with Luke.

...how many years after ROTJ is TFA again?

At least 30.

Rey would be too young. She would have to be his grand-daughter at the very least for the theory to work.

Obi-Wan is my favorite character overall in Star Wars. Ewan McGregor's Kenobi was the only good thing about the prequels. Imagine if he actually had a good script and a good director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom