• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Pod Racing recreated in Unreal Engine 4

It's amazing how good UE4 can look.

wip2.jpg

ib15DQvBgR7ueg.jpg

izOPnmWTFYR42.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Pod racer is my favourite racing game of all time, would kill for another one especially as the PS2 sequel was pants.

How was the Dreamcast version? I have never played a Dreamcast and have always thought about picking one up on eBay, if it was a good upgrade on the N64 version that might push me over the edge

darthvargi

lol, everyone forgets podracing on Kinect Star Wars :(
He isn't playing it properly. You control it similarly to the jet ski game in Kinect Sports Rivals or just like the Sega Pod Racing arcade game. You move your arms towards and away from your body horizontally not vertically. The mode wasn't flushed out but was similar to the arcade game when you turned off assists and worked well. I recommend Star Wars Kinect just for this mode alone. I wish it had the depth of the N64/DC/PC version though.

MarkV

Growlie19

Loved this game on the 64! I would buy a remake/sequel in a heartbeat, especially if it looked like this! (hint hint)

LX_Theo

Banned
Would love a new game or HD rerelease. Had it on PC and used a joystick. It was one of the few games my father actually also played.

AmyS

Never played the N64 game, but did see others playing it a few times.

Always wanted a port of the Sega arcade game:

http://youtu.be/g0bF3kAVur4
http://youtu.be/69cIYQNRzaA

Framerate was so buttery smooth.

HIKARU board had custom graphics hardware with some components borrowed from Dreamcast / NAOMI.

CPU : 2 x Hitachi SH-4 128 bit RISC CPU with graphic functions @ 200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS
Graphic Engine : Sega Custom 3D
Sound Engine : 2x ARM7 Yamaha AICA @ 45 MHz with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM
Main Memory : 64 Mbytes
Graphic Memory : 28 Mbytes
Sound Memory : 8 Mbytes
Media : ROM Board (max 352 MBytes)
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Resolution : 24 KHz, 496x384, 31 KHz 640x480
Polygons : 2 Million polys a sec
Shading : Phong Shading
Lighting : Horizontal, Spot, 1024 lights per scene, 4 lights per polygon, 8 window surfaces.
Effects : (at least) Phong Shading, Fog, Depth Queueing, Stencil, Shadow, Motion blur
Others Capabilties : Bitmap Layer x 2, Calender, Dual Monitor (24 kHz)
Extensions : communication, 4 channel audio, PCI, MIDI, RS-232C
Connection : Jamma Video complient

Notes : This board was totally custom and very expensive to produce, it was only really designed for one game (Brave Fire Fighters) as it could do complex fire/water graphics.
There were eventually only 6 games made for this system beforce it was dropped in favour of the much cheaper Naomi 2.
It was also the first arcade board to be able to do phong shading.

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=724

FSRTVeg.jpg

hJ84UK7.jpg

PC version was based on the N64 version tho higher resolution & framerate, but still inferior to arcade.

I hated that game. I'm genuinely surprised to see love for it. It looks great, though.

I loved it, actually. I don't like Star Wars movies and don't really know much about the series, but LucasArts made some pretty great Star Wars games. One thing I loved about this game specifically were its numerous and extremely long tracks.

Edit:
Wow, I did not know it was in the arcades. That's amazing.

Neff

Ahhhhh its Jake Lloyd. The destroyer of Episode 1.

I'd argue that Portman put a much bigger dent in it. She's hot, but she's only good at crying and looking bemused.

I still love the shit out of Episode I

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I had the PC version. The races were insane at extreme high speeds and playing in first person view.

I still have disc. I feel like playing it now, hopefully it works on Windows 7.

RSB

Banned
Looks great. It would be great to have a new game based on the Pod Races.

I still remember all those evenings playing the N64 game when I was a kid. So much fun.

n0tail

Banned
I want this. Will this be released and playable? Please let the Force make it so. I've been wanting this forever.

Pod Racer was one of my favorite games of all time, no bullshit. Would buy a remake or re imagining in a flat second if it could reproduce that crazy sense of speed again.

He isn't playing it properly. You control it similarly to the jet ski game in Kinect Sports Rivals or just like the Sega Pod Racing arcade game. You move your arms towards and away from your body horizontally not vertically. The mode wasn't flushed out but was similar to the arcade game when you turned off assists and worked well. I recommend Star Wars Kinect just for this mode alone. I wish it had the depth of the N64/DC/PC version though.

If I recall correctly you can technically play it with a regular steering wheel motion, but yeah, it was primarily designed the way you mentioned it, pushing in/out.

For whatever reason, people find it hard to think in those terms though. Played KSR with a friend the other day and she kept doing the steering wheel motion, even after showing her the actual controls.

desu

I want this. Will this be released and playable? Please let the Force make it so. I've been wanting this forever.

It's just a diorama, a static scene and that guy is just an environment artist. Doubt there will ever come a game from this. It's more like portfolio work.

RooMHM

Ue4 looks to have the same problems as ue3. Always seeing glowy, over abundant designs. Never saw something that me think it looked good even if technically advanced.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I know it probably has aged HORRIBLY, but I really loved that game.

Pretty much the same. You're guaranteed a victory on the first 8 or so races, then there's a huge difficulty hump and you need to spend a lot of moolah on a pod to stand a chance. Or at least that's my experience.

Yarbskoo

The game is pretty good, but I don't love it as much now as I did when I was younger. It doesn't even come close to my favorite Star Wars games, like KOTOR or Dark Forces 2, most of which I played when I was much older.

Still, I'd love to see another developer take a shot at reviving it.

PC version was based on the N64 version tho higher resolution & framerate, but still inferior to arcade.

I grew up playing the PC version, but when I first played the arcade machine, I was really blown away. It didn't really have the depth of the home versions, but it looked and sounded great, and I loved the controls.

epmode

I don't understand projects like this. If they are planning on making it into a playable game, why not take the idea they like (Pod Racers arcade game) and just theme it differently / remove the visual similarities to Star Wars.

Some companies are sane and see fan games as the compliment they are. So long as the creator is not seeing any money from the project, anyway.

Y'know, it says something about the scope of a film when it can produce a futuristic racer on par with F-Zero/Wipeout, a spaceship combat game, and a Jedi-themed brawler, allin addition to a regular film-license game. You'd never see a Dark Knight: Tumbler Racing game, that's for sure.

Would love to see some more Pod Racing action. Even if just an HD remaster with 60fps if a full-blown sequel is too risky. IIRC, even the PC cersion doesn't work nowadays thanks to compatibility issues.

Chris R

N64 game was fun, but damn that game was rough if you had a loose stick like me :( Those final tracks were basically impossible.

Yoday

This + Oculus Rift would be glorious.
Even better, this with Project Morpheous and two move controllers would blow my freaking mind!

I loved the hell out of this game. This is one of my favorite racing games ever made. The upgrade system was a ton of fun having to balance old and new parts with the money you had. What I wouldn't give for an HD remake of this game.

gai_shain

To this day this is still the only racing game besides fzero X that I actually enjoyed and could play for a longer time

Grief.exe

I wish Disney had actually given a shit about the IPs. Instead of just contracting out wholesale to a shitty publisher in EA, put out contracts individually.

• Republic Commando 2 - Mikami
  • Jedi Knight IV - Platinum
  • Pod Racing - Bizarre Creations (boo)
  • Battlefront III - Dice is probably still the best choice. Valve, Crytek, Splash Damage could also be interesting picks.
  • Knights of the Old Republic - Obsidian or CD Projekt Red

demolitio

Amazing how many good Star Wars games existed in the old days. I still miss Rogue Squadron quite a bit too and always though that was a game that could have been done in the Wii quite well if need be.

So many good Star Wars series gone to waste and now I worry about Battlefront.

Top Bottom