• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
4nahzTn.jpg

.......oh man I'm dead. That's too funny.

I'm watching TFA now and Snoke drops "awakening [of the force]" and "the last Jedi" in his first scene. I wonder if there's a hint for the third title in there somewhere lol. *Failed at coming up with anything from either of his scenes

Rodin

In fairness he was wounded and crushed under the emotional weight of yenno.. Murdering his father in cold blood and all, like 5 min before

Aren't the Sith supposed to gain power from emotions tho

The cornerstone of a Sith's power was emotion. While the Jedi taught that fear, anger, and pain were negative emotions to be overcome, the Sith believed that these strong emotions were natural, and aided individuals in their survival. By harnessing their emotions rather than suppressing them, the Sith believed they could achieve true power.

Meaning that despite not being her dad, it's probably Rey (who still had an attachment to the guy) who suffered the most from a fighting perspective, if anything because Kylo should've gained power from those powerful emotions. Which makes Rey beating the living crap out of him even more hilarious when you think that way

Kylo Ren isn't a sith though.

And the gamification/power-levels bullshit is probably not the best/most useful way to look at the storytelling going on.

molnizzle

Meaning that despite not being her dad, it's probably Rey (who still had an attachment to the guy) who suffered the most from a fighting perspective, if anything because Kylo should've gained power from those powerful emotions. Which makes Rey beating the living crap out of him even more hilarious when you think that way

Two things.

1.) As far as we know, Kylo Ren isn't a "Sith."

2.) Kylo Ran hadn't mastered anything. He struggled with the dark side, as shown in his creepy monologue to grandaddy's helmet.

His childish flip outs whenever something didn't go his way served to show that he was also a bit of a novice.

He'll be better trained in TLJ, for sure.

DeanBDean

I wonder why nobody put in effort with old trailers. They could cut movies to be exciting and suspenseful but not trailers?

You had TV and cinema back then, I don't believe VHS/Beta was around at this point. And TVs were big if they were 15, 20 inches. And you usually only had one in the house. You could put minimum effort in because there was a lot less competition.

Having said that, I think this trailer is actually pretty good for back in the day trailers, especially a year out from the movie. Most of the special effects shots weren't done, and if I recall correctly neither was the filming. It shows your favorite characters are back, in new and exciting environments. It would probably have hooked me back in the day.

Rodin

Two things.

2.) Kylo Ran hadn't mastered anything. He struggled with the dark side, as shown in his creepy monologue to grandaddy's helmet.

His childish flip outs whenever something didn't go his way served to show that he was also a bit of a novice.

These points are even more in favor of the argument that Kylo isn't even remotely close to Luke though, so we're kinda running in circles here.

Other than that, being on the dark side of the Force is the point more than being a Sith when it comes to drawing power from strong emotions. Some people think that Rey's anger is why she fucked him up.

Kylo Ren isn't a sith though.

And the gamification/power-levels bullshit is probably not the best/most useful way to look at the storytelling going on.

Also 'emotions' =/= pure dark side power. It has to be harnessed. Directed. Kylo is emotionally all over the place in that fight, whereas the moment Rey wins is where she stops, and breathes.

JB1981

Two things.

He stopped a blaster bolt in mid-air and held it there while interrogating Poe and give hard looks at Finn. We have never seen a Jedi or powerful force user do this before.

He also pulled thoughts from Poe with the force, something even Vader couldn't do to Leia without the aid of a mind probe. Kylo is showing very early on to be a very powerful force user.

Rodin

He stopped a blaster bolt in mid-air and held it there while interrogating Poe and give hard looks at Finn. We have never seen a Jedi or powerful force user do this before.

He also pulled thoughts from Poe with the force, something even Vader couldn't do to Leia without the aid of a mind probe. Kylo is showing very early on to be a very powerful force user.

Pulling thoughts from Leia (a VERY powerful Force user) and Poe (a fucking pilot) isn't exactly the same thing.

And these powers Kylo is showing are simply new ideas made to avoid copying every single ability from old movies, and promoting new ideas of what the Force users can do instead. Don't overthink this.

JB1981

Pulling thoughts from Leia (a VERY powerful Force user) and Poe (a fucking pilot) isn't exactly the same thing.

And these powers Kylo is showing are simply new ideas made to avoid copying every single ability from old movies, and promoting new ideas of what the Force users can do instead. Don't overthink this.

Leia knew nothing of the force in ANH. Come on.

molnizzle

f7FdEdG.jpg

Leia knew nothing of the force in ANH. Come on.

Han didn't know shit about the Force and Vader still used interrogation bots on him in Empire.

The movies are just showing new Force powers. Maybe Snoke knows some shit that Vader and Palpatine didn't?

"It's so much bigger."

Any chance Kylo's trailer scar is just placeholder or a red herring of sorts? It's so blatantly wrong, they'd have to pull a Lucas and alter the scene in TFA to make it work.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Any chance Kylo's trailer scar is just placeholder or a red herring of sorts? It's so blatantly wrong, they'd have to pull a Lucas and alter the scene in TFA to make it work.
Rian said he moved it since it looked awkward going across the bridge of his nose.

sphagnum

Banned
The scar area placement is just something you'll have to ignore, like how the Stormtroopers are also going to look different despite being immediately after TFA, or Vader's helmet differences.

Surfinn

That's the thing though. His heart was never in what he did. He was immediately weakened by his decision. Was all over his face in TFA.

And Vader took down Emperor while under emotional state and having just lost a hand.

Not even close to being comparable. He took the emperor by surprise.. He didn't succeed because of his power through the force but rather his decision to do the right thing. Ren faced Rey in a fight they both knew would happen, head on.

Vader freaking threw him down a shaft because the emperor underestimated his emotions. It wasn't a fight anymore than it would be to nudge someone over a cliff who was taking a picture of the scenery

Einchy

The scar area placement is just something you'll have to ignore, like how the Stormtroopers are also going to look different despite being immediately after TFA, or Vader's helmet differences.
Stuff like this never really bothers me.

It's the sequel, things are slightly going to change, ain't no biggie. It's a big deal for some people, though, for whatever reason...

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Han didn't know shit about the Force and Vader still used interrogation bots on him in Empire.

That wasn't an interrogation, they were just torturing him so that Luke would feel it and come running. They didn't even ask him any questions.

Stuff like this never really bothers me.

It's the sequel, things are slightly going to change, ain't no biggie. It's a big deal for some people, though, for whatever reason...
I mean the scar is a bigger deal than outfit changes. It'd be like if Han was instead frozen from the neck down in RotJ so he can have speaking lines since it wouldn't be as "cool" not having real Han.

Regarding the scar, I'm not losing my mind or sleep over it. I just happened to watch TFA and saw the difference myself and feel that their reasoning for the sequel is lame and lazy. Handwaving it and justifying it just seems odd from a community who sweat the small details in continuity. (I'm no where near the biggest SW fan, but again, it just seems corny)

molnizzle

Someone will end up writing a book or comic that shows how Kylo Ren had new experimental Bacta healing/surgery to try and remove the scar but it went awry and just kinda moved it over his eye.

That's why we have an EU y'all. Err, I mean canon. Ahem.

Einchy

Regarding the scar, I'm not losing my mind or sleep over it. I just happened to watch TFA and saw the difference myself and feel that their reasoning for the sequel is lame and lazy. Handwaving it and justifying it just seems odd from a community who sweat the small details in continuity. (I'm no where near the biggest SW fan, but again, it just seems corny)

Maybe the lesson to learn here is that We should learn not the sweat the small details.

*inc 30k word wookieepedia article about Kylo's scar and the lore reasons why it changed positions*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Bacta tanks, I'm an expert. But the temproary face mask version is a big part of it. And bacta enzymes sometimes move scar tissue around for laughs.

Surfinn

Vader can read minds, remember in Rotj, Vader read Luke's mind and found out about Leia.
You know after seeing these movies a million times, I never made the connection that Vader was doing pretty much what Kylo is doing in the Rey interrogation scene.

However, I don't believe we've ever seen someone use the force to mentally torture someone before, in canon. Have we? Certainly not in the main films

molnizzle

What happens when you infuse Bacta with additional midichlorians? The scars move.

Bam, continuity! I should be a canon wrangler.

Einchy

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Bacta tanks, I'm an expert. But the temproary face mask version is a big part of it. And bacta enzymes sometimes move scar tissue around for laughs.

But how come the UNSC didn't give Mr. Halo DMRs before!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom