• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks to start serving more upscale food with new menu items

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-starbucks-food-20130727,0,6241032,full.story

Coffee giant Starbucks is targeting foodies with its new menu items. The more upscale lineup will feature products sourced from local farmers and designed to look handmade.

By Tiffany Hsu
July 26, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

Starbucks Corp. is unleashing a new food lineup that shares more with the artisanal fare at an intimate country cafe than the cookie-cutter products it currently serves at some 19,000 stores in 63 countries.

The products, which will start reaching Los Angeles on Tuesday, include items, some low fat or gluten free, stuffed with sustainably grown fruit and vegetables or topped with a range of glazes.

The more upscale creations are being spearheaded by Pascal Rigo, a Frenchman who last year sold his Bay Area bakery brand La Boulange to Starbucks for $100 million. La Boulange serves 140,000 customers a week at 22 locations. Starbucks gets nearly 40 million U.S. patrons a week.

The coffee behemoth, based in Seattle, has installed Rigo at the helm of its food operation, which he oversees from an expanded 40,000-square-foot research and development center in San Francisco.

But Rigo swears he hasn't "sold out or gone corporate." He has no chemists or food scientists on staff. "No compromises," he said during a recent visit to Southern California.

"It's a new beginning," he said. "The mission is higher than what I've ever done before."

Starbucks on Thursday reported fiscal third-quarter earnings of $417.8 million, up from $333.1 million in the year-earlier quarter. Revenue jumped 13.3% to $3.7 billion. Sales at stores open at least 13 months rose 8% globally and 9% in the U.S.

The company said it opened 341 new stores, bringing its worldwide total to 19,209 locations. For the full year, it expects revenue growth of as much as 13% as well as 600 new stores in the Americas.

Each year, some 1.5 billion people come into Starbucks without buying its food, Rigo said. He hopes to change that with new pastries spreading nationwide to nearly 7,000 company-owned stores by the end of the 2014 fiscal year.

First up: the so-called mini-bakeries that have already launched in Seattle and Bay Area stores. The displays will arrive in Los Angeles before hopping to Chicago. Customer sampling will be encouraged.

Products — made without artificial flavors, dyes or preservatives — include a summer berry croissant with a chunky fruit compote made in Orange County sans added sugar or gelatin. A spinach croissant is made with flaxseed and whole wheat crust. A downsized chocolate croissant has single-origin chocolate from Colombia.

The lemon loaf now comes in individual blocks instead of slices to better preserve moisture. Customers get their choice of glazes, including cream cheese and vanilla — Starbucks' attempt at customization.

The food, which will feature "affordable, not intimidating" pricing, is also designed to look handmade, Rigo said. Eventually, the new products will reach grocery stores as well.

"It's the habit of processed food to look pretty," he said. "These aren't pretty, or they're about as pretty as what you'd make at home." The move could put Starbucks squarely in contention with chains such as Corner Bakery Cafe, Au Bon Pain, Le Pain Quotidien and, the gorilla of the industry, Panera Bread Co.

"Nobody has really been able to take on Panera and equal what they can do," said Kathy Hayden, a food-service analyst with Mintel. "There seems to be more room in the bakery cafe market."

Starbucks has never been a destination for food, she said. But it's now tapping into a market increasingly filled with foodies who, as the job market improves, have less time on their hands.

"The demand is there for slightly better fast food," she said. "We're outgrowing our burger and fries drive-through ways."

The company is also making a stronger push into the lunch market, which it calls a "huge opportunity." Starbucks has two San Francisco stores testing lunch options such as soups and sandwiches made with pesto, chimichurri, and barbecue and hot sauce.

"We get as many customers during the lunch period as Subway, but nobody ever says, 'Let's have lunch at Starbucks,'" Rigo said.

In testing mode: rice pudding in glass jars and premium breakfast sandwiches with fine cheeses and breads.

Rigo, however, is not planning to turn the chain into a health food preacher.

"It's not something we're planning to push like crazy," he said. "People should live their lives."

For Los Angeles, Starbucks plans to experiment with chocolate and vanilla pan dulce, pan queso and other items designed to appeal to the large local Latino population.

Starbucks and Rigo also revamped the food manufacturing process. Instead of relying on a small number of massive facilities, the new items are coming from smaller production lines at 25 to 30 bakeries nationwide.

Spreading out manufacturing allows the company to source ingredients from local farmers. The company has also trimmed the time from production to consumption to 60 days from as long as six months previously. Rigo said he's hoping to further slash the period to 30 days.

"We need to treat frozen food like it's fresh," he said.

In an attempt at consistency throughout the chain, the food won't be baked by employees at Starbucks' far-flung stores. But the partner bakeries will be allowed a measure of flexibility on the ingredients they use, Rigo said.

The chain has worked in recent years to expand beyond coffee while also pursuing tastes that foodies can appreciate.

Starbucks bought San Bernardino juice maker Evolution Fresh Inc. in 2011. At the brand's first California store, which opened last year in San Francisco, patrons get handcrafted, non-heated juices as well as organic, vegetarian and vegan food options.

In December, Starbucks closed its acquisition of Teavana Holdings Inc., adding the tea retailer to its existing Tazo tea brand.

Earlier this week, Starbucks announced a partnership with Danone, parent of yogurt brands Oikos and Activia. Next year, the coffee giant will begin serving Greek yogurt parfaits branded Evolution Fresh, Inspired by Dannon.

Jason Moser, an analyst with Motley Fool, called Rigo's recent food enhancements "a perfectly logical step for Starbucks."

"It's amazing to think about how far Starbucks has gotten thus far having never really gotten the food part right," he said. "If this plays out the way they hope, it could provide a significant boost to sales for years to come."

Added Mintel's Hayden: "It's a new direction, not an over-extension, for Starbucks."

Mr.Swag

Banned
Looking forward to this.

I don't really visit Starbucks often, maybe once every 2 months, but their stuff is great.

I'm not a fan of the La Boulange stuff and sadly nothing has really got me to think otherwise about their food. The only good thing on the whole menu is the ham artisan sandwhich. They can take their "French Hot Dog" and shove it. All of the La Boulange is greasy when warmed and even with the addition of newer items like the danish it tastes manufactured somehow.

But lets really be honest here, those with actual taste most likely aren't going to Starbucks in the first place. I know I only go due to convenience, but if we're talking about taste. I'll hit up my local Specialties with Peets coffee.

Monocle

My local Starbucks stores have had this stuff for at least a month now (IIRC). Some of it is pretty good. I'm just glad Starbucks has expanded their selection of baked goods. Their regular offerings were getting samey.

I hope they never change the pumpkin bread recipe, though. Don't mess with perfection

I'm not a fan of the La Boulange stuff and sadly nothing has really got me to think otherwise about their food. The only good thing on the whole menu is the ham artisan sandwhich. They can take their "French Hot Dog" and shove it. All of the La Boulange is greasy when warmed and even with the addition of newer items like the danish it tastes manufactured somehow.

But lets really be honest here, those with actual taste most likely aren't going to Starbucks in the first place. I know I only go due to convenience, but if we're talking about taste. I'll hit up my local Specialties with Peets coffee.
Elitist lameness. People say this shit all the time, but I've tried literally dozens of local coffee places and I always go back to Starbucks for their consistency. Awesome mochas (if the sweetness is cut down a bit), awesome americanos and cappuccinos, pretty damn good pour-overs, and if your location happens to have a Clover brewer, you're set. Starbucks is no match for a few of the more expensive indie places, but they've established a consistent baseline of quality that's higher than people give them credit for.

daffy

Banned
About time. crusty ass blueberry muffins and those disheveled ass bread slices

Einstein's is where its at if you're trying to do lunch and coffee.

rodvik

Yeah its pretty poor warmed. Much better cold oddly.

Peets does serve better coffee buts thats primarily because they keep it fresh. It seems odd that Starbucks just lets their coffee stew out there for hours. Peets never does that.

I will say though that if you can find a Starbucks with a clover machine in it, order it. That is a good cup of coffee.

Zoe

They can do whatever they like as long as they haven't gotten rid of their brownies.

wildfire

Banned
He has no chemists or food scientists on staff.

Since when did this equate to a chef selling out?

It's nice that SB is trying to improve their food selection but they're delusional if they think more sugary style pastries screams lunch.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
$100 million for what?

You can't pick up a french pastry book and follow some recipes?

You can't make up your own French sounding name?

For $100 million you should be buying Bouchon, not La Boulange.

SKINNER!

Banned
The paninis and sandwiches in Starbucks are tasteless and overpriced. Only thing I ever order along with my weekly cup of coffee is the cheese and mushroom croissant. The cakes and biscuits are passable but certainly not worth £4/5. Good to hear they're revamping their food choices.

Rootbeer

Banned
"Starbucks has two San Francisco stores testing lunch options such as soups and sandwiches made with pesto, chimichurri, and barbecue and hot sauce."

Oooo I'd like to know which locations so I can check it out.

As a San Francisco native I am a regular at several La Boulange locations and have been for several years. When Starbucks acquired them I knew they must have something special in mind, because they are pretty amazing.

The new La Boulange items at Starbucks are a lot tastier, but if you live around their real locations like I do, the items they offer inside their own stores are still a lot better.

Don't charge me £5 for a wafer-thin slice of cake you tax avoiding bastards.

The new pastry are in mini loaves not slices so that problem will correct itself. However, the slices are done in-store so the thickness can vary a lot depending on the store and who is doing the cutting. This is a bigger problem for me at peets than starbucks though. Some stores give slices nearly twice as thick as other stores. Needless to say, I tend to give those stores more of my business.

nullset2

Well, I think Starbucks is super lol worthy in all regards, but last time when I went there to chat my friend's panini looked and smelled damn good... may be good...

'designed to look home-made'
'We need to treat frozen food like it's fresh,'

there is something evil genius about this statement.

I just imagine a factory with those cartoon robot arms with mickey mouse glove hands assembling sandwiches and shit.

BigDug13

I stopped going when their grande drinks went from around $3.50 to $4.50. When a sandwich and drink costs $9.00 at Starbucks, you start to wonder where the value is at all. It's no wonder McDonalds' coffee drinks have taken so many customers away when the alternative is way more expensive.

article said:
But Rigo swears he hasn't "sold out or gone corporate." He has no chemists or food scientists on staff. "No compromises," he said during a recent visit to Southern California.

The lemon loaf now comes in individual blocks instead of slices to better preserve moisture. Customers get their choice of glazes, including cream cheese and vanilla — Starbucks' attempt at customization.
Good thing none of those terrible god-defying scientists figured that out that compromise.

McLovin

I tried one of their old sandwiches. It looked nice but tasted like cold cardboard. Probably wouldn't have been so bad if hey toasted it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I stopped going when their grande drinks went from around $3.50 to $4.50. When a sandwich and drink costs $9.00 at Starbucks, you start to wonder where the value is at all. It's no wonder McDonalds' coffee drinks have taken so many customers away when the alternative is way more expensive.

Seriously. I don't mind paying $3 for a large iced coffee at Starbucks every once in awhile, but I pretty much only get my morning coffee from McDonald's at this point. It's less than half the price of what I used to get at Starbucks and (to me) it's just as good.

Also, the food at Starbucks sucks (except for their lemon cake). It can only get better.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So basically exactly like Panera?

The article mentions them.

The move could put Starbucks squarely in contention with chains such as Corner Bakery Cafe, Au Bon Pain, Le Pain Quotidien and, the gorilla of the industry, Panera Bread Co.

"Nobody has really been able to take on Panera and equal what they can do," said Kathy Hayden, a food-service analyst with Mintel. "There seems to be more room in the bakery cafe market."

Al-ibn Kermit

Most locations are so crowded that getting in and getting out is a pain, much less sitting down to eat something. Also I wouldn't personally want to have hearty, lunch food with coffee so that combination is a bit odd.

I think they should actually move more in the direction of IHOP and serve traditional, boring breakfast stuff all day. Even then they can have their own twists and signature dishes but with lunch food, you can't expect a lot of word-of-mouth from people boasting about the great soups and sandwiches at Starbucks.

I'm welcome to this (Any change really), many a time I've been hungry in a Starbucks and many a time I've left hungry because their food is expensive and tastes like ass.

way more

$100 million for what?

You can't pick up a french pastry book and follow some recipes?

You can't make up your own French sounding name?

For $100 million you should be buying Bouchon, not La Boulange.

Yeah, why don't they just teach all the workers and Starbucks to bake at home and bring the bread to work. That's up with manufacturing and distribution centers?

But who cares, everyone knows Seattle's Best is more authentic. Also, last time I ate their I had like millions of diarrhea's.

About damn time! It kills me when people come in just to get a crappy pastry from us, while real local bakeries and patisseries go out of business.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, why don't they just teach all the workers and Starbucks to bake at home and bring the bread to work. That's up with manufacturing and distribution centers?

But who cares, everyone knows Seattle's Best is more authentic. Also, last time I ate their I had like millions of diarrhea's.

Way to be a sarcastic ass.

No I meant, why not start up your own manufacturing arm instead of buying one. I doubt what they bought can supply everything they'd need as is.. and $100 million could build a helluva plant.

Baking really isn't all that mysterious. Making good stuff just means not skimping on the quality of ingredients and taking the correct amount of time to do things.

bcl0328

i hope they can take on panera, but be cheaper. i like the offerings at panera and wish there was more places like it. just a little expensive to eat there daily.

Yea that's great and all but It's all invalidated by their stupid pastry cases with tons of holes in them so fruit flies are attracted to all the shit in their. Why don't you fix that shit first.

It's hard to imagine Starbucks seriously challenging Panera when most of their stores are so damn tiny.

Honestly, I think Starbucks has over-expanded and cheapened their brand in the process. That said, they treat their employees very well compared to most foodservice companies, so I can't hate them like so many people seem to.

It's hard to imagine Starbucks seriously challenging Panera when most of their stores are so damn tiny.

Honestly, I think Starbucks has over-expanded and cheapened their brand in the process. That said, they treat their employees very well compared to most foodservice companies, so I can't hate them like so many people seem to.

Pretty much.

Starbucks in Dubai used to have the best chicken pasta salads. they stopped serving them - they were so damn good. Now its just the same cakes/muffins/sandwiches kinda things.

Starbucks in Dubai used to have the best chicken pasta salads. they stopped serving them - they were so damn good. Now its just the same cakes/muffins/sandwiches kinda things.

Reminds of me when I was at a Starbucks in Mexico. They had these amazing envueletas de poblano that were chicken, cheese, and poblano chilies in a tortilla envelope. Was soooo good.

Rootbeer

Banned
Now they just need more upscale coffee.

Funniest part is La Boulange, which Starbucks bought and who is handling their new food, has way better coffee than Starbucks and they charge the same per cup.

Yeah, I really don't get why they are the biggest name in coffee but don't strive to make the best coffee they can make. Aside from providing the cheapest coffee they can get away with I guess.

FoxSpirit

The paninis and sandwiches in Starbucks are tasteless and overpriced. Only thing I ever order along with my weekly cup of coffee is the cheese and mushroom croissant. The cakes and biscuits are passable but certainly not worth £4/5. Good to hear they're revamping their food choices.
Now imagine an "upsacle food" item from them. The price will be mindblowingly bad.

border

I don't see how they think they can compete with Panera when most of their pastries are still going to be shipped in frozen rather than made fresh on the premises. Not much they can do about that though, since their locations are too tiny to accomodate an oven to fresh-cook things.

ink4n3

I'm still not a fan. I hate getting funny looks when I order a large coffee. I don't know what the fuck a skinny large venti latte double shot is. I just want a plain coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom