• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield 30fps cap “not a sign it’s unfinished” claims God of War Ragnarok dev

Three

Alternative thread title "PlayStation dev preps fanbase for the inevitable 30fps future coming from 1st party games to the base PS5"

giphy.gif
Man, do you remember the shit HFW got and 30fps started trending on twitter when the trailer for HFW was released at 30fps?

I'm glad it took a Bethesda game of all things, a studio known for poor optimisation and stupidly linking physics and AI to framerate in their games for people to be more accepting of low framerates and no performance options though.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Crap like this is making think that the Halo Infinity haters are out in full force trying to discredit the game for no reason. They will find all kinds of things wrong with it even if it's the game this generation (not saying it will be or not be), they will frantically do anything to drop it to a 7/10.
A lot of them won't ever even play it.

That said I secretly still hope for a 60fps mode at some point, or even a 40fps mode.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm glad it took a Bethesda game of all thongs, a studio known for poor optimisation and stupidly linking physics and AI to framerate in their games for people to be more accepting of low framerates and no performance options though.

If only there was a major, massively successful RPG that was locked to 30fps and still sold 10 million units in 3 days, showing people were really accepting of 30fps when it can be justified by scope and hardware constraints.

Can’t quite recall the name of the game. Something like Belda?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If only there was a major, massively successful RPG that was locked to 30fps and still sold 10 million units in 3 days, showing people were really accepting of 30fps when it can be justified by scope and hardware constraints.

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

So Zelda is a broken and unfinished game? What on earth has happened to forums when 30 FPS is now seen as an unfinished game?
Console gamers have been spoiled by games developed with last gen in mind so they could run most of them at 60 fps. More and more games will start to only have 30 fps as developers prioritise visual effects over frame rate and push only the current gen consoles. As always if you want both most of the time you can get it on the PC for a (steep) price.

Three

What exactly are you arguing about here? A lot of games on Switch are 30fps, including Hellblade, and nobody would argue thats massive in scope. People are fine with 30fps on Switch and always have been. Nothing to do with accepting it based on some made up conditions about the game. Of course people are accepting of Zelda at 30fps too. It's an impressive game running on a handheld SoC. Nobody was arguing that 30fps stops sales either. Some of the best selling games in history were 30fps. A lot of people are absolutely fine with 30fps including me.

I'm pointing out that I'm glad that it took a Bethesda game, a studio that is known for some of the most poorly optimised and performing console games out there, a studio that framerate capped their last game even on PC because they had tied framerate to their physics (free dev provided ini cheatcode in a multiplayer game anyone? ) for the 30fps haters to be more accepting of no performance options and the lower framerate instead of bitching about it to other studios who had to go out of their way and provide higher framerate options.

Kumomeme

Xbox clarified this days later, actually. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7246...-60fps-mandate-microsoft-clarifies/index.html
Only warriors bringing this shit up.
why it took days to retract the statement is the question. as spokeperson he should clear of everything from very beginning. days later which mean it might not their inital believe as they changed mind later.

their PR afterward still revolve around this though
Only warriors bringing this shit up.

right, console warriors from both side, boasting and mocking each others based on statement or PR fueled by these platform company.

Last edited:
Console gamers have been spoiled by games developed with last gen in mind so they could run most of them at 60 fps. More and more games will start to only have 30 fps as developers prioritise visual effects over frame rate and push only the current gen consoles. As always if you want both most of the time you can get it on the PC for a (steep) price.
You would like to think so-called console gamers would have the common sense to know some games will run at 30 FPS and some at 60 FPS. I can't think of any console that run every game on it at 60 FPS

mdkirby

60fps has its place where it’s important, a single player bethesda game is not one of them. It would be a “nice to have” sure, but it’s not important, a locked/stable 30 with an immersive impressive looking and richly detailed world is much more important that the frame bump. Fighting games, twitchy fps games and multiplayer games in general 60fps is important. And I’d say things like from soft games that require precision and getting hit is high risk should be 60. Bethesda is sloppy combat with great narrative and world building. Just not needed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
FF16 looks the exact same in both modes. the only difference is the base resolution before the shitty FSR2 upscales the image.
all the settings are the same. both modes look soft and shimmery.

also in 30fps mode you LITERALLY can't see anything as soon as the camera moves. GREAT FIDELITY!
FyceCsaXsAAtE0l

No wonder preorders are low.

GymWolf

hahaha that's the one, how the hell did you remember the name. I've seen Blade a fews times now and couldn't come close to remembering the name.
I absolutely loved blade, rewatched like 20 times when i was a kid and pearl was fucking hilarious, i was genuinely sad when he died like a rotisserie chicken...

Last edited:

hlm666

I absolutely loved blade, rewatched like 20 times when i was a kid and pearl was fucking hilarious, i was genuinely sad when he died like a rotisserie chicken...
whistlers entrance there is one of my all time faves, "Catch you fuckers at a bad time". It's up there with Sam Elliot in ghostrider "i've got one last ride in me"

Fools idol

Banned
McDonalds has a track record of producing cheap burgers with questionable ingredients.

Bethesda has a track record of buggy launches.

People continue to buy McDonalds because they like the taste.

I'm not so sure Bethesda can afford another disaster launch. They better be careful.

EdGalTBR

Banned
McDonalds has a track record of producing cheap burgers with questionable ingredients.

Bethesda has a track record of buggy launches.

People continue to buy McDonalds because they like the taste.

I'm not so sure Bethesda can afford another disaster launch. They better be careful.
I'm sure Bethesda and Xbox are aware of this.

PeteBull

I was led to believe that the XSX ate monsters for breakfast.
It does, at 30 frames per second speed ;D (joking aside cant expect open world next gen only game to run stable 60fps on 500$ mashine, we got high end pc rigs for that, that cost 1k usd+), like this rig, i can guarantee 1440p high in 60fps stable there, but price tag 1112usd https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XYTKyK which means u gotta pay over 2,2x higher price for 60fps and u still wont get 4k, but rather 1440p, in terms of pixels 1440p is 78% more vs full hd, 4k is 4x more.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Who cares, play it at 30fps and enjoy. Or play it on PC at up to 360 fps at the res of your liking, problem solved.

There's also another option for some of you to end up less concerned and irritated: Buy an Xbox.

Last edited:

Tsaki

'It doesn't need to be 4k ( which is expensive) it could be 1080p at 60 or another variable resolution at 60. They want to keep it locked at 30 4k and push the visuals to a high level on this scale.'

Ok. So it could hit 60 fps by lowering the settings? But for some reason it MUST be 4K on the X, whatever the cost? What is even his point? People are asking for choice. Keep the 4K30 and give another mode that hits 60 with another resolution and visual settings.
He doesn't even work on the project so he has no idea how this game works underneath.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Well, in a generation with VRR the option to play it unlocked should still be available. It's a pretty blatant omission for a game of this caliber.

Tsaki

They did some early testing with lowering it to 480p and 60fps for the frame snobs. Here is some early footage they had before they scrapped it.

engineering reverse GIF
On the recommended settings it lists 3600X CPU (never mind the 2600X for the minimum). So either the game is CPU bound which means that it has shit code that cannot leverage the 4 extra threads the Series X has over PC or it is GPU bound which means halving the graphical strain doubles the performance. Unless Bethesda come out and say the exact reason and which part of the system is the bottleneck and why, people should assume it's technical incompetence.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I wouldn't say unfinished, but a sign of laziness.

You can get a sense that some devs are starting to force once again the 30fps mark only and ditching multiple graphics modes in console gaming.

As big as Starfield is, a performance mode would be totally doable if they wanted, even if they had to launch it after the game releases.

Give players the option to choose, don't cap them from that.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Not for me. I always choose graphics over performance when playing my Xbox and PS games.

Why did you respond with a laugh emoji at the guy 2 posts above ? Can't you respect other people's opinion ? Just 'cause you don't have a problem does it mean that everyone else should share the same opinion ? Is having options a bad thing now ? How? why ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom