• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

StereoVsn

That's not what is happening though. A significant number of negative reviews are coming from those who bought the game outside Steam and are not eligible for refund. I think the poor reviews are due to 1) people who just don't like the game 2) poor performance. One of those can be fixed and desperately need to be.
Technically 1 could be fixed to an extent. UI improvements and a proper map could help quite a bit I would think.

Shit performance is of course the priority, both on PC and Xbox (even worse ratings there), but UI and Performance teams are mostly going to be different folks so it could be done on parallel.

However considering Todd's flat out denial of performance issues, who knows if things will improve and by how much.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For those of you lingering on about steam player count being the most important metric ever, dont forget that games like Goose Goose Duck is the 10th highest ever at 700,000, Lost Ark peaked at 1.3M and Top 20 games like Capcom Stadium 1 and 2 games are top choices at almost 500,000 each.

If peak concurrent player counts are so important, then games like GoW at 73,000, Horizon at 56,000, R&C and 9,000 and Returnal at 7,000 must means these are the worst games ever. Vampire Survivors has a higher rating, more concurrent player count and all time peak count higher than any of these games. In fact, VS currently has a higher concurrent player count than all of these combined even if you include DG, Uncharted and Last of Us too. A 8-bit looking indie game has more players playing it now than all these combined.

SonyToo

More like Bugthesda optimization issues. The Todd Artist lied again with Phil's shit eating grin on Bloomberg TV.

Last edited:
That's not what is happening though. A significant number of negative reviews are coming from those who bought the game outside Steam and are not eligible for refund. I think the poor reviews are due to 1) people who just don't like the game 2) poor performance. One of those can be fixed and desperately need to be.
I hope not. Reviewing bombing is so childish. Even when I hear it happen to games I don't even intend to play, it's cringe af.
How far is it ahead of fallout 76?
Hmm.... way ahead. but wearing Power Armor is still fun in 76.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Technically 1 could be fixed to an extent. UI improvements and a proper map could help quite a bit I would think.

Shit performance is of course the priority, both on PC and Xbox (even worse ratings there), but UI and Performance teams are mostly going to be different folks so it could be done on parallel.

However considering Todd's flat out denial of performance issues, who knows if things will improve and by how much.

That's the worrying part. Telling folks to buy new hardware is probably one of the more arrogant comments I've heard from a studio in a while. Like ZehDon ZehDon said, some of us are able to brute force through the issues, but plenty of others are quite vocal in the problems they are having when they have hardware that exceeds recommended.

MBF2qUY.png
UP6gKcx.png

feynoob

That's the worrying part. Telling folks to buy new hardware is probably one of the more arrogant comments I've heard from a studio in a while. Like ZehDon ZehDon said, some of us are able to brute force through the issues, but plenty of others are quite vocal in the problems they are having when they have hardware that exceeds recommended.

MBF2qUY.png
UP6gKcx.png
Those are fake reviews.
1.4 hour? That is not enough for the starter.

Lokaum D+

MBF2qUY.png
UP6gKcx.png
Todd said that the game is already optimezed for PC, time to upgrade atleast that 2 year old GPU

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, assumption is that most people willing to put up with a game for 10+ hours are going to be more positive. I am sure if you go like 20-30 hours it will increase.

You will have folks that are going to be disappointed but all in all in most games higher hours played equivalent to higher ratings holds.
There are a lot of negative ratings from people who spent more than 80 hours in the game. Like this one:

ntSkhNw.jpg

Dude played for 91 hours and said the game felt small and was upset that it only brought new experiences for 91 hours. Like what did they do for 91 hours in a small game? Some games are kind of fickle.

StereoVsn

There are a lot of negative ratings from people who spent more than 80 hours in the game. Like this one:

ntSkhNw.jpg

Dude played for 91 hours and said the game felt small and was upset that it only brought new experiences for 91 hours. Like what did they do for 91 hours in a small game? Some games are kind of fickle.
They different starts, diff characters, ship builder, etc... and by the end realized the game isn't quite what they expected. Opinions can change in the course of a playthrough.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They different starts, diff characters, ship builder, etc... and by the end realized the game isn't quite what they expected. Opinions can change in the course of a playthrough.
Of course opinions can change. It just seems like masochism to continue to force yourself to play a game for that long if you don't feel like you're getting what you want from it.

Kilau

Gold Member

ntSkhNw.jpg

This is how the dude plays Bethesda and other games.

5SRm5mN.jpg

91 hours and already done with it does say something.

feynoob

ntSkhNw.jpg

He has the balls of steel for enduring that much gameplay time. dude played that long in just 10 days.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so neogaf's plan has worked. i am currently hoovering over the buy now box with my mouse,..
how is the loot in this game?

GHG

Gold Member
No, I didn't attack him. I don't understand him.

There is no rule that states if you spend a certain amount of time with a game then you must give it a positive review.

People leaving negative reviews after a couple of hours with the game - too short a playtime, trolls, fake news, Sony ponies, etc etc.

People leaving negative reviews after dozens of hours of playtime - gretahowdareyou.gif, videogames must be their job, fickle, etc

Can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
You're telling me I can get paid for this shit?!

j1KNsNe.png

I just checked out of interest... not sure whether this is impressive or embarrassing to admit but my most played game is 3,954 hours (Forza Horizon 4). Second most played is 865 hours on Call of Duty MW3 which I haven't played since 2016. (The last CoD game I bought.)

anthraticus

Banned
It's the same with films. I've watched a film where it's good at the beginning and I enjoy watching it, but as it goes on, it goes downhill and I realise I'm not enjoying it any more.
The epitome of the post Morrowind Bethesduh games. The more and more you play them, the worse and worse they get once the repetition sets in and the recognition of all the bland, generic, shit design becomes apparent once you have more experience with it.

feynoob

The epitome of the post Morrowind Bethesduh games. The more and more you play them, the worse and worse they get once the repetition sets in and the recognition of all the bland, generic, shit design becomes apparent once you have more experience with it.
They rely on mods to give you ultimate experience.
Sadly, Bethesda is abusing that option.

RGB'D

MBF2qUY.png
UP6gKcx.png
I call BS. I am locked 60 fps in ultrawide 1440p with no issues with literally the same setup. 5950X, 3080 TI 32 GB RAM. 18 hours of play (more because I lost a few hours after I loaded a previous save to change some decisions)

Top Bottom