• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

yamaci17

Mouse users. I'm fine with 30fps if it's what's accessible. Has to be with a controller though. With a mouse, 30fps is total no go. I haven't used a mouse in a long time but I do use gyro aiming which changes things in a similar way.
40 fps , with VRR and low input lag framelimiter is very playable for me . I've actually played Cyberpunk with ray tracing this way on PC. If I train myself and endure enough, I'm sure I can get used to 30 FPS as well. but that's a stretch for most users.

It was a decision between

- 50 / 60 FPS and 1440p DLSS quality [which looked really blurry and for me, personally, it was blurry to a point it lost meaning to play it with ray tracing. why have crazy good lighting when you can't appreciate it due to extreme blurring]
- 40 FPS locked and 4K DLSS balanced [which looked amazingly crisp and clean, to a point even without ray tracing, it still looked better than the alternative above. but with ray tracing, its the best graphically pleasing game I've ever played].

You can see I'm having no trouble at all and it is really enjoyable. With NVIDIA reflex, you can even have further lower input lag. Not being forced to play with Vsync is huge to begin with. For reference; people who played at 60 hz 60 FPS VSYNC for years have played with worse input lag / input responsiveness than non-Vsync 40 FPS. I still do experiments from time to time and I can definitely say even for a FPS game, 40 FPS VRR/no Vsync has better input responsiveness than 60 FPS no VRR/Vsync. It's just a food for thought considering many folks who played FPS games that way for YEARS... and now 40 FPS is a herecy.

Visually, 40 FPS looks okay! 30 too. It is mostly about input responsiveness.

I will do the same with Starfield. I will go with 4K/FSR balanced and a 40 FPS lock. Practically Xbox SX with a bit of tweaked freedom (sx is 4k fsr quality with 30 FPS lock). My 3070 should punch just a bit above Xbox SX for enough grunt to get that 40 FPS lock. We already know Xbox SX is also more than capable of 30 FPS lock at those settings. It is purely bad design by Bethesda. They have a VRR/LFC capable console in their hands and not utilizing it in the slightest way possible.

Logically.. having high framerates usually are required to have very precise response to gameplay. But these games have... dumb AI/dumb bots that just muck around. You don't actually REALISTICALLY... require high framerates to ADVANCE... even at so called "high" difficulties where things are just more bullet sponge, not smarter.

Last edited:

Crayon

40 fps , with VRR and low input lag framelimiter is very playable for me . I've actually played Cyberpunk with ray tracing this way on PC. If I train myself and endure enough, I'm sure I can get used to 30 FPS as well. but that's a stretch for most users.

It was a decision between

- 50 / 60 FPS and 1440p DLSS quality [which looked really blurry and for me, personally, it was blurry to a point it lost meaning to play it with ray tracing. why have crazy good lighting when you can't appreciate it due to extreme blurring]
- 40 FPS locked and 4K DLSS balanced [which looked amazingly crisp and clean, to a point even without ray tracing, it still looked better than the alternative above. but with ray tracing, its the best graphically pleasing game I've ever played].

You can see I'm having no trouble at all and it is really enjoyable. With NVIDIA reflex, you can even have further lower input lag. Not being forced to play with Vsync is huge to begin with. For reference; people who played at 60 hz 60 FPS VSYNC for years have played with worse input lag / input responsiveness than non-Vsync 40 FPS. I still do experiments from time to time and I can definitely say even for a FPS game, 40 FPS VRR/no Vsync has better input responsiveness than 60 FPS no VRR/Vsync. It's just a food for thought considering many folks who played FPS games that way for YEARS... and now 40 FPS is a herecy.

Visually, 40 FPS looks okay! 30 too. It is mostly about input responsiveness.

I will do the same with Starfield. I will go with 4K/FSR balanced and a 40 FPS lock. Practically Xbox SX with a bit of tweaked freedom (sx is 4k fsr quality with 30 FPS lock). My 3070 should punch just a bit above Xbox SX for enough grunt to get that 40 FPS lock. We already know Xbox SX is also more than capable of 30 FPS lock at those settings. It is purely bad design by Bethesda. They have a VRR/LFC capable console in their hands and not utilizing it in the slightest way possible.

Logically.. having high framerates usually are required to have very precise response to gameplay. But these games have... dumb AI/dumb bots that just muck around. You don't actually REALISTICALLY... require high framerates to ADVANCE... even at so called "high" difficulties where things are just more bullet sponge, not smarter.

I haven't tried 40fps. I like the idea. It might make a mouse fine for me. 30 is the borderline of 'its fine' and 33% more would be a massive difference from there. Especially if the lag was minimized like you did.

yamaci17

I haven't tried 40fps. I like the idea. It might make a mouse fine for me. 30 is the borderline of 'its fine' and 33% more would be a massive difference from there. Especially if the lag was minimized like you did.
I initially played cyberpunk with a gtx 1080, and at 1080p DF optimized settings (med high mixed), I was getting around 45-55 FPS, with GPU pegged at %99. back then, NVIDIA Reflex didn't exist, so there was no way to chop off GPU bound input lag that most people were getting. It was playable but input lag was really horrible. There I discovered the benefit of 40 FPS. Once I set the game locked to 40 FPS (only target where I always had upwards %10 gpu headroom) , it became immensely more responsive as the GPU now head headroom and did not buffer frames anymore. it was an amazing improvement.

Reflex can do it automatically nowadays. What matters for me for the game to have stable frametimes in general however. Cyberpunk had very stable frametimes for me regardless of framerate. Starfield seems simlar, aside from hitching in cities where it even happens on Xbox too

I can, definitely, say that GPU bound 55 FPS had MUCH higher input lag than locked 40 FPS in the case of Cyberpunk. I think this is caused when the GPU is at %99 and buffers a lot of frames, resulting extra unnecessary input lag. Reflex primarily addresses that.

You can inject Reflex into Starfield with Special K (SKIF) by the way

Bkdk

If bethesda game studios insists on taking 7-10 years for their game development cycle, then seems like they will have to drop one of their IP, or MS will just make their titles do what activision is doing to COD. MS has a lot of RPG devs so they will likely just make them all do fallout, elder scrolls and starfield. MS should also purchase mass effect and dragon age too and make it 1 new iteration from these 5 IPs per year with all their studios rotate between these IPs. Honestly I wouldn't mind too much.

Puscifer

I'm sorry brother :messenger_loudly_crying: I was hoping you were enjoying it.
Man it's just, it's Fallout 4 all over again and and considering how I dropped it that should've been a sign.

7/10 is a fair score, the game works but it's painful generic and mind numbing boring.

Bonus content:

7 is fair, it honestly is. It's the worse parts of fallout 4 IN SPACE! I honestly think 4-5 planets in another solar system would've perfect.

moon-patrol-arcade-wide.png
Planet surface vehicles in 1982?

lucius

I got 80+ hours in it is ok I don’t think it’s better than Fallout 4 even though I only changed my view of that game my 3rd play. The gunplay feels floaty not just cause of gravity, put in Cyberpunk there is more weight in gunplay. The enemy variety is kind of bland and outpost building was driving me crazy I gave up after a day of messing around with what seems like a waste. I will play it again once they fix the glitches, HDR and optimize it better, I have better games to play. The mantis quest was great the main quests are pretty boring, I don’t understand any those reviews said that part was good, it starts out ok then it just same thing like an afterthought. I knew it would never hold that 89% it’s way closer to 72% which it is now, even though it may go anywhere from 68%- 75% which it deserves.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really sincerely hope for fans of elder scrolls that it is more refined and they listen to the fans in terms of the needs of what is expected of modern games. There is a degree of development to where you have a formula that just works and we have games that are coming on now that play the same as they did probably in the PS2 area. But what certain games like this I personally view myself as somebody wanting more than just the same movement and feeling I want more fluidity in the action and definitely a better story.

I like the amount of things that you could do on the side it's just as a whole package, it seems like they're doing more in scarfield but they are leaving a lot on the table with the user interface and just the overall execution. It just presents itself in a package that doesn't meet expectations hence why you see the scores the way you see them. And to be fair as I've mentioned before, I did say Skyrim was a seven but initially when I got it, I thought it was also maybe an eight or nine. These are the kinds of things that happened so you can't fall in love with your initial impression as over time if you're being fair and constructively critical, a game has to be a ballpark home run and every aspect for you to even get a nine. This game is nowhere near that and I don't see how anybody can talk themselves into feeling that way unless your standards are very low.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If bethesda game studios insists on taking 7-10 years for their game development cycle, then seems like they will have to drop one of their IP, or MS will just make their titles do what activision is doing to COD. MS has a lot of RPG devs so they will likely just make them all do fallout, elder scrolls and starfield. MS should also purchase mass effect and dragon age too and make it 1 new iteration from these 5 IPs per year with all their studios rotate between these IPs. Honestly I wouldn't mind too much.
Yeah. Not a bad idea.
Give fallout to obsidian who made the best fallout game in the series anyway. No one wants to play avowed or outer worlds.

Give starfield to arkhane. It’s probably more up their alley and they will probably do a better job managing an existing ip then creating niche games no one wants to play.

Have Bethesda make Elder scrolls exclusively.

Keep playground making fable. Kill the horizon franchise despite the big gamepass numbers. It only charted at number 20 on npd for the year.

Hell, give 343 a shot at making starfield. They fucked up halo but I don’t trust them making a new ip from scratch and halo is poison anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah. Not a bad idea.
Give fallout to obsidian who made the best fallout game in the series anyway. No one wants to play avowed or outer worlds.

Give starfield to arkhane. It’s probably more up their alley and they will probably do a better job managing an existing ip then creating niche games no one wants to play.

Keep playground making fable. Kill the horizon franchise despite the big gamepass numbers. It only charted at number 20 on npd for the year.

Hell, give 343 a shot at making starfield. They fucked up halo but I don’t trust them making a new ip from scratch and halo is poison anyway.
The same Obsidian that no longer has those key people and developed Outer Worlds?

The same situation with Arkane that did Redfall?

The key players mainly responsible for those past games are no longer there. The names are just left romanticized. Like Bioware.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
The same Obsidian that no longer has those key people and developed Outer Worlds?

The same situation with Arkane that did Redfall?

The key players mainly responsible for those past games are no longer there. The names are just left romanticized. Like Bioware.
Felt this way watching the leaked footage of Assassin's Creed Mirage the other day - like the industry has been gutted of talent and all that's left are tribute acts playing yesteryear's hits on repeat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The Nvidia driver release is probably helping. Some people are seeing pretty good performance gains from it. I also think anyone playing this game now knows what they're in for.
Did nvidia released new drivers for starfield?

Edit: ok it's just for the gamepass version...

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
More and more people are finding it boring and tons of flaws.

I thought it started horribly, had some decent fun and then around the 20 hour mark I was struggling to continue. If I hadn't gotten a discount key and had gotten it directly from Steam I would probably refund and wait until more mods are out.

Never did I dream that I would fall off a Bethesda game so hard (skipping Fallout 76 after the beta).

More and more people are finding it boring and tons of flaws.

I thought it started horribly, had some decent fun and then around the 20 hour mark I was struggling to continue. If I hadn't gotten a discount key and had gotten it directly from Steam I would probably refund and wait until more mods are out.

Never did I dream that I would fall off a Bethesda game so hard (skipping Fallout 76 after the beta).
I'm kind of the opposite. I liked the game just fine early on, but at about 49 hours now, my enjoyment keeps going up.

Don't let me or anyone else dissuade your enjoyment the game. I just reached a point where I was forcing myself to play it and knew I should stop.
It seems to be a divisive game for Bethesda fans for sure. It's funny how all 3 of their IPs appeal to different people. I like Elder Scrolls and don't much like Fallout, but Starfield's setting just does it for me. My wife likes Starfield but just wants Elder Scrolls back. She felt the same way playing Fallout.

I still think Bethesda fans who enjoy all 3 IPs exist, but I really think they've created 3 different fanbases.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Who started the thread with very very positive reviews on steam?
That's why stuff like this just needs to be kept in the review thread and maybe then edited for joke or whatever you want to entertain yourself with. But the fact of the matter is is that this thread was made about Steam reviews being very very positive in order to fly in the face of what metacritic is saying which is already pretty mixed.

So it's somebody jumping the gun and making a thread which is backfired because the reviews on the steam platform say otherwise versus the other inflated reviews that are probably too high as it is. And you have to remember the media plays by different rules. Not the consumer.

Respect media that isn't afraid to give a game a proper score while praising it and constructively criticizing it. As I said before, if a game is a seven, that's not bad. It's the fact that nines and tens are handed out like candy and the same people that champion making threads like this on those premises don't understand why the balance of a more critical review is best.

It all reads nicely for the poster and you make this PR thing that has 45 10 out of 10s and this magazine or outlet reviewing it highly but that's all that's good for. These people that play the game to get early enough access are the ones you should be questioning the most versus the ones that get the game and play it for two or three straight weeks not drinking the Kool-Aid and not being afraid to criticize the game. But those are the ones that aren't going to be getting the games early enough because they are too honest LOL

That is the current balance of the modern-day review process. Take it or leave it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah. Not a bad idea.

Killing Forza: Horizon would be literally one of the worse things MS could ever do for the Xbox gaming brand.

yurinka

There it is my Starfield lovers.
4rhYxW1.jpg
48wrOtF.jpg
Shocked What Is It GIF

Movie Reaction GIF

Killing Forza: Horizon would be literally one of the worse things MS could ever do for the Xbox gaming brand.
Basically the whole lead team behind it left Microsoft. MS will want to continue making sequels because it's one of the (or maybe THE) best selling MGS games, but not sure if the quality will be at the same level. To replace a guy is pretty easy, but all these guys at the same time maybe not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom