• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Topher

Gold Member
Idiots is a stupid term here. However for folks who don’t have much money, they should be budgeted much smarter.

I didn’t have much at all when I was young, worked part time jobs, then worked and went to University at same time.

Basically the money I spent on gaming was rentals, sharing with friends, piracy (no Steam, convenient sales, no money, it is what it is) and used games.

That way gaming budget stretched much much more. $70-90 games almost never happened and if they did it was an event. Phantasy Star 4 and FF3 (6) were freaking events.

So yeah, folks should spend their money better but on the other hand… I can see being utterly disappointed but still playing the game if I spent the resort of money back then. Like if FFVI or VII were trash, I would have still played them.

It’s just there are so many more resources and games you can access on the cheap or for free, $70 shouldn’t be a budget players approach.

Yeah, there are more intelligent ways to discuss this than to describe others as "idiots" based entirely on a decision in buying a video game. I agree that folks who are truly budget constrained should probably avoid $70 games. But if they don't then that doesn't make them an idiot. Just means they made a risky, possibly poor, decision. It happens.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, there are more intelligent ways to discuss this than to describe others as "idiots" based entirely on a decision in buying a video game. I agree that folks who are truly budget constrained should probably avoid $70 games. But if they don't then that doesn't make them an idiot. Just means they made a risky, possibly poor, decision. It happens.
Hell, I'm not budget constrained and I stopped buying up day 1 games when I had no time, where they just ended in my backlog. By the time I had gotten to the game, I could have just waited and purchased it for $15-$30. Only time I do day 1, is a game I intend on playing day 1 now. I no longer have FOMO, especially for single player games.

Venom Snake

here before 69 😎
lf6lxz.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Hell, I'm not budget constrained and I stopped buying up day 1 games when I had no time, where they just ended in my backlog. By the time I had gotten to the game, I could have just waited and purchased it for $15-$30. Only time I do day 1, is a game I intend on playing day 1 now. I no longer have FOMO, especially for single player games.

I'm not either and I'm typically renting on gamefly or buying physical and reselling on ebay. Lessons learned over time. Either way, this thread has taken such a bizarre turn with shifting the focus from the game to the gamer. Maybe that's the intent.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Still waiting for you to falsify tophers statement
I kind of did, exactly in the very word diarrhea you refuse to reply to.

Let me help you:
Someone can do all the research in the world and still not like a game they bought. [... something about it being difficult cause opinions differ on the game, lol] At some point people have to decide for themselves, research be damned. If they make that decision to buy the game and end up not liking it then that doesn't make them an idiot.
The more knowledge you gain about a game, the higher the chance you can correctly tell if the game will be for you.
The knowledge you gain about a game can get so high that making a wrong decision becomes very unlikely.
If you haven't gained enough knowledge yet, you can always gain more (up to everything there is to know, theoretically).

This can be done by anyone who is capable of gaining knowledge.
If you don't do any of that at all or just for very little time and you only have money for one or two games per year and you spend that little money on the game anyway, then you have made a stupid decision.
It is a legitimate jab to call someone who made a stupid decision an idiot about it.
I didn't plan it like that, but it seems to relate fairly well to me.

Making a risky, poor decision is an idiot's move. There aren't really two ways about it.
Calling someone an idiot in clear context to a stupid move doesn't mean you are branding them for life or call everything they do stupid. This is the internet, it's a jab. Get over yourself.

Seems to me the only real difference in this regard is that I call a spade a spade when I see it without caring if I harm their feefees and you like to touch people with velvet gloves and be flowery about it.
Whatever.

Either way, this thread has taken such a bizarre turn with shifting the focus from the game to the gamer. Maybe that's the intent.
I do agree with that.
If I was a mod, I'd move this to a different topic. Alas...

Last edited:

SiahWester

It's just underwhelming. That's what it is. I should have followed my gut and not fallen for their labor day weekend scam. Hoping that mods can make this into something more memorable one day.

The thing that really just blows my mind is how they handled travel. Everything is behind loading screens. It makes the experience feel extremely disjointed. After No Mans Sky I just don't understand why they'd think that'd be acceptable. It's a huge letdown.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Making a risky, poor decision is an idiot's move. There aren't really two ways about it.
Calling someone an idiot in clear context to a stupid move doesn't mean you are branding them for life or call everything they do stupid. This is the internet, it's a jab. Get over yourself.

Nah.....calling anyone an idiot in any context when talking about something as trivial as making a decision in buying a video game is needless and uncalled for. I say keep the criticism focused on the argument or the action, not the person.

We won't see eye to eye on this. Agree to disagree I guess.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It's just underwhelming. That's what it is. I should have followed my gut and not fallen for their labor day weekend scam. Hoping that mods can make this into something more memorable one day.
Pretty sure they can.
There are already a lot of mods that make significant improvements to graphics, UI and some gameplay elements already.

Of course, the big overhaul mods will have to wait a little...

SiahWester

Pretty sure they can.
There are already a lot of mods that make significant improvements to graphics, UI and some gameplay elements already.

Of course, the big overhaul mods will have to wait a little...
I think so too and that's why I bought the game. There's a lot of potential there, but I know it's gonna take time.

Raven117

Gold Member

The thing that really just blows my mind is how they handled travel. Everything is behind loading screens. It makes the experience feel extremely disjointed. After No Mans Sky I just don't understand why they'd think that'd be acceptable. It's a huge letdown.
Baffling.

I fully believe they had something else in mind, it didn’t work, and they had to put something else together.

EDMIX

Sure, but the problem is that in the end, the recommendations end up to form a score.
Sure, but its why i feel the score and the context of what they are saying must be used in tandem. I think recommend or do not recommend doesn't always tell the whole story, same as a score, so the context of their why is important.

Someone can play 1 hour and say they don't recommend it, but shit we don't know what they wanted from the game to understand their reasoning, for all we know they thought it was a Star Trek Deep Space Nine simulator, found out it wasn't and didn't have Avery Brooks and gave it that score lol

Someone can play 170 hours and have a list of issues where they realize they can't in honesty recommend the title when they've completed the game. So both might come to the score of do not recommend, both might have different reasons though.
What?!
I cannot read, after all!
lol NP, when I first read thru it I didn't realize myself that they said that lol

EDMIX

There are plenty of psychological reasons why a person might continue to play a game that they don't really enjoy (sometimes this can happen without the realisation that they aren't enjoying said activity until after some reflection - this phenomenon is common with modern day hamster wheel GAAS titles).

Never heard of sunk cost fallacy?

The attitude you're displaying is typical of what EDMIX EDMIX alluded to. Apparently there's now this review checklist that seems to only apply for Starfield negative (more on this later) reviews. "you didn't play long enough", "you played too much, you must be lying and actually like it", "ignore the story", "no don't play it like this", "no don't fast travel like that", "no only touch Sarah's bum like this", "but did you play until NG+5?".

Seriously, you can't force people who don't like it to like it and those who dislike it are entitled to their opinion no matter how few or many hours they played the game for.

And finally, where's all this scrutiny for the reviews with positive ratings on Steam? Is this recent incoherent positive review with 1.1 hours of playtime more qualified than a negative one with over 100 hours of playtime? :

g4cMXbO.jpg

Take a deep breath and then try reading the thread title and OP again. Keep reading until it sinks in.

Thank you so much!

I don't wish for this to turn into a thing where people are now questioning someone even playing the game as some evidence they must love it or some weird shit like this.

We literally just had a thread where we talked about if reviewers should have to play the whole game. Playing something to the end cannot now be seen as some proof or evidence that someone loved or liked a game beyond this point or that point or something weird like this.

I watch shows I know are not Emmy type fucking shows, I play games i know are 100% not 10/10 type things. 10/10 is a rare score as it should be. Out of hundreds of games I beat last gen, maybe only 10 games I would consider 10/10, that doesn't fucking mean I hated everything I played outside of those games or something and its funny cause most of the 10/10 games...I did not play beyond 100 hours before giving that score.

The Last Of Us 2 - 30 hours.
Persona 5 - 70 hours (we did all the social link stuff that go us to over 100 hours on another run, but my first playthrough was 70 hours and the 10/10 imho was based on that, anything else is more cherries on top lol)
Yakuza 0 - 40 hours
Nier Automata - 25 hours
Horizon Zero Dawn - 90 hours
Spiderman - (we don't recall the hours, but it damn well wasn't over 100 lol)
Ghost Of Tushima 84 hours
Sekiro - 38 hours
God Of War Ragnarok 35

My point is simply that I played many games last gen beyond 100 hours, BF4, BF 2042, AC Origin etc, doesn't mean they are 10/10 or even 9/10. Its quality over quantity. A lot of hours doesn't mean someone thinks the game is GOTY or something. 100 hours in Assassins Creed Origin to one, is not the same as 100 hours in BoTW. (that isn't talking shit about either game btw, that is same some of you are fucking smart enough to realize that we can not score based on TIME alone)

More context is needed.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Starfield was a very hyped game. It didn’t live up to the crazy hype similar to how cp2077 didn’t at launch either.

Both games are a lot of fun. I enjoyed my 70 hours of starfield just fine and dandy.

It doesn’t need to be a GOTG.

EDMIX

Are you kidding? This broke new ground! Finally there's women in almost all leadership positions.

To be fair, that point makes more sense and I never got how anyone was triggered by that.

Statistically, the fastest growing group of business owners and leaders are black women. (my sister included in this). I think a of it stems from an idea of having to deal with a industry where they feel they will not be taken seriously, may not get a raise, may not get a promotion etc, so over time they start to move away from that "climb the ladder" idea cause they feel THAT idea doesn't work for "them"..keep in mind they are correct to feel this way, as the numbers don't really lie on this.

So saying in the future that women might be in more leadership roles sounds more likely in the future then most realize. That is already happening now lol

Regardless, I've never really cared about stuff like that included in futuristic type games, as their merely showing you what the future might be, not the idea that they agree with this or that or want this or that etc. I see many get confused by this and assume someone is "pushing" this or that, but shit if you dislike certain people or certain groups, why would you think they would disappear in the future or something? lol dislike them in your new work about the future, even shit I work on takes into consideration that parties I don't like or states or something will still exist lol Its not an endorsement, it may merely be a reflection in what they think it will be like.

Either way, its also a game lol I mean its like saying you spoke to every single last leader of the human race or something lol You are merely seen a extremely small slice

It's certainly superior, but that took time for it to get where it is. A few years and Starfield will probably be a completely different game thanks to mods.
The defenders of this game themselves seem to have zero expectations of the devs. The common defenses of this game I have seen include: it will be a completely different game "due to mods"; the metacritic score will be better "due to mods"; the steam reviews will be better "due to mods". My contention is if the game is mediocre and the devs did diddly squat to improve it, why should the game be rated any better on its store page. The mods and the mod authors should be reviewed well and compensated not the lazy devs, who delivered a mediocre game. Maybe CDPR and Hello should have sat on their asses and delivered no improvements to their middling releases as somebody or the other would deliver mods at some point in time that would improve their games.

TMLT

Game pretty much lived up to my (realistic) expectations. Bethesda game in space with all the good and bad that entails. Not great, not shit. It was always going to generate extreme opinions though given the hype and that its an exclusive.

Fucking hell the ship fights are one of the most garbage gameplay mechanics ever conceived. It literally ruins my already garbage mood playing the game. I'm done with the game, there is nothing interesting to see. GOnna rush main quest and move on. Horrible game.

EDMIX

Fucking hell the ship fights are one of the most garbage gameplay mechanics ever conceived. It literally ruins my already garbage mood playing the game. I'm done with the game, there is nothing interesting to see. GOnna rush main quest and move on. Horrible game.

Whats crazy, is the fucking game is called STARfield you would think the focus would be on those ideas and concepts they can't do on Earth, instead...it feels like they tried to force Fallout to just be in space and just tacked on the idea of space or something.

Fallout can be "elder scrolls" in a different setting as after all...they are on Earth.

Starfield on the other hand CAN'T be "fAlLoUtz" in space, too many elements must be crated to fit this concept that they can't just try to use those same concepts, the game must have a gameplay focus on areas that do no exist in Fallout or Elder Scrolls, we are willing to accept that shit to a fucking degree lol

I'll probably get into it and have a more formal impression of the game once I'm done with it in a month or 2 based on all the work and school I have currently.

I love their games, but I worry about some of the things they got wrong on this one.

Top Bottom