• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I’m sure they are both nice guys, but my natural emotion is one of repulsion to Greenburg, and Spencer just exudes smugness. On balance, Jim annoys the fuck out of me as well 😂
Yeah I agree but nothing can go lower than Aaron...Let me rephrase nobody with a great position in a company can go lower than aaron , since we had our fair share of crazy people here ( SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage M misterxmedia were insane).

I agree, but even so I’m not sure there’s anything else I would call a system seller over the next year at least.

Forza - Good but somewhat niche
Hellblade 2 - Maybe but we first need to see that the studio can make that 90+ metascore game that sells systems.
Towerborne - lol
Avowed - Not seeing much hype for this atm.

Still, it’s a huge improvement from the last 18 months.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

All signs point to them starting with a headshot so far.

Day Valentine GIF

Headshot, boom!

I jest, I'm pretty excited for Starfield, I know a couple of younguns that have bought Xboxes just to play it.

A game that was going to come to Xbox anyway as a multiplatform game, was bought to remove it from the competition, and that's somehow a starting gun for XGS's resurrection?

50 cent laughing GIF

It's embarrassing.

MGS will continue shitting the bed with their core FP IP (because nothing has been done to rectify the systemic issues within the FP publisher), and all the newly bought studios will be the ones left carrying the reputational burden for Xbox First-Party for the whole platform (until MS fucks them up too).

Bond007

Doubt it- been saying this for years.
I thought the last big disappointment was the starting gun.

Starfield looks good though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just checked out that Towerborne trailer. Don’t care if it’s not a huge seller, I’m down with a sharp looking Guardian Heroes style game.

Ozriel

M$FT
God Xbox execs say dumb shit 🤣

So nothing till now MS felt was quality and every game going forward is going to reach starfield levels 🤣

I feel like they all need interview coaches like sports athletes have

…or you galaxy brain folks coulf stop taking quotes out of context to complain about ?

‘Starting gun of a prolonged, regular stream of first party games’ isn’t the same thing as ‘starting gun for first party games’

Drell

Pretty sad that a trillion company that is in the business of game consoles since 2001 (and is in the video game business since longer) can't keep a franchise running and always has to start over. Oh and they always start by "stealing" multisupport things btw.

Ozriel

M$FT
Pretty sad that a trillion company that is in the business of game consoles since 2001 (and is in the video game business since longer) can't keep a franchise running and always has to start over. Oh and they always start by "stealing" multisupport things btw.

They can’t keep a franchise running yet they literally released an Age of Empires game for Xbox and have a Forza game lined up for October.

Sad you had to make up the bit about ‘starting over’

Drell

They can’t keep a franchise running yet they literally released an Age of Empires game for Xbox and have a Forza game lined up for October.

Sad you had to make up the bit about ‘starting over’
Yeah maybe not starting over but they still need to market the fact they are making "first party" (stolen multiplats) games. Like it's something incredible but then you look at the competition and you just realize they autocongratulate themselves for doing something that is just usual for the 2 others...

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah maybe not starting over but they still need to market the fact they are making "first party" (stolen multiplats) games. Like it's something incredible but then you look at the competition and you just realize they autocongratulate themselves for doing something that is just usual for the 2 others...

What does ‘stolen games’ even mean?

And where do you see the ‘auto-congratulation’? A marketing exec can’t tell the world they’ve hit their stride with respect to regular releases now?

Adam_802

Well yeah, that's what they should be doing. If Starfield and Forza this holiday can be the start of consistent Xbox 1P exclusives then they can easily start gaining momentum and build up a great library like they already once did on the 360.

Vox Machina

Banned

And where do you see the ‘auto-congratulation’? A marketing exec can’t tell the world they’ve hit their stride with respect to regular releases now?

Don't you know? Microsoft sneaks into your house at night and uninstalls all your games from your Steam library.

Sneaking Out Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes

Does it really count as a first party game

Yep

Last edited:
There should be a meme for every time some new Xbox verbage gets introduced and ends up biting them in the ass in the end. Like "high fidelity vr" "eats monsters for breakfast", etc . . now "starting gun"

Drell

It's just that it look pretty ridiculous to brag about releasing "first party games" (bought third party studio/games if the term "stolen" makes you uncomfortable) when your competitors have been creating first party games since forever.

danklord

Gold Member
Nope. As others have called out, this game was in production long before Xbox bought Bethesda and was threatening to be a PS Exclusive.

Once the new version of Microsoft Studios takes a AAA game that isn't Forza all the way to release and it scores 9+, we can have this conversation.

Last edited:

Del_X

Nope. As others have called out, this game was in production long before Xbox bought Bethesda and was threatening to be a PS Exclusive.

Once the new version of Microsoft Studios takes a AAA game that isn't Forza all the way to release and it scores 9+, we can have this conversation.
“It doesn’t count for arbitrary reasons I don’t like”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's just that it look pretty ridiculous to brag about releasing "first party games" (bought third party studio/games if the term "stolen" makes you uncomfortable) when your competitors have been creating first party games since forever.

This faux stolen-valor nonsense will never get old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The acquisition happened 3 years ago, the game was going to be pushed out circa 2021, the developers were given 2 years of additional dev time along with pretty much all of the first party resources and QA they would need over the development years.

Punished Miku Punished Miku your prediction is becoming more accurate with each passing day, lol.

Top Bottom