• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I'm getting around 45-50 fps @ 2160p on a 6750xt/ 5600x on high settings more or less.

Game looks decent.

edit: I used the 'quality' settings this

The recommended HUB settings for this video are perfect for my 3080. Allows me to do 67% scaling, these settings, 4k, and net above 60 FPS 90% of the time. As it should be. Game looks a lot better than just flat all medium settings I was doing before.

Great stuff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The recommended HUB settings for this video are perfect for my 3080. Allows me to do 67% scaling, these settings, 4k, and net above 60 FPS 90% of the time. As it should be. Game looks a lot better than just flat all medium settings I was doing before.

Great stuff.
I am glad these settings worked out for you.

I have been sticking with High for everything and while i do have drops below 50, my gsync LGCX keeps it from feeling too choppy.

I took a couple of benchmarks in high stress areas like Atlantis and an indoor area with lots of NPCs. I love my CPU. every area seems to be GPU bottlenecked despite the high CPU requirements. Thank god I bought this thing over the AMD 3700x that was being recommended by all of these PC youtubers because of its lower wattage and cooling requirements. I had a horrendous time trying to keep this CPU cool, but all that work paid off. This thing is a beast.

yamaci17

I am glad these settings worked out for you.

I have been sticking with High for everything and while i do have drops below 50, my gsync LGCX keeps it from feeling too choppy.

I took a couple of benchmarks in high stress areas like Atlantis and an indoor area with lots of NPCs. I love my CPU. every area seems to be GPU bottlenecked despite the high CPU requirements. Thank god I bought this thing over the AMD 3700x that was being recommended by all of these PC youtubers because of its lower wattage and cooling requirements. I had a horrendous time trying to keep this CPU cool, but all that work paid off. This thing is a beast.

u dodged a bullet. zen 2 and below aged horridly. these devs dont give a single care to multi ccx latency.

Last edited:

raduque

Welp. I'm gonna give it a try on Tuesday, but ...

Ryzen 3600
64gb DDR4-3200
RTX 2080

My system is going to have a bad time.

Wpx

Neo Member
Can you mod and edit the gamepass version on pic just as much as the steam version? I’ve seen conflicting comments on this

MikeM

Ryzen 3600
64gb DDR4-3200
RTX 2080

Kevin Bacon Good Luck GIF by PeacockTV

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Ryzen 3600
64gb DDR4-3200
RTX 2080

I seem able to play this ok at 50-60% 1440p FSR2 (so, ~1080p?) with medium-ish settings on my aging PC (3770K, GTX 1080). It crashed (I think the whole GPU driver and stuff) at the very first pirate outpost I explored past the first take off though, hopefully that was just a fluke.

I locked it to 30fps for consistency, hopefully it doesn't go to shit when I reach a decent city. I'd think your PC can reach 60 at sensible settings (or if not maintain that then at least ~45 which is much smoother than 30).

The game looks leaps and bounds better than Skyrim, that's for sure. Space isn't dedicated space game quality but still better than I expected from a Bethesda RPG. Controls and menus could be better again, oh well.

Combat feels ok but followers no better than previous games (AI doesn't react to them until they are aware of the player etc. but that's ok since they're dumbasses that would mess you up if you are going for stealth).

Last edited:

twilo99

Isn't it a bit odd to compare games that have been out for a while and have received numerous patches to a game in early access?

Yeah, I thought about that as well but isn’t Bethesda notorious for releasing a game and never touching it again? Maybe it will be different under Phil but I doubt it

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
New Intel drivers fix half the issues with the game.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

Fixed Issues
Intel® Arc™ Graphics Products:
  • Starfield (DX12) Game load duration is significantly reduced.
  • Starfield (DX12) may experience instability and application crash while launching and during gameplay.
  • Starfield (DX12) may exhibit texture corruptions and scene flickers during gameplay.
Known Issues
Intel® Arc™ Graphics Products:
  • Starfield (DX12) may experience application instability in some areas of the game.
  • Starfield (DX12) may exhibit corruption when using Dynamic Resolution Scaling. A workaround is to change the Render Resolution Scale slider value.
  • Starfield (DX12) may exhibit texture flickering on light sources during gameplay.
  • Starfield (DX12) may exhibit low texture details on certain objects in the game.

I'm not saying it doesn't have issues as PC hardware is vast but I've been using the DLSS3 mod for 7 or 8 hours now and it's not skipped a beat. People are apparently instantly crashing when using a zoomed scope but I sat there for a few minutes rapidly zooming in and out and it was no problem - I even have it on in menus which is apparently crashing people on loading screens and again no problem.

Still running around at 120-138fps and if input latency is worse than native it's imperceptible.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/595 - Using this too which does make the best looking parts of the game look worse (the clinical looking indoor bits) but makes some of the worst looking bits look way better (caves and other dark places) - A good trade-off for me personally as this game has very uneven visuals but it will always be hard to get everything looking right when the colour of scenes is changed using filters rather than RT.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/595 - Using this too which does make the best looking parts of the game look worse (the clinical looking indoor bits) but makes some of the worst looking bits look way better (caves and other dark places) - A good trade-off for me personally as this game has very uneven visuals but it will always be hard to get everything looking right when the colour of scenes is changed using filters rather than RT.
This mod is great, especially the "Luma" variant, it keeps the intended color grading but has the contrasts of the Neutral LUTs.
That's way better than Neutral.

I'm in New Atlantis and getting ~40fps @1440p, optimized settings with the DLSS mod:

-3080 GPU at 70% usage
-Ryzen 5 5600X at 70-80% usage
-DDR4 RAM at 13/16GB

I've heard New Atlantis is CPU bound, but I'm not maxing out. Anything someone knows I can do? Seems like my PC isn't using all it could be.

Last edited:

Bojji

I'm in New Atlantis and getting ~40fps @1440p, optimized settings with the DLSS mod:

-3080 GPU at 70% usage
-DDR4 RAM at 13/16GB

I've heard New Atlantis is CPU bound, but I'm not maxing out. Anything someone knows I can do? Seems like my PC isn't using all it could be.

You can see CPU bottleneck by looking at GPU usage, if it's lower than 95% then something is wrong (when not vsynced and without frame limits). CPU doesn't have to be maxed out at all.

Far cry games for example are super CPU limited but they only max out one core. New games are mostly poor at actually using CPU resources, single core IPC is bottlenecking them.

-3080 GPU at 70% usage
-DDR4 RAM at 13/16GB

I wouldnt worry too much about your PC specs. The creation engine is a piece of turd that doesnt scale well with hardware and its not even well optimized. Starfield is probably pushing its limits with it so many users may have different outcomes, depending on population count, how long they played, etc. Just boot up Fallout 4 on that modern PC and go to the General Atomics Factory for example and you'll see your framerate tank. Even on migh 4070TI that place would drop to 40s. Most demading setting for their engine are the shadows. Put those on low or medium and see a huge FPS boost.

Just look at the performance increase with shadows. Absolute massive bullshittery. The visual difference isnt that huge either from the video. That along with if you have the population to max, it can probably impact the fps even more, more npc's more shadows=lower fps. Yeah, shitty engine. Thank Bethesda.

WOIsTUs.jpg

Last edited:

Mercador

Ryzen 5 7600
32gb DDR5 @ base clock (4800mhz) - I should try 6000mhz now
2Tb nvme Gen4

I run it all at high at 4K at 60fps on my TV. I got some dips in New Atlantis, nothing major.

I wouldnt worry too much about your PC specs. The creation engine is a piece of turd that doesnt scale well with hardware and its not even well optimized. Starfield is probably pushing its limits with it so many users may have different outcomes, depending on population count, how long they played, etc. Just boot up Fallout 4 on that modern PC and go to the General Atomics Factory for example and you'll see your framerate tank. Even on migh 4070TI that place would drop to 40s. Most demading setting for their engine are the shadows. Put those on low or medium and see a huge FPS boost.

Just look at the performance increase with shadows. Absolute massive bullshittery. The visual difference isnt that huge either from the video. That along with if you have the population to max, it can probably impact the fps even more, more npc's more shadows=lower fps. Yeah, shitty engine. Thank Bethesda.

WOIsTUs.jpg
You can see CPU bottleneck by looking at GPU usage, if it's lower than 95% then something is wrong (when not vsynced and without frame limits). CPU doesn't have to be maxed out at all.

Far cry games for example are super CPU limited but they only max out one core. New games are mostly poor at actually using CPU resources, single core IPC is bottlenecking them.
Thanks, fellows.

Regarding shadows, I think I prefer the fuzzy outline of the "low" setting to the razor-sharp "ultra", so no big loss there.

Regarding CPU bottleneck, I thought an indicator would be your CPU maxed and GPU low. So I learned something today.

Guys I'm not a PC gamer but have a entry level gaming laptop, do you think I could get 60fps in 1080p with this?

ASUS TUF DASH F15 (FX516PC-HN070)

Intel® Core™ i5-11300H Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (2x8GB)
512GB M.2 SSD

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
Ok, HUGE thing here, and an obvious one.

Download Nvidia Profile Inspector > Find Starfield on Game Selector Drop Down List > Force Enable ReBAR for Starfield > Massive Performance Upgrade for free!

VBGxXV0.png

Here's a tutorial video on how to use Nvidia Profile Inspector:

On my Intel i9 9900K / RTX 4090 / 64Gb DDR4-3600 CL16 / 2TB nvme SSD

It's running almost perfectly everywhere, at 4K Native/Ultra Settings + No Upscaling + No VRS + No FSR2 or DLSS3/2 Mods

Got about 20% more performance everywhere, it's a game changer. Massively reduces the slow downs in cities, not completely gone, but no where near as bad/frequent or off putting. Outside of cities rock solid 60 or above everywhere.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

-3080 GPU at 70% usage
-DDR4 RAM at 13/16GB

Look at my video above. Same GPU, better CPU. My GPU usage is 97-99% in Atlantis.

Your CPU is at 70-80% usage which is basically maxing out. Most games top out at 20%. Very few games ever go above 40%.

The first upgrade I would make is a better CPU. Then RAM to 32 GB. More RAM wont help here but it made a major difference in hogwarts. be sure to buy a brand new 32 GB stack. you dont want to mix and match even if you manage to find yourself the same exact model.

Guys I'm not a PC gamer but have a entry level gaming laptop, do you think I could get 60fps in 1080p with this?

ASUS TUF DASH F15 (FX516PC-HN070)

Intel® Core™ i5-11300H Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (2x8GB)
512GB M.2 SSD
Nope.

Maybe 720p 60 fps upscaled from 480p.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oh bother. Well that sucks.
I was running with the frame rate limiter enabled and without the 'disable in menu' option on. Last night I tried with the 'disable in menu' option on, and the limiter set to default/0 and I didn't have a crash in 3hrs of play. The 'disable in menu' option does cause a momentary stutter upon fast travel arrival, but I just started waiting 1sec before moving so I don't notice it. Just wanted to update you.

tldr: It might have been the in-menu frame rate limiter that caused crashing, or my setup needed that disable in menu option on.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Download Nvidia Profile Inspector > Find Starfield on Game Selector Drop Down List > Force Enable ReBAR for Starfield > Massive Performance Upgrade for free!

VBGxXV0.png

It's running almost perfectly everywhere, at 4K Native/Ultra Settings + No Upscaling + No VRS + No FSR2 or DLSS3/2 Mods

Got about 20% more performance everywhere, it's a game changer. Massively reduces the slow downs in cities, not completely gone, but no where near as bad/frequent or off putting. Outside of cities rock solid 60 or above everywhere.

I tested an area in New Atlantis with FSR2 off, vrs off, med/high settings mix and I went from 41fps to 47fps after using the Profile Inspector settings. A 14% increase. That's pretty fucking good. Appreciate the info!

Last edited:

VBGxXV0.png

You Sir deserve a medal for this. Appreciate the heads up. Definitely trying this.

Gotta squeeze every bit of performance out of my rig.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2 questions:

1: Is dlss ever going to be supported by nvidia/Bethesda or is that officially dead?

2: I may have missed the summary, but what's the bottom line on dlss on a 4070.....can it then magically do 4k 60 consistantly?

amigastar

2 questions:

1: Is dlss ever going to be supported by nvidia/Bethesda or is that officially dead?

2: I may have missed the summary, but what's the bottom line on dlss on a 4070.....can it then magically do 4k 60 consistantly?
1. Do you mean DLSS support for Starfield?
2. No it can not magically do 4K 60 actually a 4070 is best for 1440p, 4k would be a little bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Best vs Best

Fucking hell, Star Citizen runs better than this at ultra setting 4k on same rigs and has a lot more going on sim wise and is one of the engine known to be single threaded limited because, far as i know, vulkan API was not implemented yet or not fully in? Can't bother to find if its in but anyway, Starfield runs like dog shit basically.

Fucking hell, Star Citizen runs better than this at ultra setting 4k on same rigs and has a lot more going on sim wise and is one of the engine known to be single threaded limited because, far as i know, vulkan API was not implemented yet or not fully in? Can't bother to find if its in but anyway, Starfield runs like dog shit basically.
Why are we comparing performance from a game that has been in early access since 2014 (nearly a decade now) to a game that has been available to the public for less than a week?

So I'm reading that the dlss 2 (or whatever tf it's called now) is better for IQ than the default fsr. Doesn't that mean I could install the dlss mod and lower the scaling to match the IQ im getting with fsr and in turn get higher frames? Sorry if that's a hard to understand question.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
1. Do you mean DLSS support for Starfield?
2. No it can not magically do 4K 60 actually a 4070 is best for 1440p, 4k would be a little bit of a stretch.

Well ya, wondering what other game would I be asking about in the starfield performance thread made by Bethesda?

As to 2, is that based on some observation or benchmark of the game with dlss 3.5 turned on?

Last edited:
So I'm reading that the dlss 2 (or whatever tf it's called now) is better for IQ than the default fsr. Doesn't that mean I could install the dlss mod and lower the scaling to match the IQ im getting with fsr and in turn get higher frames? Sorry if that's a hard to understand question.
100% you can and I did. DLSS puts FSR to shame both in image quality and the performance increase you get. That free DLSS mod on Nexus was a game-changer.

Buggy Loop

Why are we comparing performance from a game that has been in early access since 2014 (nearly a decade now) to a game that has been available to the public for less than a week?

Why?

Are you making the case that the new game that isn't stuck on old engines should be running on such concepts as what's present on new consoles, such as multi-threading at the very least?

Imagine that 2014 engine, basically tuned CryEngine 3 made in a time where single thread was king, has 64bit world space coordinates (10000000000000 km^3, only game i know who does this), mega map, local physic grids, procedurally generated planets, persistence (the only advantage bethesda engines have over other RPGs) and even though they haven't tuned the engine for multithreading and vulkan API as far as i'm aware (yet), it still runs better than Bethesda's instancing full of loading screens worlds and jpeg planets. Starfield should definitely win a prize for the worst engine pick for a space backdrop, talk about a badly shod cobbler.

For $400M cost to make Starfield, Star citizen's cost so far for the MMO + Squadron doesn't seem as much as a fleecing as Bethesda did to Microsoft.

They're world apart in tech

Don't get me wrong, Star Citizen single player is god knows when. But for the budget and ressources Bethesda had for this game, it's mind boggling to run worse than one of the toughest most complex space simulator running on a fucking old engine.

eNT1TY

Why?

Are you making the case that the new game that isn't stuck on old engines should be running on such concepts as what's present on new consoles, such as multi-threading at the very least?

Imagine that 2014 engine, basically tuned CryEngine 3 made in a time where single thread was king, has 64bit world space coordinates (10000000000000 km^3, only game i know who does this), mega map, local physic grids, procedurally generated planets, persistence (the only advantage bethesda engines have over other RPGs) and even though they haven't tuned the engine for multithreading and vulkan API as far as i'm aware (yet), it still runs better than Bethesda's instancing full of loading screens worlds and jpeg planets. Starfield should definitely win a prize for the worst engine pick for a space backdrop, talk about a badly shod cobbler.

For $400M cost to make Starfield, Star citizen's cost so far for the MMO + Squadron doesn't seem as much as a fleecing as Bethesda did to Microsoft.

They're world apart in tech

Don't get me wrong, Star Citizen single player is god knows when. But for the budget and ressources Bethesda had for this game, it's mind boggling to run worse than one of the toughest most complex space simulator running on a fucking old engine.

Starcitizen footage always looks nice, cant wait to stream it on gamepass xcloud in 5 years while it competes with a mature Starfield modding community.

Justin9mm

Can anyone please tell me what I can expect playing @1440p on my 7700X + 3080 + 32GB RAM rig? Hoping for solid 60fps on Med-High settings.

Last edited:

Grechy34

Probably going to struggle. My main workhorse is a 2080Ti/16GB Ram/8700K. Unfortunately in today's financial climate I am not upgrading anytime soon, haha.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Ok, so we're at the point where we're defending Star Citizen in order to attack Starfield. I feel bad I forgot to wave goodbye to reality as we floated past it...

And we're at the point of defending a $400M budget game owned by a trillion dollar company because? What's with the defense of this game. They deserve a bit of shaming for the way it performs for the way it looks and what it does technology wise.

ZehDon

Gold Member
And we're at the point of defending a $400M budget game owned by a trillion dollar company because?...
The budget was apparently just over USD$200m, so given that's seemingly your sole justification, you'll halve the strength of your criticism, correct? As for "defending", you're posting non-sense and you're getting pushback. Did you expect to shit post without pushback? If you're not happy, post less non-sense.
... They deserve a bit of shaming for the way it performs for the way it looks and what it does technology wise.
It definitely underperforms - especially on NVidia hardware - but graphics and tech seem acceptable, given the RPG nature and scale of the game. You're struggling to describe anything that "deserves a bit of shaming".

Top Bottom