• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

baekshi

Banned
No, it's obvious that Starhawk is a spiritual successor to Warhawk. The two games share tons of similarities (the names being the most obvious). If this game was truly meant to be removed from Warhawk, the developers wouldn't be looking for feedback from Warhawk vets and pros. I'm just bummed at the direction the developers chose to take the franchise.

The air combat feels entirely different. It doesn't have the same feeling like Warhawk did. IMO, Warhawk did it better.

woolley

With the new downloading restrictions will I be able to redownload the beta off of my account onto another PS3?

dorkimoe

I think the ground combat is a lot better than in Warhawk. The build and battle stuff is pretty cool too, the beam gun is a really useful addition.

After a couple of games, my main gripe with the game is with the HUD. Give us a health bar instead of the jam filter, especially in the hawks where there's no health regen.

No health bar? Hmm

So does it play A LOT different than warhawk? cuz warhawk was pretty much perfect imo

darkwing

wow this game isn't Warhawk, but it's still fun to me, and it looks good, SMS should help all PS3 developers lol

I wish they would lengthen the gametime it's too short

and people should stop building duplicate manufacturing buildings if they are near, you can just buy the units on someone else's building

Zoibie

No health bar? Hmm

So does it play A LOT different than warhawk? cuz warhawk was pretty much perfect imo

It is pretty different and there are some frustrating parts to the combat but I'm not sure how much of that is bad gameplay or just the learning curve. It's like playing Warhawk for the first time, being overwhelmed by choice, only this time you kind of know what most of things do already but you still have to relearn things since everything is a little different.

Also they need to make the weapon pickups stand out more. Everything's brown so I usually run straight passed them.

So playing by myself... how do I score? I want more points to test out the starhawk.

Without having played a game yet, I can say that I'm very disappointed by the lack of vehicles. Not sure I'll ever fully accept build and battle as the only means of creating "life" on the battlefield.

darkwing

So playing by myself... how do I score? I want more points to test out the starhawk.

Without having played a game yet, I can say that I'm very disappointed by the lack of vehicles. Not sure I'll ever fully accept build and battle as the only means of creating "life" on the battlefield.

see that bar on the upper right? Hold triangle to see choices

I want this game sooooo much! I'm liking what I'm hearing from most of these impresssions, stuff that I figured they would change, but I'm a bit worried about the Starhawks. There needs to be more keys on other sites!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
DL'ed the Beta, Installed it, Log In, Accept TOS, get message "Starhawk Updated, Restart Game", I'm like WTF!?! when my screen went black, scared me shitless lol

slider

DL'ed the Beta, Installed it, Log In, Accept TOS, get message "Starhawk Updated, Restart Game", I'm like WTF!?!when my screen went black, scared me shitless lol

Surprised me the first time too!

I need to give this more attention. Played it twice for short bursts and I'm not sure I've even begun to comprehend how to play.

see that bar on the upper right? Hold triangle to see choices
But by myself, I have 3 by default. Starhawk costs 6. Can't try out a starhawk until I get more points. The game won't even let me return a flag when playing by myself. Is there a secret handshake I need to perform with another player to score a flag capture?

I just want to try out a starhawk. I made a jeep, drove it and got stuck, and made my way back to the jeep builder and couldn't make another. This game is not meant for 1 on 1 with a friend that's for fucking sure. Wish build and battle was a seperate mode.

Zoibie

But by myself, I have 3 by default. Starhawk costs 6. Can't try out a starhawk until I get more points. The game won't even let me return a flag when playing by myself. Is there a secret handshake I need to perform with another player to score a flag capture?

I just want to try out a starhawk. I made a jeep, drove it and got stuck, and made my way back to the jeep builder and couldn't make another. This game is not meant for 1 on 1 with a friend that's for fucking sure. Wish build and battle was a seperate mode.

If I understand it correctly, you should keep getting points if you stay within the base. You can also shoot those barrels to get some extra.

GraveRobberX

If I understand it correctly, you should keep getting points if you stay within the base. You can also shoot those barrels to get some extra.

With-In in your base is a mine depot, think StarCraft Resource Management

Stay by it and the first 2-3 bars will fill up quickly, after that it will get slower and slower to fill up

To get to 6 with-out killing anyone takes 3-5+ minutes

Best is to get and build walls and turrets to protect the flag/surrounding area, the "mine" till you feel you're good, get 3 and try to move up and hopefully earn more

Only thing I'm hating is that I was shooting a dude and he kept running at me, then just melee'd me and killed me, the f?
Got my revenge the same way though

GodofWine

Play the game?

Anyway, my first five minute impression is overwhelmingly positive.

1 - Looks great, visuals are excellent
2 - Aiming feels good, in pre-beta even...Im was getting used to devs shipping input lag riddled stuff..
3- 'Hawks fly fine to me, feel powerful as long as you line up a target...also powerful on the ground.
4- Psyched for this one

...In this thread, people b*tch about a game thats not finished being tweaked...by the looks of it, they are tweaking things A LOT.

This feels LIKE warhawk, but its definitely its own game, I like what I see here.

GraveRobberX

So fucking close, so so so f'n close from dropping a supply depot on Enemy Warhawk Mech, he transormed and ran just as my shit landed ; ;

Fucker

Got him by bombarding 3 grenades in succession at his chassis, Boom +250 Get!

I'm liking this Build @ your disposal, I keep building walls to defense up our area and turrets on my walls, feels bad ass
Almost Bob The Builder Rambo Style

That 8 resource blocks worth monstrosity bubble shield, that shit locks down your fort, Amazing! when it's up
Still trying to get that laser cannon thingy but the resource blocks are like 6, jesus, but they hurt the shit out of Warhawks when they pass by

First match imppression:

+ Looks really good. Slight alaising of mid/nearby textures, but it's very detailed, smooth, everything just looks great

+ Played great. I have very little idea how must buildings work but its easy to set them up, easy target enemies, fun and fast to fun around.

- Like I said, it's very confusing. Lots of new guns, new stuff.

- Warhawk in mech form seems weak.

OMG, can't wrtite anymore, gotta play more. Soooooooooooo Gooooooooooood.

So far, meh. Want to like it since I loved warhawk. I have no idea how people are getting more weapons and jetpacks. I roamed around levels by myself and couldn't even figure out what was a capturable base and what was just industrial space filler. Then the actual game kicks my ass because I'm still not aware. Frustrated since I expected to at least have some fun thinking this was warhawk with a twist. Why is it so hard to tell what is what on screen? Oh that rectangle that matches that barrier is a weapon pickup? That barely visible hologram is... something?

It's funny because I managed to pick up a pistol looking gun and when I tried firing it, it just sparked hahahaha. Man, this game is trolling me.

OMG that space level is awesome! If you fall out of the main playing area you burn up in the atmosphere! Not to sound like a raving lunatic but this is fucking awesome!

It's funny because I managed to pick up a pistol looking gun and when I tried firing it, it just sparked hahahaha. Man, this game is trolling me.

thats a vehicle repair gun.

Bollocks

I think this will be my online game of choice 2012.
I played the shit out of MAG cause I loved that it was more complex than your average shooter and this just looks like it's facing in the same direction, never played Warhawk though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, people sure do love to melee. :| Hopefully the speed up the ADS controls (they're slower than normal cam) to better combat this.

So I will eat crow. Game is awesome. Takes a bit of getting use to butonce you realize its not Warhawk and to not play as if it were Wathawk the game opens up. The Starhawks aren't as powerful as the warhawks but they will do. This is really going to be more team oriented IMO than Warhawk. Definitely awesome.

Gonna call it a night. I'm very impressed with how it turned out. The controls feel like Warhawk, the building system works incredible well, everything feels really well balanced. I think my only complaints right now would be the controls feel a little laggy, not enough weapons, that stupid bubble shield, it would be nice if you could expend points to repair buildings, and the wall is the only thing I've seen so far that can be "upgraded". Oh and the map needs improving, it's a bit tough to see where certain buildings are. And I'd like it if you could zoom the camera out a bit. So I guess there are quite a few problems still. But man it feels great, I'll be playing all day tomorrow for sure.

risk

Got a code for it in my email too, FORTUNATELY I'm not interested in this game.

First to PM me can have it

edit: taken!

Top Bottom