• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlink |OT| Internet to the Stars

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
YDj2N75.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF Starlink |OT|. Here we can talk about all things Starlink - satellite launches, personal experiences, related tech news, industry implications, and more.

What is Starlink?
Starlink is a satellite internet service created by SpaceX. The goal is to use satellites that are much closer to the Earth than traditional (geosynchronous) satellites, that will provide connections at faster speed and much lower latency.

Satellite Tracking
There are many projects that track the current location of Starlink satellites.

How fast is it?
Starlink's current ongoing beta boasts speeds from 50Mbps to 150Mbps, with some customers reporting over 200Mbps. Uplink speeds are typically slower, but still achieve between 5Mbps to 35Mbps. As more satellites are launched and as the technology improves, speeds are projected to increase. The current goal (which is likely for business clients) is a maximum of throughput of 10Gbps.

What's Included?
Beta hardware has been going out to select invitees, and includes the dish itself along with a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter and a Starlink branded router.

How much does it cost?
The satellite dish kit is $500 (+$50 shipping), and the service is currently $99 per month.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
more pollution in the sky,
Not sure if joking or not...

These satellites are put into naturally decaying orbits. If for whatever reason SpaceX goes out of business and/or these sats go unmaintained for whatever reason, they will simply burn up in the Earth's atmosphere within a matter of years. Each sat is equipped with ion thrusters for maneuvering, so they could even be manually (naturally) destroyed as well. This is a massive improvement over simply launching satellites into geosynchronous orbit thousands of miles up with no plan whatsoever to decommission them in the future.

If you're talking about light pollution, after the first launch in 2019 SpaceX started coating the underside of each satellite with non-reflective materials that eliminates reflectivity to the naked eye so that we don't have thousands of "new stars" in the sky at night.

jshackles

My Starlink dish shipped today, and tracking it online says it'll arrive tomorrow.

I'll post my impressions and whatnot when I hook it up this weekend.

Top Bottom