• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starr Mazer composer issues YouTube copyright takedowns on videos with her music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's like this Alex person saw what digital homicide did and was like, "I can do even worst"

Honestly, this isn't comparable at all. Digital Homicide never had anything going for them. Alex actually is pretty damn good at what she does so it's a case of burning everything down.

Gattsu25

Banned
Now reading up on this and it's pretty wild the events that have transpired.

Glad to hear that she is getting help and I hope this ends well for all involved parties.

Nick_C

Honestly, this isn't comparable at all. Digital Homicide never had anything going for them. Alex actually is pretty damn good at what she does so it's a case of burning everything down.

Yeah. Alex is incredibly talented, and the content she puts out is pretty great. Obviously we all have different taste in music, but I genuinely enjoy her tracks. DigiHom, on the other had, could barely stitch together some pre-bought assets and turn around and sell them. Hell, even their lawsuits were throwing what they could at people and hoping something would stick.

DigiHom were always trying to get rich with as little effort as possible whereas Alex seems to not fully grasp how copyright works, while also needing to work through some personal issues. I wish Alex all the best outside the courtroom, but the Romines get no sympathy from me.

Patchy

Banned
She is right back to issuing threats and DMCA take downs after leaving involuntary mental health observation.

Leonard needs to get an injunction to stop this.

Steroyd

She is right back to issuing threats and DMCA take downs after leaving voluntary mental health observation.

Leonard needs to get an injunction to stop this.

It was involuntary.

https://youtu.be/OnLZVmMLM3M

According to Musical Anti-Hero

https://youtu.be/1A14W0fGcnA

A family member issued the involuntary psychiatric help, they deemed her sane and released her, now she's cut off her family, and she's poking a hornets nest that is going to crush her like a bug.

And apparently she's going to RE-DMCA the video's that are going to come back up, get the fuck out if she can do that. Youtube needs to get a grip if that's a thing.

We all know Youtube ain't gonna do damn thing. Sure they will reverse the copyright strikes for those affected, but the system will remain the same, just as exploitable as ever.

Youtube is as responsible as she is for allowing this whole mess to happen in the first place.

This is the kind of "civilised" world we live in now. Mentally disturbed people, even "getting help" at a mental hospital that apparently we pay taxes for did nothing to help, goes right back to breaking laws as if nothing happened. YouTube doesn't care, the law process takes too long for damages already happening to be recovered, and it's likely that the consequences for Mauer will be just a slap on the wrist.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is the kind of "civilised" world we live in now. Mentally disturbed people, even "getting help" at a mental hospital that apparently we pay taxes for did nothing to help, goes right back to breaking laws as if nothing happened. YouTube doesn't care, the law process takes too long for damages already happening to be recovered, and it's likely that the consequences for Mauer will be just a slap on the wrist.

Went through that will my brother, over a 10 year period. Our mental health system is a joke, in the US. The hospitals would constantly release him within a few days, during a psychotic episode. It took him going on a literal rampage, before he was sentenced by judge to 3 years in a mental hospital. The prosecutor didn't give a fuck about his diagnosis, and wanted to give him 5 years in prison.

Here we are 1.5 years later, and he's more healthy than he's ever been. It's amazing.

But why did it have to go this far, for him to get real help? It's doubly worse in my eyes, as he's a military vet. Don't get me started on how worthless and disgusting the VA is. Soldiers come back with mental health problems, and they just don't give a fuck.

I really hope she gets the help she needs, before she ends up in a situation like my brother. But maybe court mandated treatment would be for the best

HonMirin

Update:

Alex has had her own YouTube channel suspended after multiple DMCA take downs on her videos.

Really? Did she flag her own videos by accident?
I'm sure this was a vengeance thing from folks wanting to stick it to her.

When I saw the update video this morning I was like "oh no, this is not going to end well." She isn't well. It's clear to see and she is going to get worse. Some people out there are not understanding of mental health issues and will push to make an example of her actions, with no regard to the effect on her.

Also YouTube has to see this system is severely messed up and open to abuse, and must do something about it. Other people/businesses are watching this unfold and will see this is something they can use to their advantage.

I'm sure this was a vengeance thing from folks wanting to stick it to her.

When I saw the update video this morning I was like "oh no, this is not going to end well." She isn't well. It's clear to see and she is going to get worse. Some people out there are not understanding of mental health issues and will push to make an example of her actions, with no regard to the effect on her.

Also YouTube has to see this system is severely messed up and open to abuse, and must do something about it. Other people/businesses are watching this unfold and will see this is something they can use to their advantage.

This entire situation went from super screwed up to what the bloody hell is even happening anymore. I don't think people should be playing the same game as she has with the DMCA takedown madness it just drops everyone into the "they are all the same" category. Youtube has to figure out someway to fix this mess as the last few weeks shows what sticking ones head in the sand does. What is the fix? I have no clue but this entire situation sucks for all parties involved.

Steroyd

Update:

Alex has had her own YouTube channel suspended after multiple DMCA take downs on her videos.

Fucking hell, the worse part is this is going to fuel her own conspiracy that everyone is against her.

This entire situation went from super screwed up to what the bloody hell is even happening anymore. I don't think people should be playing the same game as she has with the DMCA takedown madness it just drops everyone into the "they are all the same" category. Youtube has to figure out someway to fix this mess as the last few weeks shows what sticking ones head in the sand does. What is the fix? I have no clue but this entire situation sucks for all parties involved.

Have proof you own the copyright, now idea how it works but I'm sure you'd be assigned a copyright ID number when you file for a trademark add that onto the DMCA form it cross checks all the information matches then you get a tick or a cross saying the copyright is registered to these details on the form, and then grants you the ability to send a DMCA.

Then again if the copyright was so easy to look up this way there'd be less of a dispute as to whether Alex owns the copyright or not by the internet detectives.

Borman

Fucking hell, the worse part is this is going to fuel her own conspiracy that everyone is against her.

Have proof you own the copyright, now idea how it works but I'm sure you'd be assigned a copyright ID number when you file for a trademark add that onto the DMCA form it cross checks all the information matches then you get a tick or a cross saying the copyright is registered to these details on the form, and then grants you the ability to send a DMCA.

Then again if the copyright was so easy to look up this way there'd be less of a dispute as to whether Alex owns the copyright or not by the internet detectives.

Copyright and trademark are two entirely different things. Copyright is automatic on creation, although you can obviously give that up. You do not need to register anything, although it makes things easier if youve provided proof to the government.

I didn't hear about this until the newest Jimquisition, but the rate of escalation here is alarming and frightening. Best case scenario here is that she tanked her own career. Anything beyond that, I can only hope for the best for all parties involved. She's clearly unwell and it's heartbreaking that she doesn't seem open to help.

Stanng243

Yes, absolutely, because she is clearly in full control of her mind and not at all in dire need of help.

For better or worse, the doctors found her to be sane. So she has at least some idea of what's she's doing. Although destroying ones one career doesn't seem to be the most sane thing ever.

This person is beyond help, he/she needs to be thrown in jail and then work hard labour at below minimum wage for a few months - or until the people he/she's destroying has their lives back to normal.

JCG

FWIV, not the original NES River City Ransom, but a new game, which does have her music.

Which was almost certainly already paid for. Looking at this entire situation, I am usually in favor of the proverbial underdog, but not when they become bullies against others and wish to engage in some sort of bizarre sadomasochistic breakdown.

FWIV, not the original NES River City Ransom, but a new game, which does have her music.

I'm well aware it's not the original RCR, and as SidAlpha mentioned in the video (and as Leonard French mentions here), when it comes to a commissioned work that was made by a work-for-hire individual, the copyright to that work goes to the commissioner if no contract exists stating otherwise.

So even if her music is in the game, if she was commissioned to write it, it doesn't belong to her.

This is a sticky situation for me. I am all for Artists fighting for their rights and I am a huge advocate of mental health.

After reading and watching everything happening so far I am of the opinion that the youtubers and companies targeted by her need to bring the full weight of the law on her ass like righteous lighting fire and brimstone. I still believe she needs help but this flagrant disregard of the system in place and willful abuse needs to be stopped and an example made. If the situation is handled with kids gloves then other spiteful people with an axe to grind will have a roadmap on what to do.

This is a sticky situation for me. I am all for Artists fighting for their rights and I am a huge advocate of mental health.

After reading and watching everything happening so far I am of the opinion that the youtubers and companies targeted by her need to bring the full weight of the law on her ass like righteous lighting fire and brimstone. I still believe she needs help but this flagrant disregard of the system in place and willful abuse needs to be stopped and an example made. If the situation is handled with kids gloves then other spiteful people with an axe to grind will have a roadmap on what to do.

I believed earlier, during the hospital stay, that she could've salvaged this somewhat with a heartfelt apology and reversing course as much as she could. But to come back and redouble her efforts and blackmail once again burned just about every bridge left.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

The obvious path is for YouTube to not honor every single copyright claim that is sent unless proof of ownership is actually provided.

I believed earlier, during the hospital stay, that she could've salvaged this somewhat with a heartfelt apology and reversing course as much as she could. But to come back and redouble her efforts and blackmail once again burned just about every bridge left.

This is how I feel about the situation. If Imago is to be believed they were trying to salvage something or at least have her save face. But her doubling down and nuking from orbit is really bad business.

The obvious path is for YouTube to not honor every single copyright claim that is sent unless proof of ownership is actually provided.

This is a good point but the hands off approach to YouTube leads me to think they want nothing of this mess till everyone just sues everyone else and lets the courts decide it. This of course is a horrible look for YouTube as well.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is a good point but the hands off approach to YouTube leads me to think they want nothing of this mess till everyone just sues everyone else and lets the courts decide it. This of course is a horrible look for YouTube as well.

That'd probably violate safe harbor status somehow so they'll never actually do it.

SZips

I wonder what the end of this is going to be. Alex clearly seems unhinged and shows no signs of stopping.

I mean, threatening Valve? Going after the River City Ransom devs? Adult Swim Games was bad enough, but now you've gone beyond poking the bull, you're just straight up punching it in the face.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I wonder what the end of this is going to be. Alex clearly seems unhinged and shows no signs of stopping.

I mean, threatening Valve? Going after the River City Ransom devs? Adult Swim Games was bad enough, but now you've gone beyond poking the bull, you're just straight up punching it in the face.

That smacks of attention seeking. People are certainly forced to pay attention to her. She clearly isn't interested in actually upholding or defending her copyrights.

She's been offered to have them transferred to her in full by the Star Maser dev and she refused.

Shame she has no message or apparent goal other than destroying her life's work.

KrtekOrchanoff

Neo Member
Come on people, she's probably in a horrible state of mind at the moment and it's just sad nobody has been able to get through to her to help her. I hope someone does soon though, it hurts to see this unfold.

angelic

Banned
Come on people, she's probably in a horrible state of mind at the moment and it's just sad nobody has been able to get through to her to help her. I hope someone does soon though, it hurts to see this unfold.

You cant just pull what she's done then cry "I have issues" afterwards, life doesnt work like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom