• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stars - The North - 9/4/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
nTtD8.jpg

Tracklist

"The Theory of Relativity"
"Backlines"
"The North"
"Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It"
"Through The Mines"
"Do You Want To Die Together?"
"Lights Changing Colour"
"The Loose Ends Will Make Knots"
"A Song Is A Weapon"
"Progress"
"The 400"
"Walls"

YESSSSSSS!!!! Just heard the news on Facebook.

The Theory of Relativity is the first single. Pretty good track after a handful of listens.

Just recently got Sad Robots EP to add to my collection next to the 5 albums. It's good stuff. Love that version of Going Going Gone. Undertow is a classic. 14 Forever is whimsical. A Thread Cut With A Carving Knife is good stuff. Sad Robot is a better outro than Maintenance Hall, 4AM is an intro.

Hopefully I can see them on tour this time. Sadly I didn't go last time. One of my favorite bands.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Man, this years been a good year for the kind of bands that I like. Can't wait.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I used to love Stars (In Our Bedroom After the War was the first album I bought!), but Sad Robots and The Five Ghosts did nothing for me. There music hasn't changed much, so I might just have grown out of them, but I'll give this album a try nonetheless.

Thanks for the information OP; the single's okay.

I used to love Stars (In Our Bedroom After the War was the first album I bought!), but Sad Robots and The Five Ghosts did nothing for me. There music hasn't changed much, so I might just have grown out of them, but I'll give this album a try nonetheless.

Thanks for the information OP; the single's okay.

Undertow might be their best song ever. The "Ahhh, Ahhh" breakdown is bliss.

Yeah, I think they mentioned on their Facebook that the tour so far is only the first leg though...they're not coming to me on that leg. =(

Just finished.

My favorite songs are Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It(which has been out for awhile now, just a great bouncy song), Lights Changing Color(very The Cure-ish in its music), A Song Is A Weapon, Walls(wanted to hear this one from the sampler that came out last week).

Once again there are no bad tracks. Stars is the definition of quality.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm pretty disappointed by the album to be honest - i can see there's a need for them to try a different direction but the album is pretty patchy to put it mildly.

The one track i like is Through the Mines (probably the most "traditional" Stars song) though it's -extremely- similar to an Art of Fighting/Parallel Lions song whose name escapes me.

Hold on .... is good as well.

Progress is a -strong- chorus away from being a good song as well.

But the rest? I dunno - just found it all a bit disappointing. :(

Theory of Relativity is great, but Walls is amazing. Need to listen to this again, but I'm really loving this. I'd say overall it's not as great as Set Yourself on Fire, or In Our Bedroom, but it's still a really solid album.

I'll have to give this album a listen. I remembered they did this song ("Elevator Love Letter") that I absolutely loved when I was younger. I'll definitely be checking more of their stuff out.

Got the CD in the mail on Friday, cool! Just in time for a road trip...

Unfortunately, it's not their best album. And in my 5 favorite Stars songs, I don't think anything from this album even comes close. Not sure what the deal is - nothing really hits home emotional like "Personal" or comes close to catchability like "Elevator Love Letter."

Dat album cover, though.

Putting the album to the test right now. Listening while drinking. I've only had one beer so far and while I liked the album before...I'm starting to like it more now. Alcohol!

Funny you guys mention ELL. The first song I heard by em on Pandora back in 2004/5. Was an instant fan.

Medalion

Banned
I've heard about 5 songs so far and am liking it, but I can't rate it in terms of which album is better yet

I know they've always been kinda synth pop ish but a lot of songs on this album sound straight outta the 80's in style

sarcastor

north sounds a lot like five ghost, which is bubbly technopop. I miss the real drums and guitars from In the Bedroom or Heart.

I am definitely going to see them in concert when they come to sF in october though :)

To my wife and I, Stars is our band. We saw them and Broken Social Scene on one of our first dates back in 2003, and we've seen them 12 times since then up in Vancouver, down in Portland or at home in Seattle. Even sent them a wedding invitation back in 2006 because their music means that much to us.

I've been listening to The North nonstop for the last week or so. It's growing on me a lot and I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't have as many of the up-tempo songs from past albums, but I like it. Can't wait to see them here in Seattle in November.

Also, if Romney manages to win the election, Torq is gonna be PISSED that night. When we saw the band back in early 2004, he ranted the entire night about Bush being Satan.

giga

The bonus track is really great. I really like about half the songs on the album. The others will have to grow on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom