• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starz is offering the entire first season of Outlander for free! (Apr 1 - 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Starz Offers Free Sampling Of ‘Outlander’ Season 1, Just In Time For Season 2

Starz is offering all 16 first-season episodes of its Outlander series free through April 10, giving new and return viewers a chance to catch up before the April 9 debut of Season 2. The free Season 1 sampling is available via Starz linear, on-demand and/or online with select cable, satellite and telco affiliates, as well as Starz.com, Starz On Demand and the Starz Play app in the U.S.

pG6gBD2.jpg

What is Outlander?

Outlander is an adaptation of the wildly popular 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. Published in 1991, the first book in the series focuses on 20th century nurse Claire Randall, who time travels to 18th century Scotland and finds adventure and romance with the dashing James Fraser. Said to be a mix of several genres, the Outlander series features elements of historical fiction, romance, adventure and science fiction/fantasy.

Outlander was adapted for television by Ronald D. Moore, best known for his 2003 reimagining of Battlestar Galactica. Bear McCreary composed the (incredible) score.

Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

What people are saying

Sanjay said:
Best non action drama show around.

Reeks said:
I gotta say that I really really misjudged this show. I would have never watched it based off of the teasers etc. I watched one episode randomly a while back and holy shit.. it's so good!!! It's a total gem that has sneaked by...

AngmarsKing701 said:
The 2nd half [of the season] was ... difficult to get through ... but this is an epic story and the lead actress is amazing.

Maureen Ryan said:
“Outlander” has blown up a lot of the received ideas about sex on television — how it’s shot, who it’s for, who it’s made by and who it’s about. The show’s seventh episode was nothing short of revolutionary in its depiction of nudity and intimacy, and in its willingness to entertain the female point of view.

IGN said:
Outlander navigated challenging territory in its first season. They built a convincing relationship for Jamie and Claire, they proved the series is not strictly about romance, and they kept the plot engaging even though the supporting cast and locations regularly changed. A strong story and fantastic performances from all cast members helped the show make a successful debut.

AVClub said:
Above all else, Outlander’s first season has been smart and radical, in small but powerful ways.

Where To Watch

Starz.com

gutshot

I tried to get through the first book and I just couldn't. I've heard the TV show is actually better though, so maybe I will check this out.

been meaning to check this out for a while

Black Sails quickly became my favorite show on TV over the past three years, but i don't think i've tried any of the other stuff on Starz. was going to watch Spartacus first, but i guess i'll try to power through this before April 9

gutshot

Never read the book, but the show didn't grab me. Don't think this is for me. :(

The book is just really slow. Also I didn't like how the girl gets sucked back in time and is basically like "Welp, guess I'm living in 18th century Scotland now." There was just immediate acceptance of her situation and almost no urgency from her to want to get back. It just didn't feel believable at all.

Bleepey

The book is just really slow. Also I didn't like how the girl gets sucked back in time and is basically like "Welp, guess I'm living in 18th century Scotland now." There was just immediate acceptance of her situation and almost no urgency from her to want to get back. It just didn't feel believable at all.

What are you talking about? It was a constant theme throughout a lot of the show.
She heard rumours about potentially there being a stone or rock that can transport her back and she went on a mini quest where she was almost reconciled with her husband.

Tevious

I kind of enjoyed the first half of season 1 (parts of it anyway), but I got a little bored with it after her
secret came out
(vague spoiler). I think there's still 2 or 3 episodes I never finished.

hythloday

Black Sails quickly became my favorite show on TV over the past three years, but i don't think i've tried any of the other stuff on Starz. was going to watch Spartacus first, but i guess i'll try to power through this before April 9

Starz is top tier for premium channels, I think. HBO had some good stuff in the past but aside from Game of Thrones I'm not excited about their lineup right now.

Black Sails + Outlander is all I need from cable.

I think Outlander Season 2 is going to blow some minds if they do it right.

Wollan

We enjoyed the first four or so episodes. My girlfriend read all the books growing up and brought this my attention. The main actress is a natural beauty and the supporting cast seem Ok. Will continue to watch.

Zackat

Pretty much my exact reaction to the show as well. She just completely accepts it as her new reality almost instantaneously. Lost interest quickly.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Never heard of it, but I trust your judgement Ratsky. Will give it a watch soon.

darscot

This show is good but be warned the last episode is fucking horrific, easily the worst thing I have ever seen on TV,

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is over early, it seems. The Starz app updated and now it's not free. Only got 3 episodes in and was enjoying it.

Hm, that's odd. Starz just launched their new streaming service today, so that might be affecting their app somehow. It's still free on their website though.

Vlad

This show is good but be warned the last episode is fucking horrific, easily the worst thing I have ever seen on TV,

This.

There was just something about that whole situation that was just extra unsettling.

Everybody should watch Spartacus. Biggest improvement from "so-so pilot" to "must-watch television" I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom