• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Shifty76

So I'm up to Breakdown 7, and other than zombies now not showing up on the mini-map (sometimes...other times they still do) the game still seems fairly easy.

I have a cabinet full of assault rifles and SMG's, along with lots of ammo for them. I'm set up in Snyder trucking warehouse and it's been forever since I've even seen a zombie anywhere near my camp.

Oh, and I trained up my new ninja girl. So far she has max fighting, shooting, reflexes, and near max edged weapons. With her wakazashi and spin kick she's an unstoppable force.

Maybe I should go install that Romero mod for Breakdown too...

charsace

I've been playing this for 10 hours or so now.
Impressions so far:

Most of the things you do are really quite boring. Like the barricade, runner in trouble and clear infestation missions are just a pain in the ass when you've done them ten times already. I don't even send out scavengers anymore because they always get in trouble and I hate it when I have to drive into the woods during night and end up touching a stone which will send my car into a backflip and break. Story missions are quite bad as well: they usually only last for a few minutes and many of them consist of nothing more than driving back and fourth across the map.

I think I like the idea of this game more than the game itself. Design wise, I'd say it's not a very good game at all, you really need to put a lot of effort into roleplaying/imagination to fully enjoy it but even that only carries it so far. I get that this is a small/indie/xbl title but that's not an excuse for poor game mechanics(I don't mind the average graphics or the small map though a bigger one would be nice).
When playing this I find that I think more about what it could be and what I wish was possible than that the game actually is fun.

It's not a bad game, I'd give it 6/10 (above average, pretty good).
If you clear hordes, setup outposts, and train people up and give them weapons they hardly get stuck.

wetwired

Finished this last night after picking it up in the steam sales, I felt like I wanted more but dunno if I can delve back into another playthrough, nor does the breakdown DLC look that appealing (please tell me reasons why it is :p)

Worst incident for me was using maya who was probably my best character, I took her to
the warehouse to get the demolitions for the last mission
I got fairly fucked up in process but managed to pull through with fuckall health, a tired and stamina deprived maya, driving home along a long stretch of road. My 2 year old son walked in and pressed whatever button it was on my controller to exit the moving vehicle just as I was about to plow into a horde. I rolled out and stood up and tried hard to fight them off, I managed to take about half of them out and was looking good to pull through when one of those fast big guys came barrelling in and ripped Maya in half :(

Shifty76

Finished this last night after picking it up in the steam sales, I felt like I wanted more but dunno if I can delve back into another playthrough, nor does the breakdown DLC look that appealing (please tell me reasons why it is :p)

If you found the base game to be way too easy then Breakdown cranks that up a TON.

More of a sandbox means you're not getting pestered to do missions every few seconds. You still get the odd one, but you can choose to ignore it with no real implications (other than potentially missing out on having useful survivors wanting to join you) The only mission you really need to do is to find and repair the RV to move on to the next level.

For me, Breakdown was exactly what I needed to renew my interest in the game and I'm loving the added challenge.

Unity2012

Wow, this game came out of nowhere for me. I saw it for the first time on the XBL sales and missed that chance... a couple days later I tried the Demo and was immediately hooked. Bought it for $20 and loving it.

I like how it kind of makes me care for my characters and for the different groups around. I honestly feel that's an area where most games need to improve . Games like XCOM and even Viva Pinata are gold for creating a bond between the player and the characters they play.

The game is not perfect. There is so much great potential to simply polish and expand; however, what it does, it does really well.

I am not expert but wouldn't a MP portion be better than turning the next game into an MMO? I hope they dont... but hey... wishful thinking. oh, and a next gen version with better frame rate, a couple new areas and more zombies--or even antagonizing humans would be Awesome!

I haven't finish it yet; but I hear Breakdown opens up the game and makes it more difficult. So that will be my next step.

Thank you Deadlab! Praise to you guys.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
This is pretty much my DREAM game. Its a single player day z which is what i want.

Love survival games.

However..i have no clue what I am doing?

How do i switch characters? how do i get supplies? and morale? and all that stuff? I pretty much am sticking to my missions, but i would like to explore and know what im looking for to bring back and make people happy. current mood is like angry and i want to be able to send out scavengers and all that?

any tips?

derFeef

This is pretty much my DREAM game. Its a single player day z which is what i want.

Love survival games.

However..i have no clue what I am doing?

How do i switch characters? how do i get supplies? and morale? and all that stuff? I pretty much am sticking to my missions, but i would like to explore and know what im looking for to bring back and make people happy. current mood is like angry and i want to be able to send out scavengers and all that?

any tips?

Just open the menu and take your time looking through it, there is a lot of non-explained stuff in there - like specializing in a weapon. You can switch characters (that trust/friend you) by choosing them in the menu or by walking up to them and talk to them.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Just open the menu and take your time looking through it, there is a lot of non-explained stuff in there - like specializing in a weapon. You can switch characters (that trust/friend you) by choosing them in the menu or by walking up to them and talk to them.

any tips on finding loots/ supplies? I was trying to do the call for scavengers thing, hasnt worked yet

derFeef

any tips on finding loots/ supplies? I was trying to do the call for scavengers thing, hasnt worked yet

If you have a lookout in your base (I think every base has?) you can let search for specific items - it takes some minutes and it will pop up on your map. Or just go to houses and search stuff - calling for scavengers is only working if you are in a house/area with loot.

Shifty76

Supplies are found where you'd expect to find them:

Food from fridges or convenience stores, gas from gas stations and sheds in yards, ammo & guns from gun stores and police stations, construction supplies from construction sites & warehouses.

I believe you need to be past the vet clinic mission in order to call for scavengers, plus the area must be clear of zeds.

Here's a screenie from my Breakdown game (currently level 12). No, those are not hordes - that's regular zed population.

2B0E1A35616AD0A5E76EA1398224889508E8692B

Trigger

Here's a screenie from my Breakdown game (currently level 12). No, those are not hordes - that's regular zed population.

You're a trooper. lol, I was already kind of annoyed at level 6. I can't imagine how awful the resources are at that level either.

derFeef

Goddamn they need to fix the black crush.... inexcusable. I wonder if they are already hard at work on the second game though ;D

dorkimoe

Gold Member
So I figured out building onto my base and stuff. And I have made outposts. How do you get another base to build on? Or am I restricted to the few spaces I have at the church? Like I wanna build the workout area, can I do that at outposts?

Trigger

You can only have one base at a time, and you can only build as many facilities as the base provides. Outposts can't hold facilities. You'll have to move to a new, bigger base if you want more facilities at once.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
You can only have one base at a time, and you can only build as many facilities as the base provides. Outposts can't hold facilities. You'll have to move to a new, bigger base if you want more facilities at once.

Oh sweet. How do you find bigger bases? Just keep exploring?

Should I not be building outposts willy nilly?

Trigger

Oh sweet. How do you find bigger bases? Just keep exploring?

Should I not be building outposts willy nilly?

You're playing story mode, right? A mission will become available later where you'll be introduced to two larger bases and unlock the option to move bases. Outside of that you indeed have to explore to find them. Outposts provide protection from hordes so it's up to you. You can remove them pretty easily and the cooldown to set up a new outpost isn't very long, so there's plenty of room for experimentation.

Picked up the game again after finishing it months ago, wanted to go for 100% of the achievements, having a blast again. I remember in my first playthrough I got fed up with the game after 10 hours or so, because the gameplaysystems keep pushing you to do fetch quests just to keep your population happy. After a few months though, I'm just happy to run around again, keep people happy and especially keep Marcus alive so he can do those 50 missions ;)

They also posted a small Q&A for Lifeline, https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/mini-q-a-for-lifeline.41223/

Some nice stuff, especially that your defenses are going to be tested more, in the main game they're a joke, it's no use boarding your windows or anything. And they're going to use fuel as a resource! Huzzah! Not sure if it's for generators, but that makes sense, generators were in the game at some point so some code must be there. Looking forward to it!

Breakdown is for sale on the Xbox 360, it's -50% until the 21st of april. Check it out here:marketplace.xbox.com/Product/State-of-Decay-Breakdown/98687aac-c9cf-47c1-b45f-f0603b0bead9

Thrakier

Just picked this up as part of the Humble Bumble. Should I be modding this up from the get go?

This is what I'd like to know also. Bought the PC version. Image quality is like from another planet, so horrible, horrible. Like unmodded Dark Souls, just worse. And I STILL GET FRAMEDROPS.

The hell.

I just wanted to say

I booted up the game yesterday and what do I find but the most bullshit feature that's ever been created fucking EVER

The game plays itself when you're gone, and all my goddamn neighbors died

madmook

Zombie apocalypse don't stop just cuz you turn off the game, man!

Anyways, the "simulation" in the game stops after a few days, I think. And you'll get new neighbors anyways.

Looking forward to the Lifeline dlc (and patch #5 on Xbox).

sangreal

Yeah, it used to me much worse. IIRC the offline simulation will no longer kill any playable characters you've earned. Also, as mentioned, you're really only punished for not playing every day -- they don't punish you more if you don't play for a month

LowerLevel

I love it! A bit congested, but it works. Having soldiers that already have certain skills/equipment should of made it an easy DLC, and it kind of still is, but the besiege/threat level seems to happen pretty frequently the more you play. TBH I am only about 3 hours or so in, but I already lost a favorite soldier (and consequentially, a mission I believe...). Have yet to travel into a danger zone too, but i will very soon to see how long I can survive.

If anything, I'm the most upset at not being able to use my existing MS store buck on the 360 store like I have been already (full games and DLC). No matter, still double dipping!

Edit: MS bucks finally worked... but damn this game. I lost ANOTHER semi-important guy-quest giver to a siege! Shit's out of hand... but it feels so good.

Jintor

Grabbed Lifeline off the Steam sale, having a blast again. What I wouldn't give for something with even more base building etc.

LowerLevel

Grabbed Lifeline off the Steam sale, having a blast again. What I wouldn't give for something with even more base building etc.

Yeah, Lifeline with a more structured building option would be boss! I wish MS hired some team to "port" this to the XOne so I can triple dip!

Gotta say, Lifeline is an amazingly tense campaign. Frustrating in a way that only a zombie-human survival game can and should be, but I don't mind restarting to get it right and the game just keeps on delivering the awesome upon restarts. Only wish that the still-wonky vehicle physics weren't so touchy and the AI was better when it matters...having to reposition the getaway car during a run just so the dumbass AI can get around the corner of the vehicle without getting mobbed is more irritating than it should be. LOVE the vehicle storage. Oh, and I moved on from the X360 version to the PC one just because I cannot take the too-low framerate in the console game anymore NEED XBOX ONE VERSION NOWWWWWW.

LowerLevel

Gotta say, Lifeline is an amazingly tense campaign. Frustrating in a way that only a zombie-human survival game can and should be, but I don't mind restarting to get it right and the game just keeps on delivering the awesome upon restarts. Only wish that the still-wonky vehicle physics weren't so touchy and the AI was better when it matters...having to reposition the getaway car during a run just so the dumbass AI can get around the corner of the vehicle without getting mobbed is more irritating than it should be. LOVE the vehicle storage. Oh, and I moved on from the X360 version to the PC one just because I cannot take the too-low framerate in the console game anymore NEED XBOX ONE VERSION NOWWWWWW.

Agree completely. I kinda borked my PC save recently with a mod, but it's cool. I actually am tolerating the 360 version just for chievos but would love to triple-dip on an Xbox One version! Love this game.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
So I picked up this game during the summer sale because I've kind of been eyeing it for a while. I started it up and holy molly is the lightning supposed to be so damn intense? I'm trying to tweak my settings and it doesn't appear to be having much effect. I don't know if it's just this beginning part of the game or what.

Not entirely sure how to explain in, it's like everything is heavily orange tinted. I'll try and take a screen shot and see if that paints a good picture.

LowerLevel

So I picked up this game during the summer sale because I've kind of been eyeing it for a while. I started it up and holy molly is the lightning supposed to be so damn intense? I'm trying to tweak my settings and it doesn't appear to be having much effect. I don't know if it's just this beginning part of the game or what.

Not entirely sure how to explain in, it's like everything is heavily orange tinted. I'll try and take a screen shot and see if that paints a good picture.

No, unfortunately the game has that ugly hue to it. There is an ENB, but it doesn't work too well (for me, at least...). If you have more knowledge/experience in modding (which is probably the case), the file is over at the Nexus.

Both Breakdown and Lifeline are on sale this week on Xbox Live, both 50% off.

Just bought Lifeline, I'm still working on 100%ing Breakdown, but it's slow going, still at level 1 to be honest... Forgot to note down which facilities I've upgraded, d'oh! And I think I'm gonna have to let go of killing a community member due to illness in this playthrough, better to do that in a seperate playthrough where killing is my only aim...

bengraven

Just can't get into Lifeline.

Yeah, it's definitely a different style of game and it is more difficult which is a plus, but it just has't grabbed me nearly as well. The characters aren't as interesting (which is giving Marcus and Maya too much credit) and I liked the small town world of vanilla.

Skinpop

started playing this again.. and I just can't believe they haven't fixed the crushed blacks yet. Game is so dark and overly saturated that it hurts my eyes, even with maximum gamma. this should be such an easy thing to patch....

LowerLevel

started playing this again.. and I just can't believe they haven't fixed the crushed blacks yet. Game is so dark and overly saturated that it hurts my eyes, even with maximum gamma. this should be such an easy thing to patch....

Probably concentrating more on the upcoming XOne port and Class 4 to worry about patches would be my guess. Maybe not a large enough team to allocate resources?

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
I love this game. Only complaint is the lack of content. I've spent several dozen hours across the three game modes so I can't complain too much, but I love the framework and gameplay so much that I just want more content, bigger maps, etc. Since the devs just had a project fail (Moonrise) I really hope they are focusing all efforts on the MMO sequel. If they get it right it will probably be the only game I play for a long time.

After about twenty hours my main character fell victim to a large group of zombies and a feral. I said, fuck it, and went into Breakdown mode instead. The story wasn't really grabbing me and I've enjoyed the pure survival mode that Breakdown offers. It's also a lot better at letting you cherry pick your group of survivors. Still love this game so much. SoD 2 is going to be something really special.

Top Bottom