• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Activity Log - Tracking Gaming Habits (For Science)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought it would be a novel idea to post what games I've been playing and how many hours. Also show what my friends have been playing.

I think it's pretty fascinating to track what me and my friends have been playing and how much. This way we can see the trends of sales or just new releases or if something like a DayZ mod comes along and really helps boost a games playtime.

cap1myy0o.png
cap2wzbwd.png

In this case, for me, you can see I've been playing lots of Burnout due to the Steam sale price. It's basically rekindled my love for the game even though I actually already Platinum'd this game on PS3. ArmA II, that kind of speaks for itself but if no one knew about DayZ, you would be asking why it's being played right up there with games like Dota 2. That's the beauty of PC gaming :p

I also find it compelling to see that my friends are playing NBA2k. Likely due to the Olympics and just how much momentum the NBA has right now.

Let me know if this is a crazy idea. And some of you may have other odd reasons as to why you or your friends are trending towards certain games.

LiquidMetal14

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
You are aware of this right? Since there is a top 100 you should be able to see a title that you want information of.

I am aware of that. I like to see what the individual (YOU) and his friends are active on and why. It's not as easy as a sale inducing higher player counts sometimes.

^^ Cool site. I think I wasn't clear enough in the OP though. It's nice to compare but that's not what the main point is. Mod can lock this if he/she deems this thread unworthy :)

Derrick01

Banned
I wish it was more accurate than it is. It seems to have problems tracking some games and sometimes many hours are sliced off of the stats.

DaBuddaDa

The Total War series has such a great, passionate, dedicated fan base. Glad to see Empire and Shogun 2 still up there in numbers.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'll bite.

VWJgq.png

I bought a bunch of shit over the Summer sale, yet somehow L4D2's on top. Funny. Saints and Lara Croft are the only games here I've actually completed. MP with friends is killin' my progress.

S8AUP.png

Lots of Summer sale stuff. Can't really argue with any of this though, my friends have good taste.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
X7mcb.jpg
zBU1S.jpg

Edit: Right now I'm alternating between Kingdoms of Amalur's main campaign (I'll get to the DLC later) and Lego Indy, the former of which I should be done with before the timer hits 140. I finished Alan Wake's American Nightmare after purchasing it during the Summer Sale and have put Just Cause 2 on the backburner for the time being, having sunk a little too much time into the game over the past few weeks (purely SP; I haven't touched the MP mod).

Edit 2: Friends' most played:
j7leN.jpg

ShaneB

This is one of my favourite features about Steam. Nice to see these stats and see the trends that pop up.... which is usually dominated by Dota 2 as you can clearly see. Just finished Psychonauts, so now I'm wondering what to dive into next.

yhspe.jpg
7FZHq.jpg

coopolon

SteamStats.jpg

My old job ended two weeks ago and my new job doesn't start for another 2 weeks so I've been gaming a lot.

Played a ton of FONV as you can see, actually played too much and burned myself out. Now I'm starting Assassin's Creed 1 now with the thought of playing through 1, 2, Brotherhood by the time for the Xmas sale when I'll pick up Revelations.

Learned my lesson from FONV though, I can't marathon games anymore, I'll lose interest. So now I'm going to be doing it an hour or so at a time.

In friends, DOTA continues to reign as king.

I actually think the most impressive stat though is Binding of Isaac, the little game that just keeps giving. Although 3 people make up 70 of those hours.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Sure, why not:

SteamTracking.PNG

SteamTracking2.PNG

I wish it was more accurate than it is. It seems to have problems tracking some games and sometimes many hours are sliced off of the stats.

A lot of my games are way off when it comes to the hours. Binding of Isaac says 30, I think, but in reality it's like three or four times that.

I usually see my friends' activity like others have posted... but I can't seem to find it right now. Where am I supposed to look, again? I'm confused as to why I'm having a hard time looking for it. The one I do see is in a different layout.

My stats.
LZn38.png

Garry's Mod reigns supreme in my games list due to my love for Trouble in Terrorist Town. Haven't been playing it much recently as the server I frequent is becoming a ghost town.

And my friends' stats.
BWqyV.png

So many folks in my friends list play TTT as well, but I believe a good chunk of that is from roleplaying servers as well.

Alex

I don't think I've had an accurate clock in anything since I was a kid. Nowadays I just have too strong of a tendency to walk off and leave things running, or in the case of PC games, tab out and just leave it like that.

MarkusRJR

Do they have something like this on the PS3/360? I've rarely used PSN or Xbox Live so I don't know. It's probably my favorite thing ever on the 3DS and on steam (even though my netbook only runs simple 2D games).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do they have something like this on the PS3/360? I've rarely used PSN or Xbox Live so I don't know. It's probably my favorite thing ever on the 3DS and on steam (even though my netbook only runs simple 2D games).

You can track your XBL playtime with Raptr I think.

bnZ34.png

I'd say about 85% of my DOTA2 time is being AFK or spectating. I rarely play the game at all. All the other games listed are legit stats.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
iRLPUlh3o8MTR.PNG

Kinda starting to lose interest in Vindictus; getting the next armor set upgrade would basically require running this one raid boss like 30-35 times for a drop. Ugh.

inWq01gIKwQuY.PNG

Adding onto the trend of DOTA2 being most played by people on my friends list. TF2 really doesn't count for me as I was recording a vid just to get the pillar of the community steam badge

untitled-1uzlmg.jpg

DJ_Lae

It's been a slow couple of weeks for me on Steam, it seems.

iboCTl1IUjRA9J.jpg
iZSDUV56mNX7Y.jpg

Also, my friends have been playing as interesting a mix of games as me.

LiquidMetal14

lTJdh.jpg

mZy3i.jpg

+a whole bunch of other games that I played like an hour of.

I actually think this is a tad more interesting:

nTRV9.jpg
That is pretty interesting. It doesn't traxk recent trends but it still says something worhwhile when the total hours is as high as some of those in your pic.

Wow, didn't realize it was that long. Not sure if that makes me more or less eager to play it though.
It's as long as you want it to be, honestly. I'm the kind of person that explores every inch possible of any given area and fight everything as much as possible. I could have finished it even before the 70-hour mark. Maybe even 50.

AlexBasch

Okay then.

ApvMp.png

I really invested a lot of hours in zombie chopping stuff. The game is dead online now, I only found people the first two days and when it was on sale, whatever.

0UmBH.png

Here's hoping that Skyrim hits 75% off on this Winter Sale. :p

Top Bottom