• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Mark of the Ninja is...AMAZING

7iAr5.png
One of the best games of the year for me.

Echoplx

Pro: Doesn't clutter up my list.

Con: Doesn't add 50 games to my total game count.

Hmmm I have to weigh this.

Edit: Also says the dreamcast pack is unavaliable :(

It does actually because all the games are listed under the DLC tab, my profile list went from 620 to 670.

JustinBB7

I thought you guys were talking about a new feature for the client or steam profile that finally seperates games and DLC.

But I was wrong :'(

HoosTrax

Pro: Doesn't clutter up my list.

Con: Doesn't add 50 games to my total game count.

Hmmm I have to weigh this.

Edit: Also says the dreamcast pack is unavaliable :(
Oh I hate that kind of thing. S&M, in particular.

56012777.png

Should be only one entry per season. I hope Telltale didn't do this with TWD.

Istaerion

If you order it from GMG do you get the pre-order bonuses mentioned at Steam?

Nope, you instead get access to the following pre-order bonuses:

Pistol Burst Upgrade

Early access to the three-shot burst pistol upgrade will let Lara unleash a hail of firepower on her foes.

Animal Instinct Skill Upgrade

Early access to the Animal instinct skill will light up XP-laden animals in Survival Instinct mode to help Lara upgrade to the next skill in no time.

Grief.exe

All of a sudden I'm kind of glad I only have 250 games on steam.

Just checked my count. 251. How the hell did I get that much? lol

Keep in mind that when you check on your actual steam profile, it counts DLC as games.

But when you check from your library, under All Games, it will give the actual number of games you have.

For example, on my profile, Steam says I have 206 games. On my library it says I have 143 games.

MNC

Keep in mind that when you check on your actual steam profile, it counts DLC as games.

But when you check from your library, under All Games, it will give the actual number of games you have.

For example, on my profile, Steam says I have 206 games. On my library it says I have 143 games.
I am checking my library.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But how could one possibly purchase a game before there is a RPS Wot I Think written about it?
They said Hell Yeah! was a bad game, so I wouldn't trust them at all. If they told me it's raining, I'd put my hand out the window and check for myself.

Blizzard

Banned
I just one of the first times I can remember seeing a game vanish from the Steam store. Soldiers: Heroes of World War II was an old-graphics, janky game, but it had online co-op! It even worked with a bunch of people hosting individually presumably years after any servers had died! But now its store page is no more, and it exists only as a memory, and an uninstalled game in my library.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

So I finished Transformers: War for Cybertron last night in co-op with a friend and I have to recommend it here. It was 5$ on the last sale and it will probably be 5$ again on the upcoming Christmas sale. Here is why it blew me away:

-The co-op is great. The netcode was super solid and the scenarios are just a ton of fun to experience with a proper bro.

-The scale is spectacular. You travel through some massive areas without a single prerendered cutscene or load screen and the streaming is completely invisible (something that Quantum Conundrum completely failed at). The second to last level damn near brought a tear to my eye, but also made me bitter at Bioware from failing to match this space-based deliciousness in the Mass Effect series (also on UE3).

-The art is really consistent/pleasant. They keep the environments look fresh and varied and even though it is purely mechanical architecture, UE3 translates the style perfectly. They also make smart use of colorgrading.

-The gameplay also stays fresh and varied. The devs wisely mixed vehicle and ground combat in almost every level and the transition between the two feels really good. It's always a delight to drive or fly to some battle and drop out of the air while transitioning to the bipedal form.

-The writing and story is a lot of fun. Every possible robot-related pun is made and all the villains wear their hearts on their sleeves. I couldn't help but smile at everything Megatron/Star Scream said. Oh and each level starts with a little bit of text setting up the "episode." It's a great little touch that made each session feel like a weekly episode of the show.

Really the only issue we ran into was the final boss giving us a bit of trouble with certain attacks, but after a while we kinda perfected our method and nailed it. I feel pretty confident in saying we both had an incredible time with the game because we both agreed to play it again in co-op with a third friend who was asking if he should buy it haha.

A daily deal so nice it's only been mentioned twice. Darkspore was a ghost town when I bought it at launch, it's a completely unremarkable Diablo-like outside of the hero editing, which is the only thing remotely Spore-like about the game, it has always online DRM and EA published it...so that means they'll shut down the servers for it in about a day.

Think of other things you could spend that 5$ on, like buying some soda from a vending machine and giving the change to a hobo.

Salsa

So I finished Transformers: War for Cybertron last night in co-op with a friend and I have to recommend it here. It was 5$ on the last sale and it will probably be 5$ again on the upcoming Christmas sale. Here is why it blew me away:

-The co-op is great. The netcode was super solid and the scenarios are just a ton of fun to experience with a proper bro.

-The scale is spectacular. You travel through some massive areas without a single prerendered cutscene or load screen and the streaming is completely invisible (something that Quantum Conundrum completely failed at). The second to last level damn near brought a tear to my eye, but also made me bitter at Bioware from failing to match this space-based deliciousness in the Mass Effect series (also on UE3).

-The art is really consistent/pleasant. They keep the environments look fresh and varied and even though it is purely mechanical architecture, UE3 translates the style perfectly. They also make smart use of colorgrading.

-The gameplay also stays fresh and varied. The devs wisely mixed vehicle and ground combat in almost every level and the transition between the two feels really good. It's always a delight to drive or fly to some battle and drop out of the air while transitioning to the bipedal form.

-The writing and story is a lot of fun. Every possible robot-related pun is made and all the villains wear their hearts on their sleeves. I couldn't help but smile at everything Megatron/Star Scream said. Oh and each level starts with a little bit of text setting up the "episode." It's a great little touch that made each session feel like a weekly episode of the show.

Really the only issue we ran into was the final boss giving us a bit of trouble with certain attacks, but after a while we kinda perfected our method and nailed it. I feel pretty confident in saying we both had an incredible time with the game because we both agreed to play it again in co-op with a third friend who was asking if he should buy it haha.

pretty bad port tho. Thankfully there's a 60fps unlocker and you can dowmsaple to get rid of those jaggies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
pretty bad port tho. Thankfully there's a 60fps unlocker and you can dowmsaple to get rid of those jaggies.

Some games are just so fun that that shit don't really matter at the end of the day. Even if you didn't fix a single thing it would still be an improvement over the console version and as you obviously know, the things can be fixed by anyone who has a rudimentary understanding of google so it really wasn't worth mentioning.

this is a mostly academic question, but is there actually any reason to buy those old tomb raider games if you already own the remakes? my understanding is that the remakes is are pretty faithful, and they have native 360 pad support and look better so... I guess I'm just not really seeing why you would buy the originals, particularly given the pricing.

then again I'm not a big TR guy or anything, so perhaps there's stuff about the originals which was streamlined out of existence in the remakes. what's the deal?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
this is a mostly academic question, but is there actually any reason to buy those old tomb raider games if you already own the remakes? my understanding is that the remakes is are pretty faithful, and they have native 360 pad support and look better so... I guess I'm just not really seeing why you would buy the originals, particularly given the pricing.

then again I'm not a big TR guy or anything, so perhaps there's stuff about the originals which was streamlined out of existence in the remakes. what's the deal?

They only remade the original and it is an amazing remake they modernizes the first game in the best way possible. It's up there with the REmake. TR2-5 was not remade and the only way to see that content is to play these releases, old school style.

Salsa

Some games are just so fun that that shit don't really matter at the end of the day. Even if you didn't fix a single thing it would still be an improvement over the console version and as you obviously know, the things can be fixed by anyone who has a rudimentary understanding of google so it really wasn't worth mentioning.

fair, but that first time launching it was rough. Wonder if the sequel is any better at that.

Miker

I have to disagree with this. I only played through the first few levels of the Decepticon campaign, but I was so put off by the almost monochrome art. It wasn't gray, but it was gray and purple, with some UE3 bloom thrown in. Everything looked so muddy and everything blended together.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have to disagree with this. I only played through the first few levels of the Decepticon campaign, but I was so put off by the almost monochrome art. It wasn't gray, but it was gray and purple, with some UE3 bloom thrown in. Everything looked so muddy and everything blended together.

...are you familiar with the basics of Cybertron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom