• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember Wolfenstein being a ton of fun when I played it at release. Just a good time all around. I think I'm going to buy it again just to have it on Steam. Of course, I also like Nazi/occult/WW2-themed stuff.

Joe Molotov

This will be the second copy of Wolfenstein I've owned, for which I've spent a total of $5. I won a 360 copy at Quakecon a few years back. :)

Zimbardo

grabbed Wolfenstein for the $4.99 and grabbed Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning for $48 the other day (off Gamefly/ 20% off coupon/ register on Origin).

so a pretty good week of gaming for me.

win!

1-D_FTW

Rochard has downloaded 3 times in the last couple days. One was a legit patch, but I'm not sure about these last two. It's getting its download privileges revoked.

YESSS!! I've been waiting for a Wolfy sale for ages! But, fuck, I've had credit card issues since yesterday and have to fix it. You will be mine.

I did and I think by-the-numbers mediocrity is pretty on target. Singularity was better than a "typical" Raven game but they still can't do good level design to save their lives and the time travel wasn't used nearly as interestingly as it could have been. Much like almost every Raven game I can think of since their high point of Heretic 2 (and probably that as well), it's a game with a few good high points and a lot of hum-drum by-the-numbers game design.

If you can get Singularity for under $10 I'd say it's worth the ~6 hours to play it but that's it. It's a poor man's Bioshock, except it trades better gunplay for stifling linearity.

This is pretty much what I think. It's more interesting than your average CoD-like because of the Bioshock influences but It's still a CoD-like and not very fun to play.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Haven't played Wolfenstein but I will now, Singularity was great stuff (more Half-Life like than COD-like imo, of course not everyone's going to agree, other people hate Metro 2033 but I also loved that game and generally enjoy those that get a certain mood and atmosphere across even if they have a few flaws here and there, which these games did), all that seems to hold Raven back is the lack of huge budgets like other developers get but even so they don't have at all dodgy output, it's not like anyone could liken their games to Homefront or similar... They definitely could improve the gunplay but eh, worthy games regardless.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On the one hand, I do want to check out Wolf 2009 at some point. On the other hand, backlog, and this is "only" 75% off, and there's a good chance it'll be 75% off in future sales. Yeah, definitely pass.

1-D_FTW

God damn Origin sucks. Every time I open Origin, my entire computer hangs for about 15 seconds before it unfreezes and loads the malware up.

Not only that, I just got out of a game, my CPU resources were at 2 percent, but I was getting hitches while typing this post. Typing! Completely closing Origin allowed my typing to no longer stutter. P.O.S.

He just means that he will stop it from downloading patches, not that Steam will do so.

I hope it does.

I actually have the opposite problem with that. Ever since I reformatted Windows 7, no game will auto-update unless it was installed post-Windows 7 install (had games on a separate partition) or for the 100 others, I need to verify their cache before Steam will touch them.

On the one hand, I do want to check out Wolf 2009 at some point. On the other hand, backlog, and this is "only" 75% off, and there's a good chance it'll be 75% off in future sales. Yeah, definitely pass.

That's exactly how I am. It'd be fine if I didn't have much else to play or was even in the mood for a shooter.

But I think that this is the first time the game has ever went on a deep discount. It was pretty much the new VTM: Bloodlines--always refusing to get a good sale. Maybe it'll change now, though. *shrug*

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'd get it if I had $5, but then that's how I ended up with my massive backlog. I've just been wanting some new raven/id lately. I was so tempted to grab Quake 4 a while back.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Tempted by Wolfenstein but I have too much as it is. But I'm insane enough to get it with a a coupon with a decent % off since it would probably make it cheaper than it'll ever hit.

Ifrit

I'm actually using that logic for pretty much all the games on sale this year so far, indie bundles being the exception

scitek

Haha, I bit on Wolfenstein because I don't know if it will ever be on sale again. I've been waiting on a sale on it for a long time.

Haha, I bit on Wolfenstein because I don't know if it will ever be on sale again. I've been waiting on a sale on it for a long time.

That may also be true.
Even if it does this is probably the cheapest it'll ever be. So if you want to play it at some point, why not buy it now?

Played it on PS3 and thought it was very mediocre. (Still sitting on the copy since selling it isn't allowed in Germany. Very touchy subject matter.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But I think that this is the first time the game has ever went on a deep discount. It was pretty much the new VTM: Bloodlines--always refusing to get a good sale. Maybe it'll change now, though. *shrug*

That's an excellent reason for why you shouldn't jump on it; VTM:B broke a 2 and a half year hiatus for going on sale, and then went on sale at least 3 times in the 6 months after that. I think I paid $13 for VTM:B and it was $10 at least once before I managed to install it a month later hahaha.

AlexBasch

Played a bit of MW3 mp and felt okay-ish.

Then I noticed the $40 tag and made my choice of play this until Monday and forget about it.

Kabouter

That's an excellent reason for why you shouldn't jump on it; VTM:B broke a 2 and a half year hiatus for going on sale, and then went on sale at least 3 times in the 6 months after that. I think I paid $13 for VTM:B and it was $10 at least once before I managed to install it a month later hahaha.

Didn't it go on sale as part of a publisher discount at one point, during which everyone here bought it, and then go on a daily deal just days later?

1-D_FTW

Didn't it go on sale as part of a publisher discount at one point, during which everyone here bought it, and then go on a daily deal just days later?

I got it for 4.99 at the end of July. I think people bought it for 33 percent off during the summer sale (since it wasn't even getting that during most seasonals), and then bam, a couple days after the summer sale ended, DD gets 75 percent off. Many keyboards were busted that day.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
the game seemed to have a sort of fish eye view by default.

the exaggerated bopping around while running is gross too.

Five second Google:

Gamespot Forums said:
add the line

seta g_noViewBob "1"

to the wolf.cfg file.

where is this file you ask? just search for it cause it's in a weird place if you can't find it. first enable view for hidden files. for vista: HDD\users\"name"\appdata\local\id software\wolfsp\base\wolf.cfg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom