• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
More demos are never a bad thing, I just don't even remember the last time I played a demo. They're pretty worthless to me. Something either looks interesting, is on some crazy sale, or someone on gaf recommends it are usually the only ways to get me to buy your game. I don't have time for demos.

Same, I haven't bothered with demos since I was a teenager.

Ah yeah, I completely forgot about retail for some reason.

UK physical retail prices truly are marvellous.

On a related note:

Civ 5 GOTY is £10.19 at GetGamesGo and it registers on Steam I believe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Steam is not about having a backlog, it's about having an extensive library so you can metaphorically choose a book from your library and sip from a fancy beverage while relaxing in a posh lounge chair and talking to your butler. Ah, the good life.

And by that I mean, you have the games when you are in the mood to play them, you buy them at a price that seems affordable and reasonable to you, and you don't have to worry about beating them. Collecting them is the game, like Pokemon!

Yeah, I've come around to this line of thinking. If you're smart about your purchases, and don't pay high prices for games you KNOW you won't play right away, it's not so bad. It's nice to read a intriguing LTTP thread or a comment on GAF (sometimes in this very thread) and to be able to get on Steam and boot up the game within minutes. When I was a console-only bro, I was limited to a modest stack of games, now I've got a massive virtual library of all sorts of games just a click away.

And on the topic of pricing, I don't fret over a few $2.50-$10 flops considering I've spent that much on games I've played upwards of 100 hours. It all balances out in the end, as long as you don't become one of those backlog junkies who are more into buying games than playing them.

My only problem is that I get sucked into the hype and buy a lot of new, full priced games. Sometimes it's worth it, but more often than not I shelve the game after several hours and go back to The Witcher or Terraria. I've managed to reign in my smaller impulse purchases, but I gotta learn some patience.

Volcynika

Not sure if mentioned, but pre-purchase of Darkness II up:

Reg is $49.99 (Pre-order and get upgraded to LE for free)
4-pack is $149.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/67370/

Limited Edition includes:

Custom artwork illustrated by Marc Silvestri (artwork will be downloaded as a .pdf to your Darkness II folder in the directory: ...Steam\steamapps\common\)
Free digital download of The Darkness Origins Volume 1 and 2 comics (redeemable through comiXology.com)

Exclusive In-Game Items

Alternate darkling outfit - "Crazy Abdul"
Two character ability upgrades:
Gourmet Hearts: provides bonus for eating hearts
Relic Hunter: locates collectible items in the world

My only problem is that I get sucked into the hype and buy a lot of new, full priced games. Sometimes it's worth it, but more often than not I shelve the game after several hours and go back to The Witcher or Terraria. I've managed to reign in my smaller impulse purchases, but I gotta learn some patience.

The only 60 dollar games I bought on pc in 2011 were Skyrim and Deus Ex. I was and still am totally fine with that. I got my money's worth out of them.

Also the first darkness never came to pc right?

Giard

So what's the consensus for the X-COM games? Only get the first two ones (UFO Defense + Terror from the Deep)?

1-D_FTW

Runs like shit on my system too (constant stuttering and horrible fps near fire). i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560Ti here. Would be really thankful if someone could help me sort it out.

Kind of amend my later remarks. It definitely helps using the settings I've posted, but something is fucked up here. I've got one CPU core spiking big time. It's especially evident in that opening scene with the fire. Went and hooked it up to my HDTV and even at only 720P and using the Nvidia HDMI audio, one of my cores was constantly spiking at 100 percent usage (Q9400 @ 3.4Ghz). So something is definitely not playing nice. Not sure there's any fix, though. It's there with both onboard and HDMI audio. So there's not a whole lot more I can think of to try. Thankfully it's fairly decent if I use the settings I posted previously. Usually very smooth.

So what's the consensus for the X-COM games? Only get the first two ones (UFO Defense + Terror from the Deep)?

They are the best in the series, but honestly if you enjoy strategy games you might have some fun with the rest. I'd call UFO Defence and TFTD true classics without any reservations, they are nearly flawless games.

Barrett2

Just got a big monitor for my Macbook Pro. I'd like to play more games. What is the easiest solution for a gamepad? I have a few wireless 360 controllers, and a few PS3 controllers. Will those work?

Vyer

I was hoping for an Anno 2070 sale during the holidays, but no dice. I couldn't even muster up an Ubi coupon. Amazon has it for 38, cheapest I've seen I think...

TheExodu5

Banned
Age of Empires 3 is $40, and on sale for $20? Is this a joke?

Should be no higher than $20/$10. $15/$7.50 would be more reasonable, though.

Either way, Age of Empires II would be preferable.

I just played my first X-COM game ever, UFO Defense.

I basically had no idea what I was doing. Figured out most of the buttons I guess. I have no idea what any of the equipment actually does or what is worthwhile to even use.
Brought an alien corpse from the first mission into my lab and researched it. Died on the second mission since aliens were hiding in a farmhouse and I suck at strategy games.

I want to figure out most of it on my own, still, any tips (general strategy) for a total beginner?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
2K made a lot of bad decisions with how the treated the first game.

I am pleased with what the new devs have shown of Darkness 2, even though I will forever <3 <3 <3 OG Starbreeze.

The Darkness was awesome and OG Starbreeze was even more awesome!

Chaos

I was hoping for an Anno 2070 sale during the holidays, but no dice. I couldn't even muster up an Ubi coupon. Amazon has it for 38, cheapest I've seen I think...

I was hoping for an Anno sale to but managed to get an ubi discount coupon by trading in the steam trade forum.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Age of Empires 3 is $40, and on sale for $20? Is this a joke?

Should be no higher than $20/$10. $15/$7.50 would be more reasonable, though.

Either way, Age of Empires II would be preferable.

should be 10 cents like last year lol

So how does the Top Sellers section on Steam work? According to that people are snapping Age of Empires III up. First time I've seen Skyrim dislodged from the #1 slot in a while.

I just played my first X-COM game ever, UFO Defense.

I basically had no idea what I was doing. Figured out most of the buttons I guess. I have no idea what any of the equipment actually does or what is worthwhile to even use.
Brought an alien corpse from the first mission into my lab and researched it. Died on the second mission since aliens were hiding in a farmhouse and I suck at strategy games.

Any general tips (general strategy) for a total beginner?

The most important tip for a total beginner is: you're going to lose. Probably dozens of times. And I don't just mean you'll bork a mission and have to recruit a whole new squad (which you will also do dozens of times), I mean you will actually get a GAME OVER state and have to begin again. It's awesome.

Other than that:

- Smoke grenades and flares aren't just for show, you need to use the former to safely move between cover points and the latter so you don't get murdered by aliens you can't see.
- Research research research. Personal Armour and Plasma weapons are where you want to be focusing your r&d and manufacturing at the start.
- Build multiple bases even if some of them only house interceptor class vehicles, otherwise you will miss a lot of attacks and world governments will get mad at you.
- Keep an eye on soldiers who freak out on missions and fire them. Or give them a rocket launcher if you feel sadistic.
- Reserved time-units > Aimed shot. Ambushing aliens is essential to your squad's survival.

Further to the research comment, keep in mind that the game is running on a timer. At set points during that duration the aliens will get tougher; you start out seeing mostly Grays and Hovercraft but that won't last long. This can be a bit frustrating for a new player but the reward is a game which stays extremely fun and challenging at every level, so you won't mind having to start over a million times.

The most important tip for a total beginner is: you're going to lose. Probably dozens of times. And I don't just mean you'll bork a mission and have to recruit a whole new squad (which you will also do dozens of times), I mean you will actually get a GAME OVER state and have to begin again. It's awesome.

Other than that:

- Smoke grenades and flares aren't just for show, you need to use the former to safely move between cover points and the latter so you don't get murdered by aliens you can't see.
- Research research research. Personal Armour and Plasma weapons are where you want to be focusing your r&d and manufacturing at the start.
- Build multiple bases even if some of them only house interceptor class vehicles, otherwise you will miss a lot of attacks and world governments will get mad at you.
- Keep an eye on soldiers who freak out on missions and fire them. Or give them a rocket launcher if you feel sadistic.
- Reserved time-units > Aimed shot. Ambushing aliens is essential to your squad's survival.

Further to the research comment, keep in mind that the game is running on a timer. At set points during that duration the aliens will get tougher; you start out seeing mostly Grays and Hovercraft but that won't last long. This can be a bit frustrating for a new player but the reward is a game which stays extremely fun and challenging at every level, so you won't mind having to start over a million times.
Exactly what I was looking for.
If I use the reserved time-> aimed shot command, doesn't that mean I will only be moving like two tiles each turn?

Exactly what I was looking for.
If I use the reserved time-> aimed shot command, doesn't that mean I will only be moving like two tiles each turn?

It obviously depends on the trooper but yeah it's a little like that. Also if that wasn't clear, try to reserve the time for an auto-shot rather than an aimed- or snap-shot. A single auto-shot is basically three snap-shots in one attack, and from a TU perspective it's easily the most efficient option.

There are obviously going to be times when you need to exhaust a trooper's TUs during your turn, just make sure you don't leave them exposed. Try to always fire from cover (crouching behind chest-high walls old skool style) so that even if you use up all their TUs they won't be completely screwed next turn. Get used to the idea that any trooper you leave out in the open at the end of a turn is dead.

Auto-cannons are a great weapon to take along early in the game. Load them up with high-explosive rounds and hand them out to two troopers in your squad. If you split your strike force up for any reason send one in each direction, assuming they're both still alive. The best thing about the AC with HE ammo is that it opens up new and exciting tactical pathways around the map (i.e. it demolishes buildings nearly as fast as the rocket-launcher but isn't anywhere near as dangerous for the soldier holding it).

Some people like to take some Incendiary rounds along for their ACs but I've never found them very useful for my play-style which is more of a carefully orchestrated shock-and-awe excercise.

Better than dying.

And also this. I think the above rule applies to a lot of the game in general. Getting the Armoured Weapons Platform seems excessive, then your whole squad dies exiting the dropship one mission. You keep forgetting to bring flares then your best soldier gets turned into red mist by a Gray with a pistol.

NBtoaster

AOE3 is great, but a hard sell at 40 or even 20 dollars, after they were willing to practically give it away. The MP is pretty fun though, hope it gets a boost from Steam.

Turfster

Some people like to take some Incendiary rounds along for their ACs but I've never found them very useful for my play-style which is more of a carefully orchestrated shock-and-awe excercise.

But it's fun to set an alien on fire and then watch the entire field he's in go up in flames!

But it's fun to set an alien on fire and then watch the entire field he's in go up in flames!

This is true, I just find that it doesn't compliment my "one shot, one kill" style of play all that well. I like to go big, fuck civilians and their homes, this shit is serious!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AOE3 is great, but a hard sell at 40 or even 20 dollars, after they were willing to practically give it away. The MP is pretty fun though, hope it gets a boost from Steam.

Yeah, a base price of $40 is far too high for a game of its age, even with the inclusion of the expansions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, given that the Fable games and now Age of Empires III have now shown up on Steam, I wonder if the upcoming Mircosoft Flight is going to do the same?

Turfster

This is true, I just find that it doesn't compliment my "one shot, one kill" style of play all that well. I like to go big, fuck civilians and their homes, this shit is serious!

Oh yeah, fuck civilians, big time. Building all those hideyholes for the damn aliens.

Hmmm, given that the Fable games and now Age of Empires III have now shown up on Steam, I wonder if the upcoming Mircosoft Flight is going to do the same?

Isn't there a big thing about it being 'better' on GFWL? I doubt they're going to put it on Steam.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh yeah, fuck civilians, big time. Building all those hideyholes for the damn aliens.

Isn't there a big thing about it being 'better' on GFWL? I doubt they're going to put it on Steam.

I did see that there was going to be some GFWL exclusive content in Microsoft Flight, but on the other hand it looks like Microsoft has pretty much waved the white flag when it comes to PC DDS.

Card Boy

Banned

I'm more intrested in Gears of War to be honest, not sure if MS or Epic needs to give permission for that one.

kamspy

So my Steam client was syncing all night and all day today. I've closed it and restarted and it's still syncing.

I'm more intrested in Gears of War to be honest, not sure if MS or Epic needs to give permission for that one.

Everyday it's not on Steam they're turning down free money. I could see a Gears release, maybe even a Gears 2 and 3 port sitting on top of the best sellers chart for a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom