• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

I can only accept or decline at the moment. Too scared to do anything.

Accept it, you can put in your inventory after accepting it. Also if you're worried about it downloading right away, just close the pop up window after it has been redeemed/accepted where it shows the file size. At that stage it is in your library regardless or whether you made it download or not, this applies to non gifts (purchases you make) as well.

Yup, yup I was offered 2 options after accepting it. Either add it to my game library or Steam inventory.I can't believe, fucking dota!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So is it going to be a Steamworks game where the retail key will work on Steam?

No, it'll probably be like Rockstar's latest efforts on Steam and be Steamworks when purchased through Steam and use Gameshield when purchased at retail.

I'm paranoid about this, because a friend just gifted me dota2 but on my alt account. It would sucks ass if it start downloading immediately. I know you have the options with normal games, i dunno about betas though.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have an alt. account on Steam?

Nymerio

I new this would happen as soon as I bought it when it was on sale last month. I ain't even mad though, the game is amazing.

Nymerio

The tutorials are great. I can startup the plane myself
when I have my notes...
and I even managed to land the plane without any tutorial.

The feeling when you finally learned to do some stuff alone is amazing in this game. Really feels like you earned it.

MNC

74 hours into Evochron Mercenary and still a shitload I haven't seen/done, best $12.50 I've ever spent.

Can you give some more impressions? By having "unlimited space" is alot of it relatively empty, or crowded. Are planets crowded or just "there", etc.

Feed me info :D

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-digital-combat-simulator-a-10c-warthog/17-5490/

This will either sell it to you completely, or make you never want to touch it or anything like it ever again.

HOLY SHIT. This is selling me on the game so hard.

Man I JUST realized that the whole "performing first time setup" has gone the way of the dodo. It never hit me until now that I haven't seen it in months.

I give mah soul to Gaben.

Echoplx

Can you give some more impressions? By having "unlimited space" is alot of it relatively empty, or crowded. Are planets crowded or just "there", etc.

Well I played the tutorial and jumped straight into MP with a few friends so I can't really comment on how the SP experience will be but the universe was very filled out, plenty of planets and space stations around but you really never actually go to planets as they are essentially just trade stations that are harder to get to (he's adding more planet content in the coming expansion).

You really just play to advance yourself, earning money to upgrade weapons/components then getting better ship frames to fight tougher enemies and travel to more difficult systems etc. The MP is also great because you can take control of sectors and build stations yourself to boost the economy and get payments. It's actually very active in MP with many clans that have really deep political alliances and wars to control territory, lots of nice people and the PvP scene is fun to get into.

I kinda rambled on there with a general overview of things but yeah, it can be a very casual game but can also be very deep if you want it to be.

See here for info on content he's currently working on http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/development.htm

Wok

Smudged Cat Games ‏ @SmudgedCat

Woo hoo, wasn't sure if I could announce it before but Shuggy will be definitely coming to Steam!

We will soon be able to play The Adventures of Shuggy on Steam. It is about time: this game had several interesting game mechanics, notably a time mechanic similar to Braid's, yet, althrough both games were being developed at the same time, Braid was released before and got all the credits while Shuggy was a commercial failure.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I played the tutorial and jumped straight into MP with a few friends so I can't really comment on how the SP experience will be but the universe was very filled out, plenty of planets and space stations around but you really never actually go to planets as they are essentially just trade stations that are harder to get to (he's adding more planet content in the coming expansion).
What do you mean that you can't go to planets? I thought one of the draws of the game was seamless space-to-planet transition flying, unless I'm confused and thinking of a different game.

kafiend

74 hours into Evochron Mercenary and still a shitload I haven't seen/done, best $12.50 I've ever spent.

I want to love it I really REALLY do. But navigating jumps seemed to incur mostly insta-death by appearing in the middle of planets. After much frustration I put it down :(

Help me?

Echoplx

What do you mean that you can't go to planets? I thought one of the draws of the game was seamless space-to-planet transition flying, unless I'm confused and thinking of a different game.

I didn't say you can't go I just said it's kinda useless going to them at this point as they all just have cities that you trade at. It takes around ~5 minutes to enter the planets atmosphere and travel to the city so it's kind of a waste when you can just jump to a space station instead.

Echoplx

I want to love it I really REALLY do. But navigating jumps seemed to incur mostly insta-death by appearing in the middle of planets. After much frustration I put it down :(

Help me?

You can't jump into or out of a planets atmosphere so you have to set the jump point next to the planet then just fly down (make sure you go in at around 1000 speed or less so you don't explode on entry)

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised I didn't know there was a sequel to Digital coming out, despite the rotten name, I'm really looking forward to playing it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm surprised I didn't know there was a sequel to Digital coming out, despite the rotten name, I'm really looking forward to playing it.
It's not really a sequel from what I gathered from the demo, but more like a continuation of some of Digital's themes. The demo was really good, though there was a lot of reading (for some this may be a bad thing) and the actual game is closer to Don't Take It Personally, Babe than Digital.

PaulLFC

No clue, I haven't seen it in forever. Whenever I discover the reason I'll let you know. I seriously thought it was something Valve did at Steam. =\
Now I think about it, the installing DirectX etc stuff has disappeared for me too. I just get a Preparing to launch box and then the game starts, which is great.

It just sort of happened, I'm not sure what caused it. Have you used Steam Mover at any point? I used that recently, that's the only thing I can think of that may be related, but I don't see how that would cause Steam to change its behaviour like that.

For anyone interested in DCS A-10 I recommend downloading the below document pack that someone in their forums created. It has a lot of great info quickly available at your fingertips.

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/86362/

Also there are some great tutorials on the wiki:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/DCS_A-10C_Guides,_Tutorials_and_Reference_Documents

It takes a bit of time to get used to the game and I would recommend a good HOTAS with a large amount of buttons. I use a Saitek X-52, but my brother has been able to play it with a keyboard and an old ST290 because it lets you bind key modifiers to adjust what the hat does. The real A10-C has about 4 hats that all do different commands so you'll be using the hat switch quite a bit.

Once it clicks, it's a blast to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom