• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ffffffff, one day. This map gets the OCD spinning, I'm always wandering off to 100% random locations. Lol.

The annoying thing is that there are collectibles (vehicle parts, weapon parts and cash stashes), water towers, fuel pumps, etc. scattered throughout non-settlement locations, but as far as I can tell the game offers no hints as to their whereabouts, so I'm not going to bother chasing them down (Edit: You obviously have the proximity indicator for the aforementioned collectibles, but you need to be in the vicinity for it to be of any use). Also, I've read that the world file the game reads from is missing the final water tower that actually adds to the completion percentage, but it can be added via a mod.

Grief.exe

I got about 3 hours into JC2 and put it down.
The Cookie-cutter missions were just too boring.

Jase just powers through that kind of stuff though.

JaseC

Holy shit, how long did that take you? I've played for 25 hours and haven't even discovered most locations yet, let alone 100% them :O

I've been playing on and off for about two years now and Steam says I'm ~120 hours in, but the in-game timer reports around 80-odd hours. Although the game says there are 368 locations, there are actually 369 that add to the counter and many more that don't for seemingly no particular reason.

Avalanche did a rather poor job of ensuring 100% overall completion was viable or even obtainable at all. It would have been nice if, say, collecting all the faction items was tied to reward that gives you location markers for the non-settlement sabotage structures and collectibles.

yea I know. but like the doc suggest, his Store is offline for now :/

Ah sorry about that, Offline just indicates that I'm "offline" and won't be able to send out orders until later when I'm back, sometimes I forget to edit it though :)

Finally we're getting a Steam release of Guacamelee, I'm a sucker for metroidvania(?) games and it seems pretty great.
Now I just need to beat all the other hundred games in my backlog

DukeBobby

I got about 3 hours into JC2 and put it down.
The Cookie-cutter missions were just too boring.

Jase just powers through that kind of stuff though.

That's the same reason I stopped playing. I love to mess around and blow shit up in games, but I need some good missions to go along with it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone thinks that at first. The first part of the game is really about that confusion and discovering the game mechanics. It usually takes 60-90 minutes until it clicks for people. Just watch the reactions in the game to what you are doing closely and you'll eventually get behind it. I really liked the way the game made me explore its mechanics instead of a game world, and it reminded me of the sensations of exploring games back when I wasnt someone who already played what feels like every game concept that ever existed. I guess it just just confuses people because they arent used to exploring mechanics anymore without being guided, which is also why I think its such a terrific little game as it does a remarkably good job at pointing that out. Once you get over that initial phase, it becomes a very challenging, even a bit traditional puzzle game, but I stopped playing then. The highlight was the beginning.

I recommend letting it rest for now and setting aside one hour eventually to just playing around with it when you are in a relaxed and unhurried mood.
I don't know man, it feels really boring. I believe I know what to do with the seeds and all, it's just that I don't feel like waiting for the pink one to grow (why does it have to be so sloooow?), and it's purely trial and error so far.

But yeah, I'll give it another chance someday. I just hope I don't get frustrated.

As soon as you try something that's a little out of the ordinary you're bound to be seen as 'pretentious' by some. I really don't think it is fundamentally though; it's just that a huge part of the experience is finding out stuff for yourself.

Basically it's a game that tries to push the concept of "discovering and understanding the game's mechanics" to its fullest, so you do have to think about what you do and what the consequences are and you'll start to notice the patterns and understand the game's system. And it's not's just an 'experiment', under all that occultism lies a game that you can truly master and is fairly challenging, with elements of puzzle and platforming. Just throw out your expectations of what a game ought to tell you and start thinking! :)
Not at all, and I usually like "artsy" games (quotation marks because I think all games are art -yes, even Bad Rats, which can be considered the Duchamp's Fountain of games). But this one does feel pretentious, and revels in that idea. The devs themselves said so on the Steam forums (which are the Duchamp's Fountain of message boards), so I don't believe I'm being unfair to the game.

To me, this is being obscure for the sake of being obscure. There's a difference between discovering the mechanics and smashing my head against the wall until I manage to proceed by sheer luck. I don't have any problem with the former, even if I'm used to being told pretty much everything in a tutorial, since I can still find out the mechanics if I keep at it (provided that I don't get frustrated with the game's difficulty -I'm looking at you, Dark Souls). It's the latter what bothers me. I don't find that rewarding, I don't think that makes the game fun, and I don't think it adds anything to the experience.

fantomena

Weird. I thought RotT is suppose to unlock when the store updates, but acccording to the store page it unlocks about 2 hours after the normal store update,..

chronomac

Ah sorry about that, Offline just indicates that I'm "offline" and won't be able to send out orders until later when I'm back, sometimes I forget to edit it though :)

Finally we're getting a Steam release of Guacamelee, I'm a sucker for metroidvania(?) games and it seems pretty great.
Now I just need to beat all the other hundred games in my backlog

Is there any way of knowing how cheap something will be in your store before it's released? I'd love Guacamelee.

Sajjaja

Weird. I thought RotT is suppose to unlock when the store updates, but acccording to the store page it unlocks about 2 hours after the normal store update,..

Oh well. Guess we'll just have to wait 2 hours more.

tumblr_m3z8zeqyrz1rvslcr79.gif

Acccent

To me, this is being obscure for the sake of being obscure. There's a difference between discovering the mechanics and smashing my head against the wall until I manage to proceed by sheer luck. I don't have any problem with the former, even if I'm used to being told pretty much everything in a tutorial, since I can still find out the mechanics if I keep at it (provided that I don't get frustrated with the game's difficulty -I'm looking at you, Dark Souls). It's the latter what bothers me. I don't find that rewarding, I don't think that makes the game fun, and I don't think it adds anything to the experience.

It is being obscure for the sake of it, because it's something that you can't find in games today and some people really love it - maybe you're just not among them, that's entirely possible. In the same way that some people like open-world over authored corridors and vice-versa, maybe you just prefer a bit of guidance, when the aim of this game is specifically to provide none at all. But: there is no luck at all, it is pure observation and deduction and assimilation, and the way the game presents more mysteries as you unravel previous ones can be truly engrossing and it shows that it's not just a case of "random game with hidden rules", it's an experience carefully crafted around the concept of discovery. The author knows that when you find out about X, you'll stumble on Y and it will blow your mind.

liezryou

That's the last Castlevania you played?

I really hope not, liezryou, explain yourself.

Yes, Please don't hurt me.

After i failed so miserably at the SNES version back in my childhood i never really had the motivation to pickup another one. My tastes went more towards JRPGs and then eventually into MMORPGs.

I've never played a Castlevania game before.

JaseC in worse castlevania condition then me :D.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

After i failed so miserably at the SNES version back in my childhood i never really had the motivation to pickup another one. My tastes went more towards JRPGs and then eventually into MMORPGs.

You really should have stuck around. The PS1 Castlevania (Symphony of the Night) is widely regarded as not only the best Castlevania game, but one of the best games of that generation.

XShagrath

2ish hours left..

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite -- MB-8E5A485575B98128 - Taken by PriitV

wilflare

is it me or is SteamGifts no longer as popular around GAF anymore
(now that Modbot is here)

and jshackles... Enhanced Steam is wonderful, I hope the Client is as good (SteamGifts should do what you did to filter games)

Grief.exe

JaseC in worse castlevania condition then me :D.

Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night are probably the best Metroidvanias of all time.

And Jase loves Metroidvanias.

My phone always autocorrects Jase to Jade.

liezryou

You really should have stuck around. The PS1 Castlevania (Symphony of the Night) is widely regarded as not only the best Castlevania game, but one of the best games of that generation.

Yeah uhm so i'll just "borrow" it from a friend and then emulate a playstation to play it on my pc before i get started on this lords of shadow then.

gabbo

is it me or is SteamGifts no longer as popular around GAF anymore
(now that Modbot is here)

and jshackles... Enhanced Steam is wonderful, I hope the Client is as good (SteamGifts should do what you did to filter games)

It did seem to drop off a bit post-sale.

Nymphae

Banned

You are really missing out!

And has nobody here played C:LoS yet? Game was meh 3 years ago. Maybe I should give it another shot on PC, but I was pretty unimpressed when I played it on PS3, I just remember lots of God of War style gameplay, and no explorable map.

Does anyone in this thread like getting Steam Achievements?

For some reason I hate Playstation Trophies (used to love them), but now I'm finding Steam achievements fun to go for. Maybe it's because I can feel good even when I don't 100% a game, whereas on the PS3, if I didn't get the platinum trophy, I didn't feel like I was done. Weird.

Fl1pp13

Neo Member

For some reason I hate Playstation Trophies (used to love them), but now I'm finding Steam achievements fun to go for. Maybe it's because I can feel good even when I don't 100% a game, whereas on the PS3, if I didn't get the platinum trophy, I didn't feel like I was done. Weird.

It's quite the opposite for me. I prefer getting trophies over Steam achievements, as I find the comparison with friends easier. Next to that, it's a fun addition that the achievements across all games count towards your level, just like the badges do on Steam.

Grief.exe

And has nobody here played C:LoS yet? Game was meh 3 years ago. Maybe I should give it another shot on PC, but I was pretty unimpressed when I played it on PS3, I just remember lots of God of War style gameplay, and no explorable map.

You would think creating a 3D Castlevania game wouldn't be that difficult.

SotN and Aria of Sorrow are considered the best in the series. Copy that style, large Map, nonlinear progression, items and powers unlock new areas, monster kills give you new magic spells.

Use Dark Souls and Metroid Prime as inspiration.

tjohn86

It's quite the opposite for me. I prefer getting trophies over Steam achievements, as I find the comparison with friends easier. Next to that, it's a fun addition that the achievements across all games count towards your level, just like the badges do on Steam.

I wish they locked down achievements a bit more. I enjoy unlocking them but knowing there is a tool out there to pop anything you want takes some of the fun out.

JaseC

tumblr_mprr0pHvXS1qe8quqo1_250.gif

Next you're gonna tell us you've never played a Metroid before...

Super Metroid is my favourite game of all time!

How is that even possible...

This is actually a very good question. I don't have the answer, though.

And really, this is simply unacceptable. Castlevania is IMHO one of the most consistently good series out there, save for some missteps here and there. Correct this mistake ASAP, Jase.

Well, Lords of Shadow isn't far off. :p I'll dive into the entries Grief mentioned one day.

I love them because on Steam, they are nowhere near as prominent and I don't feel compelled to 100% everything. I hate how Xbox and Playstation are making it the go-to thing for an analysis of what a player put in and got out of a game. Steam analyzes player time, player stats and achievements.

Plus, for some reason they are way more fun to get on the PC. I don't know the reason besides it being my platform of choice. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom