• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Hmm, I really don't care about achievements overall, but for some games I am enjoying I will go and try to do most or the ones that sound fun. The only game I've 100%ed on Steam is Plants vs Zombies. On consoles Uncharted and Batman AA come to mind.

grief2_by_salsasharktopus-d6ft7ij.gif

Hahaha

Can I commit a brief moment of heresy here? I'm a fan of squad tactics games and Frozen Synapse really didn't do it for me. The basics of turn based real time was really cool to me when I first started playing. But in execution I was continually frustrated by the lack of ability to match up what I was planning in the planning stages with what actually played out in the turns. I'm not talking random tactical factors (someone shows up where you did not expect, random rocket splash damage, ect..) those are a fun part of the game. But instead issues more like soldier not firing when they appear to have clear lines of sight, inability to tell when soldiers clear a corner when moving around it, stuff like that. Even with the preview turn button I kept running into these types of issues that hurt my enjoyment of the game. I enjoyed a few hours of it, but I dropped it after that and didn't feel a big need to go back to it.

Yeah that's why I stopped playing too. Most of the time when I ordered my guys to round a corner where I knew an enemy would be it seemed like it would be up to the RNG gods whether or not my guys would shoot first. Even if the scenario was switched and I was the one around the corner waiting for the enemy to come, the AI would walk around and shoot me first!

I eventually figured out a way to trick the AI by using bait tactics. I would command one guy to round the corner and keep walking, while my second guy would be a half second behind him to shoot at the AI while he was aiming at the first guy. Still it hurt my enjoyment of the game when it seemed like I made tactical decisions but it was ultimately up to rng to decide who shoots first. Maybe I was playing it wrong?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No! Buy the Carpe Fulgur Collection instead. ;)
This man knows how to play the Steam game.

I'm waiting for an 80% off sale. It has to happen.

I have a small pet peeve here :

naamloosqsb39.png

Generally .most of the time steam puts games in the right order .but it got it wrong on these three.

broken sword Shadow of the Templar should be first before the smoking mirror.

Now i realize this is a small issue but i like my games to be the right order .

Anyway to fix this ?
It's a good thing your pic is blocked here. I hate hate HATE this. Almost at the "create new Steam account and get banned from GAF" level.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WHat are you gonna do when he really stops? I know you have bought a lot from him due to the extremely high AUS tax rates.

I suppose I'll look into Dota 2/TF2 key trading myself. I was going to get my feet wet with Saw prior to the Summer Sale, but I ultimately figured the $40+ it would've cost me in TF2 keys would be better spent on buying many games I'd never play rather than one. ;)

garath

When did Steam decide that Daily deals are 48 hours? That's pretty cool. My friend thought he missed Recettear but snagged it today. I see Frozen Synapse timer is 48 hours too.

God Dammit. I wanted to buy XCOM Declassified from him :(
Any cheap way to buy it?

Maybe

When did Steam decide that Daily deals are 48 hours? That's pretty cool. My friend thought he missed Recettear but snagged it today. I see Frozen Synapse timer is 48 hours too.

Since Summer Seal ended, they've made all 'daily deals', 'two day daily deals'. They just aren't on the front page after the first day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I think it was initially a mistake due to how Dailies work in the Summer Sale (Giana Sisters was originally supposed to end after 24 hours as per the news post), but it seems the decision was made to apply this across the board.

AlexBasch

Rushed through Tomb Raider 2013 and I'm near the end, been really enjoying it.

Best of all, the "exclusive fullscreen" feature is pretty useful, wish more games would use this, my PC is connected through HDMI to my TV and sometimes I need to pause and check back and forth.

For some reason, Sleeping Dogs resizes itself after a while and stops detecting my DualShock3, and Space Marine has missing textures, bummer.

Copons

Ok, I bought Recettear despite having Civ5 and XCOM still to install.

I've tried it for 5 minutes, then I checked and it passed like 2 hours.

I think...

ad-huge-mistake-10.gif

(just because Gob gif is too mainstream)

Salsa

skullgirls goes up tomorrow huh

all these indie game pages going up are trying to keep my eyes off the real prize

spelunky-concepts.png

stop it steam stop it

Nabs

Rayman Legends has been added to the registry.

It looks like the extra copy of Origins may happen as well.

Rayman Legends Preorder:

Apps in this package
Game Rayman Legends 2 minutes ago
Game Rayman Origins (Rayman® Origins) 2 months ago

chronomac

It looks like the extra copy of Origins may happen as well.

Rayman Legends Preorder:

Apps in this package
Game Rayman Legends 2 minutes ago
Game Rayman Origins (Rayman® Origins) 2 months ago

A preorder bonus, huh? Kind of wish I had waited on that one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cloudberry kingdom sucks eggs imho

from the XBLA thread:
I had a very bad time with Cloudberry Kingdom. Levels are short and not particularly interesting. Like, the geometry and the patterns repeat very commonly, the variety of obstacles (at least in the demo) is quite low--you've got pop-up spikes, moving platforms, fire fingers, ball and chains, lasers, falling blocks, and pits obviously. They really feel randomly generated. Stuff kinda doesn't fit together all that well. I mean it's all playable, it's doable, I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it just doesn't feel memorable. No one is ever going to step away from this game and say "That was a neat little section".

Jumping and horizontal movement sucks, characters are ugly, customizations are ugly, sound effects suck, the music really sucks--it feels like "nerd music" to me. Not nerd music as in chiptune or electronic, I love electronic music. Hell, I love dubstep. But it feels like low-key uninteresting My First Track techno. Just really unprovocative and unengaging.

The difficulty level ramp is kind of neat, but ultimately the controls don't support wanting to play a masochistically hard level the way Super Meat Boy's fluidity does. I played with the free play mode on maximum difficulty or whatever, and I died between 3 and 10 times in a level.

I dunno, I guess I just got absolutely nothing out of it. I like platformers, I like difficulty, I like randomly generated content. I just didn't like this.

Salsa

Aren't all the levels from Origins already included in Legends? In that case I don't really see the point of giving Origins as a pre-order incentive.

just a few

Yeah, but the article made it sound like a Uplay exclusive.

ew, missed that. good to know

im expecting Legends to be drm-free (well, you know what I mean) too. Too bad they wont go as far as make it steamworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom