• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love Steam to allow for custom naming or library order sorting via changing the integer that each titles appears at. Baby steps, we might get it by 2040.

Hahahaha now I've got the Theme from Shaft stuck in my head.

I've said it before...this is my no.1 most wanted feature for a new Steam Client. I would still keep MGR is all caps though.

"shut yo mouth"

Not Steam related but is anyone else getting a lot of 408 Request Timeout error while browsing GAF?

Yeah. F5'ing seems to get past it sometimes.

Nabs

New crates? Time to play some TF2 this weekend
I have a problem

Going to petition the mods for a rule that means no-one can talk about getting into the streaming beta because it makes me feel left out when I have a giant need for it right now.

Are you 100% sure you're not in the beta? Join the Client beta and check your settings window to be sure.

Ban Puncher

Binary Domain is mediocre in a lot of respects, Sonic Racing Transformed, on the other hand, has moved plenty of copies on the platform.

BArFt.gif

Hasney

Are you 100% sure you're not in the beta? Join the Client beta and check your settings window to be sure.

Everyone keeps saying that got an email which is why I feel left out right now.

I'll check when I get home though. Already on the beta client so hopefully it's there and ready.

Glass Rebel

That's my next major purchase behind Occulus Rift and a new TV. I use 3D Vision, so I need the Rift before changing my monitor (unless I saw a good deal on a 120Hz 4k) and I'm still in the dark ages TV wise with a 720p fossil.

I want a Rift so bad. Hoping for good support, build quality and affordability.

I was talking about Downsampling! But yeah, we all need to upgrade.

Oh. Well that shouldn't be a problem then.

Could somebody give me a brief opinion of the games in this Bundle Stars? I'm not entirely a hardcore RPG fan but I do like some such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher and others similar in style. I really dislike turn-based RPG however.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with Grief. Big Bomain was mediocre in some aspects. But the game was goddamned great. Some parts were far from amazing, but in general the game's dope as fuck and everyone should play it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just beat Binary Domain a week ago, here was my impressions:

Just beat Binary Domain. I had played a bit of it on the 360, but not too much, so most of this was my first time going through it.

So some quick impressions.

header_292x136.jpg

I like it! I honestly think it's a steal at its sale-reduction price of $3.74. It's got fun gameplay, it has an interesting story with characters you come to like, it has good music, and it's not a bad looker either.I'm not saying it's the most amazing games ever or anything, but I felt it was a very confident third-person shooter, and better than a lot of other third person shooters I have played. Lasts about 9-10 hours, took over 10 myself but I was playing on the default hardest difficulty.

Gameplay is mostly typical third-person shooter fair. You have cover, you have guns, you have enemies... But there's a few fun twists introduced here. One sort of staple one is the roll dodge, but I liked how they executed it. You aren't invincible, and it isn't so fast or moves you so far its cheap. It's fairly balanced, and definitely useful when you master it, but takes a bit of practice to get it down. The enemies in the game are robots, and as such they are can be and are shot to pieces, usually involving you shooting their 'armor' and then their 'core'. Headshots aren't death for most robots, and instead will just make them 'mindless' so that they start shooting their comrades. It can be fun to cause enemies havoc by turning various enemies in the room in 'mindless' robots so that they all start attacking each other. There's 10 bosses in the game, and I had fun with all of them. Some of the later ones are kinda bullet-sponges (at least on hard difficulty), but I had fun regardless.

The game also has mechanics involving your team. You have various team members, and various times in the game you are allowed to pick who you go into a level with. But this doesn't just change things on a gameplay level, but also changes the complete dialogue and look into the characters you get into that stage. You can give commands to your team, either through voice commands with a mic or prompts you can choose between. And each team member has a certain liking of you, which is decreased or increased by how you respond to them, how you treat them, if you shoot them in gameplay, if you get headshots with them near, if you help them out, if they suggest an idea if you follow it or not, etc. This is also effected by choices that happen in the story. These Team Choices ultimately can make different characters and events transpire, change dialogue in stages (which is well done, in my opinion as they seem to have dialogue for every possible combination of characters), and change you between the game's three endings.

The story is also nice. I ended up liking every character, most of the cutscenes felt like a treat to watch, and there were some good funny moments and dramatic moments throughout. The story gets a bit hammy quite often, but in such a way its enjoyable, B-grade fair with some more intelligence and tact to it.

I'd say even if you have only a passing interest in third-person shooters to buy the game when it;s on sale for $3.74, it really is a steal for that price.

Glass Rebel

Binary Domain is great. The only mediocre thing about it are its sales. ;_;

Gave me more feels than The Last of Us. Big Bo >>> Ellie.

I kid. sorta

Jawmuncher

Binary Domain is mediocre in a lot of respects.

Grief.exe I love ya man but no just no to that.
But regardless I signed the petition as well and even helped with it on twitter. Companies at least are slowly realizing even late ports to PC are very profitable. So hopefully sega starts taking the hint. At this point there's no reason for third party to ignore PC releases.

Khronico

Could somebody give me a brief opinion of the games in this Bundle Stars? I'm not entirely a hardcore RPG fan but I do like some such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher and others similar in style. I really dislike turn-based RPG however.

Two Worlds 2 is an extremely janky open world RPG with charm (I really liked it).

Two Worlds 1 is supposed to be pretty bad, haven't played it.

Enclave is supposed to be pretty fun from what I've heard.

Gorky 17 I have no idea.

Septerra Core is a PC only JRPG in the vein of FF7.

Arthea

Septerra Core is turn based, it's kinda wannabe FF game, not a bad one. All others are ARPGs, except Gorky17. Gorky17 is kinda a hard game to like even if you like games like this, and it's TRPG, you most likely would hate it.
TW games is kinda stupid fun, it works for some people and annoys others, you might like it.
I can't say much about Enclave, except that I'm not so sure it's an RPG at all. I thought it was an action game.

Two Worlds 2 is an extremely janky open world RPG with charm (I really liked it).

Two Worlds 1 is supposed to be pretty bad, haven't played it.

Enclave is supposed to be pretty fun from what I've heard.

Gorky 17 I have no idea.

Septerra Core is a PC only JRPG in the vein of FF7.

Septerra Core is turn based, it's kinda wannabe FF game, not a bad one. All others are ARPGs, except Gorky17. Gorky17 is kinda a hard game to like even if you like games like this, and it's TRPG, you most likely would hate it.
TW games is kinda stupid fun, it works for some people and annoys others, you might like it.
I can't say much about Enclave, except that I'm not so sure it's an RPG at all. I thought it was an action game.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Man, I love Steam.

I have had a hard run of luck with a horrible landlord not providing heat or water for weeks so I have to move. That brings on expenses that I had to pay for moving so I can't really afford games right now.
So I want to buy $20 worth of Pinball Arcade tables and I thought I couldn't get it for months.
Then I remembered that Steam cards exist... I just sold a bunch of them and I'm already halfway there!

Bless you, Steam!

Twentieth

Has anyone picked up Groupee's Retro Bundle? I want Pineapple Smash Crew and Two Brothers, but I'm not sure what else I should pick. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Gvaz

Banned

Two Worlds is "plain" but one of those, so bad it ends up being good. If you don't laugh at them trying to be serious and failing at FORSOOTH THE TAINT and other such goofy attempts at being YE OLD ENGLISH then you're probably a bitter old man.

Two Worlds 2 is basically, "okay we heard your complaints, lets fix somethings" but they did it in an ME1-ME2 sort of way, where they threw out the baby with the bathwater, removing everything that was awesome. Primarily, the story has more attention, but now it's just goddamn tryhard and it's fuckin boring. It has some humor, the main character still says goofy things at times, but it's toned down sadly (the first game he'd get into battle with some wolves and say "MMM BANDITS" or "looks like my in-laws") Combat is a little better, inventory is worse. They tried to appeal to the console users who complained the hardest.

Septerra Core is made by the same guys who did FEAR, and then never made another rpg. it's kind of like, imagine if fallout was a JRPG. That's mostly what the game feels like. it's not a bad game, and the plot is interesting, but it's really clunky. Then again, I have small amounts of patience for games pre-2000.

Never played enclave or gorky.

Hasney

Has anyone picked up Groupee's Retro Bundle? I want Pineapple Smash Crew and Two Brothers, but I'm not sure what else I should pick. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Gobliiins is a fantastic point and click game, Irem Arcade Hits has a lot of fun games and I've heard good things about Saturday morning RPG.

The rest I'm not sure on.

I've got about 15 hours in Spelunky and have only reached the jungle a handful of times. I'm so bad at this game!
At some point, it clicks. And getting to the jungle is a breeze. It'll be a while before you get to the ice caves, which aren't tough so long as you have a cape/jet pack. Just play once or twice a day and it'll happen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Binary Domain is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Also the story implementation is terrific. My ending was really rewarding and stuck with me for a long time after. I can't say that about many games.

Deadbeat

Banned
17 minutes to judgement. I ate some of the waffles I made yesterday. The trick is to use flavored coffee creamer for the water (ex Irish Cream).
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brothers -- MB-053C899A43AD2AFA - Taken by Shalashaska. 68 entrants total.

t1390492115z1.png

After playing Sonic Adventure DX from Steam I'd almost want someone else to port their work :/ Still signed though cause lawd I'm jonesing for Sega lately.

Jet SET RADIOOOOOOO

HoosTrax

This Hyper Fighters game sounds like a budget version of Ace Combat: AH, with hilariously lo-fi textures...

ss_b7eebccb4745d8ccf82f17ba1ad882effb9fed34.1920x1080.jpg

Step 1: GIS "rust texture"
Step 2: slap on plane model

Not really, the complete loss of a foreboding atmosphere and the bland level design in RE5 separate them quite a bit.
Resident Evil 5 is just dull and uninspired all-around. The only fun quirk that came out it was that massive chain gun you could unlock for Chris. Not due to the weapon itself being that overpowered or that fun, but because its ammunition backpack rendered you invulnerable to 99% of enemy attacks in the game. Couldn't be grabbed from behind by the chainsaw zombie or those cricket bugs, Lickers couldn't touch you with their tongue, no fucks given about bullets and not even rockets affected you. I've been jokingly considering doing a co-op playthrough from beginning to end with me walking backwards the entire time, effectively acting as manually moveable cover, just to get a bit of amusement out of an otherwise completely forgettable game.

shit we are getting a biblical amount of snow.

17 minutes to judgement. I ate some of the waffles I made yesterday. The trick is to use flavored coffee creamer for the water (ex Irish Cream).

holy shit that's a good idea. We usually use greek yogurt

I hear rymdkapsel is a legitimately great game, regardless of its origin. We'll see at what price it launches though. The iOS version is $3.99.

Sad thing is, the game was just in a Android bundle....with Kingdom Rush. Chance of Steam key is < 0%

According to Polygon its going to cost $7.99 and has new missions, 2 additional game modes and 2 new maps along with.an extended soundtrack.

Will wait for sale.

Acccent

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253790/

rymdkapsel is now up on Steam.

On a side note I am really hating all of these phone games coming to Steam.

imo this kind of argument is absolutely dumb - look at Year Walk, Super Hexagon or Sword & Sworcery... there are plenty of incredible games that were first conceived for phones, just like there are ton of PC games that are absolutely atrocious. Would one complain that a phone port of a PC game somehow 'sullies' the platform or something?

Anyway, Rymdkapsel is absolutely great and I encourage everyone to play it, particularly if they add modes (although part of me liking it was because I could launch it in bed, not sure it'd grab my attention so effectively on a PC.)

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 5 is just dull and uninspired all-around. The only fun quirk that came out it was that massive chain gun you could unlock for Chris. Not due to the weapon itself being that overpowered or that fun, but because its ammunition backpack rendered you invulnerable to 99% of enemy attacks in the game. Couldn't be grabbed from behind by the chainsaw zombie or those cricket bugs, Lickers couldn't touch you with their tongue, no fucks given about bullets and not even rockets affected you. I've been jokingly considering doing a co-op playthrough from beginning to end with me walking backwards the entire time, effectively acting as manually moveable cover, just to get a bit of amusement out of an otherwise completely forgettable game.

Resident Evil 5 is my favorite game from last gen.
I honestly prefer it in just about every way to RE4. Mainly since gameplay wise it was what a sequel should be. Familiar but expanded upon the original greatly. Also I have always preferred Chris to Leon. Makes me sad that so many people dislike it just like RE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom