• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Announces Family Sharing

Maybe I'm reading wrong but this sounds nothing like what MS proposed. It's sharing on the same device, which PS4 and X1 already have.

Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play.

Sounds nice and solid. Allows for convenience of trying games out, locks it down enough that it can't really be overused, but is still fair.

tumblr_mbwr97AsJE1r8l821o1_400.gif

Yeah, must have been nice mailing games back and forth.

This is nothing like borrowing a physical copy from someone, come on man.

Think I might have misread the article, by shared device does it mean a single PC with a Steam account, or multiple PCs? If the former, is that not just a sub-account system?

rabhw

I could be reading it wrong but this sounds like it is for sharing a library on a single device, and not to allow you to give your buddy access to your library on HIS computer.

This doesn't sound like too big a deal, more like a multi profile system for a single computer to allow for separate achievements etc.

Well that sounds vaguely familiar. "Family", 10 people, not at the same time. Gee, I wonder how they'll make sure that two people aren't playing the same game at the same time. What a draconian, anti-consumer move....

Do you have to be online even when not sharing? No? Ok.

So this can't be used to co-op a game if I'm reading it right?

Nope.

In fact it seems like only one person can be using someone's library at a time. So if you have my account authorized on your machine and start playing Portal 2, but I log onto my account to play Left4Dead 2, even though they're separate games, it will still kick you off after a few minutes since simultaneous use of someone's library is not allowed.

Regardless, this is awesome and totally a step in the right direction. As someone who has 350 Steam games, I'm pretty sure my brother is going to be very excited he can play a bunch of my games.

Does this play nice with Steam's offline mode?

I highly doubt it, else how can they ensure only one person can use someone's library at a time? I would assume that if you go offline even when playing a single player game from someone else's library it will kick you out (probably after a set period of time). You also won't be able to start a game that you don't own while offline. So if you want offline access to a game, you need to pay for that game. Makes sense.

vio

It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

Seems like a fellow GAFer has to use same pc if u want to share games. Or am i understanding this wrong?

Maybe I'm reading wrong but this sounds nothing like what MS proposed. It's sharing on the same device, which PS4 and X1 already have.

I wouldn't say so if the FAQ is accurate...

s there a limit to the number of devices I can authorize to share my Library?
Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you can share games on ten different devices.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A shame.

It's still a great feature but co-op is the way I'd want to use it.

It'd be a neat loophole, but it would effectively kill the benefit of co-op to the publisher -- that they get a second sale.

Interfectum

I could be reading it wrong but this sounds like it is for sharing a library on a single device, and not to allow you to give your buddy access to your library on HIS computer.

This doesn't sound like too big a deal, more like a multi profile system for a single computer to allow for separate achievements etc.

How much did you read?

Is there a limit to the number of devices I can authorize to share my Library?
Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

I love this idea. I've got a super vast library of Steam games that I rarely touch. I'd love to share them with my brother who can't afford a lot of games.

Randdalf

All they need to do now is a button to convert your Steam games into vouchers that can be sold on the community marketplace.

ultron87

So if you're playing any shared game you'll get booted if the original owner starts up some random other game? That kind of limits how useful this is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So if you're playing any shared game you'll get booted if the original owner starts up some random other game? That kind of limits how useful this is.

If it was per game, no one would buy games anymore. They have to keep a reasonable from a publisher standpoint.

Timeaisis

NOT the same device people!

Is it or isn't it? I'm getting mixed signals. The first time I read the FAQ, it seemed like you can do multiple devices. The second time, it seemed like you could only do one.

I'm not sure what to think about this. The message is a little cloudy.

Top Bottom