• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Family Sharing Thread: Share games that you will never play.

Valtýr

Kinda sucks that the library can't be access by multiple people at the same thing (owner and shared). Hopefully Valve receives enough feedback and changes that policy.

Saty

So now the beta has been extended, who's going to 'take the plunge' and give his Steam password for fellow GAF-er to enable the sharing. Remote-controlling is the safer option i think.

Sanjay

Just shared my library and a mate is playing my games, feels good.

Same here, this Steam Family share is too good to be true in its current state.

Valtýr;85798813 said:
Kinda sucks that the library can't be access by multiple people at the same thing (owner and shared). Hopefully Valve receives enough feedback and changes that policy.

Well you only have one copy, it makes sense, but remember there's always offline mode.

Cronen

I am wondering if GAF will be able to help, or have any ideas that a friend and I are having.

We have authorized my PC on his account, and I have access to his games and am in the process of installing a few right now. Awesome!

However, we has authorized his PC on my account (and I can see this in the Family Sharing settings), yet my games are not appearing on his steam account. He's tried restarting Steam, we have tried re-authorizing his machine on my account, but still no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Cloak

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or not understanding something here on how this works exactly.

I got accepted to the beta, so now I see under Steam > Settings > Account (tab) > Manage Family Sharing & Devices. I went to my brother's computer, signed into Steam with my credentials, and added his PC to my list of devices (It shows up with his PC name and Authorized, not used yet).

So I sign out and have my brother sign in, but he doesn't see anything to do with my library. I'ts probably some thing stupid I'm missing, but every time I search for an answer, I keep getting everybody referencing the Steam page with the FAQ, and that is not answering my question.

Cartman86

Banned
Same here, this Steam Family share is too good to be true in its current state.

Well you only have one copy, it makes sense, but remember there's always offline mode.

I lend a friend a GTA V disc for 360 and I continue to play a Saints Row 4 disc on my 360. That scenario is not possible using Steam Family Sharing. Any game I start to play will kick someone off no matter what they are playing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I lend a friend a GTA V disc for 360 and I continue to play a Saints Row 4 disc on my 360. That scenario is not possible using Steam Family Sharing. Any game I start to play will kick someone off no matter what they are playing.

But with Steam you're also borrowing the platform. It's like giving your friend your 360 and all your games and then being upset that you can't boot up Saints Row 4. (I recognize your PC is still there, but your PC is not the platform here.)

I really don't think Valve is going to implement a system that gives any more leeway than the one they have currently does. They still want to push you to buy games every once and a while.

Irish

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is the way it only lists a game once in your entire set of libraries. So, for instance, Friend A owns Borderlands 2 and Friend B owns it as well, but Steam only lists it under Friend B's account, so I can't play co-op with Friend B because it always kicks me out of his library.

Timeless

I don't think I got any notification or email for this, but I'm in the beta after joining the group for it a while ago. Check Steam -> settings -> manage family sharing and devices.

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is the way it only lists a game once in your entire set of libraries. So, for instance, Friend A owns Borderlands 2 and Friend B owns it as well, but Steam only lists it under Friend B's account, so I can't play co-op with Friend B because it always kicks me out of his library.

Is this still an issue? All my friends do is play Awesomenauts. That would be a major bummer if we can't do that and participate in sharing as well.

edit: How can I authenticate other computers without giving away my login information?

Zafir

I don't think I got any notification or email for this, but I'm in the beta after joining the group for it a while ago. Check Steam -> settings -> manage family sharing and devices.

Is this still an issue? All my friends do is play Awesomenauts. That would be a major bummer if we can't do that and participate in sharing as well.

edit: How can I authenticate other computers without giving away my login information?
Still an issue. As an example I've got two friends with Resident Evil: Revelations, but it's only listed under one of them.

As for your second question, there isn't a way apart from going to their house, logging into your account on their computer and authenticating it there and then.

It's worth noting you can just change your password to something, give it to the person, let them sign in, and then when they're done authenticating you can just change it back to what you had it as.

Syril

I'm confused here, they say that you authorize another computer to share your games, but don't you authorize specific accounts to share with too? restricting it to x account on y computer seems excessive.

Gintoki

Is there a bug on games bought as a collection? I've bought the Sonic Collection a while ago and I can't seem to share the games.

Zafir

Is there a bug on games bought as a collection? I've bought the Sonic Collection a while ago and I can't seem to share the games.

Not sure regarding collections, but some games can't be shared. Could be that rather than an issue with collections.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
My shared games won't stayed shared for more than a few days, anyone else having this issue? Or is this normal?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any answers for this question? Otherwise, how does Steam know what's the master account/owner?

Devices have to be manually authorised, including your usual PC, at which point the libraries of accounts local to that PC that have Family Sharing and have authorised said system are automatically shared.

Exuro

My shared games won't stayed shared for more than a few days, anyone else having this issue? Or is this normal?
I've also been having this issue. My brother has informed me that he could only purchase my games and I've just had that happen to me with his games. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

C4rter

I have the same problem with the shared game from a friend of mine. Every so often I lose the connection to his library. Because I have one game of him installed, I still see this game in my library and can ask for new access to his library. Once he grants it, I can again see everything. Don't know what's causing this, he's not having problems with my library.

Timeless

I play Awesomenauts on a team of me, Bob, and Charlie.

I shared my Steam library with Bob today. Surprisingly, we could still play Awesomenauts! The glitch where it would count Bob's Awesomenauts game as belonging to me (preventing us from playing at the same time) is no longer present!

JakeD

ok quick couple questions. im usually really good at this stuff, but for some reason this is making my head hurt.

my friend in real life wants to play my copy of The Wolf Among Us. we are steam friends. i got into the family sharing beta.

am i supposed to log into steam on his computer, opt in to the beta client, and authorize that computer? then i can log out and he will have access to my games? if thats so, how do i get access to his games, if hes not in the beta?

does he really get booted out of The Wolf Among Us if i try to boot ANY game from my library? i figured it would only be if i tried to play TWAU...

i swear i've read the FAQs like four times and can't get my head around this thing...

PriitV

ok quick couple questions. im usually really good at this stuff, but for some reason this is making my head hurt.

my friend in real life wants to play my copy of The Wolf Among Us. we are steam friends. i got into the family sharing beta.

am i supposed to log into steam on his computer, opt in to the beta client, and authorize that computer? then i can log out and he will have access to my games? if thats so, how do i get access to his games, if hes not in the beta?

does he really get booted out of The Wolf Among Us if i try to boot ANY game from my library? i figured it would only be if i tried to play TWAU...

i swear i've read the FAQs like four times and can't get my head around this thing...

He will get access to your games if you authorize your library on his pc, you will not get access to his library in return. Your steps are correct.

He will be given 5 minutes to get out of the game when you launch a game from your library, not limited to TWAU.

Gangxxter

So, if I'm not mistaken, Family Sharing left Beta a few days ago and is now available to everyone. Do you still need to be part of the Family Sharing Group in order to use that feature?

And is there a way to remotely authorize a machine?

Zafir

So, if I'm not mistaken, Family Sharing left Beta a few days ago and is now available to everyone. Do you still need to be part of the Family Sharing Group in order to use that feature?

And is there a way to remotely authorize a machine?
It should just be in the steam settings, yes.

If you're meaning sharing with people who you don't live in travel distance, you need just trust them with your password/account and let them log in as you, and vice versa. Changing your password for it works, but you still need to trust them enough to log in to your account without your supervision, naturally.

If you mean authorising your machine somewhere where you aren't, no, you have to be logged in and on it to authorise it.

Gangxxter

Okay, thanks for the info!

I was expecting that there is no way to remotely authorize a machine. But I thought I read somewhere it's also possible via email.

I'll try to share my library with a good friend at his place this weekend. Curious how things will work out.

My wife saw me playing desktop dungeons and is now addicted to it. I had her set up a steam account so that I could share it with her. Now she can play it from her account, but then when I start up a different game, it kicks her out.

Am I doing something wrong here?

My wife saw me playing desktop dungeons and is now addicted to it. I had her set up a steam account so that I could share it with her. Now she can play it from her account, but then when I start up a different game, it kicks her out.

That's the way it works. When you're on the person sharing your library gets kicked off.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Nope. Working as intended. Only one of you can play games from your account at a time. It doesn't care that you are trying to play different games, all it looks at is which account the game came from.

Sendou

So would two users be able to "cross-link" their libraries meaning that they could access games the other one owned at the same time? Inversely would they be able to access games they both own without kicking anyone out? Not the best explanation but hopefully someone understands what I mean.

Yeah it is but I guess it's an attempt by Valve not to make this feature too powerful or something.

Was hoping the 10 person 5 device limit did that. I was rather hoping that they were going to run with the logic that if a family has 2 Nintendos, and 10 games, that the family could play any 2 games at the same time, just not the same game in two different places.

Top Bottom