• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam for Linux officially released, Team Fortress 2 Penguin item, 50-75% off sale

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=9955

In 1991, Linus Torvalds left a ham sandwich in his bathroom, and when he came back two weeks later, discovered that he'd accidentally invented penicillin and Linux. Just think what would have happened if Linus Torvalds hadn’t waited two weeks to go to the bathroom. It’s thanks to his enormous digestive tract that we have Linux today.

But of course, anybody who’s gone to history class knows that story. What’s less well known is Linus Torvalds’ last words as he lay dying from septic necrosis: “I decree Linux free to all, with no rules! Save one,” he whispered, his voice becoming raspy and Sarumanesque. “NEVER, EVER allow Team Fortress 2 on my precious operating system! Keep it secret from them! Keep it safe!” (Note: start playing this now.)

And so TF2 fell into shadow. Or so Linux Torvalduman thought. Luckily a band of hobbits snuck past his ghostly burning eye-building and did something important, and wept and cradled each other and swore oaths of fealty, and there was some lava and, anyway, Team Fortress 2 is now on Linux and we're giving away items to anybody who tries it, bringing to a close this epic trilogy of paragraphs.

theend.png

lmbo

Burekma

For people with AMD cards that can't run Source games because of an OpenGL error, if your card is a 4XXX card or older, AMD considers those "Legacy" cards, and they won't be getting anymore driver updates. Which is terrible because my Radeon 4850 runs Source great in Windows but not at all in Linux. If you uninstall the proprietary driver, then Ubuntu should use the open source driver and you will be able to run TF2. However, the performance will be terrible, so I suggest getting the penguin and then uninstalling TF2.

Yep. Took me 4 hours yesterday to learn that these "legacy" drivers don't work well with 3.5+ kernel, which I use. And I had similar problems when W8 was still in beta, there were no legacy drivers for the OS yet, had to use some poor performing generic garbage. Such bullshit too, my 4890 can easily run all multiplatform games maxed out @ 1080p (except the dx11 stuff) and it's already "legacy"? Really?

Trash company, I'm glad they'll soon be gone.

washboardplayer

Neo Member
Are people running 32 or 64-bit versions of ubuntu? It seems archaic to me to install a 32-bit OS in 2013, but I have been having issues getting my 560ti working, and wondering whether I should be running 32-bit instead.

the doll isn't tradable ? will it be in the future ? Don't we know yet ?
Team Fortress 2, the Free to Play game, is also now available on Steam for Linux. For a limited time, Steam users who play the game on Linux will automatically receive a free, exclusive in-game item: Tux, the Linux mascot, can be carried by any of the game’s classes and traded between players. Additional Valve titles available on Steam for Linux include Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.6, and Counter-Strike: Source.
It will be tradable, eventually.

*The source is the Steam news page.

Wok

Are people running 32 or 64-bit versions of ubuntu? It seems archaic to me to install a 32-bit OS in 2013, but I have been having issues getting my 560ti working, and wondering whether I should be running 32-bit instead.

Steam does not run on 64 bits. I have met lots of problems when trying to find and install a 64 bits build.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Steam runs fine on my 64-bit installation. I don't know if there's a 64 bit version though.

benjipwns

Banned
Steam works just fine on a 64-bit OS. There's just no 64-bit executable of Steam (on any platform that I'm aware of), it was put on their "to do" list like a decade ago but isn't a real priority.

Madtown_

I have a relatively fresh 64 bit install of 12.10, can't get Steam up and running.
I was able to make an account, since then, nothing. Now If I try to boot it up, it crashes, apparently once it signs in or while signing in.

I have Radeon 78XX GPU, so that may be the problem. I've installed the proprietary beta drivers. Anyone in a similar situation?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you're having driver problems I feel bad for you son, I got 76 problems but a driver ain't one.

Wok

I have a relatively fresh 64 bit install of 12.10, can't get Steam up and running.
I was able to make an account, since then, nothing. Now If I try to boot it up, it crashes, apparently once it signs in or while signing in.

I was in your case as well. I downloaded the 32 bits version of Ubuntu 12.10, and all my linux problems were solved. It is just not worth trying to install Steam on the 64 bits version.

Think about it: http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/steam

Exuro

Got my penguin and deleted Ubuntu. Pain in the ass to get working properly. Don't know why it's so popular with the number of issues I had.

washboardplayer

Neo Member
Okay, I managed to get steam up and running on ubuntu 12.10 64-bit with no issues.

For the benefit of people with newer nvidia graphics cards having trouble getting the proprietary display drivers working, I thought I would post this link. This solved all the issues I was having with my 560ti.

Top Bottom