• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine alternatives for playing Fallout 4?

Piggus

I wouldn't suggest the Alpha, honestly, unless it works with that external GPU thing that Alienware has. If you don't want to build, buy a pre-built mini-ITX PC so you can upgrade the GPU later.

SURGEdude

I'm a life-long console gamer who's never owned a gaming PC (I've only ever owned Macs), but I'm tempted to finally make the plunge into getting a Windows gaming rig for Fallout 4.

Unfortunately, I don't know shit about building PCs, so just grabbing a bunch of parts from Newegg and bolting them together by myself is out of the question - for a while, it seemed like the Steam Machines were the answer to my prayers, but since no one seems to know if Fallout 4 will even be published for Steam OS (to say nothing of how half the reason of getting a gaming PC would be so I can finally play everything on Steam and not be tied to a niche OS), I'm back to square one.

So, what pre-built Windows gaming rigs would you guys recommend? Ideally, I'm looking for something that can run Fallout 4 on better-than-console settings and that can be easily hooked up to a TV for play with a controller (really, I'm just looking for a beefy gaming console in the shape of a PC).

Anyone have recommendations?

And for reference, here are the recommended specs for Fallout 4:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Buy a pre-made hackintosh off of eBay. They are great options for Mac users who want to get into PC gaming but not have the hassle of more machines than they need.

The next PC I build I will take my own advice since I can't justify an iMac, and Macbook, and a gaming PC to meet my needs.

I am no expert but the alienware PCs I looked at seemed a bit pricey. If you make note of all the parts in a given alienware PC, then go to a site like Dino PC you can select the same parts and see how the price compares. Dino PC put it all together for you and have good cutomer support. There are many similar sites.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think the alpha as a concept is good if you absolutely don't want to build.

The problem is that it's in a funny place, lifecycle-wise. The GPU needs a refresh as has already been mentioned. I wouldn't suggest buying one in its currently available configurations. I've been wondering if we'll see some changes soon.

e90Mark

If you're going prebuilt, I'd go with a tier 3 Alienware X51. That'll proof you through the gen and then some, not to mention it has a nice slim form factor.

It's here: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-...ven1=sGqJTRLqp&ven2=e&ven3=811303025928068685

Failing that, the first and second tier X51's are also an option. You could also pick and choose what your processor/video card is.

I like this suggestion. More powerful than an Alpha, but you still get a slim form factor.

Aske

I love this thread. I'd also love to enjoy PC beef and upgradability, but with console-like simplicity. I have zero interest in learning about drivers and weird lists of settings that might as well be written in Greek; and as a lifelong Mac user the idea of Windows is kind of horrifying (I'd have to worry about viruses? Never had one!) but it would be sweet to have a more powerful machine capable of delivering more demanding experiences.

I'm kind of amazed there isn't an option for dummies like me. I just want to pay a bit more for box that lets me play games with better graphics and framerates, enjoy VR, watch media, use a controller, and I don't want to learn anything.

...I'm describing a PS5. This is why I'm a console gamer.

Edit:

If you're going prebuilt, I'd go with a tier 3 Alienware X51. That'll proof you through the gen and then some, not to mention it has a nice slim form factor.

It's here: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-...ven1=sGqJTRLqp&ven2=e&ven3=811303025928068685

Failing that, the first and second tier X51's are also an option. You could also pick and choose what your processor/video card is.

Yes. This sounds like a good bet. I'd still need to figure out how to use it, but that kind of price for something futureproof is what I'd want.

ricki42

Buy a pre-made hackintosh off of eBay. They are great options for Mac users who want to get into PC gaming but not have the hassle of more machines than they need.

The next PC I build I will take my own advice since I can't justify an iMac, and Macbook, and a gaming PC to meet my needs.

I don't think Fallout 4 has been announced for Mac.

I can understand your apprehension, but building a PC is essentially like putting legos together. It's really very easy. That said, some people just don't want to bother with it and that's perfectly fine too.

If I were you and didn't want to build one, I'd buy the parts and take it to a PC store that'll put it together for you for a small charge. You'll get the benefit of not having to worry about putting it together and the comfort in knowing you more or less got the best bang for your buck.

I love this thread. I'd also love to enjoy PC beef and upgradability, but with console-like simplicity. I have zero interest in learning about drivers and weird lists of settings that might as well be written in Greek; and as a lifelong Mac user the idea of Windows is kind of horrifying (I'd have to worry about viruses? Never had one!) but it would be sweet to have a more powerful machine capable of delivering more demanding experiences.

I'm kind of amazed there isn't an option.

What is there to learn about drivers? You install them or you don't. Want to update? Two clicks, or have it do it automagically. Don't like it? Revert to previous driver with two more clicks. Do Macs never get driver updates? I'd be very surprised if they didn't. I haven't had a Virus on any of my windows machines in over 7 years, so I'm not sure why you think that's a common occurrence. People who get a ton of virsues usually click "YES" to every pop-up that ever pops up. If you aren't a complete fool, they are very easy to avoid all together. But to each there own, I just think your reasons stem from ignorance of the platform as a whole.

The recommendation below (cpu, mobo, ram,gfx) is going to be my main rig in a few months probably. it's based off a lot of sound recommendations off plenty of websites that recommend the best bang for the money parts. personally, i'd go for 16gb ram though, and theres a nice sale on newegg for ram yesterday and today. 5th gen mobos are kinda selling out soon, the z97s. so yea. and if you have webcame/skype/facetime, i'd gladly help guide you on putting all the parts together. i've built several rigs and it is easy once you get the hang of it.

My 2 cents;

• Decent LGA1150 mobo, don't get cheap one yet no need for premium [I would pick one in range of 100 to 150€]
  • i5 4690K 3,5 GHz LGA1150 or i5 4570 3.2 GHz LGA1150
  • Some okay priced aftermarket cooler for CPU, default Intel one sucks ass
  • 8GB of DDR3, 2x4GB kit. Allows you to upgrade into 16GB with another 2x4GB when needed
  • R9 390 or GTX970, I would pick R9 390 for more VRAM and better 1440p performance + not surprised if better 1080p performance year from now
  • Quality PSU, e.g. EVGA PSU's are super solid
  • Good case, I always prefer Fractal Design stuff like R5 or S -series.

edit: a lots of stores offer services like building PC for you, and even installing mandatory software like Windows

edit2: this isn't super budget build, then I have no idea what kind money you are looking at

Krejlooc

Banned
Part of me is tempted to wait until the Steam Machines hit to see how easily the Steam OS can be swapped for Windows 10.

Me am baby.

you attach a USB dvd drive to your steam machine, then put a windows CD in the drive and turn it on.

Then you click "install."

that's all.

Aske

What is there to learn about drivers? You install them or you don't. Want to update? Two clicks, or have it do it automagically. Don't like it? Revert to previous driver with two more clicks. Do Macs never get driver updates? I'd be very surprised if they didn't. I haven't had a Virus on any of my windows machines in over 7 years, so I'm not sure why you think that's a common occurrence. People who get a ton of virsues usually click "YES" to every pop-up that ever pops up. If you aren't a complete fool, they are very easy to avoid all together. But to each there own, I just think your reasons stem from ignorance of the platform as a whole.

I won't deny that for a second! My reasons are rooted in watching PC people constantly doing complicated things I don't understand, and constantly complaining about complicated problems I don't understand.

...I have no idea what a driver is.

Krejlooc

Banned
I won't deny that for a second! My reasons are rooted in watching PC people constantly doing complicated things I don't understand, and constantly complaining about complicated problems I don't understand.

...I have no idea what a driver is.

your mac has drivers. You've likely updated them, too. Your hypothetical PS5 has drivers too.

Updating your drivers is as easy as clicking the big "update" button that pops up whenever an update is available.

This is really helpful, thanks.

I think I'm going to go with the middle-tier alpha.

You may actually want to look at the new entry level Alpha. It now has a better i3 chip than the old entry level, and with the $200 you save you can add an SSD and 8GB of ram easy.

Nzyme32

Console versions will support mods.

The console version, by it's nature, will not support all mods, because many mods will not go through Bethesda.net, and will likely have requirements for other programs, tools and alike that I'd put money on not being supported on any console. Let alone some of the graphics enhancements, total conversion mods etc that will arrive over time.

I'm the happy owner of an i5 alpha, and I think that it's one hell of a gaming device considering the form factor. It's very quiet even under gaming load, it draws very little power from the wall. I got rid of the Alienware UI because I didn't had the use for it, I have a Logitech keyboard+trackpad combo which I use from my couch.

That being said, let's be frank about the GPU performance: I had to crank down MGSV and the Witcher 3 to 900p to get perfectly locked framerates (60 and 30fps respectively). At 1080p MGSV skipped a few frames while zooming with the binoculars and the Witcher hovered from 25 to 30 fps. All of that at console settings according to Digital Foundry. And that's after overclocking the gpu. At 900p I can go beyond the console settings while maintaining the locked refresh: I have HBAO+, foliage distance and grass density on high for the Witcher and the detail lod up to high in MGS with full AF. Just be aware that the 860m doesn't have what it takes to run the most recent titles at 1080p. Still very happy with my purchase though.

Hope that helps!

Yudoken

Op, you should build a pc like this and build it on your own or at least let it get build if you really don't want to do it yourself.

Yokai

You could always buy a steam machine and set it up to dual boot windows / steamos.

Iirc the alienware one also has a windows alternative that should be fairly simple to use.

StereoVsn

you attach a USB dvd drive to your steam machine, then put a windows CD in the drive and turn it on.

Then you click "install."

that's all.

Eh, why not put a USB drive with Win10 on it and click install? That said, X51 is a better bet and OP can always pick up Steam controller separately.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The game is pretty much designed around consoles and I doubt PC is going to squeeze much out of it.

I guess you're not aware of how hard and how often the mod community has squeezed previous Fallout games. If you think current gen consoles are going to get that much love from a mod community I don't thik you're actually thinking.

I'd avoid a Steam Machine if I were the OP. Instead of getting a hybrid with the strengths of both worlds you're getting a runt with the strengths of neither. You don't need to be able to build your own PC, there are plenty of people who'll do it for you.

Krejlooc

Banned
Eh, why not put a USB drive with Win10 on it and click install? That said, X51 is a better bet and OP can always pick up Steam controller separately.

Because preparing a USB stick is an extra step. I was trying to keep the process as idiot-proof as possible.

Matthew23

For anyone on the fence about building a PC but is worried about the difficulty you should absolutely do it. As long as you have internet access on another device while your putting your machine together you can get around any issue. If I can do it ANYONE can (seriously though, I'm terrible with this stuff). You will put in a few hours researching/shopping and a few more building and then you're set. If you choose a different route you might have regrets for years.

If you have zero interest in building a PC, Steam machines seem like a good option.

Detox

Don't get an alpha the 2gb vram is the minimum specs for fallout 4. You're going to limit yourself later on this gen.

I think you can boot straight into big picture mode, windows keys are cheap on reddit. If you can't build it yourself ask a PC shop nearby. In terms of builds the build a new PC thread is extremely helpful and I'm sure they know of builds that will fit the sleek look people are looking for.

Durante

Current steam machines are either underpowered (compared to what you want to achieve, not compared to consoles) or overpriced. That's the truth. You are much better off either building your own PC with advice from our thread, or getting it built for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

The game is pretty much designed around consoles and I doubt PC is going to squeeze much out of it.
I really think that's completely off.

Not just talking about mods even (though that is a huge consideration for Bethesda titles), but open world games in general are ones that benefit heavily on PC. Draw distance, pop-in, shadow distance, foliage -- just in general a lot more and more meaningful options than in more linear games. And with FO4 being 30 FPS on consoles, framerate is another consideration.

Current steam machines are either underpowered (compared to what you want to achieve, not compared to consoles) or overpriced. That's the truth.

It is. I will never understand the reasoning behind Valve's decisions regarding Steam Machines, coming up with a single spec as an entry-level solution to PC gaming seemed like a no-brainer. Then they let every OEM do whatever it wanted without limitations or guidelines and the result is this mess of underpowered or overpriced machines, with very few exceptions. Alienware and Zotac have some intriguing models, most of the others are total garbage.

Mudron

Op, where do you live and do you have a specific budget in mind?

Portland, Oregon, and I'm hoping to spend not too much more than a thousand bucks for something relatively future-proofed (or at least modular enough to let me upgrade its basic guts in the future).

Someone already recommended http://enuinc.com/, which seems to be a local shop that'll build machines to spec.

Durante

It is. I will never understand the reasoning behind Valve's decisions regarding Steam Machines, coming up with a single spec as an entry-level solution to PC gaming seemed like a no-brainer. Then they let every OEM do whatever it wanted without limitations or guidelines and the result is this mess of underpowered or overpriced machines, with very few exceptions. Alienware and Zotac have some intriguing models, most of the others are total garbage.
Yeah, it's an example of Valve's laissez-faire attitude (which has served them very well in other matters) not working out.

Well, maybe it's just not working out yet.

Mudron

Yeah, I already have a Steam controller and the Steam Link - I pre-ordered them when Valve said they'd be Mac-compatible out of the box, but they're useless to me now until Valve patches the firmware on those things (presumably when they hit the streets in a few weeks) - being able to finally use my Steam controller was part of the reason why I'm suddenly thinking about finally pulling the trigger on a gaming PC.

That said, yeah, that third-tier Alienware X51 looks nice - is that a relatively new offering?

StereoVsn

Yeah, it's an example of Valve's laissez-faire attitude (which has served them very well in other matters) not working out.

Well, maybe it's just not working out yet.

Yet is the right term. It's just a long term bet against Microsoft locking down shit to their Win 10 store (not sure that will ever happen). Valve doesn't want to gamble the future in MS graces essentially, hence Steam Machines. Actually that's good for GoG as well since they could probably release Linux version of the GoG client down the line.

Personally I think the fears are overblown but who knows, danger is there. Can you imagine DirectX 13 being locked to Win10 store only for example (through some sort of encrypted if system)? Probably not gonna happen but again this is Valve hedging their bets.

For the OP, Dell x51 is pretty good but limitation of GTX960 kind of sucks. There are other online vendors that build machines as well.

No need to buy prebuilt, even if you don't feel like wanting to build or researching stuff at all.

1)Just go to the PC thread ask the folks there for a "PC gaming for Fallout"
2)Order the parts online
3)Pay any PC shop to set up the PC for you.

Mudron

Yeah, seeing as how I am THE embodiment of the kind of customer Valve would seem to be targeting with the Steam machines (a gamer who wants to dive into PC gaming with a rig that's as easy to understand the specs of and get running as an Xbox or Playstation), Valve's decision to just let everybody under the sun make a Steam Machine with whatever specs they like - without any kind of unifying vision for the product line or easy way for casuals to understand what's being offered - is a total fucking mystery.

What they've essentially done is taken the idea of buying a console and overcomplicated it by making it as confounding as buying a PC, which.... is *not* what any console-buying experience is like.

Console buyers maybe want one or two options at most (Steam Machine with out without Steam OS, maybe one with a 1TB harddrive or another with 2TB), and a guarantee that whatever they're buying will be able to run most games coming out in the next 5 years and that's it. You need a spreadsheet to understand how any of the Steam Machines hitting the streets in 2 weeks stack up against each other.

OP I never built a PC of my own and decided to do so.
Most fun I've had with a great sense of accomplishment. Just need to make sure mother board and the processor are compatible.

It's easy and fun

Mudron

Well, that's something Valve will never be able to give.

That's the cost of the power and beauty of PC gaming :p

Well, that's why I said *most* rather than ALL. I'd like to think that whatever machine that could run Fallout 4 right now on max settings might be able to run Fallout 5 on minimum settings in 2020.

Grief.exe

Building PC's is really, really easy and requires maybe watching one or two videos about it on youtube. I knew nothing and have no technical aptitude but put mine together in about two hours (which is a pretty long time)

Are you crazy?

i74JdU8.gif

natertots

I built my own PC and would recommend doing so. Before going into the build I really had no idea what I was doing at all. I watched several build videos on Youtube before going into it. Hell I wasn't even 100% sure on exactly what components I needed to put together a functioning PC. After watching the videos I just made a list of what I wanted that was within my budget. Got all the parts and had it put together in around 1-2 hours. Just have the manuals handy and possibly a video you can reference as you go. The hardest part for me was getting the cables nice and neat.

120v

i think one day steam machines will be a good option but as it stands they're just way too overpriced. if you really want to go that route i second getting an alienware alpha

i think the best alternative if you don't want to build your own PC is an alienware X51. probably the best middleground between console-like small form factor and having a legit gaming PC. sure, you'll be paying a little more, but you can finance it and build up your credit. a good option if you're just starting out IMO

If I'm gonna blow the extra cash to get a pre-built machine, I'd rather get something that makes Fallout 4 look extra pretty *and* is a future-proofed a little right out of the starting gate.

I wouldn't have that mindset when buying/building a rig. It's hard to say what the requirements will be later on. Too many variables like the type developers, engine used, resources, etc.

Instead, be comfortable with the fact that a high end rig will play most current games right now with high performance and you'll have an existing backlog of plenty of games you'll know that will be compatible. If you worry about how your gaming PC will hold up in the next 5 years then you'll never jump in.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Mudron

Are you crazy?

i74JdU8.gif

Despite everybody talking about how easy it is to build a gaming rig with just a few Youtube videos on hand, what really scares me is people who claim how easy it can be and then spend a ridiculous amount of time complaining how they've fucked up their latest build.

Despite everybody talking about how easy it is to build a gaming rig with just a few Youtube videos on hand, what really scares me is people who claim how easy it can be and then spend a ridiculous amount of time complaining how they've fucked up their latest build.

Like who?

My best friend built his own PC without any help other than a few YT videos. Literally, he had no knowledge on the subject and just followed a few videos on how to do it. You can mess anything in this world up by not paying attention, PC's or otherwise.

Spawngasm

Neo Member
Puget Systems is pretty good and they have a good reputation. I had them build my PC because I'm never hardly at home or have time to.

Just build one. It may seem incredibly intimidating but in all honesty it's basically legos, very expensive legos. If you can follow instructions it's really simple.

This is what some folks keep telling me - I'm tempted to try (just because I'm an idiot), but then half of those guys spend half their time bitching about how they accidentally fucked up their latest build, which...does not exactly inspire confidence.

If folks have Newegg recipes for a Fallout 4-friendly machine, though, feel free to post 'em!

Here is good video on building a PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTzIc6jADw

Doable?

Top Bottom