• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this game needs backing: The Crow's Eye

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zon9_FGqzAM
Edit: more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOmRMAJNUk

Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1939235723/the-crows-eye
Only at $961 of the $35,000 goal. :(

Steam Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340636445
Hmm, not bad. Tell Dusk Golem, he'll make a big hooplah over this most likely. Glad to see a demo's up for download in case anyone's got worries.

Shadownet

Banned
Snake Eater is the best MGS game and there is no debating it.
Yup Snake Eater was the best. It shouldn't even be any discussion. I played Snake Eater about 5 times on my PS2. another 2 times on PS3. Honestly it's like Ocarina of Time for me. It's a timeless classic.

I've been playing Magic since about the fourth grade, and I think we're the same age, so I've been playing a long time. Haven't seriously played since Ravnica though. You should pick up one of the games on steam, I think people think 2013 is the best.
Really? I thought people really like 2014?

Khronico

I've played MGS2, 3, and 4, and 2 is by far my favorite, followed closely by 3 and 4. 3 had a great story but it was nowhere close to 2. 3 met my expectations and was an excellent game where 2 subverted and surpassed them.

Reading opinions about MGS is always funny, it's always all over the place.
Count me among those who consider 3 the best, superior to 2 in every way, gameplay, setting, story/writing, pacing, boss fights, etc.
4 has its flaws but doesn't deserve the hate it gets around here.

yuraya

I don't recall the healing system, but I know the music didn't stand out. Volgin was generic trash and the only thing really worth remembering was the final boss fight. Every other MGS game (that I've played) is better, including limited playtime in peace walker HD.

The healing system was where you had to use your knife and other tools to heal parts of your body. Like gun wounds, leeches, broken bones etc. It was realistic and very unique considering the survival setting. Especially when you played on the like hard/extreme difficulty. Sadly Kojima didn't ever use that system again for whatever reason. Portable ops may have had the same system but I can't recall for sure.

And Volgin was the best villain because he was an actual villain. The other guys in the rest of the games like Solidus, Ocelot, Liquid were all very soft in comparison to Volgin. Just my opinion tho.

The Intro music theme was like better than all the Bond movie themes combined. No way you can hate the music :p I guess you could make a great case for MGS1 with music..but for me MGS3 is best.

Wow, this game needs backing: The Crow's Eye

This has got to be a golden age for horror fans. It feels like the current fad on kickstarter is horror, whereas before it was roguelike (not that I'm complaining about THAT.) I'm looking at it, thinking it's cool, can't help but wonder if it would have been better if they turned on the lights, made the monsters a bit more obvious and less sudden, you know, strip the horror elements out and just let the rest of the gameplay stand on its own like that.

I guess I'm just too much of a coward to play horror games.

zkylon

zkylewd
Since there is so much MGS talk I just wanted to chip in :)

Snake Eater is the best MGS game and there is no debating it.

Best story
Best Healing system
Best music
Best intro (even better than MGS2)
Best villain (Volgin)
Best setting

And most importantly best boss fights. The Cobra unit was the fucking shit.

cobras.jpg

All the fights were different and unique. The Sorrow boss fight was probably the most creative boss fight in any video game. I wish Kojima brings MGS3 to Steam. It is a timeless classic and probably the best console game ever. Its the one MGS game I wish I had in my Steam library. The rest are great as well but none of them are in the same league as Snake Eater.

i personally don't like mgs3 as much as 1 and 2 cos i don't like the "moving forward" style of progression

in mgs1 and 2 you're exploring military bases and going back and forth, unlocking new areas, revisiting places, all that stuff which i love. mgs3 and 4 are always "going forward", showing you new places and all that

imo that's less enjoyable

mgs3 is still an excellent game, i love a lot of the systems they introduce like camo and healing (i love medical stuff!!) and music and characters and setting are all top notch.

i'm not a big fan of mgs4 but i don't think it's terrible. i think that anyone that complains about cutscenes in mgs should just realize that mgs is not for them. i feel like mgs4 had development issues or something and ended up pretty disjointed. there are the makings of an awesome game, but not quite

mgs1 is still my favorite. love can bloom even on the battlefield!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This has got to be a golden age for horror fans. It feels like the current fad on kickstarter is horror, whereas before it was roguelike (not that I'm complaining about THAT.) I'm looking at it, thinking it's cool, can't help but wonder if it would have been better if they turned on the lights, made the monsters a bit more obvious and less sudden, you know, strip the horror elements out and just let the rest of the gameplay stand on its own like that.

lol, same here. I always get interested but end up never playing horror games. Thing is, whenever I watch/play something with heavy horror elements I tend to dream about it and since I have very light sleep I end up waking up in the middle of the night. Even if I get back to sleep quickly it's not cool when I have to work the next day, so I end up avoiding most of the genre. I love some creepiness in my games though.

zkylon

zkylewd
ಠ_ಠ
it's an imporrtant lesson

mgs1 is deep shit

lol, same here. I always get interested but end up never playing horror games. Thing is, whenever I watch/play something with heavy horror elements I tend to dream about it and since I have very light sleep I end up waking up in the middle of the night. Even if I get back to sleep quickly it's not cool when I have to work the next day, so I end up avoiding most of the genre. I love some creepiness in my games though.
that sucks

so you never played silent hill?

damn

Maniac

Banned
Time to clean out my inventory in prep for the sale.

Literally best giveaway. Giveaway of the year init. GAOTY.
I've never played a Far Cry... but I want FC4 so bad now... if it gets discounted at all during the sale next week, I may just jump...
FC2 is a lot better in a great many ways. Although FC3 & 4 are generally more of a solid experience, however they're not really unique nor exciting imo. But they're damn fun, however FC4 is a complete technical clusterfuck thus far. Not Unity levels of clusteringfuckery, but nonetheless it's completely unacceptable.

But if you're not one of the many people who get incredible stutter no matter your settings, framerate or anything, then you'll love the game. Do beware that a lot of the FX options don't work properly either, and that only two settings have any solid impact on your framerate for reasons unknown.

And don't get me started on Ubisoft's completely incompetent implementation of Nvidia Fur... :p
I wanna see how the hair works work (XD) when the update is up. You have to pay more taxes then lol.
It's an awful implementation thus far. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a patch... But eh.
wallet ready
Terrifying. I love it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Never. :( Still want to though, regardless of the sleep thing. I'd be down for some sort of SH Steam collection.

i used to like do all nighters with friends and play them with like lights out under a blanket or something lol

i remember walking home the next day from my friend's house and like an alarm like silent hill's went off in the distance and night was coming down and i was like super freaked out and ended up half-running to the train station lol

it's not really that scary of a game tho, more disturbing than anything

i recommend in that vein you play lone survivor. that game's awesome

Maniac

Banned
I can't be excited for this as I already beat it on PS3. But I guess most of the people on SteamGAF haven't play it yet. I'm more excited for Phantom Pain, but that's a given between the two.

Omg, Tera Online is coming to Steam :D I might jump back in.
Even if I'd played it, which I haven't, it's like... OH MY GOD AWESOME GRAPHICS ERMEHGERD 4K TEXTURU! Etc. Also Tera Online? Interesting, may have to jump back in. I loved what I played, although it's really silly. But damn that combat is addictive... (Although the female armour designs aren't)
HHNNGGGG..

terrific.gif
Well, that's one for the GIF folder.
As I wrote the Polygon reviewer makes it very clear that the game gets worse and worse, super boring + frustrating. So basically like every Dead Island game.
Only it doesn't have any of the redeeming qualities of DI it seems. For shame.
Yeah maybe I should just keep it with this guy...

N34PxHr.png

Just messing with things in case some kind of Steam related event happens in the near future.

Thanks everyone!

Do a quick touch-up on it, perhaps add some drool to the guy, and you've got yourself a perfect, delicious picture.
Just like the game is delicious and perfect.

zkylon

zkylewd
I watched some let's plays of silent hill games. Didn't affect me but that's probably because I wasn't the one playing them.

i don't think it's a crazy scary series, but def worth playing so it's a pity if you miss em because it's gonna give you nightmares

i'm not crazy about setting a scary mood or anything like that, so you can do like me and just play it in the middle of the day, no headphones, like any other game

Miguel81

I watched some let's plays of silent hill games. Didn't affect me but that's probably because I wasn't the one playing them.

The first 3 are excellent, and 2 and 3 have some brain-busting puzzles on the harder difficulties. The atmosphere is also second to none in all three titles.

Edit: I hope Jaw is enjoying Dino 2 PC. The game runs without a hitch, and has as many resolution options as you have available O.O (Japanese game from 2000)

zkylon

zkylewd
and i think 4 while definitely the worst of the originals, is also very interesting and much worth the play

one of the freakiest imo

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant start a game because a client is down (in this case Origin not Steam but same shit) is down. Modern gaming is awesome :(

The first 3 are excellent, and 2 and 3 have some brain-busting puzzles on the harder difficulties. The atmosphere is also second to none in all three titles.

Yeah, saw all of those. The LPer was kind enough to break down exactly what the clues meant at all the difficulty levels, so any viewer didn't just watch him complete the puzzle and wonder how.

and i think 4 while definitely the worst of the originals, is also very interesting and much worth the play

It's one of the worst because it originally was not supposed to be a Silent Hill game, but stand on its own as a different IP.

Miguel81

Yeah, saw all of those. The LPer was kind enough to break down exactly what the clues meant at all the difficulty levels, so any viewer didn't just watch him complete the puzzle and wonder how.

I miss when survival horror games were foremost adventure games with puzzles and all that jazz. After Resi 4 everything changed(even though that game is great at what it does).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cant start a game because a client is down (in this case Origin not Steam but same shit) is down. Modern gaming is awesome :(

Huh? I can start BF4 but can't play online due to Origin being down. Surely other Origin titles have an "offline" mode for singleplayer?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stupid DDoS attackers ruining other people fun. -_-

oh is that what it is? extra fun then >_>

Huh? I can start BF4 but can't play online due to Origin being down. Surely other Origin titles have an "offline" mode for singleplayer?

you need to be logged in to go offline mode (isnt steam the same?). if you cant log in, you cant go offline mode lol

MRORANGE

if nobody is willing to write about FF13-2, I might.

Go for it!

Edit: Confirmed reviews for next month:

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for December (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in December Send me a PM to request.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th November

Games / Gaffers:
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Dr Dogg
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - Uzzy
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - Rayge
The Talos Principle - Yrael
Final Fantasy 13-2 - Arthea

TheSeks

you need to be logged in to go offline mode (isnt steam the same?). if you cant log in, you cant go offline mode lol

Huh. Weird. I guess it's because I leave Origin on 24/7 to play Battlefield online so I never knew there wasn't a specific "can't login, go offline?" mode, but I could swear that even if you can't login it should allow you to be offline with your account. *shrug*

Dr Dogg

Ok Ubisoft Sofia have gone down the rabbit hole with this one.
AC Rogue Present Day Info Message (spoilerz!!!) said:
Please respect your Non Disclosure Agreement. Our work here is exciting and confidential. Security breaches will not be tolerated.

This past year has seen many leaks of internal information get out to the public. Do not speak about your work with fellow travelers on airplanes for example. Do not engage the so-called entertainment press without a PR representative with you.

It is embarrassing to the company and threatening to your job security

Edit: Some context to the above. After the media circus surrounding Unity from the very first details reading this message in game in Rogue had me laughing more than I should.

you really should write this! I mean about 13-2, you know I'm too lazy for this kind of stuff, but if you insist, I'll try

I probably will knock something together tomorrow. Just got to put some disclaimers in there this time about SE and their port work but hey fingers crossed this won't be an issue this time. Edit: Haha! Too late, you've been conscripted into doing it now. Do Lightning Sera proud.

Nice.
I hope they do some extra work on the PC version. At least they already have a current gen version of Shay outfit they can use. :p

I'm noticing a few effects missing from Black Flag but when Liberation got ported over thankfully the asset detail and some effects only pressent in the PC version of III made their way over as well so there is hope of decent job.

A game!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-FCC3A04367708A47 - Taken by gaiadyne

TheSeks

Oh, right. Yeah, Steam asks on logging in if you want to go into offline mode if it can't reach the Steam login servers. But Offline mode for Steam is all sorts of buggy with some games refusing to run or whatever.

MRORANGE

Games that can still be used as recommendations for the December thread:

Potatoman Seeks the Troof

ss_2547a181f2bbb5655bae774b57764423fb363f7f.600x338.jpg

1Quest
ss_e06f8ab2702b68401e0b2143e7df1d1d9dea3f1e.600x338.jpg

Bombing Bastards
ss_50ef182de88da9e2b1a9acb3141712b5980f75d3.600x338.jpg

ULTRAWORLD
ss_dbe0e9d86cde3518fd436e9a3a569aef07862a1f.600x338.jpg

Dungeon Defenders II
ss_9b9cbe056dc46fa3202a7f63bf1822149e128638.600x338.jpg

X Rebirth: The Teladi Outpost
ss_0104eecf9da914404920004d5dd9fcf28ec9b973.600x338.jpg

Alone in the Dark: Illumination
ss_5cdfd5f7d3676319a89e52a291b352ed57f62aff.600x338.jpg

bit Dungeon II
ss_79193918277300e5acb51d0d3518f92ec0c59a0a.600x338.jpg

GRAV
ss_2f607db8e55264af7eb29ecd8ed3be9546149f5d.600x338.jpg

fault milestone one
ss_858f0403fe82e41137a6202e54c21805b2fa5e9e.600x338.jpg

Hellraid
ss_1e665cdaafef181dc072156b0f910dd12897810e.600x338.jpg

Dollhouse
ss_1fc37e9cfd240e4cad5f49fc59b7fb14194e0c7f.600x338.jpg

FRONTIERS
ss_049f13d62021be8c6a436d4bd29d697d1e825293.600x338.jpg

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
ss_cdc027dfa15314d9c35ef64d072eb7a52254c0ef.600x338.jpg

Lumino City
ss_0717a54eec7d2ff2b37c4b3f10ab2692a607dbdd.600x338.jpg

I would too see some gaffers write something about games that they are looking forward too in December.

ViviOggi

Pretty sure all of the major issues with Steam's infamous offline mode have been fixed years ago, it's just that so few people use it regularly that all you read about are retellings of how someone couldn't get it to work that one time their internet went out in 2009.

Anyone here use depressurizer to organize their steam library? Is it alright to sort out one's library, or are there better alternatives?

Asgaro

Haha.

Well, there are some other Kickstarters I came across today as well that are worth checking out.
But I didn't want to spam this thread with Kickstarter recommendations so I chose the one I found to stand out. :)

But here are the others.
(Btw, I didn't find these by browsing Kickstarter myself. I just have a bookmark folder "games to check out" in Chrome that I today completely checked out. It was filled with games and Kickstarter campaigns I had come across on game news websites and wanted to check out but didn't have time for yet.)

Crossing Souls: An Adventure Between Life and Death

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/424511716/crossing-souls-an-adventure-between-life-and-death

$14,949 pledged of $45,000 goal.

86cfcc16daba4fbc6b303f99b76fe142_large.gif

a73402e0c78d6f258f830d5f4f1b1902_large.gif

068832c49a5c66c7a41738724094a52d_large.gif

ac1641e01f18368383976b209d9146fe_large.gif

f68f14a2e0935e27d832927b6badd3d0_large.gif

Scorn

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571331118/scorn-episode-one

€3,262 pledged of €200,000 goal

Last Year - 5 vs 1 Multiplayer Survival Horror

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastyear/last-year-5-vs-1-multiplayer-survival-horror

$(CAD)5,579 pledged of $50,000 goal

e403a6d13d628f36ea2184545f7185a1_large.jpg

160daf7facd34620f6eefc172b597948_large.gif

---------------------------------

Is there a dedicated Kickstarter/Indiegogo/... recommendations thread actually?

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish I could play the game, but I lack the nostalgia goggles to ignore the terrible graphics.

the vibrating pixel heads in cutscenes are kind of hilarious but i think the game's still pretty atmospheric

one of my favorites of all time for sure

Games that can still be used as recommendations for the December thread:

bloop

do you have anyone for dead state?

i might be interested in writing for that one

oh is that what it is? extra fun then >_>

The next time it happens just wait until Origin tells you that it can't connect to the network, then input your password and press login. The client will open in offline mode.
Sucks that it's not explained properly, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom