• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now allows activating product keys via the website

PaulLFC

I'm not sure how new this feature is, but I didn't see any threads on it - Steam finally allows you to register Steam product codes via the website, no having to have Steam installed and activate through the program itself.

EpNPduh.png

S6kuPO4.png

I haven't tried it out yet, but it seems fairly self explanatory.

I wonder if they have an API for stuff like Humble to automatically register your purchases.

Uhh, actually they used to have one before and Humble leveraged it, which first lead to bundles being effectively unsplittable, and then to them being splittable only through Humble accounts. Then they deprecated it and Humble returned to giving out raw keys.

CHC

Next phase will hopefully be multiples at once (Humble Bundles / DLC, mainly), but Jesus Christ, anything that allows me to spend less time using the Steam client itself is good news.

PaulLFC

The UI option comes with Enhanced Steam, it just updated with that feature today.

The website is Valve's obviously, but they haven't officially revealed it afaik.
Whoops - didn't realise the UI option was due to having Enhanced Steam installed. Hopefully Valve officially add it to the site themselves soon now that the functionality is implemented.

Parsnip

Whoops - didn't realise the UI option was due to having Enhanced Steam installed. Hopefully Valve officially add it to the site themselves soon now that the functionality is implemented.

My theory is that the upcoming client refresh will do away with the old way entirely in favor of this new webpage.
That is, you would still have a 'redeem key' link in the client menu, but instead of opening that small popup window as it does currently, it would just direct you to the webpage.

PaulLFC

My theory is that the upcoming client refresh will do away with the old way entirely in favor of this new webpage.
That is, you would still have a 'redeem key' link in the client menu, but instead of opening that small popup window as it does currently, it would just direct you to the webpage.
That would make a lot of sense - easier to roll out across the mobile site and apps then as well.

Top Bottom