• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now has over 125 million active accounts

JSoup

Banned
4500 games, 80% of them crap, and 125 million active accounts, a third of them on at any moment and less than a third of that actually doing anything other than just being online.

Great time to be a PC gamer.

Edited for accuracy, but, still, all and all, good time to be a PC gamer.

So this is really just 12.5M. Valve always lies!

BTW, Steam doesn't automatically launch with Windows anymore. Not on new installs, anyway.

Nope. Active accounts have to have at least one game registered to them with a dollar amount of at least $1. DOTA is free to play, so those other 9 accounts (assuming they only are used for DOTA) wouldn't be counted.

jambo

I'd imagine that people who buy gaming computers are taking up more and more of the overall PC market then to compensate for the overall lower sales, which would explain the growth

It's actually the big pre-built PCs that are coming back in the last 12-18 months. PC gaming enthusiasts would certainly help, but the real movement is consumers buying PCs again.

FyreWulff

All those bots and phishing accounts.

And what seems like a ratio of 1 customer service rep for every 5 million accounts

Because people will try to downplay this, as always - active account = logged in within the last month

I would be more interested if active accounts = played a game from a steam library in the last month.

Steam does tend to try to start up when you reboot. A lot of PC users now rarely reboot, but do so more than once a month. If they quit steam straight away (as I do), that would count as an active user.

Chakan

3EENIob.png

inky

I convinced 5 friends of mine to finally install it and get some games this past Christmas so I'm partially to blame for the insane growth :p

2 of them are still kinda hooked on CS GO/Dota. the rest have scattered =(
I gifted one of them FTL (the one I thought would appreciate it the most) and he was all like, "meh, I didn't like it".
We are no longer friends.

UnrealEck

I look forward to reading pages and pages of people trying to find reasons as to why the numbers aren't as positive as we might be led to think.

epmode

I look forward to reading pages and pages of people trying to find reasons as to why the numbers aren't as positive as we might be led to think.

Started almost instantly.

The funny thing is that Valve's numbers are the most well-defined of any of the major players. You'll never see Microsoft or Sony give anything resembling a user count from the last ~30 days.

JNA

Banned
Feep's Echo game giveaway has really inflated the numbers on Steam.

Feep: The PC Gaming Savior.

Nzyme32

Too quick. I'm curious to understand the impact of 25 million new users in 5 months.

I would like to understand what's the "attach ratio" or average user spending.

You could look back to April 2014 when ArsTechnica used their crawler. The active user accounts much lower than the actual number of accounts they found. Much of those not included are likely not used anymore, spam, people duplicating for trading / ban issues etc. Taking that into account, it becomes more believable

On Demand

Banned
Will never have one since I like physical products. Good numbers either way.

I see PC vs consoles has already started. Jeez guys.

jambo

I would be more interested if active accounts = played a game from a steam library in the last month.

Steam does tend to try to start up when you reboot. A lot of PC users now rarely reboot, but do so more than once a month. If they quit steam straight away (as I do), that would count as an active user.

For some time now, new Steam installs have been set to NOT LAUNCH on startup.

FyreWulff

Started almost instantly.

The funny thing is that Valve's numbers are the most well-defined of any of the major players. You'll never see Microsoft or Sony give anything resembling a user count from the last ~30 days.

"Last 30 days logged in" is not well defined.

How many have an active CC on file?

How many own more than one game that they paid money for?

How many own games or have paid for content that are not TF2, Dota, or CSGO?

Krejlooc

Banned
"Last 30 days logged in" is not well defined.

How many have an active CC on file?

How many own more than one game that they paid money for?

How many own games or have paid for content that are not TF2, Dota, or CSGO?

You do not have to spend a single dime to make valve money. You also don't even have to play a single game. Watch their lecture on embracing ugc to see how they turn raw active account numbers and cross-game trading into real revenue by inflating value of auctions between users.

FyreWulff

You do not have to spend a single dime to make valve money. You also don't even have to play a single game. Watch their lecture on embracing ugc to see how they turn raw active account numbers and cross-game trading into real revenue by inflating value of auctions between users.

I'm well aware of their monetization setup

Top Bottom