• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Offline Mode 100% fix, and why it was broken for some.

Shiggy

I don't really need the Steam window in my taskbar.

I don't really need the Steam client for playing my games either. And who says that it needs to minimise in the taskbar? Could go to the same area where it is now when clicking on "x". Perhaps Valve will have some time to develop a intuitive, speedy, and well-working client one day.

cgcg

What.

Because I want my friendlist? Because I might be running a game?

That would be a silly feature to implement.

If I want it minimized I'll click on the minimize button. Why would I click on X to minimize? That's the problem here. A lot of people aren't aware that clicking on X doesn't actually close Steam. Took me a while to realize that. That's also when the file corruption occurs.

Also it's not difficult to implement minimize to system tray upon clicking the minimize button. Some apps have that functin.

DTKT

I think I understand your point but it's actually never something that crossed my mind. I didn't see the Steam client window as the client itself. Just something it spawns to browse your games library or the Store. If you want to exit the client and thus, the process, you just right click and press exit.

I don't really need the Steam client for playing my games either.

Actually, you absolutely do for most Steam games. I mean, this is not a new behavior for a program. Skype stays active when you press close the main window, so does MSN messenger(hello 1990).

I might just comes down to how we use the client. I play most of my games on Steam and use the client as a way of communication with my friends. I "need" it to be open.

Shiggy

I think I understand your point but it's actually never something that crossed my mind. I didn't see the Steam client window as the client itself. Just something it spawns to browse your games library or the Store. If you want to exit the client and thus, the process, you just right click and press exit.

Actually, you absolutely do for most Steam games. I mean, this is not a new behavior for a program. Skype stays active when you press close the main window, so does MSN messenger(hello 1990).

I might just comes down to how we use the client. I play most of my games on Steam and use the client as a way of communication with my friends. I "need" it to be open.

Unfortunately, I have to use the client for playing my games. But personally, I don't need the client.

Also, don't you find the way to close Skype annoying? As a matter of facts, that program does still work properly even if you do not quit it before shutting down your PC though. Also, unlike Steam, with Skype you cannot miss that it's still open.
But that's just comparing one annoying thing about Skype to another annoying thing in Steam. Cannot talk about the MSN messenger, didn't even know that it still existed/people still use it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not entirely sure but I think it fixes itself if you just click Steam --> Go Offline... (while being online obviously). At least for me, that's all it took. I completely disconnected from my Wi-Fi just now and offline mode worked fine, even though last night and earlier today when I had trouble with my ISP, Steam refused to work in offline mode at all with the same errors others encounter. I didn't do any of the steps in the OP, I just finally went online, patched my games, started some that needed installing up, then tested it.

Edit: for the above, I think the first times you minimize Steam to the tray in that way recent Windows versions notify you that it's still running. You can always click Steam --> Exit too. It's common behavior for tray enabled programs (from Microsoft too, like Live Messenger) that the x takes them to the tray rather than close them, it's not like Steam started some counter intuitive trend. Consider that x closes windows, sometimes closing the window and the program are one and the same, sometimes they aren't.

Ranger X

I still think it's a bad system when they could choice give the user a simple choice like pressing a damn little "offline/online" button or link. Like it would damage them that some people with an internet connection would choose to play offline.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I still think it's a bad system when they could choice give the user a simple choice like pressing a damn little "offline/online" button or link. Like it would damage them that some people with an internet connection would choose to play offline.
Steam > Go Offline

It's right there.

It's like people are complaining without actually having used Steam now.

If it literally takes two clicks to fix the "problem" you're complaining about, you aren't trying.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Steam > Go Offline

It's right there.

It's like people are complaining without actually having used Steam now.

If it literally takes two clicks to fix the "problem" you're complaining about, you aren't trying.

Sometimes it's easier to whine on GAF than it is to solve the problem.

XOMTOR

This would explain why it always worked for me, every single time.

Same, never had a problem with offline mode. I will backup the winui.gcf and shortcuts.vdf files (thanks Orin and scitek) just in case Steam should somehow get shut down improperly while my internet goes down. Actually wait a minute, my generator is hooked up so that I have access to my PC, entertainment system and DSL modem + router during a power outage so chances are pretty slim. Haha, take that mother nature or drunken idiots hitting power poles, you can't stop me from gaming.

oneils

That's definitely NO fix. A fix would be that it's working without additional steps.

It is a work-around. In the meantime this is some helpful advice. It is not like this user is a Valve employee. Lets give the guy some Kudos for the work-around, at least.

The current Steam beta says that Valve fixeed the broken offline mode when not terminated properly. It seems that the last problem with offline mode is soon going to be solved.

dani_dc

The current Steam beta says that Valve fixeed the broken offline mode when not terminated properly. It seems that the last problem with offline mode is soon going to be solved.

Just got that update today:
"- Fixed broken offline mode if Steam process didn't shutdown correctly"

Hopefully Steam Offline mode now works properly for eveyone.

I just tested it and it works perfectly. I terminated the Steam process from the Task Manager, turned off my wireless connection and tried opening Steam again. I clicked "Start in offline mode" when the window popped up and sure enough, it entered Offline Mode without any issues. This was not at all possible before, so it seems Offline Mode is well and truly fixed.

paolo11

So let me ask a question, my fellow gaffers. If let's say I'm playing a Steam game and all of a sudden I lost internet; I can still play my game offline???

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So let me ask a question, my fellow gaffers. If let's say I'm playing a Steam game and all of a sudden I lost internet; I can still play my game offline???

Yes. Steam doesn't care if your 'net drops while you're in Online Mode, but even if you had to switch to Offline Mode, Valve fixed the issue causing it to malfunction with the aforementioned Steam client beta, which rolled out wide (i.e. as a stable release everybody is required to update to) about a week ago -- Offline Mode now works perfectly.

paolo11

Yes. Steam doesn't care if your 'net drops while you're in Online Mode, but even if you had to switch to Offline Mode, Valve fixed the issue causing it to malfunction with the aforementioned Steam client beta, which rolled out wide (i.e. as a stable release everybody is required to update to) about a week ago -- Offline Mode now works perfectly.

Yehey, no more complaints about Steam offline mode anymore :D

Top Bottom