• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Reaches 13.1 Million Concurrent users

Trojan

Go Steam. I really love the platform. Valve takes it on the chin from time to time, but they put out a good service.

Bluth54

TF2 still going strong.

Incredible.

I bet that's where Blizzard wants to take OW.

I find it pretty unlikely that Blizzard will support Overwatch for 9 years but you never know. TF2's major updates do feature a lot of community created content like cosmetics and maps and I doubt Blizzard will start adding community created stuff to Overwatch.

MUnited83

For you.
I find it pretty unlikely that Blizzard will support Overwatch for 9 years but you never know. TF2's major updates do feature a lot of community created content like cosmetics and maps and I doubt Blizzard will start adding community created stuff to Overwatch.
Depends on what you consider "support" but Overwatch has had tremendous support of their old titles, with many still getting patches after over 10 after their release. Seems they are also planning to add a server browser to it which will make a lot of good to its longevity.

Bluth54

Depends on what you consider "support" but Overwatch has had tremendous support of their old titles, with many still getting patches after over 10 after their release. Seems they are also planning to add a server browser to it which will make a lot of good to its longevity.

Overwatch will probably get the occasionally patch and update but a few years from now I doubt it will level of support TF2 still has unless it becomes a major Esport with a huge player base.
Blizzard does support their titles a lot longer then most PC developers but not usually in the same evergreen way Valve does with new free content for years and years (excluding WoW of course). That may change with Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch through if they remain popular, we'll just have to wait and see.

That was a troll post. He's a Dota regular. The one post about grannys in an earlier thread, I'm not so sure lol

Honestly, this comment doesn't make a lot of sense if you've been paying attention to CS:GO 's development/support at all.

That's ironic considering Valve supports their games for a decade.

He's not wrong. Funny as it sounds looking at its great numbers,it has seen better days. Higher averages, higher peaks, higher MAU. Its growth was on a linear trajectory. Valve's support these last years has been subpar though. Outside of Dota (and even that could be better) Blizzard is completely one-upping them with twice as many games.

Well they're hardly asleep - http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/category/updates/

Whether or not you like the extra content, updates, Inferno's return etc, is up to you

People always point out the number of updates, but they barely talk about quality.

Stats made me look up (the lack of) Dirty Bomb, what a weird state it's in. Still in "pre-release" beta (with in-game purchases) that has been going for more than a year, counting closed beta it has been going for 3 years. They're still doing regular updates, it has had a competitive scene that blossomed and died, still the same 4 maps on regular rotation (not counting Dome), still a ton of fun.

It has been dropping in player count but I guess it's somehow still profitable even though there's no real need to spend money in it. I wonder how they could ever release a "final" build at this point.

Strange days, all thanks to Steam.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's the difference between concurrent users and active users?

I believe concurrent users means how many Steam users log in at the same time, while active users is just the amount of people that is actively using Steam

Lichter

Concurrent means online at the same time. Active just means using Steam in general over a general period of time (not sure what metric they use for that).

Concurrent users is the amount of users logged in at one time. Active users are the total number of active Steam accounts.

I believe concurrent users means how many Steam users log in at the same time, while active users is just the amount of people that is actively using Steam

Okay, thanks!

Top Bottom