• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was DOA5 only announced for PS4/Xbone? do they really hate PC THIS much? :( that really makes me a sad panda ... I genuinely love those games ...
]

IIRC Namco-Bandai once said its totally easy to make nude mods for DoA, thats why it isnt on PC. But thats already a few years ago when they said it.

The reason I guess is: "PC? What is that?"

Cuphead

Banned
It's called in-home streaming for a reason. It's not tied to internet speed at all....

I'm guessing you're connecting through wi-fi router from you host to the client? Usually that's not the way to go. Also depends a lot on your host and client performance.

So hard wiring both my desktops would be a good idea? (both in my apartment, maybe 15 feet apart, router is halfway between.

derExperte

faster, not better in any other regard. Also not 8.1 but 8, even if it's bug ridden like Bethesda game.

You still use 8.0? 8.1 and the update fixed most issues I had and there is a lot of small stuff I'd miss using 7, it's just overall superior.

Cuphead

Banned
Yes, but just the host should be fine. I did it with a wired host and a wireless client and it worked wonders. Didn't notice any lag at all.

thank you, I will give this a shot.
(the host is windows 8 and the client is a mac mini would this be causing any problem?)

That feel when getting AMD Gold for 15$

giphy.gif

Yeah, I know it was 0.99$, but it's still a pretty damn good deal :)

Where are people getting these?

Strider

I've had no issues with 8.1.

Just enable boot to desktop and you're good to go. That was the first thing I did when I got this PC.

derExperte

Sorry for the OT, but in my old PC I used Windows Live Mail to read my mail on PC (gmail account), here I can't set an icon on the desktop to read my mail.

There's a mail icon, I tried to bind my hotmail account to it but I always receive an error in the end.

Also, is there a way to pass directly to the desktop while I boot my PC?

captureq0j4v.png

And the mail program still exists, you have to (and did on your old PC) install the Windows Essentials. windows.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-live/essentials

Arthea

You still use 8.0? 8.1 and the update fixed most issues I had and there is a lot of small stuff I'd miss using 7, it's just overall superior.
I upgraded to 8.1 some time ago already
it fixes some bugs, I'll give you that, also it is slower than 8, so not superior, no.

So it would appear that humblebundle allows you to redeem a game you already own to your own account now. That's what just happened after I bought the jumbo2 bundle and mashed buttons, I noticed it redeemed deadlight despite the fact that it's already in my library. They both show up in my licenses and subscription view as well one as Deadlight Retail and the other one as just Deadlight. I'm kind of dissapointed at this development since I can't gift the game now, some gaffer that can't spare a $ could be playing this and now he can't. I don't know which support to contact, but if it's steam support I may not bother since everything takes 3 weeks to get resolved through them.

derExperte

@FloatingDivider: Sounds like an unfortunate accident, there probably are multiple subs and you had a different one than HB. It's like when JaseC buy 15 versions of a game to get the +1s.

Thanks, the link for Windows Live worked.
The strange thins is, Windows Essential is listed as installed, but now I'm installing it again. Well, I need to adapt to Win 8.1, Win 7 was so fast and clean, here there are options hidden in and there.

Well Mail is the 'Modern UI' mail app, if you want to see what else is installed click on the down-arrow on the start screen. Or use the search. Also an essential trick: Win+x or right click on the start button gives you direct links to a lot of important stuff.

Echoplx

Thanks, the link for Windows Live worked.
The strange thins is, Windows Essential is listed as installed, but now I'm installing it again. Well, I need to adapt to Win 8.1, Win 7 was so fast and clean, here there are options hidden in and there.

Most useful feature of 8 is the win+x menu. So good.

Arthea

Slower in what regard? I never noticed anything and I don't think I've read complaints.

I'm actually surprised you haven't noticed, I was a little mad at you, for not telling me it's slower (><)
OTOH I'm glad getting rid of "couldn't connect to update center" bug and chaos ensuing after too much to go back to 8. So all is well.
edited: forgot to answer the actual question (><)
literally everything is little slower, booting too, not much but noticeable, at least for me.

ViviOggi

Dawngate isn't better than anything when it's using Origin and (more importantly) when its online service will likely be shut down within a relatively short timespan like just about any of EA's multiplayer titles.

But it doesn't use Origin

And it obviously won't survive for long, you'd have to be a fool to spend money on any MOBA that isn't Dota 2 or League (or the bulk of f2p games in general for that matter)

derExperte

I'm actually surprised you haven't noticed, I was a little mad at you, for not telling me it's slower (><)

See, I also didn't notice you're mad at me. Or remember that I told you to upgrade. Did I? :O I don't think 8.0 even gets updates anymore or at least the support will run out, it's always a good idea to stay current just because of that. But what is slower? The UI isn't, games aren't as far as I can tell. It should run exactly the same.

So hard wiring both my desktops would be a good idea? (both in my apartment, maybe 15 feet apart, router is halfway between.

wired is obviously preferred. Quality of wireless is going to depend on your router. I've done wired/wireless and wireless/wireless. First is preferred....2nd had slight lag

Copons

Well Mail is the 'Modern UI' mail app, if you want to see what else is installed click on the down-arrow on the start screen. Or use the search. Also an essential trick: Win+x or right click on the start button gives you direct links to a lot of important stuff.

Mind blown @ Win+X
I've spent MONTHS right clicking that motherfucking win logo, and every time I lost my mouse into my secondary monitor on the left which is usually off.

Now this may also suggest that, with my mouse skills failing to even aim a static icon on my desktop, I should just quit playing CS:GO before the embarrassement becomes too big to bear.

Arthea

See, I also didn't notice you're mad at me. Did I tell you to upgrade? I don't think 8.0 even gets updates anymore or at least the support will run out, it's always a good idea to stay current. But what is slower? The UI isn't, games aren't. It should run exactly the same.
edited previous post, but as I said everything is slower, navigating, booting, literally everything, again as I said, not by much, but I noticed it at once. Only now start getting used to it and no longer being annoyed.

Of course you told me to upgrade! you don't even remember? I'm not really mad or anything, just disappointed nobody told me, when I asked before upgrading

I feel that Windows 8 complaints are mainly steeped in, 'I don't like change.'

The OS still works essentially the exact same way, but the aesthetics took a massive shift.
we already had this talk, and no, that's not the case, at least certainly not for all.

Grief.exe

The OS still works essentially the exact same way, but the aesthetics took a massive shift.

Cuphead

Banned

Completely agree with this, any time someone tries to explain to me what they dislike about it, I get an "it just sucks" type of response.

Nabs

edited previous post, but as I said everything is slower, navigating, booting, literally everything, again as I said, not by much, but I noticed it at once. Only now start getting used to it and no longer being annoyed.

Of course you told me to upgrade! you don't even remember? I'm not really mad or anything, just disappointed nobody told me, when I asked before upgrading

Something might be wrong with your installation.

derExperte

Nobody told you because it isn't happening to anyone else, it's really not a known problem which leads me to suspect something is wrong on your end. Are you using an SSD? Maybe it's more pronounced with a generally slower system but 8.X is known to be very snappy even on older hardware.

And I'm old, I can't remember anything.

Arthea

Something might be wrong with your installation.

I would agree if I haven't seen many people noticing that on different boards. People are sure clean install helps with this, but it's certainly not that much of the difference to go through the trouble. At least not in my case.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just woke up so I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but there's a new Bundlestars bundle going on.
  • Urban Trial Freestyle
  • Heavy Fire: Afghanistan
  • Orbital Gear
  • Jet Car Stunts
  • The Few
  • 8BitBoy
  • Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus
  • Speed Kills
  • Residue: Final Cut
  • Freedom Fall
$3.99 - all Steam. Apparently, this is day 1 of Bundlestar's "Bundle Fest" with a new bundle being released every day for the next 10 days.

fantomena

Or it's all opinions, taste and subjective.

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 with the cheap upgrade program I bought. I used it for some weeks/motnhs, then I did go back to Win 7 because it did not work well for me.

Now i own a laptop that uses Win 8.1, better than the release version, but I still don't like it.

It's not just aesthetics when the OS suddenly uses two major UI paradigms at the same time, switching between them with no discernible pattern. Users might learn the behavior or configure it away, but there's criticism to be had that goes far beyond "waaah change" in nuance.

For example, Windows 7 had one or two points of entry for any given task, Windows 8 has double that and half of those avenues can only give you 60% of the computer's overall capability.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
they probably don't want all the nude mods devaluing their costume DLCs

well ... I wouldn't necessarily call a few small scraps of cloth "costume DLC" ... their female characters are pretty much almost nude already anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom