• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

I'm starting to get into indie video games, any suggestion? got my eye on:

- Transistor
- Machinarium
- Fez
- The Banner Saga
- Oxenfree
- To The Moon
- Jotun
- Headlander
- Clockworck

Oh, boy, that's a deep well to go down, especially if you're just now starting. Off the top of my head, here's some of my own personal favorites that aren't on your list:

Infinifactory & SpaceChem: My two favorite puzzle games ever. Infinifactory is a bit gentler in regards to difficulty, but they're both amazing and will completely change your expectations of puzzle games from now on. Basically, instead of completing the puzzle in the one way that the developer intended, you're given an input, an expected output, and a given area where you can make whatever solution you want. The challenge comes from making a solution that actually works and fits inside the given space.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: Rebirth and its two expansions make up my most played game on Steam, with a little over 500 hours logged. The game functions like a basic twin-stick shooter, but with roguelike elements (permadeath, randomized runs).

Hotline Miami: A great top down shooter with some stealth elements. Amazing soundtrack.

VVVVVV: C64-styled platformer that's hard without being frustratingly impossible.

Braid: One of the first really big indie titles back when they started getting a lot of traction. Lots of really clever time-related puzzles. For example, there's a series of levels where time moves forward when you move to the right, but backwards when you go to the left. So enemies that you killed will come back to life when you move to the left, and so on.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: Rhythm-based dungeon crawler. Some of the randomized elements are weaker than something like Binding of Isaac, but still an amazing game.

One Finger Death Punch: It might look like those stickman kung fu animations that were all the rage in the late 90s, but there's a hell of an addictive game here. The entire game controls with just the two mouse buttons, but there's a surprising amount of skill required.

Acinixys

How's Witcher 3 running on a 770? It's USK 18 so buying (and selling) it for console is kind of a hustle over here. I wouldn't mind getting it digitally, I think. And it's 25€ for a pretty big game I believe. Can't imagine it going lower than that.

I was able to play on a GTX460

You will be fine

Beelzebubs

Giving away extra stuff from the stupid GreenManGaming lootboxes.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

SPACE HACK -- MB-6C33A64FD3FD9325
THE DEED -- MB-563C342A03D1FD39 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Had some money on Paypal, decided to try the GMG loot box.

Fgf0dCg.png

Poor Andromeda, relegated to fodder indie bundle status.

HeeHo

I'm pretty glad with what I got. South Park Stick of Truth, Xanadu Next, and Stardew Valley all for $25 *airhorn noise*

Ladekabel

The Greenmangaming lootboxes are tempting but I don't want end up with random junk like Mass Effect: Andromeda. /s
Or am I?

jholmes

A few indie games have passed my "willing to bite" threshold. Final check before I bite:

Azure Striker Gunvolt
I Am The Hero
Stardust Galaxy Warriors
Xenonauts

Also considering:
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive
Heart & Slash

I have a lot of games to play, so I'm not really interested in anything below "excellent".

I haven't played it on PC but it's an excellent, action-skewed puzzle platformer and something of a looker in the HD version.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Only shameless plug I'll do.

Red Haze - $1.79 USD

My little 2D horror game about a drug-addicted take on Red Riding Hood with 27 different endings is on sale. Currently is rated 88% Very Positive with 52 reviews, released last February.

I could talk more about what I think of it, but I'll just quote the top rated reviews for other's opinions outside my own:

Red Haze is a very ambitious project, that delivers. The atmoshpere is amazing, creepy, and at times very scary. Its a well thought out game that you can tell had alot of soul put into it; with tons of choices, secrets, very interesting unique scenarios & situations, interactions, and of course endings. It starts out very subtle but then you get taken on a rollercoaster, a rollercoaster of emotions; fear, sadness, happiness, and its all based on your choices. The game changes, unexpected things will happen, you just gotta keep moving forward.

Full Review: http://steamcommunity.com/app/428860/reviews/?p=1&browsefilter=toprated

A little gem for horror fans who like disturbing experiences and retro graphics.

Full Review: http://steamcommunity.com/app/428860/reviews/?p=1&browsefilter=toprated

Seriously, this game reminds me of the emotional story of "To The Moon" Another great and emotional story.

Red Haze is a product of passion, filled with lots and lots of secrets - so much, in fact, that you might never get to see them all. It is also recommendable to give Yai Gamework's previous game - Close Your Eyes - a try, as Red Haze is a semi-sequel to it, containing plenty of nods towards CYE. It is not mandatory to play CYE, as Red Haze stands on its own as a solid and an interesting horror experience that sometimes dabbles in heavier themes. It is a must-play for any RPG Maker horror enthusiasts who want to see something unique, and it is well worth its price.

The non-linear story unravels bit by bit, like putting together pieces of a cryptic puzzle. And it’s not for the squeamish. The tone is dark yet comical at times, whimsical yet harrowing. Don’t expect cut-and-dry storytelling, stereotypical behaviors of characters or things like clearly defined “good” or “bad” endings. It will make you laugh one moment, tear up in another moment, then gasp in horror the next. Sometimes you may even feel sick to your stomach, because the game forces you to think about heavy subjects and witness some truly morbid things. But, I personally enjoy a game which has this sort of depth to it. It carries the whole experience past playing the game itself, into something that invades your thoughts and nightmares. Just try to play it only once. I dare you.

How's Witcher 3 running on a 770? It's USK 18 so buying (and selling) it for console is kind of a hassle over here. I wouldn't mind getting it digitally, I think. And it's 25€ for a pretty big game I believe. Can't imagine it going lower than that.

I played it on a GTX 770 with a combination of medium-high settings, runs great.

How's Witcher 3 running on a 770? It's USK 18 so buying (and selling) it for console is kind of a hassle over here. I wouldn't mind getting it digitally, I think. And it's 25€ for a pretty big game I believe. Can't imagine it going lower than that.

I played on Very Low to maintain an almost locked 60. Game still looks good, imo.

How do you complete the Discovery Queue Settings quest? I can't get it to activate.

Click the Discovery Queue then right above NEXT arrow, is the Customize your Queue thing.

Fallout 4 for $15 was the right price for me. I played a little of it on ps4 and figure I will get some enjoyment out of it.

Shadow of Mordor for $3 or $4 (forget what it was) was too good to pass up too.

But then I bought and downloaded these yesterday and ended up playing Wolfenstein last night instead lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's weird that you get prices where it's better buying a "collection" rather than the missing DLC.

Like for instance Project Highrise. It's cheaper to buy the "pack" with Las Vegas expac than the expac itself.

Grudy

Is this a good time to buy Nier Automata? I haven't bought it yet because of all the rumors about its PC performance. I got a 970 with an i5-4690k cpu.

Oh and if some people can suggest some online coop games for my non-gaffer friend, it would be great :)

I'm starting to get into indie video games, any suggestion? got my eye on:

- Transistor
- Machinarium
- Fez
- The Banner Saga
- Oxenfree
- To The Moon
- Jotun
- Headlander
- Clockworck

Those games feel like a good start. Do you need more? :)

I'll vouch for Fez, Headlander och Machinarium of those.

GHG

Gold Member
Bought:

Binding of Issac: Rebirth
Assetto Corsa Porsche season pass
Redout

Redout is fucking amazing. It's more F Zero than Wipeout.

Played 45 minutes of Binding of Issac and it seems fun but it's tough as nails. Will be a great little game to play in short bursts.

Zeeman

Why would you get rid of visual novels or anime in your queue? The garbage stuff at least gets a laugh as I click the "next" button over and over

e: I've gone through my queue twice today and no cards have dropped. Is this Steam's revenge for getting 13 cards yesterday?

Wok

It's weird that you get prices where it's better buying a "collection" rather than the missing DLC.

Like for instance Project Highrise. It's cheaper to buy the "pack" with Las Vegas expac than the expac itself.

Usually, these are bundle discounts which are too high and eventually get fixed. Typically, the discount of the main game is copied for the discount of the bundle, and results in the squared discount for the main game, plus whatever compound of discounts for the DLC.

Loptous

Oh, boy, that's a deep well to go down, especially if you're just now starting. Off the top of my head, here's some of my own personal favorites that aren't on your list:

Infinifactory & SpaceChem: My two favorite puzzle games ever. Infinifactory is a bit gentler in regards to difficulty, but they're both amazing and will completely change your expectations of puzzle games from now on. Basically, instead of completing the puzzle in the one way that the developer intended, you're given an input, an expected output, and a given area where you can make whatever solution you want. The challenge comes from making a solution that actually works and fits inside the given space.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: Rebirth and its two expansions make up my most played game on Steam, with a little over 500 hours logged. The game functions like a basic twin-stick shooter, but with roguelike elements (permadeath, randomized runs).

Hotline Miami: A great top down shooter with some stealth elements. Amazing soundtrack.

VVVVVV: C64-styled platformer that's hard without being frustratingly impossible.

Braid: One of the first really big indie titles back when they started getting a lot of traction. Lots of really clever time-related puzzles. For example, there's a series of levels where time moves forward when you move to the right, but backwards when you go to the left. So enemies that you killed will come back to life when you move to the left, and so on.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: Rhythm-based dungeon crawler. Some of the randomized elements are weaker than something like Binding of Isaac, but still an amazing game.

One Finger Death Punch: It might look like those stickman kung fu animations that were all the rage in the late 90s, but there's a hell of an addictive game here. The entire game controls with just the two mouse buttons, but there's a surprising amount of skill required.
Would add to this list :
Cave Story : One of the classics when it comes to indie games. The freeware version might be preferable if you just want to try it out.

One Way Heroics: Cheap and incredible RPG-Roguelike

I bought the 20 dollar lootbox and got nothing but junk. Refund please lol. That's like 2 dollars worth of stuff. Literally not a single good game.

Pejo

GAF, is Dragon Quest Warriors 1 worth it on its own, or should I just wait for a future sale when 2 is cheaper and just jump in there? DQ characters mean nothing to me, so it's just for the gameplay.

Debating pulling the trigger on 7 Days to Die, Besiege, Scrap Mechanic and Stardew Valley. Pros/Cons? Any other better options from my wishlist, or in general?

Can I get a quick rundown on Dead Cells? The reviews are really praising but I must admit that the early access tag turns me off.

Run-based rogue-lite with linear but branching paths like Spelunky and the permanent upgrade/unlock system of something like Rogue Legacy. Controls are tight with a diverse selection of weapons and gadgets at your disposal. They just recently put out a major update to some of the combat mechanics that I think really improved the game overall. Has other interesting game play hooks like timed doors, cursed chests, elite sub-boss monsters, and elemental combat combinations.

I've got 16 hours in the game and it was worth every penny.

Can someone tell me which of these I could hook up to my Mac to play Steam games?

• Dualshock 4
  • Switch Pro Controller
  • Wii U Pro Controller

Any of those that can be connected with a USB cable?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GAF, is Dragon Quest Warriors 1 worth it on its own, or should I just wait for a future sale when 2 is cheaper and just jump in there? DQ characters mean nothing to me, so it's just for the gameplay.

I'd have a hard time recommending this to someone who doesn't care about Dragon Quest.

Gameplay wise the second one is generally considered to be better (more open world instead of hub zone with battlefield instances).

Wamb0wneD

Do you think FF will get an even bigger discount than 50%? A friend told me it might get more before the sale ends and i really want to get 6 and 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom