• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Valve is creating one (if not the best) community client stuff/thingum/meta-stuff around.
I hope Sony learns a bit or two from them for the next PSN

Man, it's been like an hour and a half of playing Team Fortress 2 and only two cards. Anyone have it be considerably slower than the other titles as well?

And again, stuff like this shouldn't be forced upon users. I couldn't care less what lvl other people are. Also, how come i'm lvl 9 and there are users with less games or years using steam and they are lvl 12. Absolutely rubbish.

When you get to level 10...it'll all become clearer.

Wok

I am 134 XP far from level 10. I already have the ambassador badge. What is the fastest way to reach level 10 and start collecting foil cards? To craft two game badges?

can i leave games like half life 2 also im background mode?

Just needs to be running.

I am 134 XP far from level 10. I already have the ambassador badge. What is the fastest way to reach level 10 and start collecting foil cards? To craft two game badges?

102 points away.
LLShC.gif
And that seems to be the only way as far as I can tell given there are no sale badges going on.

KarmaCow

So what do you need to do get HL2 cards? I'm not sure if I want to go back to HL2 but I wouldn't mind playing the episodes again.

KarmaCow

Sorry another question, with games like Dota 2 or currently with the CS:GO free weekend, you can't get drops unless you spend money on them some how? I don't see badges for those games at all on my account, but the same happened when I traded all my TF2 cards.

Caerith

Sorry another question, with games like Dota 2 or currently with the CS:GO free weekend, you can't get drops unless you spend money on them some how? I don't see badges for those games at all on my account, but the same happened when I traded all my TF2 cards.
Yes. CS:GO, you need to buy the game. Dota 2, you need to... you know, the more Valve explains the less clear it gets, but for now, Dota 2 drops only work if you spent money on the game before trading cards came out. Spending money now doesn't do anything until they fix it, and they're not really clear on how it's supposed to work.

Yup, from the FAQ:
You can check how many drops you have remaining on your badges page.
What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?
Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing history. If you've made purchases in-game prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you purchased TF2 prior to the Free to Play Update, you'll have 4 or 5 drops available for these games. You'll receive more card drops when you buy items in game, approximately one card drop for every $9 USD spent.

When I reach level 10 will I be able to get Foil drops for the games despite using all of the available ones? Or did you have to be level 10 before even going for drops in the first place?

KarmaCow

Yes. CS:GO, you need to buy the game. Dota 2, you need to... you know, the more Valve explains the less clear it gets, but for now, Dota 2 drops only work if you spent money on the game before trading cards came out. Spending money now doesn't do anything until they fix it, and they're not really clear on how it's supposed to work.

Yup, from the FAQ:

Whelp, I was 2 steps away from leaving my computer on while idling in Dota2, CS:GO, TF2 and HL2 on two different accounts.

Now I'm just idling in TF2 and HL2.

With card drops not resetting and prices plummeting, I was tempted to buy some Dota2 stuff in the off chance I'd get into it later but Valve saved me from that, for now.

edit: crap I forgot I put up some TF2 cards for sale cheap when I didn't know drops wouldn't reset.

Caerith

When I reach level 10 will I be able to get Foil drops for the games despite using all of the available ones? Or did you have to be level 10 before even going for drops in the first place?
Nope. I was level 10 before I even started going for cards and all of mine were normal and I'm all out of tries. You get the cards you get and then you're done.

kubus

Soo.... For example, Half-Life 2 has 8 cards in total. You can only get 4 cards max. How are you supposed to collect all 8 cards? You'll never end up with 8 cards unless you buy the other 4 from the marketplace right? If you just trade the 4 you have, you'll end up with 4 cards again.

Unless they reset the drops, which right now, doesn't seem to be happening soon.

Am I understanding this right?

Caerith

Soo.... For example, Half-Life 2 has 8 cards in total. You can only get 4 cards max. How are you supposed to collect all 8 cards? You'll never end up with 8 cards unless you buy the other 4 from the marketplace right? If you just trade the 4 you have, you'll end up with 4 cards again.

Unless they reset the drops, which right now, doesn't seem to be happening soon.

Am I understanding this right?
You're understanding it right.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
:(

I should've never gotten an invite, this isn't going to fare well with my obsession of collecting everything in a series.
Then put all your cards in the Market. When you run out of drops and have gotten rid of all your cards in the set the game disappears from your badge page.

MNC

So how are the prices currently? Is it only profitable to sell foil cards nowadays?

I luckily managed to get 2 dollars for an invite, hehe.

Wok

So how are the prices currently? Is it only profitable to sell foil cards nowadays?

I luckily managed to get 2 dollars for an invite, hehe.

From what I have seen of the Market, cards are sold for roughly the same price as emoticons or background pictures, so crafting badges, which uses minimum five cards and returns an emoticon, XP and a background picture, is only interesting to reach level 10 as fast as possible, then I would say you would better directly sell cards, and hope for drops of foil cards to sell at a high price.

KarmaCow

When people are saying they are making new accounts for cards how does that work??

/Addict

It's not worth at this point. At best currently you might get $5 from selling the 4 cards you get a from a game, but you'd need to spend $7.50 to buy a game or $9 to get a single card drop from a F2P game.

Wok

The number of Beta invites have hovered around 290 this entire time. I 3 when they were 60 cents. Used one sold one for 2.00 and I'm sitting on the last one for curiosity. So I guess when you buy one you don't get the extra invites?

The market is rising again. Maybe people were just not aware of the Steam group. Speculating is too hard.

Are there multiple backgrounds/emoticons for each game/level? I was selling some Team Fortress 2 cards for another set of Don't Starve ones for the level 2 badge and was wondering.

Hasney

Are there multiple backgrounds/emoticons for each game/level? I was selling some Team Fortress 2 cards for another set of Don't Starve ones for the level 2 badge and was wondering.

The backgrounds and emoticons you get from crafting are random. I don't believe the level of the badge factors into it, that's just for XP.

Hellix

Ah crap, I thought card drops would reset eventually. You do actually have to go out and buy/trade for the rest in the set.

The backgrounds and emoticons you get from crafting are random. I don't believe the level of the badge factors into it, that's just for XP.

Cool, thanks. Does everyone else get the crafting failed message each time despite getting coupons, a badge, wallpaper, and a emoticon?

Last night it was fine and I got the message telling me what I had. This morning, I got crafting failed and got my stuff.

Ok cool, does seem a bit spotty all around.

Sorry for the all the questions but one more. Just reached level ten by trading items around but I don't see an achievement showcase. Are those random too :/

Edit: Hell, the showcase help question mark mentions a favorite screenshot option that isn't even there :/

Doubles... doubles everywhere

Have : Gordon Freeman,Glados

Want : G-Man,"Gordon and Alyx",Respite,Trouble Underground, Bring the fight to them,Destruction,Finale,Intro,The Lab,Mannequin,Underground

dot

Ok cool, does seem a bit spotty all around.

Sorry for the all the questions but one more. Just reached level ten by trading items around but I don't see an achievement showcase. Are those random too :/

Edit: Hell, the showcase help question mark mentions a favorite screenshot option that isn't even there :/
Achievement showcase is bugged for some users. And about the screenshot option, they'll add that eventually as the beta goes on.

Bought another few beta invites now they are cheap and the price is stable and rising again.

I'm going to say the prices are going to keep climbing until about 10-12 hours from now when the new wave of invites goes out, at which point I intend to be out of this madness.

EDIT: except they aren't rising and I'm now not going to be able to be pay for my aggresive herione addiction.

Hasney

I've got options for all the known showcases here and they're working fine since I hit level 10. Sowing off my group right now.

Bummer, how does something of that nature even get bugged?

With the number of games and the number of achievements they now have, they probably coded something up that queries their database and tried it while in closed testing and thought it worked fine, then when some people have a certain number of achievements, a certain game or a certain specific achievement, it fucks up. Pretty common database issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom