• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Do you actually need to play the games to get the cards, I see people on here all the time talking about 'idling' the games.
Steam is unable to make any distinction between leaving the game on the main menu ("idling") and actually playing the game; therefore, simply having the game executable running in any form is enough to let the system drop cards.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you craft the cards into a badge can you then go back and earn more cards through playing the game? I know only half the number of cards can drop normally, do your drops reset if you trade/craft away the cards?

dex3108

[H]
Faerie Solitaire:
- Faerie World
- Wizard's Promise
- Stolen Magic

[W]
Faerie Solitaire:
- Fiery Omen
- Fate's Grasp

Zeknurn

Have:
2x Maya
1x Handsome Jack
1x Big Sky Ship
1x Hangar
1x Dinosaur
1x Finale

Want:
1x Gaige
1x Salvador
1x Zero

1:1 trades only.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh, rad! that's the one i'm eyeing too...
I might be able to craft a couple more levels of the badge by the weekend, if I get a duplicate I'll pass it on to ya.

Of course, it's only about twenty cents right now, certainly not a bad price if you sell pretty much any other background or emote.

i didn't get the Don't Starve one i wanted (The Birds and the Bees and the Dogs) when i crafted the badge and now it's selling for like 2 whole spacebucks!

You think that's bad? The Half-Life 2 background I want ("Rise and Shine, Mr. Freeman") is going for $6 right now.

I mean, it's a rare background, but still...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I might be able to craft a couple more levels of the badge by the weekend, if I get a duplicate I'll pass it on to ya.

Of course, it's only about twenty cents right now, certainly not a bad price if you sell pretty much any other background or emote.

oh nice! i'm waiting for deadlight cards to go live so i can flip em and finish my faerie set.

You think that's bad? The Half-Life 2 background I want ("Rise and Shine, Mr. Freeman") is going for $6 right now.

I mean, it's a rare background, but still...

six bucks!

"that's an outrage! you're getting blasted in the ass! "-mac

d0g_bear

I have a 50% off Killing Floor coupon, got it from the Portal 2 set. I'll trade it for whatever, or if you really want it and don't have any cards you can just have it :). PM me.

So on TF2 I have to actually spend money to get cards, right? That sucks, I just started playing TF2 and I don't think I need to start spending money on it yet.

I don't really like the limited drop system. I get the idea, but right now it's so limited. The "trading" aspect is pretty limited, given that your cards disappear once you craft badges.

All roads lead to spending money on the marketplace/TF2, which is... lame. There's no sustain on the consumer end.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I don't really like the limited drop system. I get the idea, but right now it's so limited. The "trading" aspect is pretty limited, given that your cards disappear once you craft badges.

All roads lead to spending money on the marketplace/TF2, which is... lame. There's no sustain on the consumer end.

But if you don't care about badges or experience, already own a bunch of games, and sell the cards to buy more games... it's pretty awesome.

I can see how it would drive OCD people crazy though

Symphonic

Thursday games were just added!

These games now have Trading Cards, Emoticons, Profile Backgrounds and Badges to collect:

Left 4 Dead 2
Sanctum 2
Go Home Dinosaurs!
Triple Town
Cubemen 2

Thanks to the developers and to everyone participating in the beta. Please keep the feedback coming!

I only have L4D2 so whateva

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Don't have any of those. May get L4D2 in a sale sometime. Had TT on my iPhone and enjoyed it there but wouldn't get it again on Steam. Will miss out on these cards!

zulux21

Sweet I finally got my first foil card. Witch baby!

likewise
Ricky Rockets (Foil)

best part i used trading card money to buy cubemen 2 which is on sale so a two pack was only $2.50 per copy. I haven't sold my foil yet but the rest of the cards got me around 3.60 so I would say it was worth getting for me.

I got a foil Tank drop today. Go to sell it on the market and this Russian dude re-lists his at the exact same price as mine just so his would be listed first. Didn't even try to undersell me. The exact same price. So I drop the price of mine. He drops the price of his again to the exact same price just so his can be listed first. Didn't even have the decency to undersell me. Well I don't have to tell you guys that it was on.

I stayed on the market page for Tank Foils with an embarrassing amount of dedication. Every time he would re-list at my price I would drop my price by a dollar. Over and over and over again. We both could have made a lot more if he wasn't such a douche but at that point I would have paid someone to take it if it meant he had to pay even more for someone to take his. In the end I sold mine for around $20 and his is on a now gutted market for $12. Didn't these people learn anything from the Cold War? Americans will throw away any amount of money just to win.

So after mine sold he was stuck in a virtual economy that was falling fast with a foil card he cant get rid of. So I sent him a friend request. I didnt expect him to accept it, but he actually did.

Hey

Just wanted to say

I WON

dat 300 xp badge + background...

EDIT: damn and portal lvl 5
I swear that I only spent like $2.00 on cards (of which I got from selling backgrounds and icons).

The rest were from like four friends who couldn't care about their Steam profile icons and helped me out for free indie bundle games.

Freezard

Got some games for trade for cards :)

Day of Defeat: Source
Dead Island (not GOTY)
Serious Sam Double D
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter

Ledsen

Why so little info in the op? Anyway, a couple of Q's:

- How long do you have to idle in each game to get cards?

- Can you keep the game minimized and just do other stuff while idling?

Tenrius

Why so little info in the op? Anyway, a couple of Q's:

- How long do you have to idle in each game to get cards?

- Can you keep the game minimized and just do other stuff while idling?

- It takes about 25 minutes per card in most games. CS:GO cards reportedly take longer than that.
- Yes.

Arulan

I have a 50% off Trine and Omerta - City of Gangsters coupons. I'll trade for any card; Portal 2 cards if you have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom