• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

danielcw

Achievements are a component of Steamworks. The Steam version of Arkham City uses Steamworks for this purpose, but it's not a "Steamworks game" in the generally-understood sense that all copies of the game require Steam to run.
Ah, and now I remember actually talking about the same question in the Steam thread.
Oh how much I hat the generally-understood nonsense :)

Grief.exe

Ah, and now I remember actually talking about the same question in the Steam thread.
Oh how much I hat the generally-understood nonsense :)

Becomes really confusing, but Jase's answer was perfect.

A full Steamworks title means it activates on Steam from digital and retail. A title can have Steamworks features, see: Markham City, Max Payne 3, Witcher 2, but still not activate on Steam.

DieH@rd

Banned
If they remove DRMs, I will buy both games.

However, B:AC is still not available for purchase in Euro2 zone of the Steam store. That needs to be fixed also.

Achievements are a component of Steamworks. The Steam version of Arkham City uses Steamworks for this purpose, but it's not a "Steamworks game" in the generally-understood sense that all copies of the game require Steam to run.
There was a time when this wasn't the case, I believe. Like it was a toolset that anyone could use however, but I think it has changed into more of an all in one package for Steam releases. Shrug, it seems confusing. I don't really know.

Grief.exe

Nothing is stopping from publisher sending GFWL keys to Valve/Steam.

What are you saying? That keys from versions will activate on Steam?

Probably wont happen. Prior precedent doesn't support such an action, and the publishers want to generate additional revenue.

If they remove DRMs, I will buy both games.

However, B:AC is still not available for purchase in Euro2 zone of the Steam store. That needs to be fixed also.

That is a GFWL regional issue. Will be fixed if GFWL is dropped.

PriitV

What are you saying? That keys from versions will activate on Steam?

Trackmania2, Dark Souls, Euro Truck Simulator to name a few, all have sent their keys to steam and since then every retail key has the ability to activate on Steam. Simple as that.

KarmaCow

It would be great if they made all GFWL keys for the Batman games into Steam keys but I can't find where my Batman:AA key is supposed to be.

Grief.exe

Trackmania2, Dark Souls, Euro Truck Simulator to name a few, all have sent their keys to steam and since then every retail key has the ability to activate on Steam. Simple as that.

That's because those games were full Steamworks and inked deals with Valve. GFWL and Steamworks is not mutually exclusive.

Does not mean Warner Brothers and 2K will do the same. It is possible, but past precedent for rereleases like this would speak otherwise.

PriitV

That's because those games were full Steamworks and inked deals with Valve. GFWL and Steamworks is not mutually exclusive.

Does not mean Warner Brothers and 2K will do the same. It is possible, but past precedent for rereleases like this would speak otherwise.
Umm, none of them are Steamworks titles.
Dark Souls is still GFWL enabled, Trackmania has its own Maniaplanet system and Euro Truck Simulator 2 is using some key-based DRM.
ETS2 even went through Greenlight.

I bought Arkham City on a Steam sale last year and still haven't gotten around to playing it because I don't feel like putting up with GFWL. If they did remove it that would be fantastic. I really wish at some point Fallout 3 would get rid of GFWL too. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Don't give a flying fuck about achievements, but ANY game losing GFWL's bullshit is good news.

Wish Bulletstorm would drop GFWL, too.

Grief.exe

Umm, none of them are Steamworks titles.
Dark Souls is still GFWL enabled, Trackmania has its own Maniaplanet system and Euro Truck Simulator 2 is using some key-based DRM.
ETS2 even went through Greenlight.

Dark Souls actually is https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

What was your point in listing the other two titles? As far as I can tell they don't activate on Steam from retail, or other digital formats. So what point are you trying to make?

Even if they do, I don't see how they would be relevant to the discussion at hand since we are discussing retail releases changing into full Steamworks games.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Publishers can retroactively make their keys register on Steam, as what happened with Unreal Tournament. I bought an old retail box that was non-Steamworks and was able to register the same key.

Will that happen in the case of these games? I kind of doubt it, but I could see them doing it as a good will gesture to all the past non-Steam customers.

OTIX

More than once I've seen AC on a sale and wondered why I don't have it already, only to realise it has Securom, that's why.

Grief.exe

Publishers can retroactively make their keys register on Steam, as what happened with Unreal Tournament. I bought an old retail box that was non-Steamworks and was able to register the same key.

Will that happen in the case of these games? I kind of doubt it, but I could see them doing it as a good will gesture to all that past non-Steam customers.

I know they can, and that would have been a great example for him to chose.

My argument is their really isn't much past precedence for this kind of thing. It happens, but very rarely.

And I agree, I doubt it will happen for this type of release since they would want to fund the development time spent removing the DRM.

The good will move I hope will happen is 2K giving all Steam owners Minerva's Den instead of forcing us to buy it. Would be fair for those who already bought the DLC via GFWL store.

PriitV

What was your point in listing the other two titles? As far as I can tell they don't activate on Steam from retail, or other digital formats.

My point was to give examples of past titles that have sent their keys to steam, so that the past purchases could be activated on Steam.
I've bought both titles from retail/nonSteam DD and I had no trouble activating them on Steam since they announced the support.

I know they can, and that would have been a great example for him to chose.
I was not aware of UT keys doing that.

pa22word

The good will move I hope will happen is 2K giving all Steam owners Minerva's Den instead of forcing us to buy it.

Yeah, no. If anything they'll sell it for like 5 bones (discounted from 10) or a Bio2 complete pack for $15 (discounted from...30 or so) once they finally get around to relaunching the game.

Would be fair for those who already bought the DLC via GFWL store.

Agreed. Going to be a weird situation for the people who bought it through gamefly/d2d though...

Grief.exe

My point was to give examples of past titles that have sent their keys to steam, so that the past purchases could be activated on Steam.
I've bought both titles from retail/nonSteam DD and I had no trouble activating them on Steam since they announced the support.

I was not aware of UT keys doing that.

I wish you had told me that in the first place so I had known what you are talking about. I'm looking around my sources trying to find if those games active on Steam, have no idea what you are referring to lol.

Yeah, no. If anything they'll sell it for like 5 bones (discounted from 10) or a Bio2 complete pack for $15 (discounted from...30 or so) once they finally get around to relaunching the game.

That's why I said I hope that will happen, there is a good chance it will not.

I bought all the DLC through GFWL, do I have to buy them again?

Maybe, maybe not.

No way for me to tell at the moment.

pa22word

I bought all the DLC through GFWL, do I have to buy them again?

They'll probably assign a key to you through the GFWL client that you can redeem on steam:

capturex9smd.jpg

As you can see there's nothing there currently, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2K distributed keys this way.

Qwell

I wish they would patch in native controller support for Bioshock 2, I want to play on my big screen with surround sound without using keyboard / mouse or messing with controller emulation.

pa22word

I wish they would patch in native controller support for Bioshock 2, I want to play on my big screen with surround sound without using keyboard / mouse or messing with controller emulation.

You bring shame to your avatar!

But yeah, they really should for the people who want it. I mean ffs the code is in config files for it anyways >.>

captureb4s6s.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
ByeBitch.gif

Actually, I'm not totally a GFWL hater outside of the fact that it's a pain in the ass. Bulletstorm should drop it too.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I hope those who have bought Minerva's Den on (when there was) the GFWL store will get it at no charge on Steam...if this happens.

pa22word

ByeBitch.gif

Actually, I'm not totally a GFWL hater outside of the fact that it's a pain in the ass. Bulletstorm should drop it too.

GFWL is terrible and I'm glad to see it go (especially for Bio2 as the game runs better without it, but you didn't hear that from me!). I actually don't know a single person who hasn't had their saves eaten by the pos at least once. I have no idea why they thought encrypting saves like they did would prohibit piracy of any kind, sigh....

Grief.exe

GFWL is terrible and I'm glad to see it go (especially for Bio2 as the game runs better without it, but you didn't hear that from me!). I actually don't know a single person who hasn't had their saves eaten by the pos at least once. I have no idea why they thought encrypting saves like they did would prohibit piracy of any kind, sigh....

I think they actually encrypted saves because of achievement security, not that it helped in any way shape or form.

Grief.exe

Bioshock 2 SteamDB entry is updating like crazy right now.

6 times in the past 24 hours, with a few of those coming in the last 30 minutes.

I wonder if they are trying to coincide the Achievements and DRM removal with the Summer Sale

pa22word

Bioshock 2 SteamDB entry is updating like crazy right now.

6 times in the past 24 hours, with a few of those coming in the last 30 minutes.

I wonder if they are trying to coincide the Achievements and DRM removal with the Summer Sale

I imagine they are going to try, if anything. I hope they make the deadline because I'll buy like 20 copies of Minerva's Den to gift around if it does :D

Game needs more love.

I think they actually encrypted saves because of achievement security, not that it helped in any way shape or form.

Yeah, I know most games have trainers and such you can use that give you all the cheevos for games instantaneously. Just another case of MS not really understanding the PC market at all, I guess.

Timeless

Here's some more wishful thinking. The Bioshock 2 PC port is really shoddy - there's no no analog movement and basically no controller support - they use a "PC-optimized" interface. Wouldn't it be nice if they righted their wrong and ported over the correct interface? :\

You know how everyone says DRM doesn't work? As far as I know, Minerva's Den has never been pirated on PC. I assume it's partially due to lack of interest and partially because of how effective the GFWL encryption is. edit: Guess not!

Grief.exe

Here's some more wishful thinking. The Bioshock 2 PC port is really shoddy - there's no no analog movement and basically no controller support - they use a "PC-optimized" interface. Wouldn't it be nice if they righted their wrong and ported over the correct interface? :\

You know how everyone says DRM doesn't work? As far as I know, Minerva's Den has never been pirated on PC. I assume it's partially due to lack of interest and partially because of how effective the GFWL encryption is.

GFWL isn't effective at all in preventing piracy, not in the slightest.

Its due to lack of interest.

pa22word

The "correct interface" is already featured in the game, silly. It is a shooter, after all.

:p

GFWL isn't effective at all in preventing piracy, not in the slightest.

Its due to lack of interest.

Yeah GFWL is dreadful at preventing piracy of anything. Crap like MS forgetting to unlock DR2 OTR on release day until 8 PM while the game had already been leaked and cracked for over a week is just one of many shameful examples of MS' inept DRM service.

Timeless

The "correct interface" is already featured in the game, silly. It is a shooter, after all.

:p
It's a primarily single-player game and I'll play it however I want!

If mouse+keyboard is so advanced, how come there's no analog movement? Keyboards are useful if the game has a lot of controls. Bioshock 2 is a console port so it can easily fit onto a standard gamepad. I'm far more relaxed playing in front of my 40 inch TV than I am on my computer monitor.

If KB+M is so perfect, why do Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite support both control options?

pa22word

It's a primarily single-player game and I'll play it however I want!

okay, but I fail to see how that makes it the "correct" way to play the game.

If mouse+keyboard is so advanced, how come there's no analog movement?

Because it's unnecessary.

Keyboards are useful if the game has a lot of controls. Bioshock 2 is a console port so it can easily fit onto a standard gamepad. I'm far more relaxed playing in front of my 40 inch TV than I am on my computer monitor.

I fail to see how any of that supports your statement on how a controller is the "correct" interface for the game.

If KB+M is so perfect, why do Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite support both control options?

Because of people like you chose to play it that way and it takes no real effort to code in most of time? I'm kinda failing to see your logic here. Keyboard and mouse is the objectively better method of playing the game. Just because they give you the option to play the game that way doesn't make it superior, lol.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It'd be nice if they removed everything else when they're Steamworks titles to begin with. You can't launch most Steam games without the client and can only run the client on one computer at a time, so I'm not sure what the point of additional DRM is on Steam.

pa22word

It'd be nice if they removed everything else when they're Steamworks titles to begin with. You can't launch most Steam games without the client and can only run the client on one computer at a time, so I'm not sure what the point of additional DRM is on Steam.

None of these titles are steamworks games, though. Only AC as of now features steam cheevos.

Top Bottom