• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

It doesn't matter, and I don't mean that in a dismissive "let's not discuss this" way; so, so many threads on so many forums devolve into "does this belong to genre x", though. I, personally, find that it ticks the boxes of what I consider Metroidvania, but if anyone disagrees that's cool, it doesn't affect my experience.

duckroll

Metroidvania is a disgusting term because it reminds me of how awful the Castlevania series became, and it also reminds me that the people using it are probably too young to have grown up playing Metroid, which is really the main thing defining how people use the term. The only things Igarashi's awful Castlevania games adding to the formula are exp, bad level design, and collect em all grinding. None of those are really suitable for the 2D exploration genre, and are often not present in the games people call "Metroidvania". :p

Metroidvania is a disgusting term because it reminds me of how awful the Castlevania series became, and it also reminds me that the people using it are probably too young to have grown up playing Metroid

I find that part in particular to be completely wrong. People who grew up playing Metroid are the only people I know who use the term "Metroidvania".

Also, Steamworld Dig shares elements from both series so I don't see the problem.

Eusis

Metroidvania is a disgusting term because it reminds me of how awful the Castlevania series became, and it also reminds me that the people using it are probably too young to have grown up playing Metroid, which is really the main thing defining how people use the term. The only things Igarashi's awful Castlevania games adding to the formula are exp, bad level design, and collect em all grinding. None of those are really suitable for the 2D exploration genre, and are often not present in the games people call "Metroidvania". :p
Admittedly I imagine even most long term fans played far more Metriod-style Castlevania games than Metroid simply due to sheer bulk. If it weren't for the Metroid resurgence via MP it'd likely almost literally be 10-to-1 of seriously played titles if your Metroid experience was mainly with Super Metroid.

Buuut as Castlevania's no longer there temporarily or permanently I've fallen back on Metroid-style games. And while this resembles it I don't think I'd actually call it that, it's like a cousin to Metroid or something at most.

zroid

Banned

In that context, I have to agree, lol. I always thought it was bizarre how the term came about since I'm pretty sure "Metroidvania" was originally used to describe the Castlevania games which riffed on the Metroid formula (aka Igavania), but then somehow it ended up becoming a way to describe an entire genre of games. The "-vania" half of "Metroidvania" always seemed redundant to me.

In any case, defining a genre by the game(s) which popularized it is always dumb.

Tripon

Been playing this since Thurs, and I can't put it down. Such a great little title, and I hope to see more soon.

Effect

Bought the game last night and couldn't put it down. Finished up this morning with nearly everything maxed. Really enjoyed it. If there is a sequel I'm there right away.

Portman

Bought it last night as well and just finished it up. Great game, especially for someone like me who was willing to dig all day in Minecraft and Terraria. Thanks for the heads up on it GAF, I had wishlisted it but wouldn't have gotten to it anytime soon without the thread.

Tripon

Bought it last night as well and just finished it up. Great game, especially for someone like me who was willing to dig all day in Minecraft and Terraria. Thanks for the heads up on it GAF, I had wishlisted it but wouldn't have gotten to it anytime soon without the thread.

My only criticism is that it's wayyyyyyyyyyy too short. Only three levels to dig though is just not enough.

Just finished this yesterday, took me about 9 and a half hours, but I was searching for every treasure I could find and died alot by lasers right before the end of the game. I thought it was ok, it's a very unique game, and I'v never really played a "metroidvania" game, other than Super Metroid, so I can't really comment on that, but I enjoyed it.

I started playing this last night and it seems like you just hold down and A most of the time, and left/right and A the rest of the time. I haven't yet found any brilliant gameplay or anything reminiscent of fun yet. Does the game take a while to warm up?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I started playing this last night and it seems like you just hold down and A most of the time, and left/right and A the rest of the time. I haven't yet found any brilliant gameplay or anything reminiscent of fun yet. Does the game take a while to warm up?
It get's only down from there.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The hell, this wasn't even on my radar? I came across it on Nintendos site,consider me buying it tonight ,

Just a few things

How pick up and play it ?
Levels good for bite sized gaming ?
How long does it last?

Bit either way looks great consider my copy purchased after work tonight

redcrayon

It's not particularly good for pick up and play as you need to save back in town, but I found sleep mode fine while plying through it.

Most people seem to finish it in 5-8 hours, it varies depending on if you want all the upgrades and how meticulously you are searching the areas for loot. People are already speed running it in under an hour though.

It's awesome, one of my faves this year!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's not particularly good for pick up and play as you need to save back in town, but I found sleep mode fine while plying through it.

Most people seem to finish it in 5-8 hours, it varies depending on if you want all the upgrades and how meticulously you are searching the areas for loot. People are already speed running it in under an hour though.

It's awesome, one of my faves this year!

thanks, ok this is gonna be my next purchase

qko

God I just picked up this game last night and was completely blown away. After so many people on GAF have been talking up this game I wanted to add more to the already positive reviews on this thread.

The graphics are what most surprised me since every single picture I've seen of reviews blow those pictures up to make it seem that this a pixelated piece of crap and that this game was a GBA game ported to DSiWare. The game moves so fluidly (feels like 60fps, but not sure if it is) and the jumping and controls are very tight and accurate which is necessary for this kind of game. Got to play for an hour and was about to open up a thread on how this should already be on like a "Top 5 eshop games" list. The price might seem like a bit too much, but I'm only hoping the game is long since that would be the only complaint that I would have from this game if that end up being true.

pariah164

Thank you, GAF. I just got this game.

I love this game. I'm not used to games where you have to pave your own path. It's scary and it's amazingly fun at the same time. It's good to hear a sequel is in the works, because I will buy it instantly.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just home from work and downloading it from the eshop , will give it a go then play some more tomorrow , awesome

What I played if it so far, I kind of find it zen digging away, only problem is I can see my self just randomly digging with no plan, this could cause my issues later on lol

pariah164

Just home from work and downloading it from the eshop , will give it a go then play some more tomorrow , awesome

What I played if it so far, I kind of find it zen digging away, only problem is I can see my self just randomly digging with no plan, this could cause my issues later on lol
Welcome to how I've been playing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Welcome to how I've been playing.

crap, so did it cause issues later on? : now I am more awake I am thinking about leaving areas I can wall jump against, plus a possible clear path upwards.

I like how you have rocks you cannot break so you have something to jump against to leave the mine.
also how the steam jump can help at time

The Lamp Ideas make sense now, love how the water drains..... game has so many nice touches :)

a possible spoiler about upgrades,
can you increase the length that your torch burns?
, or is this always fixed?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok as much as I love these type of games I always get stuck on them , I am
stuck in the mine with the three switches
I can do the first two , but I run out of light. Is the final one near by? Also do I need to mine first upgrade pick axe and then set off or can I play as I. Quest and mine as a side quest upgrade when I get cash, cheers for the help

pariah164

Ok as much as I love these type of games I always get stuck on them , I am
stuck in the mine with the three switches
I can do the first two , but I run out of light. Is the final one near by? Also do I need to mine first upgrade pick axe and then set off or can I play as I. Quest and mine as a side quest upgrade when I get cash, cheers for the help
I upgrade my lamp and pick whenever I can. You may have to hunt for gems first, then buy the upgrades, then do that mine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I did it saw the hint in the first page, have got a lot further now, and yeah am playing it like mine, upgrade, explore, rinse repeat

Holy fuck at
the steam punch
upgrade

Somnid

Just beat the game (4:33). My thoughts:

The game definitely seemed to play very safe. Like it seemed like the was a conscious effort to streamline things and keep the player from getting bored especially for this type of game. You never go more than a few minutes without something new and it's very careful not to drag. I think that was the right call as it makes it very tight and engaging from start to finish however, on the other hand, I think there were a number of missed opportunities to increase the depth (pun intended?). I could have done with some more of the optional puzzle caves at the very least.

But "what ifs" aside the overall game is very well put-together and really nailed what it was trying to do. The game keeps a consistent pace, constantly give you more to see, has some good bouts of deliberate platforming between ad-hoc mining platforming and the player physics feel damn good. I highly recommend it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Played more of this game, got stuck, turned it off.

But holy hell I love this game so much, amazing game ..

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If I play a game too long, I get tired and stuck, lol

Just can't jump out of an area is all lol

gunstarhero

Love this game so much - but I can't manage to beat
the boss - specifically the 3rd form

Still - loving it. A little easy though... unless what I think is the end of the game is not actually the end...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not even with
Steam Jump?

Either I ran out of water and couldn't activate it and wall jump or use that and the
static dash
to propel me out ,

Or I was so tired from playing too long the idea slipped my mind , yeah I am old

pariah164

Either I ran out of water and couldn't activate it and wall jump or use that and the
static dash
to propel me out ,

Or I was so tired from playing too long the idea slipped my mind , yeah I am old
This is why I always
buy a teleporter before going down; this way, even if I get stuck, I'm guaranteed a way out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Metroid, Castlevania or whatever...is this game any good? I've heard great things about it and I saw that it was n° 1 in the US eshop...now I'm curious.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This is why I always
buy a teleporter before going down; this way, even if I get stuck, I'm guaranteed a way out.

I did that but, didn't have the hindsight to wait, I set it at the entrance area thinking I will get in, find the upgrade come out the cave and get back to the surface.

But got stuck, got a nice train journey to work will play some of it then.

Metroid, Castlevania or whatever...is this game any good? I've heard great things about it and I saw that it was n° 1 in the US eshop...now I'm curious.

I brought this blind, didn't see any hype for it or anything related to it, I stumbled across the trailer on Nintendo UK's site, found out if GAF had an OT (we'rein it ), saw the recommendations and pulled the trigger..game is wonderful and a joy to play , once you get into the groove, about 30-45 mins of random(as in you learn the game rules by mining etc)digging then it starts to open up, then it grabs you, if you like exploring/zen mining and acquiring upgrades this is for you..buy it

edit: update/bump (get this game some first page love)

I think I am at the end of the game,
computer boss
but the best praise I can give it, is this. if you asked me to guess how long I played the game in total the last few days , I would hazard at around 3 - 4 hours, turned out is nearer 7, the game does not drag it is a joy to play, honestly it might even be my longest single play session on my 3DS, (i rarely play a game longer than 45 mins in one sitting)

I think I have found all the discoverable upgrades, still have a few to buy, any list knocking around?

My contender for hidden gem of 2013 :)

After seeing it on the ign top 25 list then reading this entire thread. I will be picking this up tomorrow it really looks like a fun game.

Tripon

Just beat it twice. Its a good game, but beating it twice seems to have done it for me. Hopefully there's a sequel coming out fairly soon.

dkopman1

Neo Member
I can't seem to access the blue orbs in the
dungeon you get the double jump
. It seems to be tucked away from everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Finally got the game! Played it for about an hour in my first setting and was very impressed. The next day I sat down to play it for a bit and all of a sudden it was four and a half hours later and I was watching the credits. So amazingly addictive.

Totally worth the money. Get it.

Top Bottom